Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Right. I thought we were talking about rolling a new fighter instead of retrieving. I'm so confused.

Edit: this whole time, my argument has been that salvaging is usually best, there are some situations where killing your hater is decent, but I don't see how rolling a new fighter to replace your old one is ever worth it.

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Well, otherwise they're just taking up a slot in your freezer that could be used for expeditions et cetera. If you've got the resources to get back to where they were without much effort, you may as well just Let Them Die™ and bring in a newbie instead of leaving a slot occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Are you saying that you have empty slots in your freezer? Do you not level all your fighters in parallel?

I guess I just play differently than most people. I straight up wouldn't take a fighter to somewhere I couldn't reach.

I always rotate fighters and use the lowest level fighter I have unless I'm doing a specific boss run or pushing forward into new territory.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Having caught up on this whole thread in the past couple days, I feel I can definitively say yes, you are playing this game differently than other people, Snak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Are you saying that you have empty slots in your freezer? Do you not level all your fighters in parallel?

I guess I just play differently than most people. I straight up wouldn't take a fighter to somewhere I couldn't reach.

I always rotate fighters and use the lowest level fighter I have unless I'm doing a specific boss run or pushing forward into new territory.

Usually I try to leave one empty slot in my freezer because you never know when some real bullshit is gonna happen and all your fighters are gonna die in a row. That way I don't have to pick and choose somebody to get rid of if they all get hater-fied in quick succession.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You might as well have a t1 allrounder in that spot instead that is constantly on expeditions. Waste of resources in that case!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Having caught up on this whole thread in the past couple days, I feel I can definitively say yes, you are playing this game differently than other people, Snak.

Oh :(

I'm certainly progressing slower than most people.

CJacobs posted:

Usually I try to leave one empty slot in my freezer because you never know when some real bullshit is gonna happen and all your fighters are gonna die in a row. That way I don't have to pick and choose somebody to get rid of if they all get hater-fied in quick succession.

I just make slavage my first priority as soon as I lose one fighter.

But also, I'm still in the early game where salvage costs haven't ballooned past 20k yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Salvaging is imo the best way to go in 99% of cases, especially because the character maintains the wallet they had at the time so you just get back however much they had and cover the salvage cost a bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Snak posted:

Oh :(

I'm certainly progressing slower than most people

Eh, I've been playing this all week and I'm still only just past the first don. I'm trying to grind up machetes before pressing on because of the war ensembles' weakness to slashing.

So long as you're enjoying your time, you know?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Salvaging is imo the best way to go in 99% of cases, especially because the character maintains the wallet they had at the time so you just get back however much they had and cover the salvage cost a bit.
Yeah, we're on the same page :)

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Eh, I've been playing this all week and I'm still only just past the first don. I'm trying to grind up machetes before pressing on because of the war ensembles' weakness to slashing.

So long as you're enjoying your time, you know?

I'm having a blast. Basically all my weapon masteries are maxed out. There are a few I'm still working on, buzzsaw, hockey stick, all the guns...

I need to upgrade my bank. It's still capped at 70k. It's hard to get the SPL I need because I'm constantly doing R&D to burn through my mats.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Snak posted:

But also, I'm still in the early game where salvage costs haven't ballooned past 20k yet.

As somebody who just had to grind up 58k from nothing to get a fully levelled 3* back from level 21+, count your blessings. The biggest issue was that I didn't have a reliable substitute to go on raids since the best of my remaining fighters were 10 to 20 levels below. Pain in the rear end, but I got her back!

I'm finding raids to be the most effective way to get kill coins quickly. It's amazing at how many (clearly fortified) bases are out there with absolutely no defenses. I don't know if this is due to the "I'm not going to defend until I have higher star fighters" or whatever, but it's great to just waltz out of a place with 6000+ KC for less than 3 minutes of your time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
KC are no real issue for me. You get them for everything. SPLithium, though, is the biggest reason I raid. I hardly do though, I just get it from expeditions.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Wanna hear some real bullshit? I lost a rank 3 dude the other day because I went too far down the shortcut to unlock rank 4s and when I tried to backtrack, a gate I'd just opened on the previous floor (29F Banzei) was suddenly locked again from the original side, meaning I was completely trapped with no way of getting back to an elevator. The only floors I could travel between (not counting about 5 metres of Banzei) were 28F Hyakkoku and 29F Hashidaka, no elevators and all escalators were locked.

So yeah, don't venture beyond Banzei if you're taking the left-hand shortcut to bypass 23F Goto-13.

On a related topic - is 116k recovery cost worth it for 8~ blueprints and a bunch of mats? Or should I just roll a rank 4 and move on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
8 blueprints!? Probably. How long does it take you farm that much? I feel like I could do it in an hour of levelling other fighters and farming other mats.

I just hit my bank cap and wasted like 10k for the second time in 30 minutes :( I need SPL bad.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Taratang posted:

Wanna hear some real bullshit? I lost a rank 3 dude the other day because I went too far down the shortcut to unlock rank 4s and when I tried to backtrack, a gate I'd just opened on the previous floor (29F Banzei) was suddenly locked again from the original side, meaning I was completely trapped with no way of getting back to an elevator. The only floors I could travel between (not counting about 5 metres of Banzei) were 28F Hyakkoku and 29F Hashidaka, no elevators and all escalators were locked.

So yeah, don't venture beyond Banzei if you're taking the left-hand shortcut to bypass 23F Goto-13.

On a related topic - is 116k recovery cost worth it for 8~ blueprints and a bunch of mats? Or should I just roll a rank 4 and move on.

There are a few gates like this and yeah they suck. Also there are some gates that even after clearing the game I've never found a way to open. You can get in from different routes but you just have these paths on your map that are seemingly permanently inaccessible and I'm not sure what's up with them.

And in my opinion, no, probably not worth it especially since you'll probably just want to replace that guy now with a grade 4 like you've said. Too early for any of those BPs to be the good late game weapons and too late to be the good early-mid ones. Maybe consider it if a lot of those mats were green or black metals.

To the above post, an alternative to raiding for SPL is to find one of those floors with just a shop and a hater and farm them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

CJacobs posted:

Salvaging my characters at 30F+ costs 150-250k so its easier to just death metal in the rare case that I do die.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I'm starting the Perfect Stamp quest. Considering I didn't perfect a single one of the 31-40s the first time around I feel like this is going to be really hard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Goto is not fun. He's just a big bodychecking goomba. Luckily, he's far more straightforward than Jin-die.

It is hilarious to run into a Hater who turns out to be One-Punch Man, btw.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Ok went ahead and tried the jackal kills. 2 raging bulls, giant killer, 2 +20% crit. I was dumb and didn't realize I didn't build any rage until after I got myself to 100 hp so first jackal I just smacked around with a +0 second tier katana and killed it with a few seconds left on the first cloak. This gave me rage to use on the second one and I took 80% of her health with the rage attack from a fresh katana + grilled oak, pretty sure it was a crit. Then for the third, I only had brought 2 katanas so I used my damaged one to rage attack. It did significantly less. It was the gun one and maybe he has more defense. So I switched to +0 tier 2 pork chopper to finish. Had to do a second cloak, it took about 25% durability.

I wonder if just throwing on two Bulls for another 60% attack would be better than the crit chance. And I did this on Ikegara so the cost of failure would be low. It took a really long time for the first and second jackals to spawn after the last enemy (like 10 minutes) so if you want to farm these it'd probably be a good idea to go to a shop floor. Another optimization would be to find the helm with the largest strength bonus and keep one of those around since durability/defense is irrelevant.

As far as drops, I got each of their weapons but that may just be guaranteed. Not lucky enough to get blueprints. A single weapon is enough to level their masteries at least.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 31, 2016

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
For the love of god I hope devs get rid of bosses NOT dropping anything. It's the worst.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

FrickenMoron posted:

For the love of god I hope devs get rid of bosses NOT dropping anything. It's the worst.

Yeah... Very demoralizing and feels wrong that bosses can not drop anything when pretty much any mook will leave you something.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also trying to get a super ultra grade iron... annoyingly rare materials. :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fumaofthelake posted:

Yeah... Very demoralizing and feels wrong that bosses can not drop anything when pretty much any mook will leave you something.

Yeah, like every screamer seems guaranteed to drop something.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Also trying to get a super ultra grade iron... annoyingly rare materials. :(

Lol yup I've been buying them since the first time seeing the 31-40 shop and still only have 12.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any idea where the shop is today from 31-40F? Ive scoured Wakaba and the 32F that can spawn the irons a few times but no luck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FrickenMoron posted:

Any idea where the shop is today from 31-40F? Ive scoured Wakaba and the 32F that can spawn the irons a few times but no luck.

I think the shop is unique per person. It moves when you quit the the game.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Like Snak said I think it's per person. I actually didn't know it could spawn in Wakaba, I do Uchinobu 33F and Haratsuka 39F. It's always been in one of those two for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Megaflare posted:

Like Snak said I think it's per person. I actually didn't know it could spawn in Wakaba, I do Uchinobu 33F and Haratsuka 39F. It's always been in one of those two for me.

Which character do you use for boss farming anyways? The T5 lucky star really peters out from 35F+. Im thinking about rerolling either a striker or attacker until I get 24 or 25 str on one.

Edit: Also i need to farm silver/bronze skillshrooms really badly. Where do people usually find them?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 31, 2016

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I got One Shot One Kill out of the UD box and, along with 3-starring the assault and sniper rifles I was able to take a fresh Shooter (primed with a golden snail) though like 5 floors of Crowley's area without being in anything approximating danger. Even a lovely unimproved sniper rifle was doing like 3k if I hit a critical headshot. Compared to grinding my way through with a Striker it's night and day, although this could also be because I've seen no black candle wolf yet.

I feel like I should have been using shooters as my main climbers a lot earlier then this. Please tell me that decal shows up in the shop at some point.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Which character do you use for boss farming anyways? The T5 lucky star really peters out from 35F+. Im thinking about rerolling either a striker or attacker until I get 24 or 25 str on one.

Actually I'm still trying to figure out the best thing to do here. I'm not really doing just boss runs at the moment, I usually run around for materials and shrooms too. I do kill GOTO and U-10 on most trips as a collector though. GOTO is dead in a single sting/cloak with the death burner. Standing behind him seems to be the best for making sure all the particles hit and especially now I want to save chopper/katana durability for jackals. I really want to get GOTO dead quickly reliably with no cloak though. I can fight him heads-up but it's hard to get in good damage while the sting shroom is up because he's so twitchy so the fight drags on. Another thing I was thinking of was getting him in to his aura mode then moving away and dragonshrooming his face with a pitching machine. U-10 has like no health and just sting+guard is fast, too small for the iron though. Guard is optional once you get used to him.

If I was just doing boss runs I think I would try the raging bull attacker/striker build. You can remove giant killer for treasure hunter so you know exactly where you're going and bring a snail to dip your hp again when you need to. With 240% atk up from sting and the bulls I think you can make it quick with a guardshroom even if you get batted around a bit being super aggressive. And I get like 8 guardshrooms every batch of expeditions which is a hell of a lot more than the number of cloaks I bring in.

I've not been killing Jin-Die because I don't really care about her metals but the only aluminum alloy I've found was in her room so maybe I should start.

For skillshrooms, try main boss floors with expeditions. I'm not sure about this.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Meiteron posted:

I got One Shot One Kill out of the UD box and, along with 3-starring the assault and sniper rifles I was able to take a fresh Shooter (primed with a golden snail) though like 5 floors of Crowley's area without being in anything approximating danger. Even a lovely unimproved sniper rifle was doing like 3k if I hit a critical headshot. Compared to grinding my way through with a Striker it's night and day, although this could also be because I've seen no black candle wolf yet.

I feel like I should have been using shooters as my main climbers a lot earlier then this. Please tell me that decal shows up in the shop at some point.

You can trade the regular version for 2 gold skillshrooms, and yes they stack. :)

Edit: 20F has bronze/silver shrooms. so im just farming there.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 31, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What's the ryback gear good for? I use the mask, but I don't think I've had the armour drop ever. It's more war ensemble, right?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah theres a few sets for each vendor, all slightly different statswise. Its mainly about which looks you prefer really.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Snak posted:

For whatever it's worth, I also play like this. Progress is very slow but I'm enjoying the game itself and I'm in no rush to get anywhere.

As for music, I had Always See You There by winnie when I started but it quickly got old so I switched to Nosaru by Aural Vampire. Because of the long intro and steady Darkwave beat, I found that it works well as background music. I actually really like the soundtrack but drat, a lot of artists sound like Bizzaro World versions of familiar bands like Jimmy Eat World, Feeder, Nine Inch Nails, AFI, Thrice, Killswitch Engage, Green Day, Reel Big Fish and whatever else was popular in the West a few decades ago.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there any point to keeping low tier characters around after a new Tier is unlocked? Just beat Max and now most of my party seems useless aside from as extra stash space.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Can anyone confirm if you need to beat both 26F Coen and 26F Jin-Die on the same run in order to unlock the 27F elevator, or can I go back to the waiting room to gear up in between?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Is there any point to keeping low tier characters around after a new Tier is unlocked? Just beat Max and now most of my party seems useless aside from as extra stash space.
The grade of your fighters in your freezer affects your "Rank", so it will also affect what targets you get when you do random raids in TDM, if that concerns you.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Taratang posted:

Can anyone confirm if you need to beat both 26F Coen and 26F Jin-Die on the same run in order to unlock the 27F elevator, or can I go back to the waiting room to gear up in between?

Can confirm the latter, I went back down after seeing that gate had another lock because I didn't have time to go kill another boss. First gate was still unlocked after I went back and killed Jin-Die the next day.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Can anyone tell me if the grade 4 fighter shortcut is up today?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Jesus, what's it take to kick off the regional fights? I've been raiding Texans for like an hour because it told me the fight would start soon, but those bars don't seem to budge :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Just got to 23f COEN and holy hell does all of my gear feel outdated, but everything better requires black metal!
Is there a place to reliably get it? Right now screamers are eating two full combos from my hammer before dying

• Locked thread