Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

It's funnier without the achievement. Haha, people actually did that thinking they were gonna get an achievement.

I did it because I thought SOMETHING was going to happen. I was thinking "there must be something, some amazing reaction, that happens when you do this, because it sure is boring as poo poo to do." Nope. Not a loving thing. Nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wish more games avoided rewarding people for doing boring, repetitive garbage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

I did it because I thought SOMETHING was going to happen. I was thinking "there must be something, some amazing reaction, that happens when you do this, because it sure is boring as poo poo to do." Nope. Not a loving thing. Nothing happened.

I did it while doing actual situps.

My reward was sick abs.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

I did it while doing actual situps.

My reward was sick abs.

That's how they should have done the Kinect implementation

Which by the way, Kinect lol

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

I wish more games avoided rewarding people for doing boring, repetitive garbage.

Well, I mean Dragon Age Inquisition had an ending.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The knowledge that there is no reward guarantees that I will do it next time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

nerdz posted:

That's how they should have done the Kinect implementation

Which by the way, Kinect lol

edi, lightsaber on

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report: Mass Effect 2 still good.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
someone refresh my memory here: I remember that in ME1 somehow the new alien technology allowed for weapons with unlimited ammo, their only limitation was overheating.

So they retconned it and added thermal clips in ME2, the dumbest poo poo ever.

I would really like a system like overwatch/EDF in Andromeda, where weapons are only limited by reload speed and magazine size.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

nerdz posted:

someone refresh my memory here: I remember that in ME1 somehow the new alien technology allowed for weapons with unlimited ammo, their only limitation was overheating.

So they retconned it and added thermal clips in ME2, the dumbest poo poo ever.

I would really like a system like overwatch/EDF in Andromeda, where weapons are only limited by reload speed and magazine size.

The guns also used mass effect fields.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People pointing out that the thermal clip change was dumb bugged the devs so much, they used Conrad to make fun of them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The change was fine from a gameplay point of view, it just was really dumb lore-wise.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was overall good, but I disliked that it meant that, as an Infiltrator, I'd have to occasionally use weapons other than my sniper rifle. What the hell is the use of giving me a cool gun like the Widow and then not even letting me fire it ten times?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The change was fine from a gameplay point of view, it just was really dumb lore-wise.

Lore-wise you're shooting sand grain sized specs of material with space magicscience. The premise of thermal clips makes sense, lore-wise, and it's better mechanically. The implementation could have been better, like just allowing universal thermal clips for all guns and just big ones for launchers or something, but it's not dumb.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does anyone have the in-game justification for it? I still remember them using energy off the rod in the first one, and in the second one they magically had infinite rods so they just chopped pieces off it with every shot or something stupid.

I can imagine Andromeda now, Ryder is stuck on some alien planet out of ammo because aliens don't use thermal clips. He/She is just wishing it was five years earlier when everyone had the cool unlimited-ammo guns.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The in game justification is that the geth did a bunch of calculations and figured out that if you had thermal clips it gave you more shoots than the heating up guns, and everyone was like yeah thats smart. the end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Does anyone have the in-game justification for it? I still remember them using energy off the rod in the first one, and in the second one they magically had infinite rods so they just chopped pieces off it with every shot or something stupid.

I can imagine Andromeda now, Ryder is stuck on some alien planet out of ammo because aliens don't use thermal clips. He/She is just wishing it was five years earlier when everyone had the cool unlimited-ammo guns.

I'd trade all this platinum and iridium for a good, study club, or an ME1 gun.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just played Jack's loyalty mission followed by the Arrival DLC. Talk about a jarring difference in mission quality.

Jack's mission had lot of great dialogue, story nuggets and well paced combat between the talkies. Arrival? Eh, you don't really get to choose more than one prompt at the end which doesn't really change anything and the rest is shooting low grade mooks.
I'm not saying it's the most :effort: DLC I've seen but neither is it in any way worth a purchase for any amount of money. Should have been completely free.

I struggled to see any non-reused assets too (aside from the asteroid FMV cutscenes). Maybe the special reaper artifact? Though it wouldn't surprise me if it was already in game somewhere and I overlooked it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also the indoctrinated people bring you to their base just so you can thwart their plans.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Drifter posted:

If there were a mod that allowed one creature to drop 5 or so of each item, and to reduce the number of "collect X many things to unlock door" then I'd probably play the game again.

The core gameplay (collecting things) is bad enough, however, that I never want to play it again, no matter how weaktempted I may be otherwise.

good news!

both exist.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to my computer to find them for a week, but DA:I is way better when you mod and cheatengine away all the boring bits.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Am I misremembering, or was Arrival done by a different team than the core game? Maybe the ME3 MP studio?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DancingShade posted:

Just played Jack's loyalty mission followed by the Arrival DLC. Talk about a jarring difference in mission quality.

Jack's mission had lot of great dialogue, story nuggets and well paced combat between the talkies. Arrival? Eh, you don't really get to choose more than one prompt at the end which doesn't really change anything and the rest is shooting low grade mooks.
I'm not saying it's the most :effort: DLC I've seen but neither is it in any way worth a purchase for any amount of money. Should have been completely free.

I struggled to see any non-reused assets too (aside from the asteroid FMV cutscenes). Maybe the special reaper artifact? Though it wouldn't surprise me if it was already in game somewhere and I overlooked it.

Strangely enough, I want to say there's non-reused assets in the bad end cutscene you can get if you stand there and wait for the timer to rundown. Yes, that's a thing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure a bunch of the base it self is new assets (the walls and doors and poo poo), the alliance didn't have a cohesive visual style until arrival.Though I'm sure those assets were made for ME3, we saw them in Arrival first.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Lore-wise you're shooting sand grain sized specs of material with space magicscience. The premise of thermal clips makes sense, lore-wise, and it's better mechanically. The implementation could have been better, like just allowing universal thermal clips for all guns and just big ones for launchers or something, but it's not dumb.

I don't know, it would have been better if they added reload animations but infinite ammo like overwatch. Though since it was a cover shooter it would've made gameplay very turtling focused. Lets see how they'll explain a bunch of clips laying around this time.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nerdz posted:

I don't know, it would have been better if they added reload animations but infinite ammo like overwatch. Though since it was a cover shooter it would've made gameplay very turtling focused. Lets see how they'll explain a bunch of clips laying around this time.

Every planet will have had a supply ship accidentally shot down/crashed on it scattering clips to the wind?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ramadu posted:

Every planet will have had a supply ship accidentally shot down/crashed on it scattering clips to the wind?

Ammo crates are the new mass effect relays.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

nerdz posted:

Johnny Ammo clip was one of the first path finders and he planted thermal rounds wherever he went.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The way guns work didn't change between ME1 and ME2 lore-wise other than ME1 guns using a single, central heatsink and ME2 guns using disposable, ejectable heatsinks that are quickly replaced instead of waiting for the core heatsink to cool. They both shave bullets off a central block of nearly inexhaustible material. It's not a huge or really ridiculous step.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

The way guns work didn't change between ME1 and ME2 lore-wise other than ME1 guns using a single, central heatsink and ME2 guns using disposable, ejectable heatsinks that are quickly replaced instead of waiting for the core heatsink to cool. They both shave bullets off a central block of nearly inexhaustible material. It's not a huge or really ridiculous step.
Generally I agree, but why not keep that central heatsink? Why not keep the capability to fire without clips, just at a greatly reduced rate?

Gameplay-wise it makes sense and is a good change, because it makes fighting faster and more dynamic because you have to break cover to reload your favorite weapon or are forced into changing weapons (and thus exposed to other strategies). Lore-wise it doesn't make any sense, especially since it apparently spread throughout the galaxy in less than two years.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Generally I agree, but why not keep that central heatsink? Why not keep the capability to fire without clips, just at a greatly reduced rate?

Gameplay-wise it makes sense and is a good change, because it makes fighting faster and more dynamic because you have to break cover to reload your favorite weapon or are forced into changing weapons (and thus exposed to other strategies). Lore-wise it doesn't make any sense, especially since it apparently spread throughout the galaxy in less than two years.

I agree it's not super consistent, and I've definitely thought the same thing, but I think it makes like, enough sense. I appreciate that they thought up a fairly decent lore explanation rather than just saying, "eh, actually guns use ammo now". I could buy that there's only enough space in a given gun for one big heatsink or a chambered heatsink ejector system, and so they go with the option that's most useful most of the time.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
They should have made one of the lategame guns in 2 run off the overheat system, just to shut people up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crummelhorn posted:

They should have made one of the lategame guns in 2 run off the overheat system, just to shut people up.
Well, they did get around to it in 3 finally.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People who complain about thermal clips in ME2 are the kids who raised their hand after every single thing the teacher said in class and asked if this was going to be on the test.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
completely removing weapon and armor customization and focusing on some lovely rear end human conspiracy were all bigger issues to me, personally

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also made Jacob's loyalty mission make no sense. His dad has been stranded on a planet for 10 years but thermal clips have only been around for 2? Dude was really ahead of the curve there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Lore-wise it doesn't make any sense

who the loving gently caress gives a gently caress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

It also made Jacob's loyalty mission make no sense. His dad has been stranded on a planet for 10 years but thermal clips have only been around for 2? Dude was really ahead of the curve there.

That was the breaking point for me. I mean, REALLY?!?!? Bioware?>

I stopped having fun after that. If they were so lazy to create that loreonarrative dissonance in my shootmans then they can go get hosed.
Also, why didn't Aria T'Loak want to sex me? I consider that another significant plot hole in the series.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
She did, but she was too tsundere to admit it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mymla posted:

She did, but she was too tsundere to admit it.

b-baka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lord Lambeth posted:

The geth stopped by and dropped some of their sick new weapons down.