Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

It appears efforts to raise private money have failed. Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena's board has sent a letter to the European Central Bank asking for an extension to mid-January to raise the 5 billion it needs.

If the ECB refuses than Italy will precede with a "bail in" in a few days. Rome is arguing that due to calm markets that the extension should be granted.
Update on this:

The European Central Bank has rejected Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena's request for more time to raise private money.

The bank's board should be meeting soon to request a bailout. The real question now is how Italy goes about it.

Does Rome follow EU rules and wipe out the savings of small time investors? Fueling anti-EU and strengthening anti-EU parties? Or attempt to shield them? Defying EU rules and undercutting the union. I don't see any good options.

UniCredit, Italy's largest bank, will announce being attempting to raise 13 billion starting Tuesday. I don't see them getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, for some reason I thought they'd compare daughters to mothers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mothers didn't hold jobs outside the home in appreciable numbers until the mid-late 70s/early 80s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Oracle posted:

Mothers didn't hold jobs outside the home in appreciable numbers until the mid-late 70s/early 80s.

You're confusing the white middle class with women in general.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Helsing posted:

You're confusing the white middle class with women in general.

He's exaggerating a bit, but not that much:

That's as far back as the data goes, but it'd probably look even more extreme before WW2.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oracle posted:

Sure, does that make the comparison invalid in terms of economic mobility? It seems like it tells a story.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Paradoxish posted:

He's exaggerating a bit, but not that much:

That's as far back as the data goes, but it'd probably look even more extreme before WW2.

25%-30% seems like an appreciable number, especially when you consider that those numbers aren't broken down by race. About 10% of the American population in 1950 were black so aggregating the labour force participation ratio of women in general can easily hide the actual experience of distinctive subgroups. The number of black mothers working outside the house was definitely higher than one in four.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, does that make the comparison invalid in terms of economic mobility? It seems like it tells a story.

The most accurate and unbiased way to do it would be to go off the head of household's income, regardless of gender, since that would capture interesting data given the increase in single parent households

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That sounds like it would capture head-of-household economic mobility, but not necessarily evaluate progress women have made in terms of their own economic capability.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

How's Intesa Sanpaolo doing?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

How's Intesa Sanpaolo doing?

All I could find was a chart showing that of it's loans 15.7% are bad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/statistics-non-performing-loans-npls-italy-banking-system-2016-11?r=UK&IR=T

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

haha oh my god they are so hosed. 15.7% NPL? that's horrific.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Helsing posted:

25%-30% seems like an appreciable number, especially when you consider that those numbers aren't broken down by race. About 10% of the American population in 1950 were black so aggregating the labour force participation ratio of women in general can easily hide the actual experience of distinctive subgroups. The number of black mothers working outside the house was definitely higher than one in four.

Yep, it looks like you're right about that:

Not only that, but labor force participation for black women is still higher than it is for women in general.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Oracle posted:

:munch:

Paradoxish posted:

Yep, it looks like you're right about that:

Not only that, but labor force participation for black women is still higher than it is for women in general.

Sorry, that graph conflicts with confident understanding that black mothers are unemployed welfare queens. Does not compute.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cheese posted:

:munch:

Sorry, that graph conflicts with confident understanding that black mothers are unemployed welfare queens. Does not compute.
Noone was suggesting anything about the race of said mothers until Helsing brought it up after my statement. Noone was making any kind of value judgement about minorities wrt work but enjoy your popcorn I guess?

30-35% is higher than I expected, I was thinking more along the lines of 25%. This was definitely higher among both the poor and women of color (as it remains). I stand corrected.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oracle posted:

Noone was suggesting anything about the race of said mothers until Helsing brought it up after my statement. Noone was making any kind of value judgement about minorities wrt work but enjoy your popcorn I guess?

30-35% is higher than I expected, I was thinking more along the lines of 25%. This was definitely higher among both the poor and women of color (as it remains). I stand corrected.

He was making a joke.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Depending on how this plays out we may have to scratch low oil prices off the OP list.

OPEC and non-OPEC producers have come to an agreement to slash production by 1.8 million barrels produced per day.

Saudi Arabia has stated it may cut production even more than it's agreed too. Although there's speculation that, like most times, some nations (especially Russia) will not cut back or cut back less than agreed.

At the moment though the news has oil prices up 20% from Nov 30. Analysts predict it will take a year for the US and other Shale producers to pick up production enough to offset the cut back. Bank of Americas Blanch forecast $70 by mid-2017.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Oracle posted:

MiddleOne posted:

He was making a joke.
:smugdon:

OhFunny posted:

Depending on how this plays out we may have to scratch low oil prices off the OP list.

OPEC and non-OPEC producers have come to an agreement to slash production by 1.8 million barrels produced per day.

Saudi Arabia has stated it may cut production even more than it's agreed too. Although there's speculation that, like most times, some nations (especially Russia) will not cut back or cut back less than agreed.

At the moment though the news has oil prices up 20% from Nov 30. Analysts predict it will take a year for the US and other Shale producers to pick up production enough to offset the cut back. Bank of America’s Blanch forecast $70 by mid-2017.
We will see. Curious to see if and for how long that can counteract sagging global demand.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Oracle posted:

The graph that was posted was for all women, not specifically mothers, or even married women. So presumably the actual percentage of mothers who were working could very well be significantly lower than 30-35%, once you account for childless women.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Monte Paschi is pulling out all the stops.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-11/monte-paschi-is-said-to-plan-reopening-debt-swap-to-avoid-rescue

Bloomberg posted:

Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA is making a last-ditch effort to raise funds as the prospect of a state rescue looms.

After regulators rebuffed its request for an extension, the worlds oldest bank said it will press ahead with a plan to raise 5 billion euros ($5.3 billion) from investors in the next 19 days. As the odds of attracting fresh investment lengthened, the chance of a government bailout that will impose losses on bondholders grew.

The recap of Banca MPS on the market remains extremely difficult to realize in the current context and in such short period of time, Banca Akros analyst Luigi Tramontana wrote in a note to clients. The alternative would be the nationalization of the bank and burden-sharing by hybrid and subordinated bondholders.

Monte Paschi suffered a blow last week when Prime Minister Matteo Renzi quit after losing a national referendum on constitutional reforms. His resignation clouded Italys political outlook just as the troubled Italian bank was seeking to lure investors to its clean-up plan, prompting the lender to make the unsuccessful bid to the European Central Bank for a three-week extension, said people with knowledge of the matter.

Debt Swap

The bank now plans to give bondholders another chance to exchange its debt for equity, after initially persuading investors holding about 1 billion euros of bonds to convert. A stock sale would follow the debt swap, though banks havent yet committed to underwriting the transaction, Monte Paschi said. Should the share offering proceed, about 28 billion euros of bad loans would be removed from the banks balance sheet, bundled into securities and sold to investors.

Observers werent optimistic on the prospects for success. Manuela Meroni, an analyst at Banca IMI SpA, wrote Monday that a so-called precautionary capital increase with help from the state and burden-sharing by debt holders was the most likely outcome.

Monte Paschi shares rose 6.6 percent by 1:23 p.m. in Milan, after dropping 11 percent on Friday. The stock has fallen 82 percent this year, giving the company a market value of 609 million euros, or about a eighth of the amount its trying to raise from investors.

Monte Paschi is planning to ask retail investors to swap about 2 billion euros of subordinated bonds for equity, once it gets regulatory permission to eliminate some clauses that had discouraged savers from participating in the previous swap, people familiar with the deal said. The bank aims to complete the debt exchange over the coming week, and expects to raise an additional 1 billion euros, said the people, who asked not to be identified.

Qatar Question

Chief Executive Officer Marco Morelli, who took over in September, has traveled far and wide seeking investors willing to take a big bet on the companys turnaround. An increased participation by bondholders would allow the bank to get a commitment for about 1 billion euros from Qatars sovereign wealth fund, while the banks advising the deal would place the remaining shares with investors in the market before Christmas, according to the people.

A representative for the Qatar Investment Authority was not immediately available for comment.

While the bank kept seeking private investors, the Italian government was putting the finishing touches on plan B, which would impose losses on bondholders, a government official said Friday.

Another challenge for policy makers will be to prevent any fallout from spreading to other Italian or European lenders. Italys banks are burdened with about 360 billion euros in troubled loans. Five of the six worst-performing stocks this year on Italys benchmark FTSE MIB Index are banks, and, as in the case of Monte Paschi, many of the banks bondholders are households.

Monte Paschi is seen as systemically relevant and must be handled with considerable caution, ECB Governing Council member Ewald Nowotny told reporters in Vienna Monday.

A debt for equity swap in a failing institution as your "Plan A" is...well it definitely is bold.

Stupid, but bold.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why doesn't anbang or some other Chinese industrial concern go and bail it out?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

quote:

The chief executive of Carriers parent company says many of those jobs at that plant in Indiana will now be lost to automation.

Maybe Trump will make robots illegal.

So what's the current plan for the eventuality where majority of the population is unemployed because they are simply worse choice than some piece of code?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

throw to first drat IT posted:

So what's the current plan for the eventuality where majority of the population is unemployed because they are simply worse choice than some piece of code?

Make unemployment illegal.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

BarbarianElephant posted:

Make unemployment illegal.

Eh... Like in Belarus?
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4412427.ece

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The same as the plan for the eventuality where half the coast disappears into the sea due to climate change: "gently caress it, hopefully by the time it becomes an immediate problem, I'll have made a huge fortune by ignoring the problem, so I can retire to a fortified compound somewhere and dealing with the fallout can be someone else's problem".

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Pay half of the 99% to imprison, exploit and oppress the other half? You know, the plan rich people always have.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

Why doesn't anbang or some other Chinese industrial concern go and bail it out?

Because you're throwing good money after bad. You're not going to make any money on it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

axeil posted:

Because you're throwing good money after bad. You're not going to make any money on it.

I'm currently under the impression the chinese don't care how well their investments perform.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

I'm currently under the impression the chinese don't care how well their investments perform.

They'll have to eventually or face the consequences, this is why fiat currencies are tricky.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

A few things I've been reading about :

1. Monte Paschi

I think we've pretty much covered the various scenarios that can occur with Monte Paschi, but recall how earlier in the thread when Mozi said it takes some time for people to notice just how bad things might be?

It appears people (or rather investors) have noticed and are pulling their money out. Monte Paschi's deposits lost 6 billion worth of euros between September 30 and December 13. 2 billion since a December 4 referendum.

The government stepping in I think is all but certain.

2. American credit card debt reaches all time high.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Credit underlines our economic system. You buy with credit and then pay later.

What concerns me is that the high amount of credit card debt per household, almost $8,000, suggests that our growth is being fueled by credit instead of income. Unemployment is low, but part-time jobs and stagnant wages means credit is supplementing low incomes. Defaults are low at 2.86%, but I think it's something to watch.

3. Stock Market and US economy

Interesting talk from David Rosenburg. He points out that for the first half of the year that US GPD growth was essentially flat at 1%. It was stronger in the 3rd quarter, but estimates from UBS, JP Morgen, etc for 4th quarter growth are below 2%. The return of higher rates and more traditional monetary policy from the Fed signals slower 1st quarter growth in 2017. Trump sending plan (if it happens) won't kick in until the later half of 2017 and is way everyone is talking about stronger US growth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had a (pretty uneducated) thought. If we do see another crash and depression, does that present an opportunity to buy up a bunch of cheap stock, or is that inadvisable? If everyone has the same idea, won't that cause stock prices to rise back up?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I had a (pretty uneducated) thought. If we do see another crash and depression, does that present an opportunity to buy up a bunch of cheap stock, or is that inadvisable? If everyone has the same idea, won't that cause stock prices to rise back up?

The problem is, some of that stock can become worthless is the company fails entirely.

In the near future, the companies that get bailed out are going to be at the whims of Trump and his friends. I guess it depends on how sure you are in buying the stocks of companies that Trump and friends favor.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

If we do see another crash and depression, does that present an opportunity to buy up a bunch of cheap stock, or is that inadvisable?

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The problem is, some of that stock can become worthless is the company fails entirely.

In the near future, the companies that get bailed out are going to be at the whims of Trump and his friends. I guess it depends on how sure you are in buying the stocks of companies that Trump and friends favor.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Baron Rothschild, an 18th century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

:ohdear:

I think I'm gonna find some other way to make a living/save up for retirement and stuff.

edit: I also just can't really see a genuine, reliable way to make more than marginal profit off of the stock market without both a major crash and a whole bunch of luck. Honestly, it really terrifies me that we have things like the 401k that play with our futures based on the stock market - if there's a crash, there's a LOT of people that suddenly don't have the money to continue living past 65. How could anyone think this is a good idea?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 31, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
please stop peeking behind the curtain

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

edit: I also just can't really see a genuine, reliable way to make more than marginal profit off of the stock market without both a major crash and a whole bunch of luck.

Insider trading

quote:

Honestly, it really terrifies me that we have things like the 401k that play with our futures based on the stock market - if there's a crash, there's a LOT of people that suddenly don't have the money to continue living past 65. How could anyone think this is a good idea?

:getin: :capitalism:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

How could anyone think this is a good idea?

It's not........if your goal is a stable fund for long term needs such as retirement. If your goal is to get your hands on the biggest pot of money possible so you can gamble it on the markets and skim as much personal wealth off the top in fees while off loading the risk burden to others then suddenly it's a really, really good idea.

Guess which of those two types has enough individual wealth laying around to pay for an army of lobbyists and get financial laws written to benefit themselves?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Well, 2016 is over and this thread didn't deliver.

2017 will likely be a shitshow tough, so stay tuned. My unimaginative guess: trump trade fuckery with China starts a chain reaction which will involve house bubbles in China, Canada and Australia to burst. Europe stays poor and stagnant, and keep electing far right whackos. Latin America sparks some spectacular financial crises.

So yeah, happy new year everyone!

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

:ohdear:

I think I'm gonna find some other way to make a living/save up for retirement and stuff.

edit: I also just can't really see a genuine, reliable way to make more than marginal profit off of the stock market without both a major crash and a whole bunch of luck. Honestly, it really terrifies me that we have things like the 401k that play with our futures based on the stock market - if there's a crash, there's a LOT of people that suddenly don't have the money to continue living past 65. How could anyone think this is a good idea?

The "creator" of the 401k never intended it to be what it is today, and concept of retiring solely on a 401k is a giant experiment. The classic three legs of retirement no longer exist for most people: government (Social Security), pension, and savings.

If you're aware of the risks, 401k's are beautiful, but they are indeed risky. In my opinion it's all asking too much. It should be enough to simply do something useful, do it well, and be taken care of later in life. This would be where you receive a fair pension for doing good work over your work life. Why do you also need to be a financial analyst? It's asking too much. Alas, that's the way it be. No use from wishing it weren't. We live in a capitalist society and you have to play by capitalist rules. The advantage, if you take time to understand it and work at it, is a lot of potential freedom. Again, should it be this way? No, I wish it weren't. But then I used to work with a lot of older guys, brilliant at their careers, decades of good and useful work in the rearview, but totally clueless in their investments and financial life. When it's all said and done, the guy who was mediocre at his job but learned some financial savvy will be better off in retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

paternity suitor posted:

The "creator" of the 401k never intended it to be what it is today, and concept of retiring solely on a 401k is a giant experiment. The classic three legs of retirement no longer exist for most people: government (Social Security), pension, and savings.

If you're aware of the risks, 401k's are beautiful, but they are indeed risky. In my opinion it's all asking too much. It should be enough to simply do something useful, do it well, and be taken care of later in life. This would be where you receive a fair pension for doing good work over your work life. Why do you also need to be a financial analyst? It's asking too much. Alas, that's the way it be. No use from wishing it weren't. We live in a capitalist society and you have to play by capitalist rules. The advantage, if you take time to understand it and work at it, is a lot of potential freedom. Again, should it be this way? No, I wish it weren't. But then I used to work with a lot of older guys, brilliant at their careers, decades of good and useful work in the rearview, but totally clueless in their investments and financial life. When it's all said and done, the guy who was mediocre at his job but learned some financial savvy will be better off in retirement.

Mind sharing quotes of the intention of the 401k, by somebody who had a hand in making them? Honestly I'm curious as to how it started.

• Locked thread