Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Where the heck do I find a demon trident if I've cleared the Dungeon to 15, Swamp, Snake, Ork, Elf, and Vaults to 4? I want a trishula.

Slime is available. Crypt should be reasonable since I'm maxed with TSO but I don't think it is likely there will be one there. Start hitting the Depths? I'm nervous about Vaults 5 due to a bad death there recently so I'd prefer to hold off on it for now.

This is the first time I've actually wished Shoals had shown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

WEEDCAT posted:

Where the heck do I find a demon trident if I've cleared the Dungeon to 15, Swamp, Snake, Ork, Elf, and Vaults to 4? I want a trishula.

Slime is available. Crypt should be reasonable since I'm maxed with TSO but I don't think it is likely there will be one there. Start hitting the Depths? I'm nervous about Vaults 5 due to a bad death there recently so I'd prefer to hold off on it for now.

This is the first time I've actually wished Shoals had shown up.

You should be able to find some in Depths.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hell knights are the most common source of demon weaponry outside of extended and usually show up in Depths.

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Thanks for the tips! Took one off a red devil near the entrance to Hell.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Unimpressed posted:

The crawl readme has pretty good compilation instructions. I got it running on the Mac quite easily.

I'm told it's more of a pain on Windows.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I guess having a unix toolchain through xcode helps, yeah, but cygwin would probably give you the tools you need, at least it did 10 years ago when I last used windows

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Following the MSYS2 instructions made it pretty painless, actually.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So I'm playing my first character who makes heavy use of Death Channel and the result is that in pitched battles every action I take provokes like three or four ---More--- prompts to let me know what my spectral hydras did. What's the best way to fiddle with one's RC file to skip past that stuff smoothly?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
code:
show_more = false
Just be sure to Ctrl-P when a lot of non-obvious things are happening. And you can make --more-- messages act as a safeguard by adding lines like:

code:
force_more_message += (shining eye|orb of fire|ancient lich|caustic shrike|juggernaut) comes into view
force_more_message += (Mara|Mennas) comes into view
force_more_message += calcifying dust hits you
force_more_message += You have finished your manual of
force_more_message += Space bends around you
force_more_message += You feel less protected from missiles.
force_more_message += Your transformation is almost over.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just got Tornado castable on my current High Elf. It's such a fun spell, especially with mindelay longbow skills.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Tornado doesn't mess up ranged attacks?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It doesn't seem to. I've only cast it twice on this character. I will double check and report back.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've successfully used a bow and tornado on a high elf.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aw man, I really liked rods. :(

I should stop keeping up with this thread probably.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
So few posts ago I've been asking about advices for my VSAs - thanks @Darox & @LordSloth for hints how to play this bad boy. I was feeling like "nothing can kill me now", so I died soon after on Elf:3, to some unlucky combo of hits. Either way - I scored around 350k points, which was about 120k more than my previous high score few years ago.

Using what I've learned during that game, after few unlucky early deaths, I managed to get the next guy to 480k (http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/zeroDi/morgue-zeroDi-20170101-014254.txt ), which is my best result be far. I managed to clear Spider, Swamp, Desolation of Salt (awesome branch, btw), Elf, Crypt and I ripped on Vaults:5. Holy hell, the damage output there...

I'm wondering now - is MR affecting (in a negative way) the time for the scroll of teleportation to kick in? When I've been trying to run away after the stairs got sealed, it took unusually long amount of time for teleport to kick in (well, it didn't happen before I died few turns after).

So this brings us to the current game - another VSAs, which I was planning to level as a (ideally) short blade + light armour stabber: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/zeroDi/zeroDi.txt

As you will see, I'm level 11 and so far I managed to find:
  • +9 glaive of Amorality {flame, rN+ Int+4}
  • +3 short sword "Ixzifeax" {pierce, rElec rPois rN+}
  • +0 shield "Ehaxann" {rN+ Regen+}
As I've been training short blades, would you guys switch to using the glaive? And if yes - then what next? I've been only using short blades and light armour so far so I don't really know how the rest works. In the last game, I've been jumping between light armour and heavy one but that was mostly "I don't know what I'm doing" type of a thing.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 1, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

Following the MSYS2 instructions made it pretty painless, actually.

Ah, very glad to hear that! Those instructions had a long and painful teething process, so it's nice to hear that they've finally arrived at a good place.

odiv posted:

Aw man, I really liked rods. :(

I should stop keeping up with this thread probably.

I'm guessing you haven't yet tried the new wands/evocables that replaced rods?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure MR doesn't affect anything beneficial you can do to yourself, you just got unlucky with how many turns it took to fire off.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm guessing you haven't yet tried the new wands/evocables that replaced rods?
Nah, not yet. That's why I was saying I shouldn't follow the thread. No sense in getting annoyed for no reason.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

Nah, not yet. That's why I was saying I shouldn't follow the thread. No sense in getting annoyed for no reason.

Makes sense!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

kaaj posted:

As I've been training short blades, would you guys switch to using the glaive? And if yes - then what next? I've been only using short blades and light armour so far so I don't really know how the rest works. In the last game, I've been jumping between light armour and heavy one but that was mostly "I don't know what I'm doing" type of a thing.

You certainly could swap for that weapon at this point - it is really good - but also having that nice shield I probably wouldn't. Keep your eyes peeled for elec short blades, and using a scimitar or whip / demon whip is also an option if they're good. Do ID some of your potions/scrolls.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Updated the dog species to fix the Oka/weapon crosstraining interaction, as well as changed some other stuff around:
-Aptitudes changed to +3 instead of +5; getting a maxed weapon skill by D:4 while only putting 66% XP into it is a tad too fast.
-Attributes changed to 7 Str/7 Int/10 Dex to differentiate it from humans
-Max skill cap changed from 12 to 14 because it was awkward for a bunch of different skills for a stopping point (like most one handed weapons, for example) and because 14 is cleaner from the perspective of being half (rounded up) of 27.

I'll ask around about maybe getting it hosted on expermentals on CBRO after I've confirmed with some playtesting that I didn't break anything accidentally.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing you might want to look into is having acquirement generation for your species (and by extension, god gifts and troves) weigh more heavily towards low-skill spells, weapons, and armor.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
pre:
Goodbye, Ferrinus.

14196656 Ferrinus the Rhythm of Life and Death (level 27, 306/306 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Necromancer on Jan 1, 2017.
             Was a Follower of Uskayaw.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Jan 2, 2017!

The game lasted 12:17:08 (112349 turns).

Best Crawlers -
180.14264220 CabbageHan GrGl-27 escaped with the Orb
181.14233071 Gadrel     MuFE-27 escaped with the Orb
182.14215058 nabalzbhf  HOMo-27 escaped with the Orb
183.14207193 Laraso     DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
184.14202465 PleasingFu CeHu-27 escaped with the Orb
185.14196656 Ferrinus   DsNe-27 escaped with the Orb
186.14066279 Shard1697  FoFi-27 escaped with the Orb
187.14062355 blooo      FeFi-27 escaped with the Orb
188.14038929 Thraspic   MiFi-27 escaped with the Orb
189.14031655 Thraspic   MiFi-27 escaped with the Orb
190.13980537 ragingrage MiGl-27 escaped with the Orb
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//Ferrinus/morgue-Ferrinus-20170102-022919.txt

It took me until Cerebov to realize that Grand Finale was smite-targeted. If I'd known I would've had a way, way easier time with the royal jelly. Also, to my extreme displeasure, I didn't find any of the level 8 necromancies all game, even though I was really hoping for a chance to play around with Infestation. Incredibly, I never found a book with Singularity in it, either.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So.

Rod of Lightning has a ? for its icon in webtiles. (Yes, current version).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Shinino Kage posted:

So.

Rod of Lightning has a ? for its icon in webtiles. (Yes, current version).

It just means there isn't a tile yet.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
All rods were removed, and then discs of storms were replaced with lightning rods. Hence ?. While the way I said it sounds stupid, it's really an entirely new item. Basically, it's a four-charge exp-based evoker like the lamp of fire, that always hits, unlike the original first zap of the lightning rod.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hi. New Crawler here! Already killed 2 characters. :)

I'm enjoying the game so far, even if I haven't even seen the lair yet.

So far, I've played a Demonspawn Abyss Knight, which died to Orc Priests while being chased around by Gastronok.

Following that, I played a Human Fighter which died... to Orc Priests which kept getting people to cover for them in bad room layouts. :negative:

Now, I'm playing a Draconian Berserker which rolled mottled breath/scales. Apparently breathing Napalm on Ogres is a lot more effective than racing them in melee! Now, I'm enjoying this character, I have a question.

How do I deal with Orc Priests if the layout doesn't really allow rushing them? I've had trouble running away too, thanks to long, straight hallways. :shepicide:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sometimes you are going to lose characters to orc priests. It just happens.

If you don't have the ability to nuke them from range; moving out of los should be your priority as their smite is extremely dangerous when you only have ~ 50 hp.

Orcs come in packs. The first time you see an orc - any orc- you should be looking for doors and corners and ways to break los. IMHo.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I've been trying that. (Watched the lets play in the OP plus a few screenshot lets plays). Guess I just got unlucky.

Also, I just felt smart closing a door on a Jelly.

Then the jelly ate the door...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Orc priests and wizards don't have much magic resistance or health, so basically any wand (except slowing) can take care of them.

Sometimes three orc priests are just partying together on d4 though, and that's a cue to go elsewhere. The most important thing about priests is to not let them hide behind anything dangerous (including other priests). Smite obviously hurts, but they can also repeatedly heal the front orc and turn a quick fight into a protracted mess. Priests are jerks, give them respect.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You will need those los skills later in orc 2, shoals, snake pit 4, elf, vaults and zot 5.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Sometime the best strategy is to skip a floor with powerful enemies on it and just come back later once you're more powerful (I have a tab addiction and never do this). Orc priests kill a LOT of my duders, highly recommend running like a bitch from them unless you can pull them to melee range safely until you can eat a bunch of smites.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If a priest comes into view, walking backwards is always relatively safe; either it walks forward to keep sight of you, or it "wastes" a turn smiting and you can get away. Theoretically, it's advantageous to fall back into explored, cleared territory 99% of the time you encounter an enemy though in practice that's tedious enough that I only do it for high danger threats where I would die if a second one wandered in while I was fighting it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When an orc priest enters your LOS early on, you have to stop an evaluate the situation carefully. The best way to deal with a priest is to duck behind a wall and lure them around the corner. They are less likely to spam smite while in melee range. If you're in a wide open area or see multiple priests, retreat to the nearest staircase. As long as you start running away as soon as they entered your LOS you'll be fine since they can't move and smite in the same turn.

Now if you, say, get shafted into the middle of a group of orc priests then you should be burning consumables to not die. Start reading scrolls hoping to find blink or teleport. Its not ideal but being surrounded by priests early on is a death sentence.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I thought the chance to melee attack while next to you was the same as the chance to walk forward while not next to you, so the chance of smiting is constant

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

Vanquished Creatures
10 caustic shrikes

I dunno, I think that vault needed even MORE caustic shrikes! :regd09:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Here lies Yami Fenrir. They got squished by a large rock. :v:

Entirely my fault, too. I had Banish at my disposal. Oh well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat, made it to Zot as a HoMo with some lucky drops but died since I had lost some of my tougher orcs to other fights. I need to be more cautious and focus on getting a good group of named warlords, also need to learn to be more liberal with my smite. I'm close to winning, and I can see the mistakes I've been making, if I can focus on hammering out those weaknesses I should have my first win pretty soon.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

drat, made it to Zot as a HoMo with some lucky drops but died since I had lost some of my tougher orcs to other fights. I need to be more cautious and focus on getting a good group of named warlords, also need to learn to be more liberal with my smite. I'm close to winning, and I can see the mistakes I've been making, if I can focus on hammering out those weaknesses I should have my first win pretty soon.

I'm in the same boat with MiBe right now. I either overextend, or get too conservative with consumable usage. I've gotten anywhere from 2-5 runes about 4-6 times so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does anyone feel like they've ever lost because they overused their consumables? Because I feel like every death I've ever had in this game has, in one way or another, been a consequence of me not using the resources I had and taking unwarranted gambles because of stinginess.

• Locked thread