Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

SonicRulez posted:

Can Lancers even CC Provoke? Even if you could, why would you ever bother using it?

Before you put on your job stone you can CC pretty much anything.

Also, if you don't refresh the page before commenting, you start a new one answering a question for the third or fourth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've never been raged at, but then again all BLM really has to do is blow poo poo up.

I was gently told not to use Bards mp regan even when the WHM is out of mp, but they we're really polite :shobon:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Actual Provoke Protip: Provoke has a 25y range, 10y longer than anything else a tank can do. If you're clever about it, you can use it to make some multi-pack pulls way smoother.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've never been raged at, but then again all BLM really has to do is blow poo poo up.

I was gently told not to use Bards mp regan even when the WHM is out of mp, but they we're really polite :shobon:

Why would the healer not want mp when they are out, that's more Holy they could be using.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Reiterpallasch posted:

which way's clockwise again

Well you see it's different if you're tanking.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I've definitely been told to stop using AoE attacks in lower level dungeons because I'm taking aggro from the tank. I usually just ignore them, unless I'm actually in danger of dying, because the lower level dungeons are pretty boring to just kill mobs one by one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Why would the healer not want mp when they are out, that's more Holy they could be using.

Because they could be using foes instead for more damage.

Well, if the WHM is out of MP then they should have been using foes already, but you get my point.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

kojicolnair posted:

I've definitely been told to stop using AoE attacks in lower level dungeons because I'm taking aggro from the tank. I usually just ignore them, unless I'm actually in danger of dying, because the lower level dungeons are pretty boring to just kill mobs one by one.

My heart goes out to those excited level 30-ish Paladins who just got their job stone and venture into a new dungeon feeling tankier and more badass than ever, then promptly run into a geared and competent Summoner who's ready to test his shiny new Bane skill.

Not that it'll stop me from using it and making them earn every point of emnity, otherwise how else are they gonna learn?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

My heart goes out to those excited level 30-ish Paladins who just got their job stone and venture into a new dungeon feeling tankier and more badass than ever, then promptly run into a geared and competent Summoner who's ready to test his shiny new Bane skill.

Not that it'll stop me from using it and making them earn every point of emnity, otherwise how else are they gonna learn?

I don't know how Sword and Shield Oath weren't swapped all the way back in 2.1, when they made the changes to Warrior. It's such a glaring design problem and I know they look at that poo poo because they changed the levels of guildhests around that time.

Or 2.2.
Or 2.3
Or 2.4..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Whats crazier is if you're a WAR you can flash almost as much as a PLD at those levels and follow up with overpower spam. PLD really is garbage under 50.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The only time I've been really raged at was when I was lvling THM for Swiftcast. The tank couldn't hold aggro at all so halfway trough I told him he should try doing a better job at that. He just told me that I should "shut up and do damage" and then the party vote-kicked me.

Which reminds me once when I was tanking we had a SCH healer that said they weren't feeling too good and were gonna go lie down for a bit, putting on follow and leaving the fairy to heal and it worked just fine, didn't even notice they were gone (healing wise).

Demicol fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 31, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

PLD really is garbage.

ftfy

i nearly lost my mind leveling pld just for provoke, it's awful. I'm sure it gets better but geez it was rough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's not true, paladins are OK at 60, as long as it's an entirely single target fight, and there are breaks in the fight to regain TP, and the damage is mostly physical.

So, uh, A11S?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The biggest thing I miss about PLD is shield swipe on the GCD. Bulwark was basically a DPS cooldown at that point and passing around pacifications allowed healers to DPS more and was also good about spreading enmity if people were aoeing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also paladin owns and you shouldn't be running out of TP pretty much ever unless you're fracturing a lot at 60 and you shouldn't be doing that. Passing goring blades around a pack of enemies is actually tp-positive and the PLD's main combos are TP neutral. If you're casting a stoneskin or clemency basically ever in a fight and not fracturing except to snapshot buffs you shouldn't run out of TP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think that having to stop doing damage in order to not run out of TP is very good.

Here's what they should have done with shield swipe back in 3.1:

-OGCD 15s cooldown
-Can be used any time, but a successful block resets the cooldown
-Does a half-circle AOE with increased enmity
-Restores a small amount of TP on use

Instead they picked probably the dumbest way to fix the problem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also paladin owns and you shouldn't be running out of TP pretty much ever unless you're fracturing a lot at 60 and you shouldn't be doing that. Passing goring blades around a pack of enemies is actually tp-positive and the PLD's main combos are TP neutral. If you're casting a stoneskin or clemency basically ever in a fight and not fracturing except to snapshot buffs you shouldn't run out of TP.

If you have a pack of enemies to split your combo between PLD is a joke compared to DRK and WAR.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Paladin's pretty great in A10S I find. Sheltron + extra CD will be up for every tank buster. Divine Seal is great for all the AoE damage that gets thrown around. Tempered Will lets you eat the add's cleave if the OT fails to hold aggro (which I've seen many many times with OTs who try to tank it in DPS stance) and not get knocked into a button/side panel. And there's always Hallowed Ground.

And you've got plenty of breaks to not run out of TP with the charges, blighted, spin, and the steamroller.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also Paladin is infinitely the most boring tank option when the alternatives are "viking pirate barbarian" or "edgelord cloud strife".

I mean gently caress Gladiators never even fight in a coliseum. :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sword and Shield Protector is a #classiccombo and rooted in millennia of legend and fable. It isn't boring, it's badass and understandable.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

#classiccombo
ie, boring

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really like PLD. Maybe that's because I'm not that good. Less buttons to remember. One of the cooldowns is a flat "I'm ignoring stuff" if I make a huge mistake. Leveling it sucked canal water though. It's beyond stupid that you don't get Shield Oath at 30. And that Flash deals no damage.

I've never really been raged at. Snarked at a couple times, but never outright raged. I'd be pretty salty if I ever got votekicked. Even at my crankiest, I always try to be constructive. Please do not attack the bubbles during lightning phase. Drop your mad deeps to stop us from wiping to Ancient Flare again.

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

It's all DoWs, I think. The only use for it is to grab ARC, load up with flash/provoke/savage blade, go into any CT raid and try to be as annoying as possible. Bonus points if you're with 7 FC mates and they are also all on basic classes.

Please tell me this isn't something actual people do. Not after what can be a 90 minute queue for the thing to even pop.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Listen, I want to get up in an enemy's face and do cool sword tricks with my cool sword. This game says in order to do that I have to either use an enormous sword, with different tricks, or a shield in addition to my cool sword.

In Stormblood I guess I could do cool sword tricks with a skinny sword after doing some magic from far away first, but again, that's not the same.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
One thing I really hate about pubbie Paladin players is they never use cover. Cover owns and allows a DPS or a Healer to ignore mechanics. Cover a DPS during On High, they won't be moved. Pair this with your other dumb cooldowns for even dumber crap. Tempered Will and Cover? Oh look, two people aren't being moved around. Throw out a stoneskin on the other player not marked with a tornado and only that guy gets rocketed away.

It's one of the dirtiest tricks a Paladin can utilize and you pretty much never see it in DF.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 31, 2016

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Please tell me this isn't something actual people do. Not after what can be a 90 minute queue for the thing to even pop.

I'm pretty sure it's indeed something goons do when they want to perpetuate their epic lol bone zone lol memes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bone zone owns

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you want to troll, you shouldn't be actively obnoxious. That's low-level trolling and just makes you come off as an idiot. The better way to do it is to not actually make things harder for people, but in a way that they don't expect. That's why the bone zone works well. It's a perfectly valid way of doing the fight, but it drives people crazy because THAT'S NOT HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO IT

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, that's exactly how you're supposed to do it. All those people are wrong

vvv: lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 31, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tanking in the north is acceptable as well, and you're just as bad as the "pubbies" if you think there's only one way to do a fight.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, Ozma meteors are the same way. People will type their fingers raw about back and left, but it's very much doable if people go left and right. As long as they aren't dropped too close to eachother, nothing happens. So if people only go about a third of the way in on each ring segment, that's perfectly fine. And it's pretty clear from the arena design that's how it was intended to be done.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Back and right, with tank on the front-left instead of front-right, would probably be the cleanest way to handle it. Much the same as the current meta, except healers going out to grab orbs as they approach from the right, don't have to worry about timing their trip past the tank laser.

But yeah, bone zone being the intended way of doing the mechanic is loving obvious just from looking at the arena layout.

Tanking bone dragon on the edge is functional and all, but especially back when it was relevant it meant that skeleton killing was largely up to ranged dps because the skeletons would go tromping through the sludge to get to the dragon, discouraging melee dps from helping with that since it kinda hurt at the time.

As gear improved, of course, killing skeletons became less of an issue in general - thus making it all the more impressive that they still fail to get killed - and surviving standing in the sludge also became less of an issue. So there's really no harm in tanking the thing to the north or whatever, but it's still pretty clear how the fight was meant to work.

Vil fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don't different data centers have different metas for some of those fights? Like aether has different expectations for those fights than primal?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've had to run CT for the past few weeks and people always tank the dragon toward the way out. What's the other way of doing it and why is there a debate?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want to troll, you shouldn't be actively obnoxious. That's low-level trolling and just makes you come off as an idiot. The better way to do it is to not actually make things harder for people, but in a way that they don't expect. That's why the bone zone works well. It's a perfectly valid way of doing the fight, but it drives people crazy because THAT'S NOT HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO IT

Agreed. Trolling is only really funny if it makes people unreasonably mad, otherwise you're being a jackass and going "wow, people sure are mad when I'm a jackass!".

SonicRulez posted:

I've had to run CT for the past few weeks and people always tank the dragon toward the way out. What's the other way of doing it and why is there a debate?

The other way to do it is to just tank it where it spawns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't different data centers have different metas for some of those fights? Like aether has different expectations for those fights than primal?

On aether, the dragon is usually tanked in the center like makes sense. On the very rare occasion that someone tries to tank it elsewhere, either another tank will grab it back or, more commonly, people will just shrug and roll with it.

On primal, from hearsay in this thread, the dragon's tanked on an edge and people go into an amazing degree of nerd rage if someone has the nerve to tank it in the center. Objectivity and adaptability are clearly not among that data center's strengths. Either that or the thread exaggerates how often this happens and how dramatically people react, which is also quite possible.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Skaw posted:

One thing I really hate about pubbie Paladin players is they never use cover. Cover owns and allows a DPS or a Healer to ignore mechanics. Cover a DPS during On High, they won't be moved. Pair this with your other dumb cooldowns for even dumber crap. Tempered Will and Cover? Oh look, two people aren't being moved around. Throw out a stoneskin on the other player not marked with a tornado and only that guy gets rocketed away.

It's one of the dirtiest tricks a Paladin can utilize and you pretty much never see it in DF.

that sort of thing only works if you're in a premade. with randoms, no one expects or trusts other people to handle mechanics for them so they'll all just move themselves and your clever cooldown usage does nothing.

I won expert again today:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh man, unlocking Duties makes this game three times as fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

On primal, from hearsay in this thread, the dragon's tanked on an edge and people go into an amazing degree of nerd rage if someone has the nerve to tank it in the center. Objectivity and adaptability are clearly not among that data center's strengths. Either that or the thread exaggerates how often this happens and how dramatically people react, which is also quite possible.

Way back when CT1 was still relevant, tanking in the center was a surefire way to cause a wipe, because people would be too busy trying to steal threat or typing angry words that they couldn't just adapt and move on. A year ago when aether oils came out I'd say it was a coin toss between people getting upset or just rolling with it, and even when they did get upset it rarely caused a wipe (because the fight is piss easy when everyone is synced to i130).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Griz posted:

I won expert again today:

My irrational fear is that one day someone's gonna post one of these in the thread and I'll be in the picture. It's good, it makes me play better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orty
May 14, 2007

Any LS/people on Gilgamesh? Transferred to play with some friends ages ago and they have all since stopped playing.

• Locked thread