Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
"Known for his surrealist films, he has developed a unique cinematic style. The surreal and, in many cases, violent elements contained within his films have been known to 'disturb, offend or mystify' audiences" is how the Wikipedia entry for David Lynch begins. I think you can basically swap out "films" for "video games" and get a good summary of Taro Yoko's style.

Continuing this analogy, imagine a David Lynch who got stuck making nothing but Dune movies, and that's not far from what Drakengard is like for Taro Yoko--projects that are messy and unsuccessful at being action games, but the sheer weirdness and darkness are compelling in a way that makes you wish he had a better studio to work with. Enter Nier Automata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/dodonpahchi/status/814274016236032000

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Holy poo poo how do you rocket forward like that

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
This video explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp9L9GKGFH0

It only works in specific locations. Looks like it's a physics glitch.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Taro Yoko is a Dark Lord of the Sith. Whenever he makes players suffer, his nipples tingle. Which explains the grin.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cephas posted:

"Known for his surrealist films, he has developed a unique cinematic style. The surreal and, in many cases, violent elements contained within his films have been known to 'disturb, offend or mystify' audiences" is how the Wikipedia entry for David Lynch begins. I think you can basically swap out "films" for "video games" and get a good summary of Taro Yoko's style.

Continuing this analogy, imagine a David Lynch who got stuck making nothing but Dune movies, and that's not far from what Drakengard is like for Taro Yoko--projects that are messy and unsuccessful at being action games, but the sheer weirdness and darkness are compelling in a way that makes you wish he had a better studio to work with. Enter Nier Automata.

Yeah, really "David Lynch but Japanese and Video games" pretty much sums him up as a person. His games have never been huge financial successes (IIRC NieR at least broke even for the company though), but he has amassed a cult following based on his particular style and storytelling.

Think of something like Twin Peaks where, after you finish watching it the first time, you watch it again except this time there are extra scenes portraying (Twin Peaks spoilers) BOB as a heroic figure. A figurative cork in the bottle preventing a full on invasion by the red room, who had to kill Laura Palmer because she was the leader of a cult seeking to bring about the End of All Things. This time you watch it, instead of possessing Cooper at the end of the series, Cooper taps into latent psychic powers and kills BOB with mind bullets, thinking that'll end his murderous spree, but in doing so breaks the dam of reality between our world and the Red Room. It turns out that Little Mike in the red room was manipulating Cooper from the start and now that he's able to take his true form on Earth, completely annihilates Cooper body and soul. That would be how Taro Yoko's house style works.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 30, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just finished the demo. Enjoyed how the combat isn't really about memorizing combos, but knowing what attacks can chain into others. Having weapon switch on a face or shoulder button rather than up on the dpad is a necessity I think, in order to chain different attacks together and get the most out of the combat system.

I wonder what game length will be like. If this has typical RPG length, it'll be unprecidented for a game with this sort of combat.

I really like the collaboration between studios based on who is good at what. Wish it happened more often.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's actually going to have an RPG structure and multiple endings so I expect more length than your run of the mill brawler. Based on the structure of the level in the demo it's probably gonna be more like a dungeon-ish area you revisit in the full game rather than a traditional "level" because of the shortcuts and the areas you can't access in the demo.

Also the game is gonna have mad air game if there's anything like an enemy step chip

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arcanen posted:

I wonder what game length will be like. If this has typical RPG length, it'll be unprecidented for a game with this sort of combat.

I really like the collaboration between studios based on who is good at what. Wish it happened more often.

For game length, if all of Yoko Taro's other games are any indication, you should expect a first playthrough to last somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 hours. But his games (almost?) always have New Game+ modes with story differences and multiple playthroughs are required to get all of the endings--and things usually start getting really interesting in playthroughs past the first. Going by HowLongToBeat.com, the first Nier takes 19-ish hours for a first playthrough and then anywhere from 35-40 hours for full story completion (and a lot more if you want all of the weapons and collectibles). Drakengard 3 is around that length, too, for a more recent example.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Gameplay talk: I don't know if anyone knows how to pull this off reliably, but there's this one move I've been trying to pull off where 2B throws her sword forward like a buzzsaw, while simultaneously launching herself forward as well. I'm pretty sure you have to be dashing to start. The only way I've been able to get it to work is by hitting dodge+LA+jump while dashing. Am I missing something here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Press light attack + jump to have her throw it forward while she hops back, do the same while holding forward on the stick to have her follow the sword. You can't cancel out if it so I'm not sure it's that useful.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh neat, thanks. I just want to look cool sometimes is all.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

haven't seen anyone else talk about this but if you rub the touch pad 2B pets the robot buddy. that's important, i think

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sharrrk posted:

haven't seen anyone else talk about this but if you rub the touch pad 2B pets the robot buddy. that's important, i think

goty

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Harrow posted:

For game length, if all of Yoko Taro's other games are any indication, you should expect a first playthrough to last somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 hours. But his games (almost?) always have New Game+ modes with story differences and multiple playthroughs are required to get all of the endings--and things usually start getting really interesting in playthroughs past the first. Going by HowLongToBeat.com, the first Nier takes 19-ish hours for a first playthrough and then anywhere from 35-40 hours for full story completion (and a lot more if you want all of the weapons and collectibles). Drakengard 3 is around that length, too, for a more recent example.

I think i was about 25 hours for my first playthrough of Nier (first & second endings), about 15-20 for Revengence, so if it matches that for a first runthrough, I'll be very happy. As long as it doesn't have a 'collect/level all weapons' requirement for an ending (though we all know it will).

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I think i was about 25 hours for my first playthrough of Nier (first & second endings), about 15-20 for Revengence, so if it matches that for a first runthrough, I'll be very happy. As long as it doesn't have a 'collect/level all weapons' requirement for an ending (though we all know it will).

I'm curious if they'll mix Taro's and Platinum's new game + progressions and make you play harder difficulties on top of other requirements.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nina posted:

I'm curious if they'll mix Taro's and Platinum's new game + progressions and make you play harder difficulties on top of other requirements.

Would be nice if they did.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm half expecting an ending to be locked behind something absurd like "collect all the weapons and beat Very Hard with the save point chip unequipped"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Everyone's explanation of YT was enticing enough that I read all the Drakengard lps and I am fully prepared for the insanity that surely follows in NieR.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

Everyone's explanation of YT was enticing enough that I read all the Drakengard lps and I am fully prepared for the insanity that surely follows in NieR.

Nier is relatively reserved, honestly. It's quirky, but Yoko never really topped the full-throated lunacy that went down in the first Drakengard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Nier is relatively reserved, honestly. It's quirky, but Yoko never really topped the full-throated lunacy that went down in the first Drakengard.

Hell, not even the other two Drakengard games got quite as batshit crazy as the first one did (though 3 probably came the closest). Though to be fair, an army of giant cannibal space babies is kind of hard to top.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I admit I skipped most of the 2 LP after a point because I was tired of the hilarious commentary combined with the bad story.
It is hard to beat taking the rhythm boss enemy to the real world and then getting hit by fighter jets and being impaled on the Tokyo tower.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nina posted:

I'm half expecting an ending to be locked behind something absurd like "collect all the weapons and beat Very Hard with the save point chip unequipped"

It has a Nier-style repeat playthrough but the repeat playthroughs force on the higher difficulty levels. :getin:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bogart posted:

I admit I skipped most of the 2 LP after a point because I was tired of the hilarious commentary combined with the bad story.
It is hard to beat taking the rhythm boss enemy to the real world and then getting hit by fighter jets and being impaled on the Tokyo tower.

2 is the point where they went "maybe if we moderate Taro this will become marketable" but it was just a bad move in general.

IIRC he wanted to make it an arcadey game about dragons in space.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nina posted:

2 is the point where they went "maybe if we moderate Taro this will become marketable" but it was just a bad move in general.

To my understanding it kind of worked since Drakengard 2 is the most popular entry in the series in Japan.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Nina posted:

Taro Yoko didn't have a drat thing to do with Drakengard 2.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 31, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hello Nier Automata Thread.

I just preordered this and I'm super hype without actually informing myself at all about the game. I spend ridiculous amounts of money on the Nier Soundtracks and will probably buy all Nier Automata Related Things.

Edit:

Wasn't the Drakengard 2 Director some no name guy they poached from the Drakengard 1 team?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The Dark Id posted:

Taro Yoko didn't have a drat thing to do with Drakengard 2.

I was under the impression he was in some kind of a team involved but not key personnel? Though this is based on citations sourced to japanese articles I can't read so it's fair enough to assume it's false

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nina posted:

I was under the impression he was in some kind of a team involved but not key personnel? Though this is based on citations sourced to japanese articles I can't read so it's fair enough to assume it's false

He is credited as "Video Editor" I think. Which means poo poo all probably and is a honorary credit at best?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe he edited the cutscenes?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

maybe he edited the cutscenes?

Wouldn't it be weird to go from Game Director to Video Editing Grunt, other than it being a punitive assignment due to some corporate stuff going on?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

He is credited as "Video Editor" I think. Which means poo poo all probably and is a honorary credit at best?

He was working on some other project (Cavia was basically a crummy licensed game sweatshop outside weird original titles) and the guy directing Drakengard 2 pretty much ignored the little input he had and made a boring sequel starring one of the stupidest protagonists ever.

Obligatory picture of Taro Yoko punching Drakengard 2's director in the face.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Dark Id posted:

(Cavia was basically a crummy licensed game sweatshop outside weird original titles)
Was Cavia the one with the... time traveling history museum game?... that never got made? Was YT on that?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh boy, right. They did Resident Evil Dead Aim and Bullet Witch.. Thanks, secret Yoko Taro Internet alias, the Dark Id

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

YT puppet talks about how 9/11 changed everything about his perspective on videogame violence

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Oxxidation posted:

Nier trades insanity for heartrending sadness. I think it's the last game I actually cried at the (final) end of.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Brainamp posted:

Nier trades insanity for heartrending sadness. I think it's the last game I actually cried at the (final) end of.

YT says that his understanding of player characters changed from "they must be insane to kill so much" to "they must really think they are right to kill so much" in making nier and that shift creates the basis for tragedy.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Genocyber posted:

It has a Nier-style repeat playthrough but the repeat playthroughs force on the higher difficulty levels. :getin:

I'm cool with this as long as the repeats start from the beginning of the game and not at the halfway point again. I somehow managed to find and complete all the first half sidequests without a guide and without knowing where NG+ starts so luckily I dodged that bullet but goddamn what a dick move.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

I'm cool with this as long as the repeats start from the beginning of the game and not at the halfway point again. I somehow managed to find and complete all the first half sidequests without a guide and without knowing where NG+ starts so luckily I dodged that bullet but goddamn what a dick move.

Eh, you do miss out on content but you can just start a new game if you really want to do them. None of them are needed to actually complete the game, and starting from the halfway point makes far more sense from a pacing perspective.

I'd prefer Nier 2 to be designed for starting from the beginning, mainly for maximum new enemy placements, but where exactly they start you doesn't matter so long as they don't cut you off from important content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Looking forward to the new flowers quest