Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Man I was so disappointed when the very first scene of Episode II started and there was no Captain Panaka. I thought that dude was great, like, I had his action figure and everything. Turns out that gunfight in the Palace was probably the most interesting thing that ever happened to him.

Also whoever was driving that transport is def. dead as poo poo so I really hope it wasn't Ric Olé :x

Panaka became a doctor and was blown up in a different explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Man I was so disappointed when the very first scene of Episode II started and there was no Captain Panaka. I thought that dude was great, like, I had his action figure and everything. Turns out that gunfight in the Palace was probably the most interesting thing that ever happened to him.

Maybe he was three days from retirement when TPM began.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
anyway since SMG got probated for loving sonic the hedgehog in the eyes it's time to post star wars fanfic!!!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5798602?view_full_work=true

it's the extremely unsubtle subtext of the prequels attached to a fuckable character so internet people care about it!!!

PYF star wars fanfic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

e: my favourite star wars fanfic is getting probated

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 1, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mods love Sonic who knew?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ungulateman posted:

anyway since SMG got probated for loving sonic the hedgehog in the eyes it's time to post star wars fanfic!!!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5798602?view_full_work=true

it's the extremely unsubtle subtext of the prequels attached to a fuckable character so internet people care about it!!!

PYF star wars fanfic

That post was so funny I'm taking him off my ignore list.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
:siren: I'm going to be handing out longer probations for shitposting in this thread :siren:

If you shitpost in this thread, you're going to be getting probations longer than 6 hours. If you post about things that aren't Star Wars (Sonic) without a specific reason of how they relate to Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours. If you complain about how a poster has a different opinion than you and don't post about Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours.

Talk about Star Wars and stop making this thread a flaming dumpster pile.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Also whoever was driving that transport is def. dead as poo poo so I really hope it wasn't Ric Olé :x

Actually, Panaka was the one who told Palpatine about Anakin and Padme's relationship. He ended up being a pretty well-paid Imperial officer.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Serious question: every star wars movie since star wars has been all white except one of the men is black and all male except one of the white people is a woman. How does the Force Awakens fitting this pattern exactly make it less white or male than a movie from 40 years earlier?

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith feature a/several characters played by a Maori actor, and Poe Dameron would pass as Latino if he weren't fictional.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Panaka was the one who told Palpatine about Anakin and Padme's relationship. He ended up being a pretty well-paid Imperial officer.

Pretty sure he lived through the ending of the Empire as well. Wait...Snoke saw the rise and fall of the Empire...as did Panaka...hmmm.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Jack Gladney posted:

Serious question: every star wars movie since star wars has been all white except one of the men is black and all male except one of the white people is a woman. How does the Force Awakens fitting this pattern exactly make it less white or male than a movie from 40 years earlier?

That's not even true, though. In TPM has both Amidala and Shmee Skywalker, for example. If we're talking actors, not characters, there's both Ahmed Best and Samuel L Jackson.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

GonSmithe posted:

:siren: I'm going to be handing out longer probations for shitposting in this thread :siren:

If you shitpost in this thread, you're going to be getting probations longer than 6 hours. If you post about things that aren't Star Wars (Sonic) without a specific reason of how they relate to Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours. If you complain about how a poster has a different opinion than you and don't post about Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours.

Thank you for protecting us from harmful posts about chili dogs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Veshpo posted:

Thank you for protecting us from harmful posts about chili dogs.

I don't like chilidogs, they're salty, and messy, and they make me fart.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Sonic post was about Star Wars. TFA's extremely chaste approach to sex, love and romance is strange and cartoonish coming from Lucas' films.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sassassin posted:

The Sonic post was about Star Wars. TFA's extremely chaste approach to sex, love and romance is strange and cartoonish coming from Lucas' films.

Unless your movie is very gay, it's hard to have romance in an ensemble adventure story when all but one character is a man (Carrie Fisher is in like two scenes). The other star wars sequels have this problem too, insofar as Luke Skywalker is a sexless eunuch once Leia and Han pair off in Empire.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Unless your movie is very gay, it's hard to have romance in an ensemble adventure story when all but one character is a man (Carrie Fisher is in like two scenes). The other star wars sequels have this problem too, insofar as Luke Skywalker is a sexless eunuch once Leia and Han pair off in Empire.

But the reason this whole discussion came about was from people pointing out the homoerotic vibes between Finn and Poe.

Anyone know if the idea of Jedi as celibate monks was concieved while Lucas was working on the original trilogy? It always struck me as a later addition, but I don't know either way.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Krangdar posted:

But the reason this whole discussion came about was from people pointing out the homoerotic vibes between Finn and Poe.

Anyone know if the idea of Jedi as celibate monks was concieved while Lucas was working on the original trilogy? It always struck me as a later addition, but I don't know either way.

Well, both of the Jedi Masters in the OT are old men living in seclusion, so draw your own conclusions

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Zoran posted:

Well, both of the Jedi Masters in the OT are old men living in seclusion, so draw your own conclusions

They're hiding in exile, though. It makes sense not to get too close to anyone else when you're a wanted man.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord Krangdar posted:

the force always had a connection to buddhism so i imagine it was probably at least on the fringes of lucas's mind

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just saw A Star Wars Story

The religious aspect was fascinating.

I thought the "in universe" logic was rigorous and made sense. Like the mon calarmi admiral just loving took his fleet to beach planet to fight because he wanted to .

Also liked felicity's climb to enlightenment. And Vader in close quarters combat is loving terrifying .

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked that the Mon Cal general said "That Star Destroyer is disabled!", thus confirming that his species has a predisposition to stating the obvious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I loved the pilots story and how his recruitment and pain was never really exposited. But that it shows that Mads was always working behind the scenes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hope this is a deliberate nod to the fact that the set dressing for the Death Star controls came from old broadcast TV stations.

I remember my dad taking me to work and joyfully pointing out the Death Star controls to me.

euphronius posted:

I thought the "in universe" logic was rigorous and made sense. Like the mon calarmi admiral just loving took his fleet to beach planet to fight because he wanted to .

That was excellent. The rebellion hadn't unified, so there was no way for the leaders to jointly send their troops into war. So they individually send their troops into war.

On a separate note, the visual design in this film was on point. The fishmen looked amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

If Rey turns out to be Luke's, I wonder if Mark Hamill was thinking how fast he could get his unborn granddaughter blended while shooting those scenes.

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/star-wars-mark-hamill-nathan-hamill-abortion-coercion

quote:

"So Maegan, once again, as I have said before, it is totally up to you," his mother wrote in another email. "Mark and I told you that if you choose to do the procedure we would be more than willing to pay for it. Do not use that as an excuse. It is not an excuse. We could and would pay the clinic if and when it is done but at this point we are not going to contact you again. You can have an attorney contact Nathan but until the baby is born and a paternity test is done and then the courts determine what Nathan is responsible for, you will not hear from him. Then and only then will you get a check, no more. We have welcomed you into our home and treated you as family only to have you say things that just aren't true and hurt us and our son."

I finally just told him I'd get the abortion. He was eager to get it done - happy, because he was finally getting his way. He said he'd take care of me after, and that we'd be together. His words weren't comforting, but they were all I had.

He took me to an abortion clinic at 21 weeks where I learned it would be a major procedure. I told the nurse at Planned Parenthood what was happening, and I showed her the emails and messages. She told me it was coercion, and I shouldn't have the abortion if I didn't want to do. She offered to give me paperwork stating I'd gotten it done.

Under stress, I lied, which I know wasn't right to do. I let Nathan think I went through with it. I told him it was done. I wanted to see if what he told me was true - that he'd be there for me after. But he immediately told me he didn't want anything to do with me. He had just been telling me what I wanted to hear to get what he wanted. He wanted it taken care of with no thought of my feelings. I'm sure he's used to getting his way.

I knew being that dishonest wasn't right, but it let me know where I stood. It let me know that I didn't care what he thought anymore. I guess a part of me was still holding onto him. At that moment, I was glad to let go.

I hope she named the baby Carrie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vader's Lava temple was completely ridiculous and perfect.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

Vader's Lava temple was completely ridiculous and perfect.

It's exactly where Vader would spend his furloughs, just hanging out with his goofy spiritual advisers and getting pissed at Obi-Wan and the entire universe every time he looks out the window. Or viewscreen I guess since there are no windows.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

It's exactly where Vader would spend his furloughs, just hanging out with his goofy spiritual advisers and getting pissed at Obi-Wan and the entire universe every time he looks out the window. Or viewscreen I guess since there are no windows.

He makes his butler dress up as his boss, which is the most ludicrously petty thing imaginable.

I was a big fan of the whole thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vader seemed... bored. I guess once the Jedi were all dead, his life was probably pretty boring until the rebellion heated up and he learned his kids were alive.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GonSmithe posted:

In fairness the post you're referring to was directly comparing the romance in The Force Awakens to Sonic the Hedghog characters. It was a good and funny post.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

euphronius posted:

Vader in close quarters combat is loving terrifying .

That was a sweet scene. I like that it walks the line of making Vader fearsome without overshadowing how he fights Obi Wan in ANH too much, but also in keeping with how he fights Luke in ESB.

I was laughing really hard at the Empire's tank that they had in Jedha. I was thinking shouldn't it be a hover tank or something? It was just an obviously dressed up regular rear end tank - an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stormer it turns out. But looking into it the Imperial "TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank" per Wookiepedia was initially going to be a hover tank but they changed it to a standard tank during production just in case the street fighting in occupied Iraq/Afghanistan allusion wasn't obvious enough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Vader seemed... bored. I guess once the Jedi were all dead, his life was probably pretty boring until the rebellion heated up and he learned his kids were alive.

Does he just chill in that tube when he's not at work? He should get one with wheels so he can watch tv or whatever. Also I imagine he kept that dude waiting for like an hour while he put on his whole formal suit and cape just to have a five-minute talk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Idahoant posted:

That was a sweet scene. I like that it walks the line of making Vader fearsome without overshadowing how he fights Obi Wan in ANH too much, but also in keeping with how he fights Luke in ESB.

I was laughing really hard at the Empire's tank that they had in Jedha. I was thinking shouldn't it be a hover tank or something? It was just an obviously dressed up regular rear end tank - an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stormer it turns out. But looking into it the Imperial "TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tank" per Wookiepedia was initially going to be a hover tank but they changed it to a standard tank during production just in case the street fighting in occupied Iraq/Afghanistan allusion wasn't obvious enough.

That scene was the most "you are to think the USA is the empire" scene so it made sense it looked like a Gulf war tank. Then they went the Rebels are ww2 vets storming a pacific atoll so mixed war imagery abounded!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

And no railings. OF course.

I also liked how Felicity and captain ... mexican accent ... had to manipulate the data with robot arms just like k2? was manipulating data. Nice touch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Does he just chill in that tube when he's not at work? He should get one with wheels so he can watch tv or whatever. Also I imagine he kept that dude waiting for like an hour while he put on his whole formal suit and cape just to have a five-minute talk.

His character makes a lot of sense when you consider he's in agony 24-7 and probably requires weeks of recovery every time he has to put on the suit and go deal with some leftover Jedi or whatever poo poo the Rebels are stirring up.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

euphronius posted:

That scene was the most "you are to think the USA is the empire" scene so it made sense it looked like a Gulf war tank. Then they went the Rebels are ww2 vets storming a pacific atoll so mixed war imagery abounded!

In fairness, this is so incredibly George Lucas that only a Star Wars Fan like Gareth Edwards could do it. Pretty much all the battle scenes in the OT are shot to resemble WW2 serial drama despite the fairly unambiguous Vietnam War references, and the PT uses Desert Storm, chess, urban terror and Crusade imagery depending on what mood it's trying to communicate.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not an especially insightful observation, but Saw's alien first lieutenant is loving sick. I love that guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also like that the Death Star is powered by commoditized Jedi belief .

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah the death star being a giant lightsaber is a fuckin amazing metaphor ("The rebelling systems will fall in line before the force of our jedi order death star").

It does raise an interesting question about why it's green, though. Evil lightsabers are red, good lightsabers are blue. Purple lightsabers tread the line in between, but green lightsabers seem to exist outside of this dichotomy entirely.

Is a green laser the diegetic result from shoving crystals into a machine without any conception of the Force as being Light/Dark (presuming the engineers who built the laser don't believe in the Force at all)? Because that raises some super interesting questions about the characters we see with green sabers (the relevant ones being Qui-Gon, Yoda, and ROTJ Luke). And it raises EVEN MORE interesting questions about the meaning of the Death Star, if it's 'Beyond Good and Evil' (or at least 'Jedi and Sith', which in a way it already was).

It also makes Starkiller Base even more explicitly 'THIS IS A DEATH STAR' because it's eating suns for the same power source that the Death Star used (rather than being some sort of weird eco-terrorist 'solar-powered' metaphor or something).

e: actually, now that i think about it, red/blue/green make up the colours of light, so green lightsabers metaphorically exist outside of the dichotomy of the Jedi and Sith by being part of the same spectrum, but separate from the more morally loaded colours.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 1, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just had a friend tell me he went into Rogue One expecting some kind of light hearted space romp for the Death Star plans and was blown away that it ended in the main cast dying and incredibly entertained by its darker tone.

I literally have no idea how he came to that initial idea. I kind of wish that Rogue One had advertised itself as a feel good family fun movie though.

Also he only started to scrutinize CGI Tarken when it dawned on him that Cushing had to be dead. He wasn't sure and needed to double check after the movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ungulateman posted:

e: actually, now that i think about it, red/blue/green make up the colours of light, so green lightsabers metaphorically exist outside of the dichotomy of the Jedi and Sith by being part of the same spectrum, but separate from the more morally loaded colours.

Out of curiosity, how did you decide that blue was the morally-loaded "good" color and green the "neutral"? The Jedi seemed to use them in about equal numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you decide that blue was the morally-loaded "good" color and green the "neutral"? The Jedi seemed to use them in about equal numbers.

In ANH and ESB, when the conflict is at least ostensibly 'good vs evil', it's a clash of blue and red sabers. Of course, this conflict isn't truly good and evil - it's Jedi and Sith, the PT shows us the Jedi as an institution are pretty lovely, and ROTJ shows us the real Light Side of the Force is to cast aside our lightsabers entirely.

More to the point, green being morally "good" and blue being "neutral" contradicts a lot of powerful imagery, unless you're going for a full-on fascist reading where the Empire are the good guys because the Death Star shoots "good" lasers. Obi-Wan is blatantly partisan in favour of the Republic and the Jedi Order in all six films and Mace Windu's purple blade is representative of his walking the precipice between Jedi orthodoxy and Sith orthodoxy (and that obviously is reliant on purple being red and blue mixed together).

Compare to the green saber-wielders - Qui-Gon, who's the apprentice of a Sith Lord but understands the will of the Force better than any of the Jedi Order. Yoda, who falls under the sway of the Dark Side at the end of AOTC, but realises his errors and retreats to Dagobah to meditate on the real purpose of the Jedi. And Luke in ROTJ, who drifts dangerously close to failing just like his father did, but (depending on interpretation) redeems himself, Darth Vader, brings balance to the Force, and/or destroys the entire dichotomy of 'Light Side'/'Dark Side' when he throws aside his blade.

To quote Bongo Bill and SMG from the previous thread:

"Some people think that Star Wars is a series where the bad guys have red lightsabers and the good guys have blue lightsabers. This is wrong. Star Wars is a series where the bad guys have red lightsabers and the good guys have green lightsabers."

"Star Wars is a series where the good guys use nothing, and die."

e: it's telling that TFA features a lot of contrasting red and blue but almost no green - the characters have reverted to a pre-ROTJ conception of the Force being 'good' and 'evil', failed to learn the lessons of either Luke or Darth Vader, and are reaching back to a past that can't be recreated (either the Republic, which we see consumed by a red(!) hand, or the Empire, whose remnants are ruled by a loving giant ghost).

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 1, 2017

• Locked thread