Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

big trick im aware of is enclosing a geothermal vent for heat. Risky though, can explode.

:stare: I'm curious what specifically you mean here, if it's fires from excess heat or if there's some mechanism which actually explodes your room.

Danaru posted:

What

How much :stare:

Just went to check, this, the ship reactor provides 1000W of power, the same capacity as a fueled generator though presumably it doesn't need refueling. At 300 steel, 500 plasteel, 150 uranium and 25 components it's pretty steep for a reliable power source, but considering the available stocks and purchasing power of the outlander settlement I've been sending caravans to regularly it's probably within reach for a colony old, stable, and productive enough to support 3-4 dedicated crafters to build a couple of these.

Obviously one hell of a luxury, but feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The output of power isn't so great, but the output in hubris is excellent :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teikanmi posted:

Also sometimes the rng makes it so you have no traders for years and when all your poo poo breaks you'll be glad to be able to make components instead of everyone dying to a heat wave with no recourse.

Passive coolers are really nice for this if you have the wood

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Starting with addicted pawns sucks. There's so much for them to be doing in the early game, it's hard to afford the production lines for drugs... impossible once withdrawal sets in.

Danaru posted:

raiders would freeze to death outside trying to get to my entrance :v: Also caravans, which was sadder.

Funny story about caravan deaths. I had an alcohol-addicted pawn that was continually berserking on my colonists, then got her right arm shot off in a legit battle. For the duration of her long alcohol withdrawal, she had no manipulation. So she'd berserk and beat people down, but couldn't carry a meal out of the freezer or do literally any kind of work except wardening and research.

A little later, I draft my crew to gun down a grizzly for meat. Due to bizarre timing, I fired on the grizzly exactly as a trade caravan wandered onscreen. I couldn't quite tell what happened next, but the traders fled and there was a dead grizzly, a dead muffalo, and two bionic arms on the ground.

After losing them both to minor operating failures with a 13-skill doctor, I started reading about surgery success chances...

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LonsomeSon posted:

:stare: I'm curious what specifically you mean here, if it's fires from excess heat or if there's some mechanism which actually explodes your room.

Just went to check, this, the ship reactor provides 1000W of power, the same capacity as a fueled generator though presumably it doesn't need refueling. At 300 steel, 500 plasteel, 150 uranium and 25 components it's pretty steep for a reliable power source, but considering the available stocks and purchasing power of the outlander settlement I've been sending caravans to regularly it's probably within reach for a colony old, stable, and productive enough to support 3-4 dedicated crafters to build a couple of these.

Obviously one hell of a luxury, but feasible.

That colony was alpha 15 I believe and I ran out of room if I recall for windmills so I started using reactors since it is a dedicated 1k of power. If you lose power in the artic north poo poo goes south quickly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What do people do for starting colonists? Do you just reroll shittons until you get something half-decent? Use prepare carefully?

I wish there was something like Prepare Carefully that was stock (And with better balancing on the points and stuff). I always like setting up my initial Dwarfs/supplies in Dwarf Fortress.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What do people do for starting colonists? Do you just reroll shittons until you get something half-decent? Use prepare carefully?

I wish there was something like Prepare Carefully that was stock (And with better balancing on the points and stuff). I always like setting up my initial Dwarfs/supplies in Dwarf Fortress.

I go roll for one good doctor, one good social+ doctor person, and one good crafter+constructor. I make sure they are all capable of doing every job, and dont have any lazy/slow traits, and are 50 years old or younger

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I used to just re-roll a bunch to get similar colonists to what Willfrey said. Then I started using prepare carefully with point limits because I was sitting around clicking re-roll for 10 minutes every time I started a game until I got the perfect set.

Using the random colonists can be fun if you just take the first rolled ones (can lead to some good stories), but a lot of the time it's just frustrating.

If you're getting specific though, pairing skills that are constantly used (i.e. crafting, cooking, mining) with ones that are seldom used (doctor, social) on the same colonist can be useful. It's easier to cover more bases that way.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Dunno if I've just been lucky but my 12 doc has a 4/4 record on surgeries. Are you guys using stoned docs or something?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Reroll until I get 3 colonist without any huge issues, who are good at crafting, growing, cooking, and medicine, with at least one good shooter. Usually doesn't take THAT long, but I'm not super picky.

Prepare Carefully doesn't even give you enough points to make a randomly rolled colonist by default, so I've never bothered with it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just got this and I took whatever colonists I got, and the first random zone I went into.

Zone is an easier one, an Arid Desert. Colonists.... less useful. I have one character who has to do most things, since the other two refuse to work with plants and you need a shitload of wood to do literally anything. I have the other two set to do things once they can actually build the poo poo they need from wood. Unfortunately, I ran out of steel and can't build a stonecutter's table.

My character that actually does things is a pyromaniac with a drug addiction (AND with traits that make her more interested in drugs) so she's been going through withdrawals and starting fires. Right now the jobs of the other two colonists is largely to put out her fires.

I dunno why you'd deliberately set out to thrive. This game is pretty fun this way.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Danaru posted:

The output of power isn't so great, but the output in hubris is excellent :v:

I think you just came up with a perfect summary of every modern colony building game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ideally I think you want one good social / grower, one good constructor/shooter, one good doctor/crafter.

But the real answer is you use prepare carefully so you don't have to reroll constantly.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In my first game some months ago, I just took what it gave me and only realized my problem when a raid appeared and two of my colonists wouldn't fight.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Before switching to Prepare Carefully I used to re-roll until I got 3 people who were not incapable of anything. Aside from that I just went with what I got.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Ideally I think you want one good social / grower, one good constructor/shooter, one good doctor/crafter.

A combination of research, growing, medicine and social with two who can shoot works for me. Lately I'm trying to get an animal tamer in the mix.

The sapper raids really circumvent most of the base-building strategies that are on the internet, but combing through reddit posts, I realised the guy whose solution to base defense was "81 bears" was on to something. I'd been building into mountains for awhile, which helped me get good enough to overcome a lot of basic problems like medicine conservation. After losing five shooters to a single doomsday rocket from a sapper crew, I realized funneling is wrong and melee is the new meta. The problem is that melee is so risky for your colonists... the solution is 81 bears.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

straw man posted:

A combination of research, growing, medicine and social with two who can shoot works for me. Lately I'm trying to get an animal tamer in the mix.

The sapper raids really circumvent most of the base-building strategies that are on the internet, but combing through reddit posts, I realised the guy whose solution to base defense was "81 bears" was on to something. I'd been building into mountains for awhile, which helped me get good enough to overcome a lot of basic problems like medicine conservation. After losing five shooters to a single doomsday rocket from a sapper crew, I realized funneling is wrong and melee is the new meta. The problem is that melee is so risky for your colonists... the solution is 81 bears.

Hahaha, christ

That *can* work I guess

The "urban combat" strategy I flog in my guide really does work well against sappers -- even if they break your perimeter somewhere weird, the long perpendicular walls of your buildings make *really* strong defenses against rocket attacks; you're effectively behind an infinitely-thick length of stone wall. ANd it doesn't matter where they break in because the whole thing is defensible -- at worst you lose one bedroom.

I haven't tried it yet but I think trained animals may have a purpose in caravan defense. I'm training up a small herd of attack boomalopes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the inherent problem with animal defense is that colonists will do, you know, actual work the 95% of the time you're not under attack, while animals generally will not. grass-eating animals are the general solution to this so they at least won't eat you out of house and home but even they dance the razor's edge of starvation and thriving most times.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the inherent problem with animal defense is that colonists will do, you know, actual work the 95% of the time you're not under attack, while animals generally will not. grass-eating animals are the general solution to this so they at least won't eat you out of house and home but even they dance the razor's edge of starvation and thriving most times.

So instead of 81 bears, have 810 chickens on a haygrass field? Can do!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

81 boars was more my idea but i always forget that haygrass is a thing you can do

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
you can't train chickens to attack. Elephants would work, or rhinos.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

you can't train chickens to attack. Elephants would work, or rhinos.

Who said anything about training them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj50r8mbJe0&t=987s

Not that I ever would. Last time I tried a chicken farm my game shat itself to death.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MadJackMcJack posted:

Not that I ever would. Last time I tried a chicken farm my game shat itself to death.

Hahah, ok, that's brilliant. I'm not sure it would work against anything other than a seige though. they're doing most of the damage by missing shots and hitting each other, looks like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why 81? Is there something significant about 9x9?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

MadJackMcJack posted:

It.. it's beautiful. I love how quickly chickens can reproduce to absurd levels. You ever get grossed out after a rainstorm because you can't help but step on a bunch of snails every time you move? I think my colony is like that. But with chickens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Two UI questions:

Is there any way or even any mod that lets me sort the colonist icons at the top -- for example, by shooting skill?

Is there / what is the hotkey to make the little yellow envelopes go away

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Really enjoy this game but around the mid game it just starts throwing such insane poo poo at you that it saps my desire to play

Once you get a bunch of OK colonists all the sudden you have these insane animal attacks and you're sitting there thinking "uh only half my guys even fight"

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Why 81? Is there something significant about 9x9?

It's a lot of loving bears.

Been testing out raiding strategies. Did a 4 man drop, all had regular armor and assault rifles/1 minigun. Dropped em with an animal pulser a shock lance and some go juice. Found a derelict building in the corner of the map and stationed them there while I shocked one personal shielded plasteel sword dude in the middle of the base and then animal pulsed, most dudes were in the middle trying to deal with the swordsman while the animals flocked to them. It worked too well. Many fires were started from the incendiary weapons they had and they ended up abandoning the base with a poo poo ton of animals still. Go juiced, rushed in, took out a few rats, turkeys and muffallo before the animals took everyone out.

This was right after one of their raids so I at least feel like it's sort of a nice outcome.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Really enjoy this game but around the mid game it just starts throwing such insane poo poo at you that it saps my desire to play

Once you get a bunch of OK colonists all the sudden you have these insane animal attacks and you're sitting there thinking "uh only half my guys even fight"

Once you got around 5 dudes who can do most of the poo poo for your base, it's good to just take dudes who can actually fight worth something. I'd also switch to a higher difficulty of randy random storyteller once you get going so it's more random and not just a bunch of insane poo poo happening at once. Once you get established with a regular story teller it's like they throw every doomsday scenario at you at once and then makes it up to you later on when you're almost close to making a new colony by dropping 20 limestock blocks for you.

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 31, 2016

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Two UI questions:

Is there any way or even any mod that lets me sort the colonist icons at the top -- for example, by shooting skill?

Is there / what is the hotkey to make the little yellow envelopes go away

You can right click on the envelopes to dismiss them. That might be as fast as you can get.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Slumpy posted:

It's a lot of loving bears.

Been testing out raiding strategies. Did a 4 man drop, all had regular armor and assault rifles/1 minigun. Dropped em with an animal pulser a shock lance and some go juice. Found a derelict building in the corner of the map and stationed them there while I shocked one personal shielded plasteel sword dude in the middle of the base and then animal pulsed, most dudes were in the middle trying to deal with the swordsman while the animals flocked to them. It worked too well. Many fires were started from the incendiary weapons they had and they ended up abandoning the base with a poo poo ton of animals still. Go juiced, rushed in, took out a few rats, turkeys and muffallo before the animals took everyone out.

This was right after one of their raids so I at least feel like it's sort of a nice outcome.

Once you got around 5 dudes who can do most of the poo poo for your base, it's good to just take dudes who can actually fight worth something. I'd also switch to a higher difficulty of randy random storyteller once you get going so it's more random and not just a bunch of insane poo poo happening at once. Once you get established with a regular story teller it's like they throw every doomsday scenario at you at once and then makes it up to you later on when you're almost close to making a new colony by dropping 20 limestock blocks for you.

People actually play randy? I should consider that - the way you put it makes it sound a lot better

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

People actually play randy? I should consider that - the way you put it makes it sound a lot better

From what I hear about other players, and what I do myself, is that you should just start on a harder linear difficulty like cassandra and then go to a hard randy once you get a handful of dudes or go when Cassandra starts throwing a ZZT, fallout and volcanic winter with a solar flare eclipse at you.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I play Randy Rough from start to finish. I tried Randy Intense but after getting two sieges in my first year I said no thanks.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Randy rough is the only way. Sometimes you get so hosed you end up wanting to savescum, but it makes the best stories too.

gently caress dealing with multiple crashed mechanoid ships though, just remember to take out the psychic ones first, and if you can, clear the area of animals first.

I hilariously lost a colonist to some angry cassowarys and a boar while clearing out a 'finished' psychic ship, it emitted a pulse angering the animals.

Related: A cassowary is basically a trained attack chicken on steroids. I've started breeding them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Randy is my boy. Sure sometimes he turns into Randy Ravage and will give all your colonists the plague but not having your "reward" for thwarting raids be "OK increase the size by 25% next time" is more then worth it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone want to post some pictures of their late game bases and what worked and didn't? Trying to Get some base building defense ideas

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone want to post some pictures of their late game bases and what worked and didn't? Trying to Get some base building defense ideas

Do I have you covered or what

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

scroll down to "example forts: what worked, what didn't" :P

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I started a new colony after taking over a base. It seems like a new colony starts you fresh in terms of events; I got a wander joined as well as some weak early raids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So what I'm hearing is that if a place gets too hot, out everything you can carry on a caravan and go to the next hex.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Coolguye posted:

So what I'm hearing is that if a place gets too hot, out everything you can carry on a caravan and go to the next hex.

Theoretically sure but you'd have to load the caravan while the poo poo was going down and that's just a sitting duck.

You could absolutely strip mine and roll on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Theoretically sure but you'd have to load the caravan while the poo poo was going down and that's just a sitting duck.

You could absolutely strip mine and roll on though.

yeah, i wasn't thinking you could do that while you're being raided, but if you just barely survive some poo poo that's like 15 motherfuckers with assault rifles it's a viable strategy to say 'right, gently caress this, i'm out'