Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Hey guys, going to be running a trpg game set after a collapse of civilization due to WWI lasting until 1919 and a more virulent Spanish Flu. What we're both sides plans for 1919 if the Germans hadn't collapsed and what sort of weapon systems would have seen service had the war continued?

The Germans establish a new, deep defensive line somewhere in the rear during the winter, somewhere near the Rhine and the Belgian-German border is as good as anywhere, and cling to it for literal grim death while trying not to starve; their civilians are too ill to have a revolution; the Entente loads the American army into a million Renault FTs and points them in the vague direction of Berlin.

What exactly would have happened and where is literally impossible to predict (and highly useful for a GM) because Foch's entire philosophy as Supreme Allied Commander was one of opportunism; he didn't much give a poo poo about advancing in any one particular place so long as they were hitting the enemy where they were weakest and continuing to force everyone to retreat to avoid being cut off from their mates who were actually under attack, and so not allowing the Germans to ever dig another really good trench line to bog the war down again. You could literally set heavy fighting anywhere between and to the west of, say, Stuttgart and Bielefeld, and be able to justify it.

For your purposes there aren't going to be too many new weapons lying around that weren't in wide use by 1918; the good guys have now, finally, worked out what to do and what to use, and just need to keep doing it. You could probably get away with saying the Germans managed to mass-produce the LKII tank and the MP18, and the Americans the Ford 3-tonner, the Browning Automatic Rifle and the Tommy gun.

edit: oh yeah, and Lewisite, lots and lots of loving Lewisite everywhere

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Polish forces fighting under Napoleon were bad rear end, loyal and looked incredibly nice especially their elites.

It always amuses me the best lancers were either the Polish or the Dutch now for the French too. Then I remember the Russian Invasion is sort of the reason why the French never did get around to establishing an independent French lancers because of all the dead soldiers and horses.

Speaking of weird national historical focus the 1812 campaign weirdly gets underwritten a lot in western media until recently, despite being the sort of turning point for the conflict.

I like Napoleon's 1813 and 1814 campaigns because he was working with very little cavalry and mostly conscript infantry.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Maybe a dumb question, but how come so many Soviet guns are a bit bigger than their western "peer"? It doesn't seem to just be a one off thing; the 3.7cm Pak36 got up-graded to 45mm for the M1932 and above, the minor example of the 76mm ZIS-3 vs 75mm short guns, the 85mm ZIS-S-53 vs the 76mm M1, the 100mm D-10 vs 90mm M3, the 115mm 2A20 vs the 105mm L7, and the 2A46M vs the 120mm M256A1. Is there a reason for that, or am I jumping to conclusions?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Panzeh posted:

I like Napoleon's 1813 and 1814 campaigns because he was working with very little cavalry and mostly conscript infantry.

Yeah he really was great at commanding raw materiel in the most desperate situations, if he had a few hundred thousand more of those guys he may have just delayed the the invasion of Paris.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

All Pikes Are Beautiful

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but how come so many Soviet guns are a bit bigger than their western "peer"? It doesn't seem to just be a one off thing; the 3.7cm Pak36 got up-graded to 45mm for the M1932 and above, the minor example of the 76mm ZIS-3 vs 75mm short guns, the 85mm ZIS-S-53 vs the 76mm M1, the 100mm D-10 vs 90mm M3, the 115mm 2A20 vs the 105mm L7, and the 2A46M vs the 120mm M256A1. Is there a reason for that, or am I jumping to conclusions?

This doesn't really work because armies had guns of all sorts of calibers. The 75mm vs 76mm ZIS-3 doesn't work when you take into account the US or British 76mm guns and so on.

All of these guns come under a set of guidelines/requirements that lead up to their development. The gun needs to be X tonnes heavy, be able to be moved by X crew, and capable of penetrating X mm of armor*. Designers go to the drawing board and come up with designs, sometimes based off of older guns to make new guns entirely, or upgrade old guns to improve them (Flak 18 -> Flak 36).

You also have to factor how it'll affect supply/manufacturing of new stocks of ammo.

To go back to one of your examples, the ZiS-3 actually derives from the F-22USV, which itself is a variant of the F-22, which had a chamber/caliber that could fire 76.2mm rounds from older division guns 76mm M1900 and 76mm M1902.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

You know who's not?
Suck it mil hist nerds :cawg:
Seems there's no active new zealanders, pacific islanders, Japanese or eastern aussies with a social life to beat me.
Happy new year nerds.
I learnt something today. Never had a clue about the Ottomans in SE asia, but makes sense when the independent nations became Islamic.

SE Asia was being islamized since the 1300s dude

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

The Germans establish a new, deep defensive line somewhere in the rear during the winter, somewhere near the Rhine and the Belgian-German border is as good as anywhere, and cling to it for literal grim death while trying not to starve; their civilians are too ill to have a revolution; the Entente loads the American army into a million Renault FTs and points them in the vague direction of Berlin.

What exactly would have happened and where is literally impossible to predict (and highly useful for a GM) because Foch's entire philosophy as Supreme Allied Commander was one of opportunism; he didn't much give a poo poo about advancing in any one particular place so long as they were hitting the enemy where they were weakest and continuing to force everyone to retreat to avoid being cut off from their mates who were actually under attack, and so not allowing the Germans to ever dig another really good trench line to bog the war down again. You could literally set heavy fighting anywhere between and to the west of, say, Stuttgart and Bielefeld, and be able to justify it.

For your purposes there aren't going to be too many new weapons lying around that weren't in wide use by 1918; the good guys have now, finally, worked out what to do and what to use, and just need to keep doing it. You could probably get away with saying the Germans managed to mass-produce the LKII tank and the MP18, and the Americans the Ford 3-tonner, the Browning Automatic Rifle and the Tommy gun.

edit: oh yeah, and Lewisite, lots and lots of loving Lewisite everywhere

I could also see both sides using similar tanks through battlefield captures; most of the tanks the Germans fielded were captured British and French vehicles, so I think if both sides started mass producing tanks they would also start capturing each other's stuff more often.

Would there be any greater use of semi-automatic rifles? I know the French had some Winchesters contracted and shipped to them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spectralent posted:

Soviets (and Germans) were far beyond everyone else in the heavy gun race during WW2 but I'd say there's no single reason, nor is it always obvious what guns constitute "peers".

For example the Soviet 45mm gun was based on the Rheinmetall 37mm gun but the bore was enlarged to improve HE capability. Brits on the other hand went with 2-pounder guns but remarkably didn't procure a HE shell at all, deeming such small shells ineffective. On the other hand Soviets retained Imperial measurements for calibers because they inherited a ton of weapons made to those measures, thus T-34 got equipped with a 3 inch gun (76.2mm). The Sherman on the other hand was armed with a 75mm gun despite United States mostly sticking to Imperial measurements because the gun was based on the French '75', and the French of course used the metric system. When Soviets adopted the Stokes-Brandt mortar they increased the caliber from 3.2 inches to 82mm probably just because it was a nicer number than 81.28mm (incidentally Brits called it the 3-inch mortar which it very clearly wasn't).

And what should we consider as peers? The US had 3-inch and 90mm AA guns, Soviets had 3-inch and 85mm AA guns while Germans had 88mm and 128mm heavy FlaKs. Is the 85mm gun used on T-34/85 the peer of the 76mm gun used on Shermans, or is it the equivalent of the 90mm gun used on M26 and M36? And should we compare the 105mm Royal Ordnance L7 to the uncommon T-62 armament or the much more mundane 100mm gun on T-55?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Soviets went with bigger guns in general because they were wary about their metallurgy being able to consistently produce smaller calibre guns that can handle higher pressures.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Well, the main reason I was thinking of all those was they were tank-armament calibers. Though on reflection, I guess a big part of it probably boils down to "They added 10mm to their gun! Let's add 10mm to ours!".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

That said, New Zealand probably needs to borrow a lot of money for the necessary investments first. Don't know if that tiny country could do this on their own, maybe the rest of the Commonwealth could help out?

The Commonwealth isn't even the EU let alone like the US; it doesnt actually do things. Something like that would last have been a possibility in like the 30s.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 31, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spectralent posted:

Well, the main reason I was thinking of all those was they were tank-armament calibers. Though on reflection, I guess a big part of it probably boils down to "They added 10mm to their gun! Let's add 10mm to ours!".

Not really. Most gun calibers have a history based on much older designs and the existence of tooling for a specific size bore. The 88 has its roots in a late 19th century naval gun, for example. The decisions that dictate exactly how wide a gun is have more to do with the measurement system used by the engineers, the tooling used to build the weapons, the tooling used to build new tooling, and a whole host of other engineering/production considerations.

Things also get more complicated because of differences in how you measure a gun's bore. Is the bore land to land or groove to groove? Small arms ammo in particular is just awful for this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spectralent posted:

Well, I'd guess it has more to do with defeating better armor defenses. To make a tank gun that hits harder or penetrates more armor, upping the gun size is one obvious way to try going about it - the others tend to be more focused on improving the gun's penetrating power or improving the rounds the gun fires.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

This was actually the case with the 2A20 vs the L7! :v:Marshal Chuikov of Stalingrad fame was not an intellectual director of the Red Army under Krushchev. So when he heard about the L7 being bigger than the D-10T he demanded that the next Soviet cannon be larger.

When told it wasn't ready due to issues with the stabilization:

"Why are you jerking me around about how the gun is mounted!? I don't care if it's on a pig, I want that gun!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spectralent posted:

Even then, not quite. You upgrade your guns based on what the other guy has... in terms of armor, not because their guns are bigger. Tanks would get bigger guns or longer guns because their current armament was insufficient at penetrating enemy tanks, or because their HE shells were ineffective.

That's why the T-34 went from the 76mm to 85mm, why the Panzer IV went from short 75mm to long 75mm. The Panther tank had a long 75mm gun, and the Panther II, apparently, was going to be produced with a 75mm gun as well.

It also has to do with limitations of the tank design as well, such as why the M4 Shermans started out with a short 75mm gun and required a new turret to be able to fit the long 76mm gun. Or why the Panzer IV never had a long 88m, and so on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

The Commonwealth isn't even the EU let alone like the US; it doesnt actually do things. Something like that would last have been a possibility in like the 30s.

That's kind of sad. So do the other Commonwealth nations do nothing, not even giving preferential treatment in economic negotiations or other mild things? (Like working together militarily, to keep on topic) What if a Tsunami hits New Zealand, will the other nations of the Commonwealth just go "Good luck jerks, hope you can breath underwater?"? :confused:

Edit:

I don't know anything about how the Commonwealth actually works, but I always assumed it would work like some kind of informal EU, with nations helping each other out if in trouble. I guess I was very wrong here.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

The Soviets had 37 mm guns too, but they were replaced with 45 mm guns, which could deliver a bigger HE load. This was important, since infantry support tanks were armed with 45 mm guns. During WWII, the upgraded high velocity 45 mm M-42 could be compared to the 50 mm Pak 38 rather than the 37 mm Pak.

75 vs 76 mm is a tiny difference, plus the British and Americans both used 75 and 76 mm guns. The reason the USSR used 76 (rather, 76.2) mm guns was inheritance from the Tsarist times, when 76.2 (exactly 3 inches) was settled on as a caliber for field artillery.

The S-53 used the ballistics of the 85 mm AA gun. If you want to compare that to an American equivalent, compare it to the 90 mm AA gun. The Soviets also had a 76 mm AA gun, which was used to design the ZIS-3 (not the one you're thinking of) and the 76 mm S-54 tank guns.

The 100 mm D-10 can be compared to the 10.5 cm Flak 38 in terms of muzzle velocity. Like I said before, if you want to look at the medium AA gun class, the 85 mm 52-K is the gun you should be looking at.

spectralent posted:

You can't really do that. This came up a lot during WWII. Want to plug a 107 mm gun into the IS? Splendid, except all the 107 mm ammunition we have is Tsarist era HE grenades. Want a 130 mm bunker buster? Neato, where are you going to get ammo for it? That's a Navy caliber, stick with a 122 mm gun like we already have.

When you need a new gun during wartime, you take an existing gun that's bigger and shove it into your tank. Usually your bet was an AA gun (ZIS-3, S-53, S-54) or a corps gun (D-25, ML-20). In peacetime, you have the luxury of developing something new (F-34) or playing with the barrel length on an existing gun (L-10 -> L-11).

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even then, not quite. You upgrade your guns based on what the other guy has... in terms of armor, not because their guns are bigger. Tanks would get bigger guns or longer guns because their current armament was insufficient at penetrating enemy tanks, or because their HE shells were ineffective.

That's why the T-34 went from the 76mm to 85mm, why the Panzer IV went from short 75mm to long 75mm. The Panther tank had a long 75mm gun, and the Panther II, apparently, was going to be produced with a 75mm gun as well.

It also has to do with limitations of the tank design as well, such as why the M4 Shermans started out with a short 75mm gun and required a new turret to be able to fit the long 76mm gun. Or why the Panzer IV never had a long 88m, and so on.

The Sherman didn't require a new turret to use 76 mm guns, the T23 turret was just a lot better so there was no reason not to use it.

Similarly, the S-53 worked perfectly fine in the hexagonal T-34 turret, but the bigger T-43 turret was already designed and solved a lot of the problems with the small two man turrets, so there was no reason to not use it.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Libluini posted:

That's kind of sad. So do the other Commonwealth nations do nothing, not even giving preferential treatment in economic negotiations or other mild things? (Like working together militarily, to keep on topic) What if a Tsunami hits New Zealand, will the other nations of the Commonwealth just go "Good luck jerks, hope you can breath underwater?"? :confused:

Edit:

I don't know anything about how the Commonwealth actually works, but I always assumed it would work like some kind of informal EU, with nations helping each other out if in trouble. I guess I was very wrong here.

I think Australia and New Zealand count more on the American umbrella, to be honest.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

Edit:

We've got a pound shop Olympics I guess, and the Queen tours occasionally?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

i am interested in the fantasy austro-hungarians

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

HEY GAL posted:

Gonna go with "dead as poo poo" in this timeline.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Corbeau posted:

Gonna go with "dead as poo poo" in this timeline.
that's our timeline too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

that's our timeline too

I'm guessing the fantasy Italians are in the same boat.

That particular apple fell hard from the Roman tree.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

do not insult my glacier-dwelling ancestors! hell, they're probably still up there, i remember someone found a grave full of austro-hungarians in that front a while ago when the ice melted

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

do not insult my glacier-dwelling ancestors! hell, they're probably still up there, i remember someone found a grave full of austro-hungarians in that front a while ago when the ice melted

Attacking a fortified position in the Alps across a river once and failing is understandable. Attacking said position seven times, less so.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

Let me try this.

In Fantasy Italy, the New Spanish Flue arrives with the British and French troops send to help Italy against Austria-Hungary. The flue spreads all over Italy and then northwards, roughly following the soldiers. Over several months, the front against Austria-Hungary weakens to the point where German troops with the help of some leftover Austrian units can reverse the war and finally break through.

But because of how the military officers involved underestimate the flue pandemic, tons of German and Austrian soldiers get infected. With wounded soldiers and freed POWs the Spanish Flue soon reaches even Vienna. Ravaged from both war and disease, Austria-Hungary collapses even as the combined German-Austrian forces reach Rome.

Just hours before reaching Rome, the last officer of note in the invading army, Captain Erwin Rommel, finally and tragically succumbs to the Spanish Flue, too. The remnant of the German-Austrian forces in Itally dissolve in panic, spreading the disease to every last bit of Italy still left unaffected. The death toll in Italy and Austria-Hungary reaches absurd numbers, the government in those regions collapses in just a couple months, making the problem even worse.

At the very end, the Spanish Flue rages so fast through broken Austria-Hungary, it even overtakes the infection spreading through Germany, and reaches Russia long before the first cases of the Spanish Flue are reported in Eastern Germany.

Now I could write in detail what happens in Russia next when Spanish Flue 2.0 arrives, but I don't want to give you nightmares so close before the end of 2016.

Guten Rutsch!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Same as the Germans except with armoured cars instead of tanks; fall back to the Carso and a new line in southern Serbia, try not to die for as long as possible, hope the Italian/Serbian/Venizelist Greek/French/British coalition falls apart before us and Bulgaria do.

Cythereal posted:

Attacking a fortified position in the Alps across a river once and failing is understandable. Attacking said position seven times, less so.

Excuse you, they succeeded at the sixth attempt. The other six battles were fought at least a mile and a half to the east!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 31, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I'd argue that sending wave after wave of armies at the enemy is a very Roman thing to do.

The difference is that the Romans would, like, probably sack their commanding officer after he failed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elyv posted:

I'd argue that sending wave after wave of armies at the enemy is a very Roman thing to do.

The difference is that the Romans would, like, probably sack their commanding officer after he failed.

To quote Winston Churchill, "Thank God, we had to have the Italians the last time!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, thread, many people are talking about what a bad year 2016 was, and glad they are to be rid of it. Are there other years people have felt like this? 1666? 1939? 1865? 1815, the year without a summer?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Char B, part 2

Queue: TK-3, Medium Tank Mk.II, Medium Tank Mk.III, KH-50 et al, PzIV, PzIII Ausf. A, PzIII Ausf. B through D, SR tanks

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
Howitzer Motor Carriage T-18

:britain:
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
Soviet tractor tanks
02SS Aerosan NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B1 bis

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
Pak 97/38
Pz.Sfl.IVb

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
ČKD TNH and LTP (Tanque 39) NEW

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Things also get more complicated because of differences in how you measure a gun's bore. Is the bore land to land or groove to groove? Small arms ammo in particular is just awful for this.

Not to mention that bore size alone is a terrible indicator of what kind of external ballistics to expect.

76mm AP is a lot more effective against armor than 75mm AP, but not because it's a millimeter and change larger in diameter, or because it weighs slightly more. It's because it has 33% more case volume and more powder, meaning that for a given barrel length, the projectile is going to be moving quite a bit faster.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. If it weren't :filez:, I'd share the Weird War I sourcebooks with you. They're honestly pretty interesting.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Across the shell-pocked lunar landscape of
Flanders, things not of this earth crawl and
slither through the corpse-choked mud. Shapes
beyond imagining are glimpsed moving in the
dirty white chlorine clouds that drift across the
Ypres battlefield. In the Pripet Marshes dark
waters stir as the long-dead remains of executed
criminals claw their way toward a sun they
haven’t glimpsed in a thousand years.
War comes to a continent still reeking with the
stench of the Black Death, peopled by degenerate
noble families holding secrets brought back from
the Crusades and the far-flung corners of the
globe; secrets dredged forth by world-spanning
empires whose enlightened explorers pillaged
dark corners best left alone. The sheer scale of
this war dwarfs previous human endeavors
in killing their fellow man, and carefully laid
tactics and strategies all come to naught in the
face of the massive destruction unleashed.
Cinch your gas mask on tight, hunch your
shoulders, and wait for the soul-shattering
whistle that will send you and your comrades
by the thousands into the killing fields of No
Man’s Land.
Welcome to Weird War One.
The New Dawn
Millennia ago, an unknown author inscribed
the tabula bellum, the “tablets of war.” The tablets
described how the energy released at the moment
of a person’s death could be captured and
harnessed by those with the proper knowledge.
Tremendous loss of life, like those associated
with war, could result in vast powers and even
supernatural abilities for those properly prepared.
This “Great Awakening” would usher in a
golden age for those ruthless enough to pay such
a high and terrible price.
Fragments of the tabula bellum were transcribed,
gathered, collected, and lost again over the
millenia. Many madmen (and women) attempted
to use the fragments for their own gain. Most
ended in disaster as poorly translated passages
caused the caster to go mad or perish in dark flame.
Other times the overly ambitious could not cause
enough death to fuel their infernal ceremonies.
Over time, a globe-spanning cabal of those
exposed to the tablets’ dark rituals evolved.
Civilizations came and went, as did secret
organizations based around those with the
forbidden knowledge. These cults have been
known by many names throughout the ages—the
Sons of Ra, Horns of Ba’al, Gatekeepers, and most
recently, the New Dawn.
Luckily for humanity, a secretive and select
group called the Sons of Solomon rose to stop the
supernatural horrors of the world and those who
would use it for their own ends—including the
disciples of the tabula bellum.
The Sons are known by very few, preferring
instead to operate beneath another level of
secret organization such as the Twilight Legion,
the Order of St. George, the Templars (and later
the New Templars), and more recently MI-13 in
England, the Bureau des Phénomènes Mystérieux
Non Expliqués in France, or the Abteilung zur
Weiterentwicklung Spezieller Waffen und Truppen
(Department of Special Weapons and Troop
Development) in Germany.
Most members of these groups have no idea they
are but extensions of the far older Sons of Solomon.
Napoleon
In 1798, Napoléon Bonaparte departed for
Egypt. To the public, it was yet another campaign
of conquest. But the future Emperor had a far
greater goal in the sands of North Africa—he had
learned of the tabula bellum.

amed Library of Alexandria before its destruction
two thousand years earlier. Napoléon’s agents
didn’t find the tablets, but they did find ancient
Egyptian scrolls they believed were translations.
Unfortunately for them, ancient Egyptian was an
indecipherable and dead language.
But dark forces do not remain dormant for
long. Within a month of the scrolls’ discovery,
one of Napoléon’s own soldiers discovered a
curious black slab in the deserts a dozen leagues
northwest. The so-called Rosetta Stone contained
text in both Greek and ancient Egyptian that
allowed translation of the latter. Within the year,
Napoléon knew the screts of the tabula bellum.
Napoléon was ultimately defeated by the
Twilight Legion, a tale that will be told elsewhere.
But his scrolls, called the “Alexandria translation,”
eventually fell into the hands of a group calling
itself the New Dawn.
The Awakening
In 1870 the New Dawn formulated a plan to
bring about a massive war that would grant all its
members phenomenal, world-changing power.At
the scale they imagined, the Alexandra translation
would literally rip a hole in the fabric of reality.
They would be masters of a brand new world
they could change to their liking. They called this
promised event “the Awakening.”
To foment a war to end all wars, members of the
New Dawn slowly infiltrated key governmental
positions throughout the Western World,
becoming civil servants, diplomats, generals,
and policymakers. Those institutes they couldn’t
penetrate had their members subverted by the
promise of great wealth or personal power.
A key event in the New Dawn’s machinations
was the retirement of German Chancellor Otto
von Bismark. Though Bismarck was shrewd and
hungry for power, he was no enemy of mankind.
His agents thwarted operatives of the New Dawn
for many years before failing health forced him
to retire.
In England, Alistair Crowley’s Astrum
Argentum lured members of the upper class
into its embrace with the promise of forbidden
knowledge. France’s Rosicrucians worked to build
a mighty war machine emphasizing courage, the
spirit of the attack, and mass of forces. Russia’s
ruling class had long waged war against the
machinations of fell societies in Central Asia and
southeast Europe and was more resistant than
others to the New Dawn’s seductive call, but the
Tsar and his wife quickly fell under the influence
of an ancient member of the New Dawn named
Rasputin.
In Germany the New Dawn gained Kaiser
Wilhelm’s ear, feeding upon his feelings of
inferiority to the British. Austro-Hungary
saw the establishment in Vienna of the List
Society, which insinuated itself into the
ruling class through a variety of publications
feeding the fad of esoteric spiritualism.
The Foundation for the Harmonious
Advancement of Mankind rose in the US. Founded
by an anonymous donor and quickly enlisting
a number of wealthy American industrialists
including prominent yellow journalists, this
organization allowed the New Dawn to infiltrate
the highest levels of American society, although
the everchanging political landscape of the US
made long-term dominance of government
difficult for the cabal.
A web of entangling alliances, treaties, and
military policies descended on Europe like a
smothering rain of ash, setting the stage for the
massive bloodletting to come. New technologies
were encouraged and incorporated into
Europe’s arsenals, although doctrine continued
to emphasize élan and the spirit of the attack.
The scientific and industrial base were rapidly
expanded in the name of trade and globalism,
but in reality they served to set the stage for the
necessary inventions to escalate the bloodletting
to required levels. Most countries were subtly
encouraged to expand their overseas possessions,
ostensibly as a resource base and market for
manufactured goods, but in reality to serve as a
source of bodies for the coming conflict.
Harmonious Fists
By the late 1800s China had been carved
up into spheres of influence by the various
European powers, with many of these foreign
delegations infiltrated by members of the New
Dawn searching for knowledge believed to be
lost in the area. In 1899 one such search party
uncovered what they were looking for, but before
the forbidden knowledge could be spirited out of
the country the Chinese government was alerted.
Agents of the Twilight Legion disguised as a
local group called the Harmonious Fists moved
against the New Dawn the next year before they
could leave the country. They blockaded the
port of Tietsin and the main concentration of
Westerners in Peking, where the Sons believed
occultists held the forbidden manuscripts. Events
soon spiraled out of their control as a widespread
revolt against Westerners spread across
China. European newspapers were
filled with hyperbolic stories of terrible
atrocities perpetuated upon foreigners
by the Chinese.
Desperate to gain the newly
uncovered knowledge, New Dawn
agents across Europe and in the
United States used public opinion
to put together a 19,000-man-strong
international military coalition that
moved from the port of Tietsin to the
foreign legations in Peking. By August
the international force had smashed
the siege, forced the Dowager
Empress of China to the negotiating
table, and unbeknownst to all but a
select few, spirited the forbidden
information out of the country and
back to Europe.
After several years of painstaking
study and cross-correlation with
previously uncovered knowledge,
this new information sent an electric
jolt through the New Dawn’s ranks.
The lost scrolls foretold a bloodshedfilled
time when the veil of reality
would be especially thin, allowing
a special ceremony to bring about
the much anticipated world-wide
changes long sought by the cult.
By modern reckoning, it would fall
sometime in the middle of 1918.
and preparation by the New Dawn culminated
in a world ripe for the cataclysmic bloodshed that
would unleash the energies necessary for opening
the gate. It needed was a single spark to light the
fuse to global war.
In France, General Joffre was made Commander
in Chief of the French Army. Although he
had never commanded forces at this level, his
indoctrination into the New Dawn following
discoveries he made during the French-Sino War
made him the perfect man to lead the forces of
France into the impending cataclysm.
Lord Horatio Kitchener, British Secretary of
State for War, was one of the main New Dawn
agents in the United Kingdom. Kitchener was
actually a heroic soul, but he discovered forbidden
knowledge during his service in the Sudan. This
exposure and the weirdness generated by the
vicious fighting against the Mahdists drove him
mad. One day he plotted the destruction of the
world, and the next he tried to save it.
Like Joffre and Kitchener, British General Haig
encountered mind-blasting weirdness on
the battlefields of Africa and Asia. Upon
his return to England in 1911 he actively
sought out people with a knowledge
of the occult. By 1914 Haig had been
indoctrinated into the New Dawn, where
his position as aide-de-camp to King
George V gave the shadowy organization
unprecedented influence.
His time as Consul-General of Egypt
allowed Haig to carry out a program of
exploration of many forgotten tombs
hinted at in tomes and dusty scrolls. He
greatly expanded the brotherhood’s
knowledge of the requirements for the
Great War and added to their sorcerous
abilities.
The retirement of Bismark and the
insinuation of New Dawn agents into
the court of Kaiser Wilhelm did much
to strengthen their efforts in Germany.
Unfortunately for them, however, the
appointment of Helmuth von Moltke as
the Chief of the German Staff threw a
wrench in their plans for the upcoming
war. A friend of the Kaiser, Moltke
never accepted any of the New Dawn’s
overtures, and entered the war as a firm
German patriot. Several other highranking
officers in the German Staff were not
as resistant to the lure of power offered by the
cultists, however, and plans were put in place for
these pawns to play major roles in the upcoming
conflict.
In Russia, several high-ranking officers and
government officials had been suborned by the
New Dawn, despite the best efforts of the Tsar’s
secret police, the Okhrana, to ferret them out.
General Rennenkampf was one such individual.
Commanding a large force during the Boxer
Rebellion, he was responsible for the destruction
of several major forces of the Harmonious Fists,
thereby cementing his position as a highly
regarded member of the New Dawn. He was also
present in Siberia during the Tunguska Event, the
cult’s aborted attempt to enact some of the rituals
found in China.
Its pawns in place, the New Dawn began the
countdown toward the war that would culminate
in the much-anticipated event. Everything was
in place, from the leaders down to the killing
technology. This time, they vowed, the War to
End All Wars would occur and usher in a new age.
What the New Dawn didn’t count on, however,
were the unknowable effects of the Weird War.
The Great Plan
Following the assassination of Archduke
Ferdinand and his wife, the nations of Europe
mobilized for war. Hundreds of thousands of
men flocked to their countries’ colors, eager to
participate in this great adventure.
In the shadows, the New Dawn worked to
ensure that the onrushing train of war could not
be stopped. Jingoism and nationalistic fervor were
stoked to levels seldom seen before, fueled by new
technologies such as the telegraph and railroad, as
well as the all-pervasive newspaper.
In the west, Germany attacked through the
Low Countries according to the Schleiffen Plan.
Originally designed as a great wheeling maneuver
through neutral Belgium, the Netherlands, and
Luxembourg that would turn the flank of the
French forces through Flanders, the plan called
for a large German force on the right flank while
a smaller force fought a delaying, defensive battle
on the left wing. Devised in 1905, this plan would
have rapidly destroyed the French army and
then allowed Germany to turn to the east against
Russia.
Such a quick victory would have been anathema
to the New Dawn’s plans, and over the years the
plan was changed, shifting forces away from the
offensively oriented right wing and depriving it of
the striking power necessary for a decisive, warwinning
blow. Instead, as the long gray lines of
German troops marched to war in August of 1914,
the stage was set for descent into a morass from
which millions would not return.
Battle of the Frontiers
Belgium
The first path to total victory for Germany
lay in neutral Belgium. A strong fortress system
bolstered its tiny army of 100,000 men, while the
presence of a series of rivers also added to the
small country’s defensibility.
In the late 1800s, Liege had been turned into
a fortress city with the construction of a series of
forts ringing the city. Unbeknownst to the Belgian
government, the designer of the fortifications
incorporated an eldritch design into their
construction. Six pentagonal forts supplemented
by six secondary triangular forts were linked by
subterranean tunnels that completed a vast arcane
design. This design channeled the power of a
nearby ley line into the center of the city.
The true purpose for this system lay under the
metropolis. In 705 AD a pagan cult took hold in
the city, supplanting Christianity. Saint Lambert
arrived in the city soon after and encountered the
followers of Bacchus. St. Lambert finally defeated
an avatar of the god, which he imprisoned in the
city’s catacombs, despite being mortally wounded
in battle with Bacchus. The fortress system’s
design shored up the flagging power of the
creature’s prison located deep beneath the citadel.
In August 1914 the German Army brought up
a siege train containing a number of super-heavy
artillery pieces and reduced the forts ringing Liege
to rubble, the last surrendering on August 16th.
While this was a great victory for the Germans,
the destruction of the supernatural containment
field along with the death and fear of the garrison,
released and energized the avatar and freed it to
rampage across the countryside.
As the German Army moved through Belgium
it pushed the Allied forces relentlessly back
toward the French frontier. The Belgian people
unexpectedly rose up against their invaders,
ambushing soldiers, sniping at columns, and
destroying rails and bridges. The German Army
responded with reprisals, including hostagetaking
and executions, in an orgy of violence not
seen in Europe since the Thirty Years’ War.
Under Bacchus’ malignant influence, each
side escalated their attacks and soon vandalism,
plunder, arson, and wanton destruction reigned.
This not only hindered the Germans’ progress
and supply lines through the country, but also
provided the Allies with a propaganda coup.
Eventually the German General Staff concluded
that something was occurring beyond the natural.
Under orders from the Kaiser himself, the High
Command dispatched special teams of advisors
from the Abteilung zur Weiterentwicklung Spezieller
Waffen und Truppen (Department of Special
Weapons and Troop Development) to discover its
source. They eventually tracked down the ancient
entity, Bacchus, and with the help of Belgian
antiquities experts destroyed the mad god.
Unfortunately for the Sons of Solomon, the
“Rape of Belgium” became a rallying cry both in
Europe and around the world, shoring up public
support for the war. Increased enlistments and
sympathy for the Allied cause ensured a steady
supply of bodies for the meatgrinder…all to the
delight of the New Dawn.
Ardennes Attacks
On August 21st French troops advanced into
the tangled woods and ravines of the Ardennes.
Despite the warnings of locals, the infantry
marched into the area in a thick fog, brushing
aside several small formations of Germans. But
they were unable to find the main forces they had
been told lurked in the woods.
As the fog thickened and heavy rain poured
down on August 22nd, what appeared to be
ancient Germanic warriors leapt from ambush in
the thickets, cutting down the surprised French
troops and routing them. All across the front,
division after division fell back under the assault
of half-naked warriors wielding swords and
spears. By nightfall thousands of Allied casualties
littered the field.
Despite the exhortations of General Joffre
to attack, by August 23rd the Third and Fourth
Armies had been decisively defeated, beaten back
to their starting positions. As word of the ghostly
ancient foes spread, Joffre ordered drumhead
court martial trials for the commanding officers
of the routed units for “cowardice in the face of
the enemy.” Those who were most outspoken
about what they had faced in the dank forests
were quickly executed.
Mons
The British Expeditionary Force (BEF) fought
their first major engagement of the war at Mons
on August 23rd. Occupying defensive positions
along a canal, they held off a German force twice
their size. Official after-action reports attributed
the heavy German casualties to rapid, well-aimed
rifle fire from the small but veteran professional
British force.
Unofficially, stories soon spread of the presence
of ghostly bowmen from Agincourt, who aided
the Tommies by scything down the advancing
Germans with clouds of longbow arrows. British
authorities quickly acted to squash such stories,
and although official reports were sanitized, the
tale spread in a number of papers back in the UK.
British forces unexpectedly pulled back from
their prepared positions near the end of the day,
with their generals citing a correction of the lines
due to pressure on their French allies. In reality,
the heaps of German corpses along the canal and
its bridges caused by the phantom longbowmen
rose with a terrible vengeance as the sun set and
pursued the English soldiers throughout the
evening and night. A series of desperate rearguard
actions ensued as terrified Tommies beat back the
hungry dead.
Eventually the walking dead were put down,
but the shock drove many men mad and caused
whole units to disappear in the crucible of battle,
where their bodies added to the horde of zombies.
Eventually the line stabilized two weeks and 250
miles later on the Marne River
Following the Battle of the Frontiers and the
subsequent Great Retreat, the German Army
found itself almost in the eastern outskirts of Paris.
At this point, British Field Marshal French began
to draw up plans for a British evacuation but was
countermanded by Lord Kitchener, now British
Secretary of State for War. Kitchener, driven to
serve the New Dawn periodically by his madness,
needed the war to continue and expand so the
appropriate level of bloodshed could occur and
trigger the Awakening.
With their backs to Paris, the French invoked
a spirit of patriotism and nationalism in a fervor
rarely seen. Invoking those who saved the
Republic in 1794, hundreds of Parisian taxis were
loaded with troops for the 30 mile trip to the front.
The exuberance of the population and the boost to
the troops’ morale gave the movement an almost
religious fervor.
On the night of September 8th the French
Army, bolstered by these newly arrived soldiers,
launched a surprise attack. Their numbers
seemingly endless, wave upon wave of French
troops crashed against the startled troops of the
1st and 2nd Armies. Stories of mobs of Frenchmen
brandishing antique weapons began to spread
through the German formations. Moltke himself,
at the front to observe the troops, suffered a
nervous breakdown when he spotted a shining
figure the French described as Joan of Arc striding
forward against the Boch lines, sword raised in
benediction.
On the eastern flank, three German armies
attacked three French armies. Fighting was
especially intense around the peat bogs and
wetlands of the St. Gond Marshes. The furious
fighting in an area diligently avoided by the
superstitious locals awoke a long-hidden evil in
the battlefield.
By dusk of the first day the bogs began
to give up their dead. Mummified bodies
of executed criminals and sacrificial victims
crawled from the stinking marshes, freed
by the concussion of the artillery barrages
and animated by the hatred and fear flowing
from the large number of soldiers nearby.
These bogmen quickly fell upon any living
person they encountered, causing the superstitious
French Moroccan troops in particular to fall back.
German attacks also began to peter out as this and
other weirdness took hold, and by September 10th
the Kaiser’s troops began to fall back towards the
border.
Under pressure from the government and High
Command, General Joffre ordered a flanking
attack to encircle and destroy the disorganized
German armies. True to his New Dawn masters,
his orders deliberately slowed the pace of the
attack and the Central Powers were able to slip
out of the noose and live to fight another day.
Indeed, the pursuit by the British and French
forces ran into entrenched German troops on the
14th, resulting in bloody frontal attacks and setting
the stage for the massive bloodletting desired by
the shadowy cabal.
A series of flanking attacks toward the north
ended on the coast and completed the line of
trenches that stretched across the continent. This
“Race to the Sea” culminated in the First Battle of
Ypres.
Ypres
From October to November bitter fighting
seesawed back and forth across this strategic
western Belgian town. The intense fighting here
included hand-to-hand combat as well as the
deliberate flooding of an area 20 miles wide by
two miles deep. So many were killed that the
battlefield was overrun by walking dead and
entities called hates which preyed not only on the
soldiers but any civilians they came in contact with.
Other weirdness involved the ancient city
itself. The destruction of the ancient Cloth
Hall opened a nexus of supernatural forces.
One such event was the burning of an ancient
tapestry whose woven sigils bound a spirit
of pestilence that had ravaged the area in the
Middle Ages. The tapestry’s destruction released
this malignant entity and for the rest of the war
the area was noted by the military’s medical
authorities for the high rates of disease among
the troops. Of course, modern doctors attributed
this to the poorly drained soil that composed
the area rather than a supernatural cause.
Interestingly, chaplains on both sides were the
first to notice the increasing weirdness manifesting
on the battlefields around Ypres, leading to the
unofficial Christmas Truce in December 1914.
During this time secret detachments sponsored
by the Twilight Legion on both sides of No
Man’s Land set out to hunt down some of the
supernatural beings haunting the battlefield.
A New Sheriff in Town
Moltke, still suffering from his nervous
breakdown, ordered German forces to retreat
and hinted to Kaiser Wilhelm that the war should
be ended. This was enough for agents of the
New Dawn in the Kaiser’s court to call for his
replacement by General Erich von Falkenhayn
as the new Chief of the General Staff. Falkenhayn
had played a critical role for the New Dawn
during the Boxer Rebellion and was well suited
to carry out its wishes in the planned cataclysm.
With its agent finally in command of all German
forces, all that was required now were millions of
men and the means to kill them in vast quantities,
along with the political will to continue the
slaughter.
War in the East
The Great War kicked off in the east with a
Russian invasion of Galicia in Austria-Hungary
and Germany’s East Prussia, designed to draw
off Central Power strength from the Balkans. The
large, poorly trained and equipped armies of the
Tsar initially enjoyed success against the Austro-
Hungarians, conquering almost all of Galicia by
the end of the year and laying siege to the fortress
town of Przemyśl, which would become the longest
siege in the war. By the time it ended in March
of 1915, over 110,000 Austro-Hungarians died
from disease, starvation, and of course the dark
things which rise in the violence and horror of war.
In East Prussia, however, the Russians faced a
different foe. Russian troops smashed into wellequipped
and trained forces under Ludendorff and
Hindenburg. The Russians were also hampered
by how the generals commanding the two armies
assigned to the attack refused to cooperate. In fact,
General Rennenkampf was a member of the New
Dawn, while his colleague General Samsonov was
not. Rennenkampf did everything in his power
to ensure the Russian troops suffered massive
casualties, even delaying the advance of his army
to leave Samsonov unsupported.
Adding to the Russians’ woes was the weirdness
appearing throughout the battlefield. Gremlins in
the Tsar’s radio equipment meant Russian orders
for the day were often transmitted in the clear
rather than being coded, allowing the Germans
to prepare for the Russians’ attacks before they
occurred.
Ancient history also played a major part in the
conflict. The Battle of Tannenburg was fought not
far from the site of a massive defeat of the Teutonic
Knights in 1410. During the battle in 1914 ghostly
knights attacked the Russian forces, throwing
their ancient foes into disarray. Combined with
the slow movement of Rennenkampf’s First
Army, only 10,000 out of Samsonov’s force of
230,000 escaped. Driven mad by the sight of the
ghostly Teutonic knights who rampaged through
his rear areas and rode down his troops, General
Samsonov committed suicide.
A week later, Rennenkampf’s army was crushed
at the First Battle of the Masurian Lakes. The
battlespace consisted of a wilderness broken up
by 2,000 lakes, which often seemed to swallow up
whole companies of troops who were never seen
again. Superstitious Prussian peasants warned of
water spirits, vengeful witches, and other ghostly
beings, and weird happenings seemed to flourish
in the wartime conditions.
By the end of the year the fighting shifted into
Central Poland and the Carpathian Mountains.
Unlike the Western Front, the armies in the east
did not settle into trench warfare owing to the vast
distances involved.
1915-16: A New
Era in Bloodshed
With the war in the West transitioning from
one of movement to one of static positions, Joffre
insisted ground must be held at all costs. Any
German attacks that pushed back Allied forces
would be immediately counterattacked. This
strategy, under the guise of protecting sacred
French soil, in reality helped push up the body
count, although the weirdness spawned by
the ensuing terror and death contributed to
breakdowns in unit morale.
This time period also saw major offensives
on a scale previously unimagined. Days-long
bombardments followed by mass infantry charges
by hundreds of thousands of men resulted
in little but the brutal deaths of the attackers,
along with the appearance of a variety of weird
apparitions that preyed on the survivors. When
they weren’t involved in the mass assaults, the
troops contended with the horrific conditions
of the trenches. Disease and squalor were the
watchwords of the day, punctuated by sudden,
furious bouts of hand-to-hand combat as each side
raided the other’s trenches in small-unit actions.
With the pieces set on the chessboard, the
technology shepherded along in the 1800s was
now turned to military applications to increase the
bloodshed. In Germany, Dr. Walter Rathenau was
put in charge of the Kaiser’s war effort. He worked
tirelessly to mobilize the economy and supply
the military’s voracious appetite brought about
by war on an industrial scale. The New Dawn
worked through its agents in all the belligerents to
ensure that newly developed technology in a wide
variety of fields—from chemistry to metallurgy to
manufacturing—would be turned to the purpose
of efficient slaughter.
The Noyon Salient
Fearful of a drop off in casualties with the end
of the war of maneuvers, the New Dawn prodded
General Joffre to plan a campaign against the
Noyon salient. Despite an inauspicious start to
the battle in Champagne in mid-February, attacks
continued there for 45 days, with a final French
casualty count of 240,000.
A similar attack was launched around St. Mihiel
in April, despite tales of disaster there from the
previous year. The heavily wooded and broken
terrain disrupted the French attacks, and spectral
Germanic warriors from Roman times, along with
their flesh-and-blood modern cousins, caused
heavy French casualties. Under the aegis of the
Bureau des Phénomènes Mystérieux Non Expliqués,
several specially formed teams attempted to
slip across the front lines to deal with this threat.
While most teams disappeared into No Man’s
Land never to be seen again, some made it deep
enough into the tangled fastness of the forests to
discover and destroy the burial sites of the ancient
Germanic tribes.
The heavy losses by their allies in Champagne
meant the British attacked alone at Neuve
Chapelle. Word of ghostly German barbarians
cutting down French poilu (soldiers) in the tangled
brambles of the Ardennes made Field Marshal
French doubt the steadiness of his allies, and the
decision was made to attack with just the available
British units.
The subsequent assault succeeded, breaking
into the German works and capturing the objective
within hours. Unfortunately, further British gains
were stymied by their own artillery, caused by
poor planning, gremlins, and other weirdness that
kept the British guns firing at the wrong positions
despite calls to lift and shift their fire.
The advance was also slowed by the failure
of reserve forces to exploit the breakthrough.
Although such forces had been positioned,
horrors spawned by the concentrated slaughter
stymied any response to the breakthrough. This
impediment to follow-on forces would be seen
again and again throughout this period of the war.
Second Try at Ypres
The Second Battle of Ypres saw the first use
of chlorine gas in April 1915. It also saw the first
appearance of battlefield entities composed of the
deadly stuff, animated by the agony and suffering
of its victims. Those gaseous, malevolent creatures
civilians who happened to be downwind—but
fortunately chlorine was short-lived once released,
despite the evil wills animating these creatures.
The development of persistent mustard gas and
its release in Ypres in 1917 allowed these entities
to wander the blasted fields for weeks at a time,
and to lay hidden in depressions, waiting for the
unwary to chance upon them.
Shortly before the gas attacks, reports came into
the British HQ from German prisoners of strange
metal canisters deployed on the southern part of
the battlefield, away from the launching point of
the gas attacks in April. Subsequent intelligence
reports described how the Germans moved
their original gas weapons to the north due to
the prevailing winds. In reality, these canisters
contained not gas but horrors found in the deepest
jungles of German East Africa. Each canister
contained a hive of flying parasites whose method
of reproduction in their jungle home consisted
of impregnating humans with their eggs. With
terrifying speed, these “bloodflies” burrowed into
the soft part of their target’s head and lay their
eggs. The lucky victims are killed outright, while
those who survive usually die when the insect’s
offspring burrow to freedom a few days later.
Fortunately for the Tommies manning the line
at Ypres, a trench raid on April 17th captured
some of these canisters, alerting the British to
the threat. A secret mission spoiled the German
plans by releasing the bioweapon on their own
forces. Although all of the raiders were killed,
their sacrifice forced the Kaiser’s troops to use
the chlorine gas they had stockpiled against the
insects to cleanse the battlefield.
With no more bloodfly swarms available, the
remaining chlorine gas was used against the
British trenches. Having lost a large number of
troops to their erstwhile insect allies, the Germans
were unable to exploit the initial success of the
chlorine gas, and the front quickly settled down
with little change to the front lines.
Escalation
The remainder of 1915 saw the war in the West
settle into a series of setpiece battles that would
become the standard for the duration of the war.
New Dawn members secreted amongst
Europe’s ruling classes then turned their baleful
gaze toward the rest of the world. In May, Italy,
swayed by territorial promises of the Allies,
entered the war against Austria along a narrow
battlefront guaranteed to inflict numerous
casualties for a prolonged period.
In Africa, a British invasion force marched from
South Africa to German Southwest Africa, then
turned to German East Africa. The Allies rapidly
captured all German ports along the African
coastline, but spent the remainder of the war
chasing a small German force throughout East
Africa at great cost.
The Ottoman Empire
Egypt
Forces of the Ottoman Empire attacked the Suez
Canal in Egypt with 20,000 troops in February.
A fruitless attack across the canal in the face of
machine guns was quickly repulsed, and the Turks
retreated back into the desert of southern Palestine.
Weirdness arising from the battle kept the British
from pursuing, as well as the knowledge of what
lurked in the Negev Desert brought back from T.E.
Lawrence’s explorations in 1914.
The bedraggled Ottoman force suffered greatly
during their retreat across the desert. Men were
attacked by horrific creatures awoken from their
ancient slumbers by special British units dispatched
ahead of the retreating foe. Unfortunately—as
they found to their chagrin—once unleashed
these creatures also preyed on
British forces.

Gallipoli
The Allies attempted an invasion of Turkey at
the urging of the Russians. This was envisioned
by the strategic planners as a way to relieve
pressure on Russia in the Caucasus and open the
Dardanelles to Allied warships.
Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty,
also had his own reasons for the invasion.
Experiencing war in Cuba, India’s frontier, the
Sudan, and South Africa, Churchill was no
stranger to the weirdness that battle brings. This
exposure led him to delve more deeply into
esoteric research wherever he was stationed.
With German U-boats ravaging Allied
shipping, he latched onto an ancient account
of how Mithridates VI used a shrine in the area
of Gallipoli to sink an invading Roman force.
Churchill was convinced the shrine and its secrets
lay in the waters off the proposed invasion beaches,
and he lobbied hard for the assault as cover for an
archeological expedition.
On April 25 a multinational force stormed a
number of beaches on the Gallipoli peninsula,
but several factors both normal and supernatural
caused the attack to falter and the front soon
degenerated into trench warfare. Disease and
death stalked the exposed positions and for the
next nine months thousands of men were fed into
the meat grinder adding to the tally of deaths on
the road to the New Dawn’s ultimate goal.
Kitchener, originally opposed to this operation
because he feared it would actually succeed and
knock Turkey out of the war, became its biggest
proponent once it became apparent it would go
nowhere. Under his leadership, the British fed
division after division into what was clearly a lost
cause.
While the land battle dragged on
interminably, several transports anchored
off the beaches housed divers who scoured
the sea floor for traces of the ancient Pontic
temple. Hundreds of sorties by allied divers
finally discovered the sunken remains of the
ancient temple, strangely well-preserved below
the waves, and specially designed underwater
cameras documented the many frescoes and
symbols covering the interior.
The discovery of a watertight chest, still intact
after millennia, proved to Churchill the value of
the Gallipoli Campaign despite costing him his
position as the First Sea Lord. Once translated, the
knowledge found would be put to use against the
U-boat menace the following year.
As the conflict ground into its second year
with no sign of victory on the battlefield, New
Dawn agents in the belligerents’ governments
worked hard to keep people enthused for the
war and willing to send their young men to
slaughter. Propaganda on all sides emphasized
the righteousness of their cause and the brutality
of their enemies.
Von Falkenhayn, German Chief of Staff and the
New Dawn’s principal agent, proposed a strategy
of “bleeding France white,” since a traditional
war of maneuver was now out of the question. In
reality, this strategy was designed to rachet up the
death totals.
He also proposed a strategy of unrestricted
submarine warfare. Although he championed
it as a way to cut off England and France from
overseas supplies, this was actually an attempt to
bring the United States into the war. With its huge
manpower reserves, the New Dawn saw America
as a vital component in bringing about their global
change.
Verdun
Von Falkenhayn and the New Dawn chose the
fortress of Verdun as the place where the French
army would be destroyed. On the French side,
Joffre obeyed his secret masters and, ordered the
courtmartial of any commander who surrendered
ground. The stage was set to ensure maximum
carnage in the upcoming battle.
Von Falkenhayn also had an ace up his sleeve.
When Fort Douaumont, the key to the system,
was renovated in 1887, German agents infiltrated
the firm contracted to perform the work. Using
arcane knowledge from around the world, these
architects incorporated non-Euclidean angles,
mystic runes, and cabalistic symbols into the
fort. These “improvements” were designed to
attract the attention of supernatural beings, as
well as subtly drive insane those stationed there
long-term. Having been built on a confluence of
ley lines, these supernatural additions to the fort
resulted in weirdness and strange happenings in
peacetime as well as war.
The 11-month battle around Verdun succeeded
in killing large numbers of troops. A familiar
pattern of trench warfare emerged after the initial
German tactics of precision attacks using scouting
parties, flamethrowers, and grenades. Along
with the carnage came a wide variety of weird
manifestations on the battlefield. That the French
rotated troops rapidly through the area in the
hopes that the shorter time spent on the battlefield
made them less likely to encounter weirdness.
The Germans took the opposite view and
kept their troops in the area longer to minimize
the numbers exposed to the unexplainable and
supernatural. It was at this time that the term “shell
shock” came into being as a way to scientifically
explain the hysteria and psychosis arising
from exposure to the horrors of the weird war.
In December, the New Dawn arranged the
replacement of General Pétain, who had waged
a mostly defensive, casualty-sparing battle from
the fortifications of Verdun. His replacement
was General Robert Nivelle, a New Dawn
adherent from his time in the Boxer Rebellion.
Under Nivelle the French went on the offensive,
increasing the casualty rate on the Allied side
while regaining the ground lost to the Germans at
the outset of the battle.
First Battle of the Somme
While Verdun consumed the French army, Joffre
planned an attack for the British in a quiet sector
of the front in an attempt to draw German forces
from Verdun. British General Haig suggested a
seaborne outflanking attack in Flanders, which
Joffre quickly nixed in favor of the frontal slugfest
he had planned.
Unfortunately for the Tommies who participated
in the attacks on the Somme, the area was
particularly unsuitable to the implements of
modern warfare. To their chagrin, the British
found that a high percentage of their artillery
shells failed to explode or did little damage to the
chalk-hardened ground and the extensive German
dugouts beneath. The battle also saw the debut
of the tank,which were plagued with mechanical
malfunctions that rendered them mostly ineffective.
From July until November the two armies
hammered at each other, piling the corpses like
cordwood across the fields—exactly as the New
Dawn had planned. By the time the battle ended,
tens of thousands had been added to the tally of
the Great War’s appetite for death.
While millions fought and died at the front, a
millennia-old war was being waged in the shadows
by those who saw the real causes of the Great War.
The longest-lived branch of the secret Sons of
Solomon, the Twilight Legion, thought they had
struck a decisive blow against the New Dawn
when they managed to kill Lord Kitchener in June
1916. Agents detonated explosives onboard the
cruiser HMS Hampshire while Kitchener was on
his way to Russia for a New Dawn meeting, killing
him and most of the ship’s crew. Unfortunately,
other highly placed members of the cabal
continued to influence the UK’s participation in
the war.
The removal of Von Falkenhayn from the
General Staff with a new command team consisting
of Von Hindenburg and Von Ludendorff also
struck a blow against the New Dawn. With these
men removed from high-ranking positions in the
British and German military, the Twilight Legion
and others like them began to hope global disaster
could be averted and the weirdness contained, if
not defeated.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Fighters
At the outbreak of hostilities, only a few battletested
leaders knew supernatural horrors rose
in the wake of war. While scattered soldiers and
civilians encoutered particular horrors, only a
handful recognized the pattern.
The sheer size of the Great War and the number
of clearly supernatural creatures it awakened
quickly became more than these scattered agents
could handle. By 1915, the legion decided on a
plan that had worked in ages past. Each nation
would develop a secret organization designed
to fight the increasingly frequent supernatural
occurrences on the battlefield. Their job would
be to suppress, deny, or explain away magic,
monsters, and myth, and eventually, combat their
rivals in the cult of the New Dawn.
France
In France the Bureau des Phénomènes Mystérieux
Non Expliqués (Bureau of Unexplained Mysterious
Phenomenon) was formed from soldiers and civil
servants who had encountered and survived
the supernatural in France’s far-flung colonial
possessions during the many brush wars prior
to the Great War. Within the military itself, the
Army’s Catholic chaplains created an informal
network to gather information on “spiritual
problems” and make use of sympathetic mid-level
commanders to fight them. They worked with
fringe scientists, but steered clear of occultists like
the Golden Dawn, who they viewed as part of the
problem, not the solution.
Great Britian
Great Britain created an informal group
nicknamed “MI–13” to handle “unconventional
intelligence sources,” a polite euphemism for
supernatural matters. Under the direction of
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, MI–13 tried to learn as
much as possible about weird happenings and
counter them with unconventional methods.
Their primary asset was the Golden Dawn
society, more or less drafted into the service of
the Crown.
Austria-Hungary
In Austria there was a great deal of interest in
occult matters among the aristocracy, especially
those whose ancestral estates lie in the haunted
mountains of Transylvania. Consequently,
Austria’s Evidenzbureau intelligence service had
a surprisingly well-organized supernatural
branch known as the Schwarzbureau, based in the
old Hradschen Castle overlooking Prague. The
Schwarzbureau is small, but it has official authority
and archives on weird happenings stretching back
to the Middle Ages.
Germany
The German General Staff resolutely refused to
accept accounts of supernatural occurrences on
the battlefield, despite having employed weird
resources early in the war after seeing the utility
of Russian shocktroops in 1917.
Unfortunately for the common soldier, the
German Command was heavily infiltrated by
the New Dawn. The Kaiser, a firm believer in
the occult, formed a small group of officers
to investigate such occurrences for the
benefit of the Second Reich. The Abteilung
zur Weiterentwicklung Spezieller Waffen und
Truppen (Department of Special Weapons
and Troop Development) roamed the front
lines, investigating strange occurrences and
developing methods to either destroy or exploit
the weirdness for the Kaiser.
The AbtWESpezWA/Tr managed to stay free
of the New Dawn’s influence for most of the
war, devoting itself to suppressing battlefield
weirdness as well as finding and incorporating
the supernatural into the German military as the
war progressed and manpower reserves began
to fail.
Russia
Russia combined a long-standing interest in
occult matters among the nobility with a highly
secretive and paranoid style of government.
The Tsar’s secret police, the Okhrana, routinely
investigated occult groups along with anarchists,
socialists, and anyone else who might be a threat
to the monarchy. The Okhrana’s effectiveness was
stymied, however, by the influence of Grigori
Rasputin, a high-ranking member of the New Dawn.
Rasputin’s own supernatural powers gave him
tremendous influence over the Tsar’s family, and
he protected himself and the New Dawn’s agenda
by making sure the secret police and intelligence
services didn’t look too carefully at occult matters.
Because of this malignant influence in
the Russian court, the Okhrana often
consulted the BPMNE or MI-13
when something weird happened,
although those French and British
agents sent to Russia never knew who
they could trust and who was secretly
reporting to Rasputin.
As the war effort began to unravel,
the Russian High Command, Stavka,
turned to the Okhrana’s files of
the supernatural in an effort to
develop secret weapons to use
against the Central Powers.
Although Rasputin’s death in
December 1916 seemed to
put paid to his evil plans, it
was a doppleganger who
was fished from the frozen
Malaya Nevka River. From
1917 until the end of the
war, Rasputin assumed a
variety of identities both
in and outside the various
governments, always working to
ensure that the bloodshed of the
Eastern Front continued.
United States of America
The United States did
not have an official
governmental agency
to investigate strange
happenings prior
to the war, instead
relying on private
entities such as the
Pinkerton Detective
Agency to act as
troubleshooters when
a need to arose. With the coming of war and on
the advice of the British government, President
Wilson ordered the Justice Department to form the
Alien Enemy Bureau as part of the War Emergency
Division. While officially charged with rooting
out disloyal foreigners, its charter of enforcement
without trial or judicial oversight made them the
perfect organization to deal with Things Man Was
Not Meant to Know.
President Wilson also formed a group known
as the Inquiry. Composed of archaeologists,
anthropologists, historians, and other scholars,
the Inquiry’s ostensible purpose was to advise
Wilson on the cultures and conflicts of Europe
and the Middle East. In reality the group’s
cadre of occult experts had a mandate from the
President to fight the supernatural anywhere in the
world. The Inquiry operated from the American
Geographical Society offices in New York.
The War at Sea
Most high ranking naval officers on
both sides considered the pinnacle
of the war at sea to be a clash of
dreadnaughts but, the true war
on water turned on a much less
glamorous scale. While the
admirals sought and failed to
fight titantic gunnery duels
between fleets, hundreds of
merchant ships plied the murky
waters as U-boats searched for prey
to sink with deck guns or torpedoes.
In 1916 the German Naval Staff
began unrestricted submarine
warfare to bring the United
Kingdom to its knees and out of
the war. It wasn’t until April 30, 1917,
that the British instituted convoys
for merchant ships. Up to that time,
each ship was left to fend for itself
on the vastness of the high seas.
For centuries, ships
had disappeared or been
found adrift, their crews
mysteriously vanished.
Now, with heightened
levels of fear and death
coursing around the
globe, the weirdness
on the waves only
increased. The
Allies were not the
only ones to suffer
from this weirdness. U-boat crews also came faceto-
face with Things Man Was Not Meant to Know
under the waves.
The losses suffered by British merchant shipping
reached such a high level that the Admiralty
became desperate for countermeasures. Winston
Churchill came before the Admiralty with a plan
based on what was found off the bloodstained
beaches of Gallipoli. The knowledge would be
used to summon ancient degenerate races from
deep in the depths, directing them to attack and
destroy any undersea craft in their domains in
return for certain sacrifices. Churchill was sacked
from his position as First Sea Lord and sent to the
Western Front for suggesting such a thing.
Despite their initial horror and disgust,
mounting losses at sea led the Admiralty to
finally implement Churchill’s plan. Several
“weather ships” were stationed in the mid-Atlantic
supposedly to improve meteorological forecasting
as a means to speed ships’ transit time and present
less of a target to the Germans.
In reality, these widely spaced ships acted
as focusing points for the rituals discovered in
the waters of the Dardanelles. Unholy bargains
were struck with the weird denizens of the
deep, turning them into Allied weapons directed
against the German U-boats. These secret allies
turned the tide of war in the Atlantic, although the
implementation of the convoy system and other
technological innovations received credit in the
public eye.
Despite an attempt to broker a peace by
Germany in December 1916. The following year
saw no end to the bloodshed. Only some of the
faces leading the war changed.
Schemes Within Schemes
In France, General Joffre was promoted to
Marshal of France, and was replaced by his New
Dawn fellow General Nivelle. The governments of
both Britain and France changed, and in France a
skeptic of the war became War Minister. Agents
of the Twilight Legion had subtly warned various
power brokers in the French government of
Nivelle’s unsoundness as a commander, and they
found a willing ear in War Minister Painleve.
Painleve’s mathematical studies led him
to ancient texts dealing with non-Euclidean
geometry and other esoteric subjects, exposing
him to the supernatural and making him open to
the Twilight Legion’s warnings of the existence of
a shadowy organization attempting to bring about
a supernatural apocalypse. His investigation of
Nivelle’s plan for the 1917 offensive showed grave
concerns among the army group commanders,
who feared another massive bloodletting was in
the works. Despite these warnings, approval was
finally given to the planned assaults.
With authorization of the Allies’ plans for their
annual offensive on the Western Front, agents of
the New Dawn ensured that a copy fell into the
hands of the Germans.
On Germany’s side of No Man’s Land, their
troops were dealing with multiple incidents of
weirdness spawned by the massive bloodshed,
fear, and suffering concentrated in such a narrow
area. Under the guise of shortening the lines
and tidying up the battlefield, von Ludendorff
authorized a pullback of the bulk of the German
Army to a line of prepared fortification known as
the Hindenburg Line. This allowed the troops a
respite from the thousands of corpses, rats, and
other unmentionable horrors they faced in their
old earthworks.
Arras and Vimy Ridge
The town of Arras was founded in ancient times
near a confluence of sacred Celtic groves. Rome’s
conquest of the area resulted in the destruction of
many of the druids’ sites. Despite this slaughter
and destruction, or perhaps because of it, Rome
stationed a large garrison in the area to suppress
the many supernatural events that plagued the
region.
Two thousand years later another war shook
the area. Allied planners scheduled an attack near
Arras to distract German forces from the main
thrust in the Aisne area. The extensive medieval
tunnels beneath the city were enlarged and
expanded to provide the British and Canadian
troops gathering for the coming assault with
secure concentration areas. Despite the addition
of modern lighting and ventilation to the tunnels,
many troops whispered that something was
underground with them.
Unbeknownst to the Allied officers, a large nest
of trench ghouls resided in the hidden ways of
the ancient subterranean galleries. The countless
unburied corpses on the nearby battlefield allowed
the ghoul pack to grow large in both girth and
numbers, and they were only too happy to sample
the feast quartered on their doorstep. When the
battle finally kicked off on April 9th the soldiers
were only too happy to quit the underground
spaces for the open sky of the battlefield and its
known dangers.
Another factor shaping the battle was the
lingering supernatural forces the druids had
identified and sought to suppress in the area
millennia ago. The dark energies released by
the heaviest bombardment of the war brought
many supernatural entities onto the battlefield.
Fortunately for the Commonwealth troops on
the first day, these struck the German lines first,
allowing the Allies to seize Vimy Ridge and break
into the Germans’ final defensive line by the end
of the first day.
The arrival of bad weather, German
reinforcements, and weird happenings doomed
the offensive, though British troops continued
to make fruitless attacks even after the French
offensive the battle was meant to support had
sputtered to a halt.
Second Battle of the Aisne
For General Nivelle, the attack on the Aisne was
designed to further the New Dawn’s plans before
war-weariness overtook the combatants, as had
happened so many times in the cabal’s long history.
French troops were extensively trained and
indoctrinated in the spirit of the attack. Huge
stockpiles of ammunition were emplaced for the
artillery. Behind the scenes, ancient rituals were
enacted to heighten the soldiers’ bravery and
bloodlust, especially among the colonial troops.
When the battle began on April 16, the troops’ élan
was the highest since the start of the war thanks to a
special wine ration distributed to the assault troops
hours before the attack. The wine was infused with
mystical ingredients once given to Norse berserkers.
What the French failed to realize, however,
was the extent of the maelstrom they would
be entering. The Germans occupied steep and
heavily wooded ridges honeycombed with caves
and mines from centuries of quarrying. They
implemented an elastic defense designed to bow
and absorb the attack while minimizing French
preparatory bombardments. Finally, through their
New Dawn contact across the lines, the German
commanders had the entire plan of the offensive.
The attack kicked off in a sudden snowstorm
some said was the product of a weird science
device. The assault overran the German front lines
within two hours, but the terrain, machine guns,
and expiration of the French rituals and elixirs all
caused the offensive to collapse by the end of the
day. Even so General Nivelle continued to throw
troops into the fire until May 7.
Starting on April 21st, mutinies occurred
throughout the French divisions. Word spread of
the unnatural encouragements given to the troops
at the start of the battle. Eventually more than 50
divisions refused to carry on with the war.
Despite their best efforts to silence such
rumors, the New Dawn suffered a serious
setback when Nivelle was replaced by General
Pétain, a defensive-minded general who had no
affiliation with the shadowy organization. The
Twilight Legion was instrumental in spreading
such rumors, having come to the conclusion that
some international cabal was behind the efforts to
promote a war being fought not for gains of any
kind but instead just to inflict death on a massive
scale.
America Joins In
Both the New Dawn and the Twilight Legion
had been working toward bringing the United
States into the conflict, although for different
purposes. The New Dawn saw US entry as a way
to get more bodies into the meatgrinder by the
summer of 1918. The legion was determined to
end the war and its associated weirdness, and
saw the vast manpower reserves and industrial
might of America as the best chance to do so. The
legion also began to suspect an ulterior motive lay
behind the whole conflict.
Through the war the New Dawn subverted
several U-boat commanders, who carried out
unauthorized attacks on civilian shipping.
The cabalists felt these attacks would inflame
American passions and bring the country into the
war. Unfortunately for them, cooler heads in the
US government administration prevailed, and
America remained aloof. By late 1916, however,
New Dawn members within the German
government convinced the Kaiser to implement
unrestricted warfare on the high seas, which
began in January 1917.
Also in January, Twilight Legionnaires released
a telegraph from the German Foreign Minister
purporting to offer Mexico territories lost in the
19th century in exchange for war against America.
A lost briefcase at a peace conference sponsored
by Henry Ford containing papers damning to the
German cause also helped whip up war fervor.
Under pressure from certain members of his
administration and Congress, President Wilson
used all of these reasons to ask for a declaration of
war against Germany, which was granted in April.
Within months, thousands of American men were
pouring into training camps to swell the country’s
small army to epic proportions. In June the first
troops began to arrive in Europe.
The Eastern Front:
1915-1917
The war in the East looked promising to both
sides as they entered 1915. For Germany, the
belief that the Russians would continue their
unimaginative tactics with their vast armies of
poorly trained and equipped troops promised
the self-destruction of the Tsar’s forces. For the
Russians, national pride and the defeats inflicted
on the Austro-Hungarians, who had been pushed
back into the passes of the Carpathian Mountains,
gave hope of some success in the coming year. Of
course, these feelings of optimism were carefully
cultivated by New Dawn agents on both sides of
the front.
Intelligence agencies in both Russia and
Germany took note of the increasing incidents
of weirdness occurring on the battlefields of the
East in 1914. Russian troops, in particular, suffere
more and more of them as they forced their
way through the passes of the shadow-haunted
Carpathians on their way to Vienna. Finding
modern weapons ineffective against many of these
entities, some Russian leaders used the excuse of
weapon shortages to suggest arming their troops
with long-handled axes, which had proven
more effective in these situations. The Okhrana,
encouraged by the machinations of Rasputin,
sent many agents to the Carpathians to bolster
the army’s defenses against supernatural threats.
Keeping the agents busy elsewhere allowed the
mad monk a freer hand with the Imperial family
in Petrograd.
Beleaguered by poor logistics, a determined
but failed Austro-Hungarian defense, and weird
encounters in the snowy mountain heights, the
Russian army was unable to break through into
the Hungarian plain. By March they had settled
into a stalemate in which horrors from local
legends stalked the troops of both sides. These
creatures in turn were hunted by the Okhrana and
Schwarzbureau.
A German offensive in February near Masurian
Lakes began in the worst winter weather of the
war. As in the previous year, the trackless forests
swallowed up whole formations. German troops
reported advancing through blinding blizzards
only to find abandoned Russian equipment, guns,
and transport. Official reports deleted the copious
amounts of blood staining the otherwise pristine
snowfields around these sites. By March German
forces were within Russia, with the Tsar’s forces
suffering over 50,000 killed and missing and
150,000 captured.
Gorlice-Tarnow
The Central Powers needed to keep Italy and
Romania out of the war, and felt that the best way
to accomplish this was with another major victory
over the Russians. Occultists labeled “military
advisors” and “technical specialists” brought from
Berlin provided arcane means to blind Russian
outposts, leading to complete surprise when the
German offensive began on May 2nd. A unit of
creatures of the night rounded up from remote
sites in Hungary’s Transylvania province and
set loose across No Man’s Land provided an
irresistible shock force.
Within days a hole more than 10 miles wide
had been ripped in the lines, and several Russian
divisions broke and fled. Those that fought
suffered massive casualties both from natural and
supernatural weapons. The front pushed farther
and farther eastward, and even the entry of Italy
into the war had no slowing effect on German
successes. By the end of June, 15 divisions were
destroyed and 20 more reduced to skeletons. As
the Russian armies streamed back into Russia they
were preceded by millions of refugees, prompted
to abandon their homes by horrific stories of the
supernatural occurrences on the battlefield told by
deserters and stragglers.
In an attempt to stop the retreat and keep the
slaughter going, Rasputin influenced the Tsar
to issue draconian punishments for units that
broke and fled. By August Tsar Nicholas assumed
command of the Russian forces. Despite these
measures, the retreats continued throughout the
autumn until the October weather made strategic
movement impossible and the front settled down.
1916: The Brusilov Offensive
Despite its massive losses the previous year,
Russia launched a major offensive in June.
Rasputin convinced the Tsar that the Central
Powers could not mount any further supernatural
weapons, and such was his influence that the Tsar
approved plans for a major offensive.
As the Russian forces moved to the attack on
March 17th, the ground turned into a quagmire,
trapping the soldiers and dramatically slowing
their advance. Despite the transfer of several
divisions to the west, Falkenhayn kept his
technical specialists in the east. They proved their
worth in blunting the Russian attack with spells
and arcane rituals.
Rasputin and other New Dawn agents in
the Tsar’s court pressed to continue the attack,
regardless of the early defeats. Russian General
Brusilov planned a major offensive for June,
incorporating new tactics including the use of
“spiritual advisors” sent to him from Rasputin.
Originally billed as a means to counter the strange
events seen during the Central Powers’ attacks, these
advisors soon demonstrated a capacity for much
more offensively-related supernatural abilities.
Brusilov’s multi-pronged attack yielded a major
victory, inflicting losses over 700,000 to the Central
Powers while sustaining 550,000. Brusilov’s
unauthorized use of supernatural methods to
mask his attack and aid his offensive drove a
wedge between the Russian command, however,
and promised support failed to materialize in time
to inflict a decisive defeat against the Germans. In
addition, rumors reached Petrograd of the use of
the supernatural, souring the victory and causing
political unrest when the use of such methods was
linked to the Tsar.
1917: Revolution and Collapse
Food shortages, harsh winter weather, and
continued military failures all combined to feed
a growing discontent among the Russian people.
Despite the best efforts of the Okhrana, more
and more rumors circulated of the supernatural
weirdness occurring on the front lines. These
stories, coupled with the malevolent presence of
Rasputin at court, caused a general dissatisfaction
with the monarchy, and combined with the other
factors to fan the flames of revolution.
In December, Rasputin was murdered by a
group of conspirators urged on by the Twilight
Legion. In March the Tsar was forced to abdicate,,
and a Provisional Government took over
responsibility for prosecuting the war.
A last-gasp offensive launched in June utilized
shock battalions to lead the way for the regular
forces. These battalions were specially trained and
brought to the front, where they were segregated
from the average trooper. This was ostensibly
done to keep the shock troops away from the
mutinous regular army, but the reality was
much darker. The shock battalions consisted of
supernatural forces cobbled together from across
the Russian empire’s lands. Their presence had
to be kept quiet from the average soldier, and by
extension the general population.
When these shock battalions attacked in mid-
June, their supernatural nature proved irresistible
and they made good gains. Unfortunately, they
could only be controlled to a limited extent.
Within two days the regular troops following in
their wake refused to continue the advance as
they came across increasingly horrific signs left
by the lead soldiers. By mid-July the offensive
had ended, and by August the Russian forces
began to disintegrate. German counterattacks hit
mostly empty positions, and the Bolsheviks began
disengaging from the war in November.
The Western Front: 1918
1918: German Spring Offensive
With the removal of Russia from the war in
March 1918, the German High Command added
more than 30 divisions to their order of battle in
the West. This and the sinking morale of the British
and French troops and the increasing numbers of
Americans arriving each week in France made the
Germans anxious for a way to deal a knockout
blow to the Allies.
The New Dawn had their own reasons for a
major offensive in the West. With the fighting
all but over in the East and Austro-Hungary
suffering a catastrophic defeat that threatened to
end fighting on that front, the occultists feared the
death toll would drop below that required for the
Great Awakening.
Ancient manuscripts spoke of a celestial
concordance that would facilitate the ceremony.
A breakthrough in deciphering these scrolls finally
determined this propitious time to be the middle
of 1918, in which an eagle would play a major
part. The cabal, which once thought this to be the
Imperial German Eagle, now thought this might
refer to the eagle of the United States. All these
signs pointed to a need for massive bloodshed
in 1918, culminating sometime in the summer.
Unseen Attackers
Desperate to push the death toll to
unprecedented heights, New Dawn agents in the
United States released a potent virus into Kansas
in January 1918. By March it was burning through
Army encampments at Fort Riley, and reached
New York City two weeks later. The Spanish
flu, as it came to be known, spread rapidly and
quickly became a global pandemic. It killed
unknown millions in the first six months after
its release, rapidly surpassing the Black Death of
centuries before.
A New Way of War
The German High Command met to design a
major, war-winning offensive in November 1917.
The major goal was development of a method to
break the strategic stalemate of trench warfare.
Under the influence of the New Dawn, the Kaiser’s
forces eschewed the large-scale development
of armored vehicles, as the cabalists feared this
would end the war prematurely. So they ruled out
the use of massed tank attacks.
Having seen the success of tactics involving
otherworldly forces during the final battles in
Russia in 1917, and with captured examples of
these Russian shock troops, certain departments
in the German Army promoted a new way to
break the stalemate in the West. Highly motivated
regular troops trained in special stormtrooper
tactics woudl be preceded by supernatural forces
designed to disrupt and demoralize the Allies. The
British and French lines would fracture, splitting
the armies and forcing a peace on the belligerents.
Revolutionary weapon designs promoted by
New Dawn members began to reach the front line.
Light machine guns, improved flamethrowers,
and machine pistols gave these troops ways to
deal out more death. Specially chosen single or
childless men were recruited into these special
battalions, segregated from the regular forces, and
given special indoctrination, including food laced
with mind-altering chemicals. To lessen the chance
of friendly fire incidents, the troops observed
and trained with the supernatural shock forces
assembled for the battle beforehand, acclimating
their minds to the sanity-blasting presence of the
weirder specimens.
Of course, not all those exposed to things
beyond description were able to escape with
their minds intact. Most were listed as perishing
in “training accidents,” but some managed to
escape and make it as far as Berlin. The wild tales
they spread of the horrors being incorporated
into the army fed an undercurrent of unrest
back home. Even the capture of these men—
and their subsequent execution for desertion or
incarceration in an asylum did little to quiet the
stories they spread.
Kaiserschlacht
On March 21st the German army opened
its final great offensive of the war. A heavy gas
barrage blanketed the British positions, followed
up by howling units of unnatural creatures
making up the “special” shocktrooper units. A
heavy fog summoned by occultists along the line
of the first three days, and regular stormtrooper
units ruptured the lines, breaking out into open
warfare after years of slugging it out in the
trenches. Suddenly it seemed Paris was in reach.
The best laid plans of any force, however, can
never take into account the vagaries of the weird
war. Despite the presence of specially assembled
units to deal with such occurrences, the assault
began to falter as hates, gas clouds, ‘gloms,
and other creatures began to manifest on the
battlefield. The special shocktroopers—mostly
vampires, werewolves, and walking dead—often
turned on friendly forces once they had cleared
an area of Allied troops, further weakening the
German advance.
By April 4th, as the British lines crumbled
under the impact of these new tactics, General
Haig pleaded with General Foch to release
French reinforcements to the threatened sectors.
The French commander, under guidance from
experts at the Bureau des Phénomènes Mystérieux
Non Expliqués (Bureau of Unexplained Mysterious
Phenomena), declined. Having begun to get
specific intelligence as to the New Dawn’s
ultimate goal, the BPMNE briefed Foch on the
need to reduce the casualty count to stymie some
sort of event planned for the summer.
While the five main campaigns of the German
Spring Offensive achieved some tactical
successes, in the main they only served to wipe
out the specially trained stormtrooper units
and deplete Germany’s manpower. They also
exposed more and more soldiers and officers to
the weirdness both native to the battlefield as
well as that harnessed for use by their armies.
This led to greater discontent among the rank and
file and widespread instances of pillaging and
looting occurred as the pervasive supernatural
occurrences affected more troops.
The Yanks Are Coming
Throughout early 1918 a flood of American
units poured into Europe, with a million on
the continent by the summer of 1918. Prior to
deployment both the Inquiry and the Alien Enemy
Bureau briefed General John Pershing on strange
happenings on the Western Front. Pershing, who
had experienced a variety of weirdness during the
Mexican Expedition of 1916, took this information
to heart and began worked to reduce the impact
on American forces
Arriving in France, American units were
segregated from their British and French allies.
Ostensibly this was because the American public
expected their troops to fight under American
leaders. In reality it was an attempt to insulate
the doughboys from the wild rumors of the
supernatural prevalent among the Allies.
Several black regiments were transferred to the
French army in the spring of 1918 as a means to
assess the paranormal nature of the war. While
these troops were considered little more than
guinea pigs who were more expendable than their
white comrades in arms, units like the Harlem
Hellfighters and others fought with distinction
with the French army. The lessons they learned
facing the weirdness permeating the front at the
Second Battle of the Marne allowed the US army
to develop new tactics and techniques. Army brass
felt sure these tactics would see use against the
supernatural when the bulk of their divisions
went back on the attack.
The Allies Strike Back
As the German Spring Offensives played
themselves out, the American Army finally swung
into action. Through the end of May and into June
US soldiers and Marines fought in a variety of
actions. The size of the divisions, more than three
times larger than their Allied or Central Power
counterparts, provided the offensive power to
smash the German forces. Despite encountering
their first taste of the unnatural during the attack
to seize Cantigny, the intelligence provided by the
Harlem Hellfighters and the Inquiry allowed the
doughboys to accomplish their goals.
The Third Division moved to defend Château
Thierry from a German assault on May 31, holding
the Marne River crossings as the French retreated
from the gray tide. Strange creatures emerged
from the river as night fell, and savage hand-toclaw
fighting raged up and down the riverbank
until the sun rose the next day.
At Belleau Wood, the Marine Brigade attacked
even though retreating French pleaded for the
newcomers to fall back with them. Despite
reconnaissance reports that no enemies were
present, a regiment of dug-in Germans troops
inflicted heavy casualties when the Marines
advanced. Heavy morning mist concealed the
heavy use of mustard gas as the US troops fought
their way into the shattered forest through a
maelstrom of close combat.
It was here that the US Marines earned the
nickname “Devil Dogs.” General Pershing quickly
spread the story that the Germans bestowed the
nickname due to the ferocious fighting ability of
the Marines, but in truth a more sinister reason
lurked within the fog-shrouded woods. Whatever
the cause, both sides ceded the cursed spot of land
to the weirdness of the war.
The Stars Are Right
With casualties from the Spring Offensive and
the Allied counterattacks totaling over one million,
the New Dawn determined the time was right to
enact the Great Awakening. Messages went out
to the organization’s members directing them
to assemble at a location known as Le Tombeau
du Géant (Giant’s Tomb), a sparsely populated,
rugged site in the Ardennes along the Semois
River. The date of this assembly was to be the end
of May.
Fortunately for the world, the Twilight Legion
had aggressively tracked the movements and
communications of known or suspected New
Dawn members for the last 12 months. BPMNE
agents intercepted messages in late May detailing
travel plans for several top governmental officials
into occupied territory. Under questioning, one
such person broke from his story of secret peace
talks and confessed to a ritualistic ceremony of
unimaginable consequences about to be enacted.
German deserters in late May told Allied
interrogators of strange preparations being carried
out behind the lines. One British intelligence
officer happened to be a professor of antiquities
prior to the war and recognized the area as an
ancient Neolithic site similar to Stonehenge. He
quickly alerted his contacts in the Twilight Legion,
who made inquiries via MI-13 with their contacts
in Germany and Austro-Hungary.
Other agents also discovered unusual deliveries
of materials being diverted to a remote site in
the Ardennes. This information was sent back to
France and England, and pointed to something of
major arcane significance happening in the near
future that must be stopped.
An attack by the American First Division was
arranged at Cantigny at a time when the defending
German forces were in the middle of a relief in
place. During the confusion of the assault a small
band of BPMNE and MI-13 agents, codenamed
GROUP ULYSSES, slipped through the lines.
Linking up with a team of AbtWESpezWA/Tr
agents in the vicinity of Sedan, they made their
way into the forbidding Ardennes.
A Star Is Born
By June 1st a coven of top tier New Dawn
operatives from around the world assembled at
Le Tombeau du Géant. Using heretical and damned
manuscripts gathered at forbidden sites across
the world, they began the week-long ritual
required to bring the War to End All Wars to
fruition. Harnessing the power flowing through
a confluence of ley lines at this ancient site and
tapping into the massive death and destruction
unleashed in the prior four years, the occultists
and their minions were rewarded on the night of
June 8th by a bright light in the sky, as a massive
gate to elsewhere yawned open.
Fortunately for the world, agents of the Twilight
Legion were also present. Exactly what happened
that dark night has not yet been revealed, but
astronomers around the world said the new nova
in the constellation Aquila was the brightest ever
recorded—though it lasted only two short weeks.
End Times
After the incident at Giant’s Tomb, the New
Dawn effectively vanished.
Perhaps some or all of them obtained the power
they craved, or perhaps they were defeated. Either
way, with the head cut from the serpent the cabal’s
influence waned. Individual members survived here
and there, but governments now had no shadowy
agents of significance urging war for war’s sake.
A series of offensives launched by the Allies in
July and August using massed tank forces, aircraft,
and the untried American divisions smashed the
German lines at the Marne and Amiens on August
14th. Ludendorff, sensing the war was over,
attempted to tender his resignation. It was refused.
The Anglo-French-American steamroller
continued on despite the mind-blasting encounters
troops experienced crossing the old Somme
battlefield. They found a maze of rusting barbed
wire, shell holes, and collapsed trenches filled with
the bleached bones of the restless dead who had
fought there years prior.
The Allied attacks continued through August
and into the autumn. By September the Germans
retreated to their last line of defense, the
Hindenburg Line. Despite the faith placed in this
series of fortifications, it was broken in several
places as a sense of defeatism spread throughout
the Kaiser’s troops. With the homefront increasingly
wracked by riot and discontent, the Kaiser sued
for peace, which took effect on November 11th.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
That's the exact text of the book. My version will be different, of course, but it's still interesting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
While discussing calibers, one coincidence that I find peculiar is that both the Soviets and the Brits independently came up with a high velocity 57mm anti-tank gun at roughly the same time, ZiS-2 and Ordnance QF 6-pounder. It seems like the British gun was based on an earlier navy gun but the Soviet gun's caliber was a completely new one?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Make them astro-hungarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You, uh.... you sure you posted enough words there?