Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

soy posted:

Got a vive but returned it after about a week. This VR poo poo has a long way to go. Will try again next generation of gear.

Out of curiosity, what did you try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Mostly because too many of the songs I wanted to try in Soundboxing had no user created beats and a lot of the user created beats I tried were kind of jumbled messes. There were a couple I tried that were great though, when Soundboxing hits and someone really created a great level, it's really good, but it's too hit or miss for me.

I wonder if it'd be worth trying to convert over the data files from other rhythm games like DDR/Stepmania or Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Frets on Fire. Those games have huge libraries of both official and community-created tracks with decently synced beats.

Related side thought, I wonder if I could attach the Vive wands to my legs in a strong enough way to use them for foot tracking in an actual VR Stepmania implementation...

edit: Apparently Soundboxing is ahead of me on this one and they've indicated they intend to support Stepmania files.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 31, 2016

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Been playing with my Rift. Mostly sticking to Steam VR. Here is a cool trick I found to launch SteamVR from the Rift library. Super helpful since SteamVR occasionally freaks out for me and I have to kill it via the rift menus and relaunch it.

quote:

For this I recommend you use something that is not likely to be updated. Consider using DISCOVR WA.

Create a .bat in notepad with the following text: start steam://rungameid/250820

Use bat2exe [http://www.bat2exe.net/] to convert that to an .exe file.

Change the DISCOVR_WA.exe located at: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Software\parks-and-wildlife-discovr-wa-rift\DISCOVR_WA_v1.1.1 (YMMV) to DISCOVR_WA-OLD.exe and then name the new .exe DISCOVR_WA.exe

Note: If the app you are using is updated, it may wipe your .exe file. That is why I have chosen DISCOVR WA.

Optional: Change the icon image to show as SteamVR. These are found in the Store Assets Folder. For example [C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Software\StoreAssets\parks-and-wildlife-discovr-wa-rift_assets]. Save this file: http://i.imgur.com/LB2XC6h.jpg and replace cover_square_image.jpg with it for your app.

Here's my edited versions if you want to just plop them in the spots mentioned above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pg4bDnliaDNFJRT0lMd3hLX2M/view?usp=sharing

So far my favorite Touch games have been:
Super Hot VR
I Expect You To Die
Arizona Sunshine
Audioshield
VR The Diner Duo (Also has fun a local two player mode where player two uses a controller/monitor screen to be the waiter)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

soy posted:

Got a vive but returned it after about a week. This VR poo poo has a long way to go. Will try again next generation of gear.

Care to elaborate?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ceive posted:

Been playing with my Rift. Mostly sticking to Steam VR. Here is a cool trick I found to launch SteamVR from the Rift library. Super helpful since SteamVR occasionally freaks out for me and I have to kill it via the rift menus and relaunch it.

Here's my edited versions if you want to just plop them in the spots mentioned above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pg4bDnliaDNFJRT0lMd3hLX2M/view?usp=sharing

Super Hot VR
I Expect You To Die
Arizona Sunshine
Audioshield
VR The Diner Duo (Also has fun a local two player mode where player two uses a controller/monitor screen to be the waiter)

Thanks! I've been wishing for an easier way to do this. I've been relaunching via Virtual Desktop when necessary.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Waiting for next gen is reasonable, early adoption is just cosmic punishment for impatience. I also feel bad for the people who get into it thinking the Vive and all it's jank is the only option based on internet sentiment.

I think the big missing feature in VR (Vive most of all) is convenience. Lemming talked about this too, the process of going in and out of VR is way too annoying, and also drove me away from vive use. You want to use the desktop or acess your phone, or say hello to someone on a whim, a commitment to singular attention is just not reasonable to ask of someone just to use the platform.

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Fooz posted:

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

I basically already do this with my PSVR, almost. PS the button to push the screen forward, lift the headset up a bit, and I'm good to drink something or check my phone, and it takes just a couple of seconds. Flipping all the way up would be even better, though, once they get the screens small enough.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I can imagine that's better, I'm hesitant to rest the rift or vive on my forehead even because I don't want the lenses touching my skin or hair.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I wonder if it would be viable to find a comfortable helmet, and mount the HMD on it on a hinge. You would probably have to remove the hood from it to get it close enough, but ti wouldn't need to be pressed up to your face anymore, so it would be possibly be a lot more comfortable.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Welding mask-style HMD sounds pretty rad, honestly.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My order of extension cables came in with mixed results, and now I'm questioning my planned setup. The 10' HDMI and USB cable work fine with the headset but the same 10' USB and the 15' "active" USB cables both gave me "Poor Tracking Quality" errors.

Originally I was going to use those long extensions and set up a nice wide play area facing the TV, but now I'm thinking of just setting things up in front of the desktop. I can get a free area of about 5'6" wide and 8' deep. This is a much easier setup and doesn't require any long extensions but I don't know if it's big enough for 360 degree play with a third sensor.

My third sensor won't get here til sometime in January so I've got time but I want to have everything set up and mounted once it arrives.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Fooz posted:

I can imagine that's better, I'm hesitant to rest the rift or vive on my forehead even because I don't want the lenses touching my skin or hair.

That's one of the reasons I wear a lycra balaclava when I use my Vive. Also keeps all the sweat in.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Any opinions on the Samsung Gear VR? It seems like a cheap entry path to VR, but if the experience and games suck, well ... I tried the demo out at the mall, and it was basically just a 3d video... kind of cool, but not really in the same league was Vive or Occulus.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

yegods posted:

Any opinions on the Samsung Gear VR? It seems like a cheap entry path to VR, but if the experience and games suck, well ... I tried the demo out at the mall, and it was basically just a 3d video... kind of cool, but not really in the same league was Vive or Occulus.

There's enough neat stuff on it that it's worth the price if you already have a compatible phone, but I can't recommend it otherwise. The lack of positional tracking and dearth of content hit it badly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

yegods posted:

It's definitely worth the 100 bucks if you have a compatible phone, but don't get a phone just for it. Watching movies and stuff on planes is worth the price alone, and there's some fun stuff to mess around with it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Superhot is very good.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Theres at least a couple pretty good GearVR games.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Thanks, I have a Note 5, so I'll probably give it a try.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are there any games yet that simulate flying by flapping your arms with the motion controllers? I was hoping Eagle Flight would work like that but it just uses a gamepad.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Trip report: Vanishing Realms is a VR game made before people knew how to make VR games. They got many "basic" things wrong. For example, you pick up things with a trigger but then squeeze the side button and release the side to throw. Very awkward. You can interact with some things but others are simply scenery and there's no indication which is which. You can smash SOME boxes/coffins but not others, [i]SOME bottles but not others. It's in a cartoonish style, which is fine, but combat is like GORN without the silliness, monster reactions are just scripted flinches which don't quite line up with your strikes.

Gameplay is absurdly linear and uninteresting. A lot of "find the key to the door in the hallway behind/under something in this room" and "Light brazier to open door". There's an inventory system that is a bit awkward to use.

It was $13 so I'm not that put out, but there are a lot better experiences so I'd avoid unless you're dying to try absolutely everything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bhodi posted:

Trip report: Vanishing Realms is a VR game made before people knew how to make VR games.

People know how to make VR games now?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

VR might be pretty first gen and not very deep right now as far as game quality but the delight on the faces of people new to the tech trying out Job Simulator never gets old.

At a buddy's house for New Year's, took it as an excuse to bring the kit over. :3:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Chapter 1 Vanishing Realms is a good classic dungeon crawler, in VR. Definitely worth the price.

Chapter 2 is poo poo, but 1 is very good, so :shrug:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So if you want to get into VR mainly to watch media, what's your best bet right these days? Google Daydream? I know that it has a special YouTube app, on top of Netflix and HBO and all of that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have a samsung phone, Gear VR. If you have a pixel, Daydream. If you have something else, you're probably better of not bothering. The oculus store for Gear VR has a youtube app I'm pretty sure. Don't know why they didn't put that on the rift store, but whatever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ceive posted:

Super Hot VR
I Expect You To Die
Arizona Sunshine
Audioshield
Thanks for this, quoting so I can find it easily in case I need to do oculus -> steamvr again.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Republicans posted:

Are there any games yet that simulate flying by flapping your arms with the motion controllers? I was hoping Eagle Flight would work like that but it just uses a gamepad.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/367430/ is as close as I've found.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 1, 2017

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Vorpx got a good update yesterday:

http://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-17-1-0-available-now/

New:

- tracked controllers in game, default bindings for the ones i've tried so far have been very good
- "direct mode" - seems to scan memory & configure a bunch of stuff auto-magically (fov & rendering settings being the big one). also higher fidelity? seems to hook up position tracking, haven't had time to mess with it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Brought the Rift to let the family try it and goddamn is it a pain to set up. Difficult to get a decent space where everyone isn't crowding it the whole time, difficult to find places to set the sensors up, and I always seem to have to try to run the set up a few times before it takes with no glaring issues. This usually doesn't bother me at home, but when everyone's waiting around for it to get set up every step seems to take forever.

Interesting - it was slightly frustrating but mostly hilarious trying to teach my mom how to do the most basic things. On the other hand, my 9 year old nephew who was raised on video games just kind of understood everything immediately and was off and running with almost no instructions. I forget that there's a kind of "language" of gaming and controllers that not everyone knows.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Back home from the holidays, hooked up third camera which I've plonked on top of a big bookshelf on the back-right edge of my space. Definitely not a perfect position but it immediately gave me good tracking when I was facing away from the two front cameras. Now just need to get a couple of contractor poles or something to mount those two up high as well..

Also tried Vanishing Realms as we've no internet right now. Really awesome. The music and environments are cool, and the fighting worked a lot better than I'd expected - though it was most fun when you just have the sword at the beginning and have to make proper blocking moves. I agree with the criticisms of the inventory, interface and controls though.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
SuperHot gets a little easier once you realise you can block bullets with your weapons, only took me about 15 levels to figure that out :downs:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I threw a New Year's Eve party last night that had karaoke and two VR rooms, one with a Vive and one with a Rift and Touch. We played a bunch of co-op Arizona Sunshine doing LAN play with one copy and that was really awesome. Then I put some people through Unseen Diplomacy and that blew their minds. Then I loaded up Gorn and literally the first person to play destroyed my controller within 30 seconds.

I was lucky enough to capture this amazing video of it being destroyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEqsA_jilc

Thankfully I think it's salvageable, it appears to have just disconnected two ZIF connectors and broken a little plastic.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Demoing VR is like 50% great fun and 50% silent "please don't be an idiot with my expensive stuff..." thoughts.

The great thing about superhot is you can beat a level, but you can always go back do it more badassly.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Fooz posted:

Demoing VR is like 50% great fun and 50% silent "please don't be an idiot with my expensive stuff..." thoughts.

The biggest headache doing it at a party is convincing drunk people that they can't congregate in the large empty space behind the person in VR. I'm surprised the controller's destruction didn't involve someone walking into the play area and getting punched in the head.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Bagpuss_UK posted:

SuperHot gets a little easier once you realise you can block bullets with your weapons, only took me about 15 levels to figure that out :downs:

You can use your hands too in a pinch, although there's a cooldown on doing it again.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

FormatAmerica posted:

Vorpx got a good update yesterday:

http://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/vorpx-17-1-0-available-now/

New:

- tracked controllers in game, default bindings for the ones i've tried so far have been very good
- "direct mode" - seems to scan memory & configure a bunch of stuff auto-magically (fov & rendering settings being the big one). also higher fidelity? seems to hook up position tracking, haven't had time to mess with it.

quote:

This list contains the most important games that vorpX allows you to play on your Oculus Rift in Stereo 3D.
Mirrors Edge
:barf:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Superhot VR is on sale for 20 bucks on Oculus.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GORN is the poo poo

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

It's good, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

AndrewP posted:

GORN is the poo poo

Just played it for the first time and agreed 100%. Killer app in the traditional sense but also in the sense that it is an app for serial killers to vent their urges on instead of on society.