Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

VERY COOL MAN posted:

this is one of the dudes behind sonic dreams collection and bubsy visits the james turrell retrospective if that interests anyone

I mean I wasn't before but now I absolutely am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sonic Dreams was the best horror game of 2015.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

al-azad posted:

Sonic Dreams was the best horror game of 2015.

go for the kill

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE7 and Outlast 2 will be the horror games of 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Definitely looking forward to RE7. Got the deluxe version for Christmas :3:. I'm curious to see how the playable teaser/demo compares to the full thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Outlast 2 meh, RE7 absolutely looks neat though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those 15 minutes of Outlast 2 were more interesting than all of Outlast 1 I managed to tolerate, that's for sure. Kinda looking forward to it, and RE7 obv.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

FirstAidKite posted:

I watched mr kravin's playthrough of it, it was pretty neat tho the ending was pretty standard and kinda lame imo but otherwise it was a cool game.

I watched some dorklord on Youtube's "Demonic Furbys are trying to eat me" playthrough and I feel like I got the whole experience? Do I have to send the guys who made it six bucks now? Maybe some people like that it didn't really explain much of anything, but I felt it could have left a little less to the imagination. Also, I don't know, it did great "atmosphere" but I didn't see a whole lot of "gameplay" there. Red Eyes comes after you when the light is out but then when the lights are on she's not there, just teleporting around randomly like Jason Voorhees on a meth binge.

The voice is great though. Total Cyborg Midwives vibe there, I figured "okay so it's gonna reveal they used a real mother as a personality profile but after the prototype was released they found out she was a psycho who ate her own kids or something", nope, didn't reveal poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

scuba school sucks posted:

I watched some dorklord on Youtube's "Demonic Furbys are trying to eat me" playthrough and I feel like I got the whole experience? Do I have to send the guys who made it six bucks now? Maybe some people like that it didn't really explain much of anything, but I felt it could have left a little less to the imagination. Also, I don't know, it did great "atmosphere" but I didn't see a whole lot of "gameplay" there. Red Eyes comes after you when the light is out but then when the lights are on she's not there, just teleporting around randomly like Jason Voorhees on a meth binge.

The voice is great though. Total Cyborg Midwives vibe there, I figured "okay so it's gonna reveal they used a real mother as a personality profile but after the prototype was released they found out she was a psycho who ate her own kids or something", nope, didn't reveal poo poo.

loving good, edgy backstories are garbage and for children and idiots

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah but "no backstory at all" doesn't sound much better.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jukebox Hero posted:

Yeah but "no backstory at all" doesn't sound much better.

actually horror just happening for once sounds awesome, to me at least

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Ranma Fan Art posted:

actually horror just happening for once sounds awesome, to me at least

That would be a cool idea. You are the guy/gal that was there when poo poo started going down. Like the one that left the audio/written logs for the next group of idiots to find.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Dante Logos posted:

That would be a cool idea. You are the guy/gal that was there when poo poo started going down. Like the one that left the audio/written logs for the next group of idiots to find.

That would be really cool especially if they let you leave different messages like depending on what you've discovered at that point or whatever. Now I want this game to exist.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Survivor's Notes - a game where you leave notes about traps, supplies and useful info after The Event to guide an AI player through a lab, facility or whatever. Like the Soulsborne message system, except you probably don't want to be a dick all the time.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silent Hill kinda did that with the end area of Silent Hill 3 :v:

I'd be more interested in a sorta multiplayer type game where you leave notes behind at specific points and you're given limited text or what-have-you and then that gets saved to the game's servers or whatever and some other player ends up coming across the notes, and then when said player reaches a certain point, they'll have to start leaving the notes for the next player.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd be more interested in a sorta multiplayer type game where you leave notes behind at specific points and you're given limited text or what-have-you and then that gets saved to the game's servers or whatever and some other player ends up coming across the notes, and then when said player reaches a certain point, they'll have to start leaving the notes for the next player.

Free Steam game Moirai kinda did this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Free Steam game Moirai kinda did this

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of.

The main downside would be that people would leave purposefully crap messages, and that could be entertaining in its own way but it wouldn't necessarily allow for the next player to have a fun experience

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

So, Dark Souls

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FirstAidKite posted:

The main downside would be that people would leave purposefully crap messages, and that could be entertaining in its own way but it wouldn't necessarily allow for the next player to have a fun experience

Assign like three players at random at the start of a game to be your 'note givers', differentiate the notes, and insure one has a high "review" rating and you'll quickly learn which authors you can trust and which to do the opposite of.

Then the developers themselves can seed an initial batch of "highly rated" notes, and when you finish a game (or even a chapter) you can rate your note-giver packages.

That seems like it could be really fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FirstAidKite posted:

It was semi-good the first time I played it, but every time after it was douchebags who think they're funny

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

FirstAidKite posted:

The first time I played it it was just racial epithets and, as I was very confused, played it again, the second time with 'ffffffff' as all the answers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Horse but hole

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yardbomb posted:

The real horror is that sadly everyone wants to put Denuvo into their games. Even when they're already stuck on steam!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Crabtree posted:

The real horror is that sadly everyone wants to put Denuvo into their games. Even when they're already stuck on steam!

Denuvo is a waste of time and money. Metrics from it are showing that, once again, the people who pirated the games were never going to buy them in any case and you aren't losing revenue.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 31, 2016

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like I am the only one who really liked outlast. I know it is very repetitive, but I actually loved the jump scares and it was really like running around a haunted house with some pretty messed up imagery. I think it could have used some more mechanics to it's stealth. Like maybe some way to stun an enemy when you get spotted so you can run, because it was extremely frustrating that almost any time you spotted it equaled instant death.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kokoro Wish posted:

Denuvo is a waste of time and money. Metrics from it are showing that, once again, the people who pirated the games were never going to buy them in any case and you aren't losing revenue.

Every few years we seem to have to learn the same lesson over and over again. From SecuROM to Starforce. It sucks because I just got a new computer that could easily handle RE7, but nah, I guess I gotta wait on a console rental or whatever.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:confused: regardless of how effective Denuvo is, I've had zero issues with games that had it installed.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

:confused: regardless of how effective Denuvo is, I've had zero issues with games that had it installed.

For some it's the principal. Giving the consumer a hassle because they actually paid. See Hitmans always online requirement as an example.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For some it's the principal. Giving the consumer a hassle because they actually paid. See Hitmans always online requirement as an example.

Yeah I can see that Always Online can be a hassle. Still, to go from a bought game to console rental? Why not console during a sale or wait until Denuvo gets removed which is a real thing(DOOM 4 got this treatment).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Because if I just want to see for myself if its actually good while I wait for a possible better version, well that's what rentals are for? If the grand experiment of emphasis on horror doesn't work, why should I buy RE7 unbound by uneeded DRM? That's what RE7's trying to be right, more of a survival than an action game this time?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 1, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Buy it on Steam and get a refund if you don't like it, that's what PC rentals are

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Steam as "DRM" is only there to prevent you from accessing Steam services. It does nothing to stop people from cracking the game.

Anyway, the appeal of Denuvo is largely to European developers who still face mega piracy in their regions. 5 years ago the problem was that the digital marketplace wasn't available in those regions or the currency was converted at an inflated rate ($60 = 60 euros, uh what?). But that's not the case now and pretty much everyone across the world can buy in their region in their currency with some region restrictions to conform to laws and stuff. And yet piracy hasn't gone down in spite of markets getting better.

I definitely see the justification when a company like CDPR goes far out of their way to be fair and The Witcher 3 is still the most pirated game of the year. It's a peace of mind thing. The logic is the same as "locks only keep honest people honest." A criminal will break your lock if they want your stuff but you're not going to leave your door unlocked.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Steam as "DRM" is only there to prevent you from accessing Steam services. It does nothing to stop people from cracking the game.

Anyway, the appeal of Denuvo is largely to European developers who still face mega piracy in their regions. 5 years ago the problem was that the digital marketplace wasn't available in those regions or the currency was converted at an inflated rate ($60 = 60 euros, uh what?). But that's not the case now and pretty much everyone across the world can buy in their region in their currency with some region restrictions to conform to laws and stuff. And yet piracy hasn't gone down in spite of markets getting better.

I definitely see the justification when a company like CDPR goes far out of their way to be fair and The Witcher 3 is still the most pirated game of the year. It's a peace of mind thing. The logic is the same as "locks only keep honest people honest." A criminal will break your lock if they want your stuff but you're not going to leave your door unlocked.

That's loving dumb.

Witcher 3 was a huge success and GOG is DRM-free. DRM services categorically make the end user experience worse without actually curbing piracy at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Improbable Lobster posted:

DRM services categorically make the end user experience worse without actually curbing piracy at all.

I have several games with Denuvo and whatever else stupid DRM there is and my experience doesn't change between any of them because of it? What exactly is effected by some of the DRM methods?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I have several games with Denuvo and whatever else stupid DRM there is and my experience doesn't change between any of them because of it? What exactly is effected by some of the DRM methods?

Well you see theyre impacting your rights whether you know it or not

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

If it's anything like Starforce or any of the other past DRM services then false positives and arbitrary restrictions. Plus Denuvo has been reported to gently caress up SSD write cycles.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus Denuvo has been reported to gently caress up SSD write cycles.

Beat me to it but yeah, Denuvo has been reported to/will run SSDs ragged a lot faster because it's constantly blazing along as a thing in the background.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is that like 100%, that all games with Denuvo will gently caress your SSDs over? Or is it just a select few and people blow it out of proportion?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is that like 100%, that all games with Denuvo will gently caress your SSDs over? Or is it just a select few and people blow it out of proportion?

It's an issue purely with Denuvo being a stupid piece of software, so it's unfortunately pretty much anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well gently caress, time to see if I own any Denuvo titles.