Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Also Mon Mothma was just some lady, Tarkin was played by a legend of the silver screen. Recasting the role would open the filmmakers up to just as much criticism. They should have written around the problem.

I don't think anyone would've gotten really mad about recasting Tarkin. It's not like that many people are upset about the CGI. Recasting the role would've been a lot classier then making a puppet of a dead man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
99% of people: Wow, Tarkin was really well done. He almost looked completely real!

Insufferable internet nerds: *Farts out of own mouth for page after page

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Loden Taylor posted:

Tarkin didn't look bad, he just didn't look real. Like, if this had been a completely CGI movie, I would have thought "wow, that's amazing, they've really come a long way with animating people." Putting him next to real live people made me think "holy christ, that was a bad idea."

Agreed. Yeah, he looked like a video game, but he looked like a really, really good one. Like, a Playstation 6 or something. I didn't even get a creepy uncanny valley vibe from it, it was that good.

But like I said, he kinda felt like a cartoon and having him there right next to live actors made it feel like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. If he was in a fully animated movie, he'd be fine.

Honestly, it just makes me kinda want them to make a couple Star Wars animated movies that are made for TV or something and are in the Clone Wars \ Rebels style, but just with characters like Luke, Han and Leia. Like, maybe do loose adaptations of Shadows of the Empire, the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing books, but updated to fit into the new continuity. Those and KOTOR are like the only good EU stories worth keeping anyway. They already have Thrawn in Rebels and there's a 30 year gap between episodes 6 and 7, so I'm sure you could fit something in there.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Nutsngum posted:

99% of people: Wow, Tarkin was really well done. He almost looked completely real!

This is probably correct but still every scene with that dude looked weird to me

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-tAyYaDnak

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Loden Taylor posted:

Tarkin didn't look bad, he just didn't look real. Like, if this had been a completely CGI movie, I would have thought "wow, that's amazing, they've really come a long way with animating people." Putting him next to real live people made me think "holy christ, that was a bad idea."

A few nights ago I watched about 10-15 minutes of the Beowulf CG movie that came out about 10 years ago and I was sort of struck with how 'modern' and even good it looked and I tried to figure it out. Then it hit me that maybe it doesn't seem so jarring now because I'm so used to so many live-action movies having completely CG environments, props, costumes, etc. that it seems almost 'normal'.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

They could have also used an actor who even slightly resembled Peter Cushing and used makeup and facial prosthetics to finish the job. Practical effects didn't stop being a thing.

I mean, you know they did do this for Episode 3 and it looked less realistic than the CGI, right?

I love Wayne Pygram, and yet I'd take the CGI Tarkin over creepy prosthetic Tarkin, to be honest.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I would watch a Star Wars zombie movie.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

watching two turkeys eating chicken makes me hungry

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Four friends of mine didn't noticed that Tarkin was CG (So... point to VFX guys, I guess...), but they also had no idea who Tarkin was, so in the end they could have put anyone else in the role that it would have worked for the general public just fine...

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
jesus christ who cares about cgi tarkin one way or another

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dylan McKay posted:

jesus christ who cares about cgi tarkin one way or another

He looked really bad and people who didn't notice the difference have something wrong with their brains.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a bone to pick posted:

He looked really bad and people who didn't notice the difference have something wrong with their brains.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thexerox123 posted:

I mean, you know they did do this for Episode 3 and it looked less realistic than the CGI, right?

I love Wayne Pygram, and yet I'd take the CGI Tarkin over creepy prosthetic Tarkin, to be honest.

It looked better in the actual movie.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Does anyone have the gif of Mike enjoying Dan's crystal skull vodka?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also can someone post that gif of mike punching a lot of guys

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

They don't care about Star War?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

also can someone post that gif of mike punching a lot of guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvv-kgq6YWw

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Nutsngum posted:

Literally just clicking the first major critic review on RottenTomatoes:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/12/rogue-one-star-wars-and-the-challenge-of-the-newish/510710/

quote:

A couple of old friends return as well, including Grand Moff Tarkin, who is creepily played by a CGI version of the original actor, Peter Cushing, who passed away in 1994. Whatever one’s thoughts on the tastefulness (or lack thereof) of this particular “casting” decision, it’s a gimmick that wears exceedingly thin over the multiple scenes in which Tarkin appears.

So unless The Atlantic are insufferable internet nerds now.

And like every Star Wars fan this film was made for has complained about the CGI characters. They're some of the biggest talking heads who are pushing the movie on social media, and the very best I've seen from them is generally saying that one or the other of the appearances was "fine" but never both.

Sometimes things are just poo poo. And it doesn't make your penis any bigger if you say that the people calling out the bullshit are (insert stereotype about male internet users).

As one must always point out in CineD, yes it's okay if you liked the thing. Just because the thing was terrible and basically everybody hated the thing, doesn't mean that we're saying you're not allowed to like the thing. We're just saying that's a bad opinion to have.

Paladinus posted:

It looked better in the actual movie.

That's a great trailer from NVIDIA to showcase their new graphics card and I'm sure it'll look great in the new animated series on Cartoon Network. But what did they use in the actual movie?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

revdrkevind posted:

That's a great trailer from NVIDIA to showcase their new graphics card and I'm sure it'll look great in the new animated series on Cartoon Network. But what did they use in the actual movie?

In Ep III they've used an actual actor with prosthetics, and that's him on the left. In R1 they had an actual actor who looks like Cushing on set, but then made him a CGI face. Hope that helps.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

revdrkevind posted:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
CGI fishface captain was way worse than CGI Tarkin.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It looks ok in picture form, its just when the face starts moving when you realize (or apparently don't realize?) that its not a real human being on the screen.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I hope they review Passengers

Because Chris Pratt's character is basically some combination of a murderer-rapist-kidnapper. But because he's a lovable, 'duh duh' idiot, it's played off as a forgivable slip-up. I've always wondered how scenes in movies would feel different if the bad guy was on screen but without the sinister music playing, and I guess that's what this movie was.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

I hope they review Passengers

Because Chris Pratt's character is basically some combination of a murderer-rapist-kidnapper. But because he's a lovable, 'duh duh' idiot, it's played off as a forgivable slip-up. I've always wondered how scenes in movies would feel different if the bad guy was on screen but without the sinister music playing, and I guess that's what this movie was.
So should I see it in theaters or wait to watch it as a cheap rental?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
*in Brian Cummings voice* "There's been some bandit activity at the mine... let me mark it on your map..."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

It's weird some were so put off by it and others not at all.

I was pretty impressed by it, but I went into the movie not knowing there would be any CGI characters. Is it possible people who went in knowing there'd be a CGI Tarken were primed to look for the seams?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mng posted:

Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a bone to pick posted:

It looks ok in picture form, its just when the face starts moving when you realize (or apparently don't realize?) that its not a real human being on the screen.

I haven't even seen the movie and that picture looks so obviously fake. So you're saying it looks even worse somehow in the movie?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I haven't even seen the movie and that picture looks so obviously fake. So you're saying it looks even worse somehow in the movie?

Yes, and people thought it was a real human being.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

King Vidiot posted:

It looks really good for like 5 seconds.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

revdrkevind posted:

Literally just clicking the first major critic review on RottenTomatoes:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/12/rogue-one-star-wars-and-the-challenge-of-the-newish/510710/

So unless The Atlantic are insufferable internet nerds now.

And like every Star Wars fan this film was made for has complained about the CGI characters. They're some of the biggest talking heads who are pushing the movie on social media, and the very best I've seen from them is generally saying that one or the other of the appearances was "fine" but never both.

Sometimes things are just poo poo. And it doesn't make your penis any bigger if you say that the people calling out the bullshit are (insert stereotype about male internet users).

As one must always point out in CineD, yes it's okay if you liked the thing. Just because the thing was terrible and basically everybody hated the thing, doesn't mean that we're saying you're not allowed to like the thing. We're just saying that's a bad opinion to have.

Why should I listen to a guy who posts in CineD? I want a one thousand word response with article references and quotations thankyou.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

quote:

loving hell

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

he looked fine in r1 and he looked fine in episode 3. stop crying. your star wars is gonna be okay.

...leia looked like a loving baboon though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Doctor Dogballs posted:

he looked fine in r1 and he looked fine in episode 3. stop crying. your star wars is gonna be okay.

...leia looked like a loving baboon though.

Leia was only in the movie for like....30 seconds, so you're wrong.

Tarkin looked like old fake balls, the gag gift stuff you buy at spencers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Something I noticed when watching A New Hope the other day - Red Leader and Gold Leader were both in Rogue One too. I looked it up and they used unused footage in R1. Red Leader actor guy died earlier in 2016 but Gold Leader guy is still around.

Just thought that was kinda interesting, I knew they looked familiar in R1..

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Leia's face was on screen for 5 seconds Max. I remember she got the card handed to her, said thank you and smiled. I honestly thought they cast Maggie Gyllenhaal. She did look human when I saw it until she smiled where it got uncanny.

Trakin was fine, although I wish he was a little bit more animated and they paid more attention to micro expressions, it was a little wooden. The voice work was a little sub-par as it seem to lack menace and wasn't British enough, better work here would have done wonders doing way more than rendering more pores on the face. I am sure they could have ploughed more resources and time into it, it worked well enough.

priznat posted:

Something I noticed when watching A New Hope the other day - Red Leader and Gold Leader were both in Rogue One too. I looked it up and they used unused footage in R1. Red Leader actor guy died earlier in 2016 but Gold Leader guy is still around.

Just thought that was kinda interesting, I knew they looked familiar in R1..

That was some really cool stuff and I grinned hard. It was great.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

priznat posted:

And Red 5 got killed, leaving a spot open for Luke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those unused shots were the best in the film. Nice film grain. They shoulda added some to the rest of the film.

• Locked thread