Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

I also have on good authority wtfosaurus is super butt hurty about us making fun of him here

e: smartdoge tax

Good. That delusional fuckface that spent $11k on a videogame deserves every single insult we can throw at him AND his ridiculous red loving hair. I have gotten more laughs out of watching him suffer trying to play space shootyman with a broken game for so long now trying to imagine it is a real game that I was a little worried that once the Space Marine thing happened that I would lose out on that entertainment. Then the wallhack cheat happened and seeing the new heights that WTFO has melted down because the game he waited so long for has been robbed from him is loving priceless. So I guess the real MVP here is the goon that wrote the cheat from Wallhacks. Thank you for giving us all the gift that will keep on giving. Yeah, the salt harvest will be even more bountiful than ever as soon as they find a way to start snyping their chariots too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

Remember in the truly brain washed citizens mind , this is already a AAA game totally deserving of hundreds or thousands of dollars from each person

You can't post cheats man that would ruin all the totally legit fun people are having , now excuse me I need to reboot my computer and load highmem and xms to play another round of Star Marine

It's a fully-functional AAA game when discussing cheating or exploits, and it's a pre-alpha development effort when discussing gameplay or stability.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a fully-functional AAA game when discussing cheating or exploits, and it's a pre-alpha development effort when discussing gameplay or stability.

The issue I take with the Shitizens is that they keep insisting it's a AAA rated game when neither it, any of its modules, or any of their studios have released a single thing. Until that happens they are just a crowdfunded R&D studio. That's it. CIG has yet to release a game for them to be called a game studio let alone one that has a rating.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DapperDon posted:

The issue I take with the Shitizens is that they keep insisting it's a AAA rated game when neither it, any of its modules, or any of their studios have released a single thing. Until that happens they are just a crowdfunded R&D studio. That's it. CIG has yet to release a game for them to be called a game studio let alone one that has a rating.

Self-delusion is a hell of a thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Plebian space sim Hellion released a dev blog today that covers a pretty wide area of interesting topics, including sound design, inventory, and examples of modules for a space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsKUBTYk5k

Man it must suck to not have a creative visionary determining your path forward, forcing you to rely on design documents and a well defined scope.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Self-delusion is a hell of a thing.

I have a friend of mine that is a crisis prevention counselor take a look at their forums and the subreddit and about had a stroke from laughing so hard at his reactions to the things they were saying. Long story short, he is fairly certain that a lot of those people need to start taking their meds and seek active counseling. Big red flags were pointed at Cymelion.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Plebian space sim Hellion released a dev blog today that covers a pretty wide area of interesting topics, including sound design, inventory, and examples of modules for a space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsKUBTYk5k

Man it must suck to not have a creative visionary determining your path forward, forcing you to rely on design documents and a well defined scope.

I saw you posted that on Twitter and was meaning to ask you about that game. What do you think?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

My best friend passed away Christmas eve. Went to the open casket service last nite. 2016 has been a monster. I haven't slept or eaten right in days. Glad to have this place and you guys to get my mind off of things. :negative:.

My condolences

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DapperDon posted:

I saw you posted that on Twitter and was meaning to ask you about that game. What do you think?

I think it has the potential to be pretty cool. It basically does all the space stuff that people want in Star Citizen; immersive environment, emphasis on first person, world building, etc. We've also seen a healthy number of videos that suggest the developers are putting a lot of effort into having solid game mechanics. The question for me is whether or not those mechanics translate to a game that has long term appeal and how popular the game will be.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DapperDon posted:

I have a friend of mine that is a crisis prevention counselor take a look at their forums and the subreddit and about had a stroke from laughing so hard at his reactions to the things they were saying. Long story short, he is fairly certain that a lot of those people need to start taking their meds and seek active counseling. Big red flags were pointed at Cymelion.

Aww man I'd love to hear your friend say more about that. It'd be interesting to see what your friend considers to be more egregious warning signs.

Also have him read the Sandi letters. :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skaboomizzy posted:

Between his obvious hatred of the game, goon mockery, the fact he couldn't go to GamesCom (because he's paid) and everything else, I wonder why he won't give up his glamorous life of being Twitch's top SC streamer with an audience of 200.

It's possible that the money he's earning from some random company not related to CIG to play only Star Citizen is good money.

At least in his resume he can include a "will play no matter how bad it gets" with a questionable price tag association for it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
To this game is going to Microtransaction Bonanza, right? I mean, if they were actually to make it to release with some usable feature set, they've been spoiled so much with the incoming waves of dollar bills, they're likely going to stretch it out as much as possible, right?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

If we don't talk about it maybe it will go away.

I love this. :allears:

Please don't help us fix our broken pre-alpha game by showing the different bugs it has. The worse bugs you find the more you chip away at the pretend notion that we actually know what we are doing. Pretend these bugs simply do not exist and our pre-alpha continues to be perfect for you so everybody will buy more ships.

Understand that since we don't know what we're doing, we will not be able to fix these bugs in a timely fashion and they will persist for a very long time and hurt our bottom dollar, which is banking on the fact people trust us to know what we are doing. The more air time these bugs get, the more people will expect us to figure out how to fix them. You see the quandary. This will prevent us from rolling out concept ship #79 into the world in a "barely a model" state for you, causing you harm in the long run from getting your final game.

Your reality is false, please adjust yourself to our reality where the game is as awesome as the CGIs we've painstakingly made to show the world how much progress we have made.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

If we don't talk about it maybe it will go away.

To be fair, most official game forums either bar or restrict discussion of third party cheats.

To continue to be fair, most multiplayer-heavy games don't blindly trust the client.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Kins posted:

To be fair, most official game forums either bar or restrict discussion of third party cheats.

To continue to be fair, most multiplayer-heavy games don't blindly trust the client.

To be even more fair, most game forums are about actual games.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Combat Pretzel posted:

To this game is going to Microtransaction Bonanza, right? I mean, if they were actually to make it to release with some usable feature set, they've been spoiled so much with the incoming waves of dollar bills, they're likely going to stretch it out as much as possible, right?

Hard to stop a money train. Backers were talking about spending $50 real cash to fuel a spaceship for a night of play and how they would be happy to pay the money. Hey, that is one way to keep trolls from your game. Can't wait to see if the Star Citizen HOTAS controller has a stripe reader on the side.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes, but it won't be Pay2Win.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Pretzel posted:

They are in the "mega transaction" model currently. A single DLC ship could cost as much as several AAA games. Sometimes dozens of them.

There is no end in sight because this is the income system. The game going live where people can spend in game money to buy ships with will be the end of the money train. Or they will make things hideous to earn, like $70 real money for a single missile, and this is logical.

When they announce a pricing system for in game ship purchases, it'll be a hell fire no matter what side of the line you're on.

A: "The cost of this ship is bullshit, I'm not playing this poo poo game for 200 hours before I can upgrade my Aurora to a 300i or Freelancer or something."

B: "This is bullshit and I want a refund now because I spent $x on this ship somebody can earn in 5 hours of playing!"

They've killed any hope of the game having any iota of fun natural progression. Basically once the greed set in, the game was essentially doomed. CIG is nothing if not the greediest corporation in gaming these days. Even EA will at least deliver a product to you that's in a functional state, and in a relatively timely fashion.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

They are in the "mega transaction" model currently. A single DLC ship could cost as much as several AAA games. Sometimes dozens of them.

There is no end in sight because this is the income system. The game going live where people can spend in game money to buy ships with will be the end of the money train. Or they will make things hideous to earn, like $70 real money for a single missile, and this is logical.

When they announce a pricing system for in game ship purchases, it'll be a hell fire no matter what side of the line you're on.

A: "The cost of this ship is bullshit, I'm not playing this poo poo game for 200 hours before I can upgrade my Aurora to a 300i or Freelancer or something."

B: "This is bullshit and I want a refund now because I spent $x on this ship somebody can earn in 5 hours of playing!"

They've killed any hope of the game having any iota of fun natural progression. Basically once the greed set in, the game was essentially doomed. CIG is nothing if not the greediest corporation in gaming these days. Even EA will at least deliver a product to you that's in a functional state, and in a relatively timely fashion.

We have kicked over the impossible economy a few times but i think ships would basically be worthless due to the reality of using these armadas and the influx of hundreds of billions in uec currency nobody needs to spend anymore. A $750 polaris will be <$20 if backers are lucky and it holds any value at all if this even comes out.

Otherwise overwhelming supply of ships nobody wants will make them worth zero real money and only tradeable by laughable amounts of uec per dollar, like 10000/100000. Why bother dealing with some desperate autist on the grey market when everyone has billions of UEC.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Forget the ships, when it costs you the equivalent of 70$ US for a single refill of a couple missiles, I have a feeling the fun will be fairly hard to find.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

XK posted:

Cloud is dumb buzzword bullshit, except for the server virtualization stuff (which is really awesome), the only actually cool and good thing about cloud. All the rest is bog standard co-location datacenter stuff. I remember when cloud was going to fix everything for XBox One.

I can't wait for Amazon to "mesh" servers for his instances.

What the hell happened to all the in-house mocap stuff they had as a stretch goal? Didn't they buy 4 studios worth, or some poo poo?

I forgot about that cloud nonsense. Isn't Crackdown the first game to use it beyond dedicated servers? Is that game ever coming out?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

The fun part is that they've been aware of this for years, yet are either too stupid or too arrogant to do anything about it. There are just so many aspects of this project that make it impossible to be realized, and yet they remain funded thanks to CIG's relentless marketing and the community's unceasing stupidity.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think it has the potential to be pretty cool. It basically does all the space stuff that people want in Star Citizen; immersive environment, emphasis on first person, world building, etc. We've also seen a healthy number of videos that suggest the developers are putting a lot of effort into having solid game mechanics. The question for me is whether or not those mechanics translate to a game that has long term appeal and how popular the game will be.

My personal best looking feature of that game is the proper orbital mechanics.

Lots of people can't grasp that poo poo, even after kerbal space program, and it's going to be glorious watching the rage.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

My personal best looking feature of that game is the proper orbital mechanics.

Lots of people can't grasp that poo poo, even after kerbal space program, and it's going to be glorious watching the rage.

Yeah. Children of a Dead Earth helped me quite a bit, but it's still hilariously complicated and difficult to grasp.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm doing it. I haven't played, or even watched a gameplay video, in a looooong time.

I'm going to just see where we're at on this thing. Pray for me.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DapperDon posted:

It's also not a $140M company. Generally that "$X company" figure reflects the amount of revenue generated in one year. In which case CIG is a $35M company, but since they don't actually create anything of value it's more of a slush fund.

And surely it's a coincidence that the company has raised like, the exact same amount of money every year. Nothing sketchy going on here.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DapperDon posted:

My best friend passed away Christmas eve. Went to the open casket service last nite. 2016 has been a monster. I haven't slept or eaten right in days. Glad to have this place and you guys to get my mind off of things. :negative:.

Very sorry for your loss.

*pays respects with F*

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fun part is that they've been aware of this for years, yet are either too stupid or too arrogant to do anything about it. There are just so many aspects of this project that make it impossible to be realized, and yet they remain funded thanks to CIG's relentless marketing and the community's unceasing stupidity.

This is why we watch it, friend. :)

Eventually the fallout that's going to happen is going to be enormous. This will set a new precedence where groups will actively advertise themselves as "definitely not doing the Star Citizen thing" and this constant influx of money will be frowned upon. People will actually need to know project management and costing. Chris Roberts will go down in history as the worst developer for the century, etc etc.

It's all speculation though, but it's fun speculation because nothing like this has ever happened before at this magnitude of failure at every level. :allears:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

I'm doing it. I haven't played, or even watched a gameplay video, in a looooong time.

I'm going to just see where we're at on this thing. Pray for me.

Do it to it! :devil:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

I lost my daughter this year. Can't go in her room still. It's an ELE for most marriages, but I think we're gonna be okay. Hang in there. It sucks forever, but the grief comes in waves, and they get smaller and less frequent with time.

DapperDon posted:

There are going to be papers about this over the next couple of years, because it's not just crowdfunding. Millions of people are making decisions based on fondly held beliefs rather than verifiable fact. It makes the statistics on people following astrology a little more worrying.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm waiting for the F2P move they will make when it becomes apparent that 10% of the human population isn't lining up to become a STAR CITIZEN. There's a huge gap between expectations of sales and actual sales, and they may have pitched for finance based on projections - this would also come with a deadline as a 'bridging loan'.

Pure speculation on my part, obviously.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's also not a $140M company. Generally that "$X company" figure reflects the amount of revenue generated in one year. In which case CIG is a $35M company, but since they don't actually create anything of value it's more of a slush fund.

And surely it's a coincidence that the company has raised like, the exact same amount of money every year. Nothing sketchy going on here.

This is a good point. I should probably say $140M project, since the company is the project and as you say they haven't delivered anything of value yet.

The Titanic posted:

This is why we watch it, friend. :)

Eventually the fallout that's going to happen is going to be enormous. This will set a new precedence where groups will actively advertise themselves as "definitely not doing the Star Citizen thing" and this constant influx of money will be frowned upon. People will actually need to know project management and costing. Chris Roberts will go down in history as the worst developer for the century, etc etc.

It's all speculation though, but it's fun speculation because nothing like this has ever happened before at this magnitude of failure at every level. :allears:

There have been scams of this magnitude before. I believe the difference here is that the victims are all going to be individuals. Usually it's funds or other companies, or ridiculously rich people. Here it's half a million regular people, some of whom have made immense sacrifices to see this "dream" realized.

Hav posted:

I lost my daughter this year. Can't go in her room still. It's an ELE for most marriages, but I think we're gonna be okay. Hang in there. It sucks forever, but the grief comes in waves, and they get smaller and less frequent with time.

There are going to be papers about this over the next couple of years, because it's not just crowdfunding. Millions of people are making decisions based on fondly held beliefs rather than verifiable fact. It makes the statistics on people following astrology a little more worrying.

I'm waiting for the F2P move they will make when it becomes apparent that 10% of the human population isn't lining up to become a STAR CITIZEN. There's a huge gap between expectations of sales and actual sales, and they may have pitched for finance based on projections - this would also come with a deadline as a 'bridging loan'.

Holy poo poo man, my condolences.

I think you have a valid point about this being more than crowdfunding. People have an unprecedented level of access to information, and yet we see with things like the belief in fake news that the quantity of information is largely irrelevant. People are more interested in following a story that matches their preconceived notions than learning the truth. The more invested they are in something the harder it is for them to change course.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Sir, my deepest condolences. :(

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad you guys are still making it and I hope you will continue to heal. :(

Your points are also very good ones. I agree with you.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

I lost my daughter this year.

I am so sorry, if you ever need anything please PM me.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

The multiplayer in Goldeneye was developed by two people in six weeks. This made the Perfect Dark team's mission to make the multiplayer a lot better than Goldeneye a lot easier than anyone expected...

According to one of the devs, 8 out of the 10 people who worked on GoldenEye had never even made a professional game before. They still made something way more fun than anything Croberts has accomplished so far with 300-ish people and $140 million.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Felt like chiming in, so sorry to every regular of this thread that's suffered loss in this absolutely lovely year.

Hopefully 2017 brings a bit more cheer...like CIG's ELE finally happening.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Weren't they also going to

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure they were going to try and "balance" this by introducing artificial scarcity of ships.

So you'd walk your avatar into the fully modeled space dealership, talk to the mo-capped crobbers faced slick sales dude (tastefully dressed, broad shouldered and slim) and he would take your space bucks and give you a 2-6 (real) week delivery date.

Or you can buy this stripped down base model with 2Mm on the clock and a wonky thruster right now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only red flag I've seen so far about hellion was Lethality tweeting about it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Astroniomix posted:

The only red flag I've seen so far about hellion was Lethality tweeting about it.

Yeah, seeing the Harbinger of Failure express joy at it was pretty depressing. Maybe they'll emphasize hardcore PvP action or something and scare him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I had to pause downloading STAR CITIZEN because it only downloads at a full 5mps and now nobody in my house can watch netflix or whatever.

I'll finish the download later. :(