Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Farg are you screech of the. because hi

Big shout outs to the SE++ crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fridge corn posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of tonight's ff14 banner and why everyone is so hype for it?? Thx

So, the two grand price items are Alphinaud and Y'shtola's BSB's.

Y'shtola's is arguably the best healer burst in the game. The entry is a medica that then applies Stoneskin to the party for 30% of max HP; Stoneskin functions as a damage shield, reducing incoming damage to zero until expended. Then for commands, its instant cast Curaga and a weak AoE heal.

Alphinaud's, meanwhile, is one of the top Mage damage bursts: the entry gives him en-wind, command 1 makes the next spell cast instant, and command 2 restores a cast of your lowest remaining spell. Command 1 can be chained as a better version (thanks to en-wind) of Onion kids command 2, but even better, command 2 synergizes with Meltdown or our next 6* summon skill due in a few weeks - either way, Alphinaud gets to poo poo out damage.

Then, on a second tier, we have Minifilia's two SB's and Alphinaud and Papalymo's SSB's.

Alphinaud's consolation SSB is a 30% ATK/MAG buff (a la Celes, OK, etc.), and then gives the party Radiant Shield - a neat new buff that causes enemies to take the same damage they deal to you.

Papalymo has a new Faithga/Hastega that also reduces Mage cast time for extra speed.

And then Minifilia, whose Burst is holy damage and enholy a la Paladin Cecil's burst (though single target), but with the mediocre commands replaced by holy damage power breakdown and magic breakdown.
And then, for good measure, her SSB is a shout level boostga, with the new-ish Last Stand effect, which causes attacks that would kill party members to leave them at 1 HP so you can heal them and they won't lose buffs.

And that leaves the three 'duds' on the banner. One is Y'shtola's weak old medica/esuna robe. The second is Y'shtola's old SSB - protectga, Shellga, and High regen - not an awful package. And the other is Thyrus. Wall is the crappy c-list item on the banner. Let that sink in.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 31, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, the short version is, yeah, Imperil lowers the bosses holy resistance, which means once you've cast the SB once you should be using abilities that do holy damage like Saint's Cross whenever possible. It's not a huge buff (much smaller than en-element boosts, for example), but it's not nothing and it combos excellently with other knights who also have holy skillsnto bring to the table. The slightly sneaky part, is that once the boss is vulnerable to holy, your holy attacks will generate +50% SB gauge. Which makes them always a better choice than Lifesiphon afternyouve ijiially put up the imperil.

The long version is that an imperil reduces the target's resistance to an element by 20%, up to a cap of 100% weakness (aka double damage aka hardcoded boss "weakness"). Currently only the most recently placed imperil is active (so if you use Balthier's imperil-fire SSB after Agrias's BSB, the boss will have that 20% debuff to fire resistance but not holy), but that will be changed in a later patch so they can stack.

It does nothing to normal weaknesses (which are already at the bottom floor of resistance) and isn't enough to change a resist (+50% resistance) into a neutral attack (0% resistance), though it will make you do a little more damage. It won't make using nulled or absorbed elements worthwhile, either, so its biggest utility is to smack someone neutral to the element in order to turn it into a minor weakness.

As stated, if you land an attack that hits a weakness (any element at <0% resistance), you gain extra SB gauge, which helps you self-sustain with a lot of Imperil bursts and helps power more than just the single character, if you've got a team built around that element. The bonus damage may not seem like much at first blush, but it adds up.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i beat my first ever U+, the day after making my first full break! It was Ochu, who Gilgamesh's BSB makes short work of. Unfortunately I forgot to bring earth damage so I get to do it again. Also very excited to pull thyrus tonight

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The banner tonight is super hyped and good luck on your pulls

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
apparently we aren't getting the 10 new years mythril so i better stop doing orbfest and start mopping up dungeons

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It is a really solid banner with a bunch of super good stuff on it and no duds. The worst things on there are wall, proshellga+high regen, and cura+esunaga (which owns in multiplayer) and the grand prizes are something tied for best healer BSB in the game, an incredibly good caster BSB, and a really good enholy support/knight BSB.

Gonna go 1/11 twice and get poo poo both times probably. :smith:

e: I've had Thyrus forever so I'll probably just pull dupes of it.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 1, 2017

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, the short version is, yeah, Imperil lowers the bosses holy resistance, which means once you've cast the SB once you should be using abilities that do holy damage like Saint's Cross whenever possible. It's not a huge buff (much smaller than en-element boosts, for example), but it's not nothing and it combos excellently with other knights who also have holy skillsnto bring to the table. The slightly sneaky part, is that once the boss is vulnerable to holy, your holy attacks will generate +50% SB gauge. Which makes them always a better choice than Lifesiphon afternyouve ijiially put up the imperil.

Does that count Lightbringers burst attack bulwark whatever that does 2x holy attacks? or do burst attacks not generate SB I dont remember

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hi posted:

Does that count Lightbringers burst attack bulwark whatever that does 2x holy attacks? or do burst attacks not generate SB I dont remember

It does in fact count the burst attacks if they pop up that "Weakness" indicator! It only builds once per attack, though, not once per hit, and SBs don't generate their own gauge.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
All I want for Christmas New Years is Alphinaud's book.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
tonight is the ff14 god banner right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Banner refreshes in 8 minutes? It's 3am but New Years so I might roll on this dumb phone game

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Best of luck everyone

http://i.imgur.com/ZuJ5vyS.mp4

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Banner refreshes in 8 minutes? It's 3am but New Years so I might roll on this dumb phone game

Off by an hour.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

tonight is the ff14 god banner right?

Yes.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Oh God IT'S COMING :ohdear:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Farg posted:

apparently we aren't getting the 10 new years mythril so i better stop doing orbfest and start mopping up dungeons

gently caress. Someone said we were getting 25 mythril on New Year's so I did that Lucky Banner pull! Now I'm not going to have enough mythril for two pulls on this. :negative:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Twelve by Pies posted:

gently caress. Someone said we were getting 25 mythril on New Year's so I did that Lucky Banner pull! Now I'm not going to have enough mythril for two pulls on this. :negative:

We still are? https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2016/12/31/upcoming-in-app-announcement-new-year-s-celeb

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He's mistaken or just trying to troll you by being full of poo poo.

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2016/12/31/upcoming-in-app-announcement-new-year-s-celeb

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
New Year's Gift Anyone who logs in during the event duration will receive a whopping 25 Mythril and a New Year stamp!

It's... right there....

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Ff14 is actually good and fun and I am playing it right this minute. It is loving me up though because Yda owns like crazy but all her stuff is on the second banner and probably isn't very good anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Good luck on the banner, funfriends. I did a fest 3 11-pull yesterday and got Agriascalibur and Arc's robe, which I'm stoked about. I didn't have a tank BSB or a physical blink, and Agrias is an awesome character; I immediately used one of the two freebie MC3's we just got to raise her to 99.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I used Guy + Rydia on the Ochu fight and I'm not so disappointed in getting his SSB. Having an earth duo, an ice duo and a lightning duo can be useful. Arc's instant heal + phys blink is nice too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oh okay, good to know I don't have to be upset then. Whew.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Evokers doublet and magic gloves. Any good?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Yshtola burst and 2 Evokers's robes!

Man I am stacked for medicas

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Pull 1 got me Omnirod. Meh. Another pull.
Pull 2 got me one thing I really wanted: Leylines from Papalymo's! HURRAY!
Pull 3 gets me Evoker's Doublet. drat, man.

I've got 3 more pulls. Pondering to shove more into it.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 1, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MInfillia Burst
MInfillia SSBx2

Guess it's time to use MInfillia

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
100 gem: 3* helm with +atk

Can't wait until OSB fest is over so I can turn off IAP(until the next fest)

11 pull:

The magic users are pleased

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Dollar pull nets a....Thyrus dupe? Fine, whatever. Gonna wait until some relic results get posted on reddit before I go whole hog here. If they're playing the Tactics game, this banner's getting no more than an 11-pull. (Probably only getting that much anyway.)

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
gently caress it. PULL FOUR.

Thyrus the Fourth.

Alphinaud's BSB twice.

OK, I think I'm done!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
2ND pull, I got the rest of yshtolas relics - with 3 omnirods. Who needs synergy?

Ok game, I'll use her

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 1, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
3/11, two Veils of Wiyu and Omnirod. Omnirod does nothing for me other than synergy stick, but welcome Alph. I guess I might smash the two books together.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Does leylines stack with sheepsong? If so i have both of those and the evoker doublet atk+mag. Dang, maybe i should make a mage team.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cool, my long awaited healer bsb

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
4x11:

(4th) Thyrus
2x Curtana
Alph coat
Omnirod

Fml

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Holy Shield, Healer's Robe, Healer's Robe
Thyrus, Thyrus, Omnirod

Two 11-pulls. 3/11 on each. 5 out of the 6 are Yoshicola's old poo poo. I pulled two Thyruses on banner #1 of Orbfest so now I've gotten 4 of them in the last week. gently caress's sake. I have 90 mythril left but I'm tempted to just give up.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
welp i'm broken

1/11 thyrus dupe

1/11 wizard's gloves

1/11 minfillia's stupid shield

annnnd 1/11 omnirod

soul is just completely crushed right now. at least I was right that I had budgeted so much mythril that I couldn't avoid a faithga, but goddamn.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

One roll on this banner, I'll save my other 50 for the next.

2/11, Thyrus and Alphinaud's SSB.

... sure!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

2x11
thyrus
omnirod
3 x wizard gloves

I'd be happier if I didn't already have SG and Sheepsong. Yshtola without a medica can't really be my main healer, despite two great utility relics. At least I'm set for XIV mage armor?

I have enough for one more pull. Strongly debating about doing this vs OSB V or just saving for FFT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Does leylines stack with sheepsong? If so i have both of those and the evoker doublet atk+mag. Dang, maybe i should make a mage team.

They don't stack.

Also I'm amused that I've gone 18 months without pulling either Wall or Shout.

• Locked thread