Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Feedback on the youtube weapon guides from Reddit - "uh no, actually, the repeater pistol and dual swords are good, I think, furthermore..."

there's weapons where, if you load in and see people see them using them, the player is probably not good. repeater pistol and dual swords pretty much lead that list. reddit loves those weapons. reddit is elf pubbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I don't know what even happened here:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The dual swords seem fine

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

SkySteak posted:

I don't know what even happened here:

It's a weird latency glitch, nothing too bad.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The dual swords seem fine

They're fine as a trash clearer but fall short compared, again, to Sword and Dagger. Being able to hit 4 targets, for damage, in infinite swings is pretty good but the charge attack is bad. It's for Stormvermin mainly but the Dual Swords can pair very well with the Trueflight Bow, a very good anti-Stormvermin weapon, so it's not an issue.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 1, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

terrorist ambulance posted:

Feedback on the youtube weapon guides from Reddit - "uh no, actually, the repeater pistol and dual swords are good, I think, furthermore..."

there's weapons where, if you load in and see people see them using them, the player is probably not good. repeater pistol and dual swords pretty much lead that list. reddit loves those weapons. reddit is elf pubbie.

lune showed me that stuff and it took me about a quarter second to get to the 'beyond caring' point because not a single one of the people criticizing the videos got the part where we speak about all of these things in relative terms. literally the biggest demerits we give both of these weapons is "why would you use the repeater pistol when the brace of pistols is right there" and "why would you use the dual swords when the sword and dagger are right there"

if your only orange for the elf is dual swords, they're not unusable weapons by any means and you should use them, but they've got to compete against the best striker weapon in the game and that's where reddit missed the boat. i'm completely uninterested in arguing the point with them though, i'd rather help the target audience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there's weapons where, if you load in and see people see them using them, the player is probably not good. repeater pistol and dual swords pretty much lead that list.

Or maybe they are using those weapons to have fun.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There are ructions about Sienna's staves not performing as they should. The Fireball works as it should in 1.5 but there's issues of heat generation on the other three staves being 1.4 levels and the Conflagration not doing the damage it should being mentioned here and there. We'll annotate or comment that video when and if these changes roll around again.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I just realized you could rapid fire the brace of pistols and its loving amazing. I got orange pistols with 100% penetration, split bullet and some other garbage but holy gently caress position a storm vermin patrol right and unload with all the pistols = splooge. Its also amazing for rogers when you have an ammo chest sitting nearby because you just become a turret.

I did the dungeon mission and i really enjoyed it, i don't know why the hate. We nearly all died multiple times but it was a nightmare run and holy gently caress that tunnel escape was fun, spinning around and unloading my orange shotgun into the masses behind us with absolutely no hp's was amazing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Do the DLC weapons only drop in DLC missions?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Digirat posted:

Or maybe they are using those weapons to have fun.

Ye that, it gets boring using solely the same things all the time, if you're not doing cata it barely matters anyway either, even before the patch that made all the previously janky weapons good, I was using whatever for fun in nightmare and we were still winning every time.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reddit is the hugbox of pyro mains, attack Torbjorns, Turbofog players, mill Rogue players, and any other meme garbage possible in literally any other game.

They will always have bad opinions about anything game related and most things not game related.

Like it's fine that meme junk is how they have fun, but they will write a loving multi-volume compendium about why said meme junk is actually the strongest option in anything.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well if you compare the DPS and DPC(damage per clip) in this chart i made you can clearly see that

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I love watching rats choke to death from poison. It is the elf's best offering to the party.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I love watching rats choke to death from poison. It is the elf's best offering to the party.

e:
can you imagine that there are people that dont know rats are adorable

how can they live in this world thinking that its so hosed up

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 1, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfl2w05MhSg

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Tiler Kiwi posted:

e:

10/10 would push rats into magma chasm at the bottom of a dwarven stronghold

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TSkt_hItXQ

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lunethex posted:

There are ructions about Sienna's staves not performing as they should. The Fireball works as it should in 1.5 but there's issues of heat generation on the other three staves being 1.4 levels and the Conflagration not doing the damage it should being mentioned here and there. We'll annotate or comment that video when and if these changes roll around again.
People have been saying this ever since the patch dropped, why is it news now? Have Fatshark acknowledged it or something?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 1, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Zephro posted:

People have been saying this ever since the patch dropped, why is it news now? Have Fatshark acknowledged it or something?

I just posted it in case people here were following our videos :v:

Anyway I've been casually digging into files a bit looking for unused stuff and I found a couple of unused weapon perks. There was going to be a Killing Blow (Normal) for ranged weapons, up to 10% chance. You can imagine how incredibly overpowered and game breaking that would be. There is also a perk, up to 15% chance, that apparently prevents Sienna from exploding. Like Second Wind but magic. Unused coop perk too that would make enemies take more damage like Off Balance when they get pushed too.

Oh that's neat. The perk that is unused to keep you from dying from overcharge explosion works, but you lose a chunk of your health even if it does proc.

edit:

This guy posted a video of dialogue new to the Karak Azgaraz DLC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44935r_do

The one about Okri plays rarely but that one about Bardin's search for Karak Zorn is new and wow that was the longest conversation held in the game. They write so much stuff but it never plays in-game :sigh:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 1, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

This guy posted a video of dialogue new to the Karak Azgaraz DLC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df44935r_do

The one about Okri plays rarely but that one about Bardin's search for Karak Zorn is new and wow that was the longest conversation held in the game. They write so much stuff but it never plays in-game :sigh:

Bardin does a goddamn Kruber Impression.

These people get Warhams so well it's amazing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lunethex posted:

Ah, OK. The videos are good, thanks for doing them!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically every elf melee weapon is fine on nightmare now.

The Repeater Pistol still isn't very good but that's because the Brace does everything it does better and the Volley Crossbow kills Roger way better than it does so the one thing it had is gone.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I could have sworn I read in the patch notes they increased the headshot multiplier on the Repeater Pistol. Or was it the Handgun? Cause the R.Pistol only does +1 damage lol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

I could have sworn I read in the patch notes they increased the headshot multiplier on the Repeater Pistol. Or was it the Handgun? Cause the R.Pistol only does +1 damage lol.

It's only the Handgun, which is now, you know, actually good because it's basically a Brace of Pistols that has to deal with reloading but in return has innate Rupture.

Which is kinda a good trade.

Oh also they made the bullet spray shotgun attack on the Repeater Pistol weaker so it can't shotgun blast a Stormvermin into paste at close range on Nightmare anymore which was previously the only good thing it did outside of magdumping Roger. lol.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

They've been hugely helpful for me as a new player. It's almost like you guys are playing an entirely different game then me in the gameplay videos

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Pendent posted:

They've been hugely helpful for me as a new player. It's almost like you guys are playing an entirely different game then me in the gameplay videos

I tried to make them relatable. I've already caught a bit of flak for my "adderall infested bath salt induced parkinsons gameplay" a couple places. There's a couple missed details or undone things like curving Trueflight & Bolt Staff shots and better timing on them, the Rapier being Lv.1 Push & Not Lv.2 which I misremembered at the time. Health bars were active to show things actually dying or how it was performing overall on its own versus the usual encounters, you get the idea. There's so much more to it than what the videos showcase but hopefully the ultimate goal of getting people informed on the strengths of the weapons helps.

I believe one such criticism is that I don't show any downsides of the weapons but I fail to actually be bothered by even the more obvious deficiencies. You have a lot of tools at your disposal, such as dodging when aiming your Brace of Pistols or Volley Bow alt fire, dodging just after swinging while blocking, lots of little things.

Later today, and I'll link it up myself if I'm still awake, I have 4 punchy videos on the specials coming up showing the core ideas and mindset you should have when they become an active element in the game. After that I have one video I need to get around to pushing out which is an all encompassing Pro Tips video. Literally pro at that. It has 3 subjects that will be gone over as simply as the special videos I did will be.

1. Dodging
_When to dodge
_How to dodge
_What efficient count means
_Stamina doesn't regenerate if you spam dodge
_How to maneuver the hordes as a killer

2. Blocking & Pushing
_Covers all angles
_Block while reviving
_Push covers all angles too
_Devastating Blow's Key Function (Stopping a Stormvermin cleave)
_When to push
_Block when picking up items, and in Elf's case always block everywhere you go

3. Teamwork
_Giving items to your team
_How to work with your Striker and Controller, as Coolguy puts it
_Pinging items and enemies

I thought of doing a Trinket overview and even a Weapon perk overview. There may be a trinket video but weapon perks are probably even better left to writing. Even the trinket one may not happen but 1 person did ask.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you're not playing the Elf like she's on bath salts something has gone wrong.

Like seriously flipping out at people and flailing wildly while hopping around is 100% the best way to be an elf.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
What I meant was that you were obviously so much better at the game than I am that it seemed almost like you were playing something else entirely. I like this because it's been showing me ways to improve

E:those ideas for new videos sound amazing to me fyi. Especially dodging which I am currently terrible at.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 1, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Pendent posted:

What I meant was that you were obviously so much better at the game than I am that it seemed almost like you were playing something else entirely. I like this because it's been showing me ways to improve

Sure, I hope it's helping, that's all :)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
What should I be doing with loot? I have like two purples between all characters, not a single orange, and maybe 5 greens total.

Do I just shard everything except for my weapons of choice for each character, hang on to whites for the combining thing, use the random item thingy?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

What should I be doing with loot? I have like two purples between all characters, not a single orange, and maybe 5 greens total.

Do I just shard everything except for my weapons of choice for each character, hang on to whites for the combining thing, use the random item thingy?

Praying for random items is a huge waste of materials and time. Keep weapons you want orange versions of. Combine them only with other copies of the same weapon and rocks. This ensures that you get that specific weapon in a higher quality. So let's say you want an orange rapier for Saltzpyre but all you have is a green one. You can make a blue one by combining a green one and some rocks, or make it cheaper by combining two green ones and rocks, etc. Do this until you have orange of every weapon you want (and then just start hanging on to orange versions of other weapons just to have them in backup for if/when they become good.) The process will be made faster if you use the Bounty Board missions and if you keep practicing to improve and play on harder difficulties so you get higher tier loot.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
the biggest problem once you start playing nightmare a lot is a shortage of blue ore to unlock traits

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orange can be painful once you start your mad quest toward rolling perfect weapons but not everyone even feels compelled to do that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Anyway I've been casually digging into files a bit looking for unused stuff and I found a couple of unused weapon perks. There was going to be a Killing Blow (Normal) for ranged weapons, up to 10% chance. You can imagine how incredibly overpowered and game breaking that would be. There is also a perk, up to 15% chance, that apparently prevents Sienna from exploding. Like Second Wind but magic. Unused coop perk too that would make enemies take more damage like Off Balance when they get pushed too.

Oh that's neat. The perk that is unused to keep you from dying from overcharge explosion works, but you lose a chunk of your health even if it does proc.

edit:

I'm glad Kruber brings up my theory that Cousin Okri isn't real. I've been saying it for years.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Saltzpyre tolerates Sienna questioning the gods better than Bardin tolerates Kruber questioning cousin Okri.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

all dwarves have that weird sore spot that is basically the root of most of the dumb poo poo in the Book of Grudges and apparently Okri is Bardin's

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mzbundifund posted:

Saltzpyre tolerates Sienna questioning the gods better than Bardin tolerates Kruber questioning cousin Okri.

He expects it from a filthy witch like her. But a comrade calling Bardin a liar? That's beyond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm glad Kruber brings up my theory that Cousin Okri isn't real. I've been saying it for years.

YOU'RE NOT REAL

• Locked thread