Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

aaaaaa this music

don't pull me back into FF XIV

don't you do it you fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
3x11 pulls:

2x Minfilia SSB shield
2x Alphinaud SSB robe
1x dupe Thyrus
1x Healer's Robe
1x Y'shtola BSB!!

I'm happy, this is my first healer BSB. I wanted Veil of Wiyu, but there's always the summoner lucky draw.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Now that I have multiple sources of Wall and two Mage BSBs, I feel like it's time for me to make a mage team :getin: :

-Terra (Veil of Fire, Blood of Espers)
-Alphinaud (Deployment Tactics, Aerial Blast)
-Papalymo (Enochian Blizzaja, Leylines) OR Krile (Wind Drake's Roar, Sheepsong)
-Tyro (random garbage, Sentinel's) OR Y'shtola (Healer's Robes, Thyrus)
-Aeris (Pulse of Life, White Materia)

Other mages I have relics for, though no bursts: Edea, Kefka, Exdeath, Reno, Hope

I could always throw Y'shtola on double wall/heal duty, but I think I prefer Tyro wall-ing and supporting and Aeris spamming her medica command.

That squad is a prime candidate for Y'shtola walling and summoning an offensive BSB; either Selphie's (for Mag/MND up and an offensive white magic command), or gear her as a BLM and summon OK BSB and just spam command 2.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Before this banner hit, I had nothing from it.

Now, after some terrible life decisions, I own everything except Yshtola's Healer's Robes :kheldragar:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm an idiot with no self control, even though Y'shtola's BSB would be kinda redundant for me because I have Vanille's BSB, and I already have Thyrus and Healer's Robe, I basically looked at all the other items on the banner and couldn't help myself.

1x50myth:

Curtana, Evoker's Doublet, Wizard's Gloves

NO loving SELF CONTROL, LADS!! I'm now the proud owner of my first native ATK/MAG buff (along with damage reflect to boot), and my first mage shout, along with Minfilia's maddecent BSB.

Also I'm overjoyed to report my friend who I was convinced would be quitting the game tonight did 7x50myth and got at least one copy of every item the whole banner, including Y'shtola's BSB which was the chase. :unsmith:

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Welp, pulled again. Got another shield, alph robe, and curilla bsb. 2 BSBs and two dupes is enough for now I think.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Did an 11 pull on XIV and got three shineys!

Well, never had a Thyrus before and now I have an 8-star.
I already had SG too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also I'm amused that I've gone 18 months without pulling either Wall or Shout.

:same:

High five, wall-less week 1 buddy.

That said, while my first pull was probably the most frustrating 3/11 I could have managed without offbanners (2x Omnirod, Healer's Robe), my second pull was a much more enjoyable Healer's Circlet/Cartana. I'm happy with this.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 1, 2017

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

CaptainPsyko posted:

That squad is a prime candidate for Y'shtola walling and summoning an offensive BSB; either Selphie's (for Mag/MND up and an offensive white magic command), or gear her as a BLM and summon OK BSB and just spam command 2.

Good idea, thanks! :getin:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If my pull on banner 2 goes well I might circle back around for a pull on this banner as well

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
1/11, alph coat. Eh.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Well I did my budgeted 3 11-pulls

First: Thyrus :suicide:, Holy Shield
Second: Wizard Gloves, Curtana :woop:
Third: Holy Shield. gently caress

Oh well it gives me a reason to pull on the summoner lucky. I now have full XIV synergy and should be able to stomp the U CM.

Minfilia's BSB animation is pretty good :kimchi:

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

bilperkins2 posted:

3/22 - Alphinaud BSB and SSB, and Thyrus, which I didn't already have but had SG. I'm ok with this.

One more 11x pull for me and I'm basically out of mythril. 2/11 - Omnirod and Curtana - I'm definitely happy with Curtana because I have Beatrix's Holy Imperil BSB and Firion's Holy God BSB adding Milf in and I have a Holy terror squad.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so alph coat is like, a mage shout with a probably not useful effect yeah?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Farg posted:

It's atk/mag (same as Celes/OK BSB) so it stacks with mage shouts. And the effect destroys multiplayer bosses.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
3/11: Thyrus (#3), Wizard Gloves, Holy Shield.

Not bad. In particular, Minfilia's SSB synergizes well with Onion Knight's BSB, so I'll probably be bringing her for melee-heavy teams. I'm tempted to do another pull chasing the book (or any of the BSBs really), but will probably wait to see what the rest of OSB fest gets me first.

Speaking of which, I also did a late 100 gem pull on OSB3 and got Ovelia's SSB, which was a nice surprise.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Farg posted:

It's actually OK's BSB entry, except it trades Hastega for an effect that is absurdly useful against AoE... though it really shines the hardest in Multiplayer.

Naturally, it's a SSB instead of a BSB, so you don't get the brokenness of either his or OK's burst, but it's still 100% solid.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's atk/mag (same as Celes/OK BSB) so it stacks with mage shouts. And the effect destroys multiplayer bosses.

Oh dang, so does it stack with shout then?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
200 Mythril later, I'm happy. The true Banner Win still eludes me, but this served me very well. Three pulls on XIV, with the results determining whether I'd pull on Fest Banner 3.

First pull: Thyrus, Wizard's Gloves. Finally a Wall! It's not for Tyro but quite frankly it'll do! The Wizard's Gloves, meanwhile, are on a lumpy non-sheep costumed dude whose casting sprite looks like he's gangsta leaning. You're not replacing Krile, guy. Next!
Second pull: Omnirod, Holy Shield... Veil of Wiyu! Hell yes! First big prize!
Third pull: One rainbow, please don't b- ah. Dupe Wizard's Gloves. Of course. How could it end any different. Welp! No healer BSB means we do that 3 pull I wanted to do but put off. And so...
Fourth pull: Bartz Cloak... and Hamelin! Revenge!

At this point I've decided I'm definitely not pulling on banner 5. No Healer's Circlet, no Celescalibur, no Blood Sword and no Onion Gauntlets means I'm going in hard on the Orthros banner for the Anniversary, praying that those items find their way on there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

pichupal posted:

Mainly if combined with Meltdown (if you Dive him) and the new Wind Summon, but yes. It's really good.

Actually you're better off using just command 1 99% of the time. Using Etherflow to recharge other abilities only good in three cases: If the enemy is not weak to wind AND has a full weakness to either earth or fire (Meltdown); If the enemy is fully weak to fire, ice, or thunder (Valigarmanda); or if you can get 3 hits from Tiamat and there are multiple non-wind-resistant bosses you don't mind damaging more or less equally. Technically 3-hit Tiamat is very slightly better DPS than pure command 1 spam even against a single enemy, except that the latter allows you to instant cast the BSB when you run out and the former doesn't (and also costs an ability slot and whatever you spend honing Tiamat).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Had 118 mythril, so I could do two pulls. I have no healer BSB and I think my best healer SSB is probably Arc's White Mage Robe. Or the long-standing Hymn of the Fayth SB on Rinoa because Heavy Regen is awesome. Y'shtola's BSB is my main hope, followed by Minfilia's (since I go heavy physical) and then Alphinaud's BSB, followed by whatever for the SSBs.

Pull #1: 2/11
Papalymo's Gloves
Alphinaud's Coat

Pull #2: 3/11
Thyrus #2 :sigh:
Alphinaud's Coat #2 :catstare:
:siren::woop::toot: Healer Circlet gently caress yes all is right in the world once more :toot::woop::siren:

e: I guess I could put together a decent enough mage team if I were to burn a shitload of orbs on hones for 4-5 star spells. Off the top of my head my SSB/BSB are:
Maria - Meteor XVI
Krile - Sheepsong
Terra - Fire Beam
Paplymo - Leylines
Braska - whatever the gently caress his SSB is called
Alphinaud - Deployment Tactics

Something like Maria, Krile/Paplymo/Braksa*, Alphinaud, Terra, Tyro/Y'shtola.

*would need haste from somewhere else if using Braska

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 1, 2017

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
2/11, 2 copies of Medica II :saddowns:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Zurai, or any other JP folk,

How does Radiant shield work with Clouds USB? do overflow attacks also overflow in the reflect with it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Something like Maria, Krile/Paplymo/Braksa*, Alphinaud, Terra, Tyro/Y'shtola.

*would need haste from somewhere else if using Braska

Papalymo would be the one you'd want to use. It's unfortunate that Alphinerd SSB and Y'shtola Burst don't play nice with each other.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
100-gem pull: Veil of Wiyu
11-pull #1: Healer's Circlet x2, Holy Shield, Wizard's Bracers

There will not be a second pull. I think that will do. I was going to pull twice, so I think I might make a pull on banner 2 now, which I was initially planning to ignore.

The only unfortunate thing about this pull is that I no longer really need to use Krile in my mage A-team.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Koobes posted:

Zurai, or any other JP folk,

How does Radiant shield work with Clouds USB? do overflow attacks also overflow in the reflect with it?

Just based on videos I've seen, I'm sure if one of your dudes took 99999 damage, the person who did the damage would take 99999 damage in return. Except your dude would be dead and the boss likely wouldn't.

Basically, Radiant Shield is a straight 1:1 reflect of any damage your characters take, unconnected to any other stats. If a boss does 1000 damage to all eight party members in multiplayer with an AoE, they take 1000 damage in return. Eight times, once for each party member.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Papalymo would be the one you'd want to use. It's unfortunate that Alphinerd SSB and Y'shtola Burst don't play nice with each other.

I just wish I could make both her Wall and BSB viable together but it'd require wrath spam and praying the party survives long enough for her to get the BSB running after popping wall at the start unless I can pawn off both shell/protect duties to others (Alphinaud and Noel types, I guess?) and have her run Wrath/Curaja with Mako or Dr. Mog's. Wrath gives what, 200 SB gauge compared to Lifesiphon's 150?

e:

Maria/Papalymo/Terra/Alphinaud/Y'shtola maybe?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 1, 2017

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Two pulls got me Veil of Wiyu, Holy Shield, Omnirod, and Wizard's Gloves. Considering another pull tomorrow with the 25 mythril bonus, but I'm trying to convince myself to save for FFT.

I was hoping for Curtana, but Holy Shield is enough for my secret goal of an Agrias/Celes/Beatrix/Minfilia squad called "Ladies' Knight".

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Stopgap posted:

Two pulls got me Veil of Wiyu, Holy Shield, Omnirod, and Wizard's Gloves. Considering another pull tomorrow with the 25 mythril bonus, but I'm trying to convince myself to save for FFT.

I was hoping for Curtana, but Holy Shield is enough for my secret goal of an Agrias/Celes/Beatrix/Minfilia squad called "Ladies' Knight".

Why y'gotta diss Paine like that?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone have a video of minfilias bsb?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Just based on videos I've seen, I'm sure if one of your dudes took 99999 damage, the person who did the damage would take 99999 damage in return. Except your dude would be dead and the boss likely wouldn't.

Basically, Radiant Shield is a straight 1:1 reflect of any damage your characters take, unconnected to any other stats. If a boss does 1000 damage to all eight party members in multiplayer with an AoE, they take 1000 damage in return. Eight times, once for each party member.

The absurdity of this is that Last stand would keep your dude alive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

You can only reflect as much damage as your HP bar takes. If your character has 100 HP and they survive a 99999 hit thanks to Last Stand, you only reflect 99 damage.

Also you won't reflect damage if you die from the attack.

Radiant Shield is still only useful if you keep your party members healthy; just constantly reapplying Last Stand doesn't mean a thing if your party members are at constantly low health.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Koobes posted:

The absurdity of this is that Last stand would keep your dude alive.

Pretty sure that the D300 video Zurai(?) posted just the other day had the boss do both single target and AOE 99999 damage attacks and the damage reflect never did more to the boss than the max HP of the person reflecting damage IIRC. I mean, for the AOE that's still tens of thousands of damage being thrown back in the boss's face, but still it's not "smanage to survive this and watch the boss instantly explode" damage.

e: :ninja:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can only reflect as much damage as your HP bar takes. If your character has 100 HP and they survive a 99999 hit thanks to Last Stand, you only reflect 99 damage.

Also you won't reflect damage if you die from the attack.

Radiant Shield is still only useful if you keep your party members healthy; just constantly reapplying Last Stand doesn't mean a thing if your party members are at constantly low health.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure that the D300 video Zurai(?) posted just the other day had the boss do both single target and AOE 99999 damage attacks and the damage reflect never did more to the boss than the max HP of the person reflecting damage IIRC. I mean, for the AOE that's still tens of thousands of damage being thrown back in the boss's face, but still.

Fair, this is the info I was curious about, thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Stopgap posted:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Why y'gotta diss Paine like that?

I don't have any good SBs for Agrias (I'm like, the only one ever who lacks Cleansing Strike), but...

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't have Cleansing Strike either :(

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Only 3/34. Can't complain too bad though, Healer's Robe, Healer's Circlet and Evoker's Doublet. No money pulls for me, as I don't think I'm going to do much better. Minfilia's gear would have been nice, but only an incremental upgrade over Cecil. I already had a Thyrus+ coming into this; I was positive I was going to wind up with an 8 star to go with my 8 star Wyrmfang and Mace of Zeus.

I now have an AoE heal for every synergy except 1, 8, and 11.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Ugh, doing the relic poll on r/ffrk made me realize I went harder on this banner than I should've. Whaling feels bad, why do I never learn.

It's also killed off most of the desire I had for future banners. I was looking forward to the Summoner Banner, Seymour 2 (balls for Tidus, stuff for Rikku), the next OSBfest (if the banners worked for me), Aerith USB 1 (Cloud BSB2 and Zack's wind imperil), and Vanille USB 2 (Hope's BSB2, Raine's BSB). Now I just kinda want Cloud and Zack's wind BSBs for shenanigans with Alphinaud and Larsa's BSB (it's almost identical to Y'shtola's but I like him better) while doing any half off draws for the fun factor. I still kinda want Hope's BSB2 but it's not a must.

I guess I'm at the point where I just want to make parties with my favorites and get their cool poo poo but I keep forgetting that.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I've beat Bartz twice now and both times didn't master it because I forgot to bring Banishing Strike to dispel his haste. I'm a retard.

At least its only 1 stamina per run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
So if I wanted to make a mage team, how many nukers do I need? I have Fire Lash, Evoker's Doublet and Wizard's Gloves for faithgas. For magic damage though I only have Rydia and Serah's bsb's. I don't think I could run 4 black mages and 1 healer. I could RW wall but I need debuffs, so I can run my own Tyro as a debuffer with SG. Tyro/Arc/X/X/X? Should I run both magic buffers and then Serah? Rydia? Should I only run 1 magic buffer and bring both Serah and Rydia? I suppose I could run Alph and Papy and bring an offensive magic bsb that one of them could use? I've been running a full physical party for a while now, I don't have much of a clue regarding magic.

• Locked thread