Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pharmaskittle posted:

Elysium. I don't remember exactly what, but the bad guy's getting blown up by a grenade or bomb going off in an enclosed space on a ship or something.

It doesn't kill him, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I thought that plutonium was so loving toxic, that if you were to touch some you'd be dead before you could lift your finger off it. A guy in a Grateful Dead t shirt told me this so it must be true. :science:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No, you're thinking of dimethyl mercury.

the action isn't actually that fast, but two drops on your skin will kill you within a couple days

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Olothreutes posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get away with way less than that, but it depends on a number of factors. But 11 kg is an insanely large amount. I would expect you'd need 2-3 kg.

It's so loving sense that an 11kg critical mass is only a 4" diameter sphere.

:ironicat:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

Elysium. I don't remember exactly what, but the bad guy's getting blown up by a grenade or bomb going off in an enclosed space on a ship or something.

It was a grenade that Matt Damon was carrying. The space ship gets flipped over, Damon drops the grenade and then you get that splatter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Olothreutes posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get away with way less than that, but it depends on a number of factors. But 11 kg is an insanely large amount. I would expect you'd need 2-3 kg.

If you're being economical with your Plutonium, you can get by with about 5kg, but then you need a heavy tamper (likely U238) and a levitated core, so that the core has more inertia holding it together during the actual fissioning.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It's so loving sense that an 11kg critical mass is only a 4" diameter sphere.

:ironicat:

I got it down to 10.036 kg, which has a radius of 4.945 cm, for a bare sphere. If I surround it with an infinite reflector I can get to 3.975 cm radius, which is 5.213 kg. These values are probably not 100% correct for reasons, but I'm not going to correct them.

You should not try to eat a 10 cm diameter sphere of plutonium.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 1, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Olothreutes posted:

I got it down to 10.036 kg, which has a radius of 4.945 cm, for a bare sphere. If I surround it with an infinite reflector I can get to 3.975 cm radius, which is 5.213 kg. These values are probably not 100% correct for reasons, but I'm not going to correct them.

You should not try to eat a 10 cm diameter sphere of plutonium.

Is this a Kerbal Space Program thread now?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
That's hypnotic, wow. The way he presses with his arms it almost looks intentional. Well, maybe not the landing...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dillbag posted:

:nms: if you cry watching R-rated movies

You forgot the companion GIF.

:nms: :nms:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

What would give you this idea? Parking brakes work equally well in both directions. In most vehicles they're just a cable-actuated drum brake (generally inside the rear discs) which works exactly the same as the rear brakes still to this day found on cheap cars. On a few higher-end vehicles where the rear disc doesn't have the space for this it's an additional cable-actuated caliper.

Odds are that truck was an automatic, and most automatic owners pretend the parking brake doesn't exist 99.99999% of the time, then when they actually need it the cable snaps or it's so far out of adjustment that it doesn't hold.

Technically true, but with every rear-drum brake truck I've owned I can easily drive in reverse with the brake engaged but it there's enough stopping power to stall the motor going forward.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breakfast Feud posted:

Technically true, but with every rear-drum brake truck I've owned I can easily drive in reverse with the brake engaged but it there's enough stopping power to stall the motor going forward.

That's because the reverse gear typically has lower gearing (so the motor provides more torque) than even the first forwards gear.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Breakfast Feud posted:

I laughed at your ignorance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jabor posted:

That's because the reverse gear typically has lower gearing (so the motor provides more torque) than even the first forwards gear.

There was some movie where every single car was a crappy Yugo (this is probably redundant) and they all had to drive them backwards to go up hills.

e:

Apparently it was called Drowning Mona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spkXO4-iQgE

e:e: man i thought it was way older than 2000

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 2, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Jabor posted:

on top of that, the straight cut gear can take more load than the forward helical gears without messing up your gearbox

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

This thread moves fast so sorry for quoting pages back but this happened on the Burlington Skyway in 2014 (a bridge 200 ft over Lake Ontario)

Skyway crash: Judge finds truck driver guilty of dangerous driving

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

No, you're thinking of dimethyl mercury.

the action isn't actually that fast, but two drops on your skin will kill you within a couple days

Or your rubber glove in a few months.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
(They are referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is this a Kerbal Space Program thread now?

Kerbal Nuclear Weapons Program.

(Don't tell anyone but the code to the PAL is "000000".

(Thank God nobody in real life would ever do something that stupid.)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Three-Phase posted:

(Don't tell anyone but the code to the PAL is "000000".

(Thank God nobody in real life would ever do something that stupid.)
That's the kind of combination someone would have on their luggage!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Three-Phase posted:

There's a game like that on Steam but I can't remember the name of it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

"Bye Norway!"

https://youtu.be/WNxHUfGc3gE

"Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America."

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Tumblr of scotch posted:

That's the kind of combination someone would have on their luggage!

I'd make a note to change the combo on my luggage but TSA just kept the loving lock.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Phanatic posted:

Children of a Dead Earth? It's like KSP but with "scientifically accurate" space combat. The upshot is that all the nuclear missile armed combat spacecraft look like cigars with big glowing radiators.
E: a sample screen shot

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 2, 2017

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

xtal posted:

This thread moves fast so sorry for quoting pages back but this happened on the Burlington Skyway in 2014 (a bridge 200 ft over Lake Ontario)

Skyway crash: Judge finds truck driver guilty of dangerous driving

that's my hometown! neat! I can't remember, is the skyway bridge the lift bridge going into Hamilton or is it that newer 6 lane one or whatever?

the lift bridge was my favourite place to hang out as a kid until I got yelled at by the operator for trying to ride it up when a boat was coming.

edit: looking closer at the picture I can see it's the latter bridge

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I remember, Tex Grebner (the guy who shot himself) explained that he did it because he was using a different holster than he normally did. The SERPA he was using requires you to push the button and then pull up on the gun; if you pull up and then push the button, the gun stays locked. Tex was used to a holster with a different mechanism so he pulled, pushed, realized it wasn't coming out and tried to curl his index finger to get more leverage, and so as the gun came out his finger slipped and pulled the trigger.
This is a good description of what happened but in no ways excuses the chain of decisions that led to the ND. Why would you draw C0 from a holster you've literally never used in your life, as part of a speed drill?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
More fun with nuclear weapons:

That's from Eric Schlosser's recent New Yorker article, World War Three, By Mistake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's not entirely accurate. You can pay Microsoft arbitrarily lots of money to support a special snowflake version of an old OS. Its an option militaries and digital controls companies often take because of well developed risk analyses and justified because "well its an internal operating system, we don't need to worry about network vulnerabilities." Its like the same reason electronics used in state of the art military or control equipment have raw specs comparable to consumer PCs from 15-30 years ago.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I would personally be a little horrified to find out military hardware was running an even newer version of Windows than my PC.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It's almost certainly Windows Embedded, and there's a zero percent chance the sub is publically visible on the internet. Nobody is installing internet explorer toolbars on a nuclear sub.

It's also not at all shocking that specialized military equipment is running an older version of Windows than a modern home computer.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It's pretty shocking they're running Windows in the first place...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You trust the military to write its own operating system?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Rascar Capac posted:

More fun with nuclear weapons:

If a ZX81 could run a nuclear power station, Windows XP should be plenty powerful enough for a nuclear submarine. :britain:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Running industrial equipment takes preciously little computation force. Not crashing is key. Also functional programming.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Ruby
On
Rails

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This is Windows! I know this!

*loads up mine sweeper*

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Running Windows in an industrial control environment is fine. Any suggestion that it is inadequate is just someone speaking from a lack of any real, practical experience.

While I cannot say I like that the military is still running XP for things like their submarines, they likely have done a risk assessment and it is far from unlikely that this is an unsupported environment. These systems are unlikely to ever touch the Internet especially when they're below water.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the russians will just drop some USB sticks in the car park by the docks when the submarines are in dock. someone will plug it into the sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
You are assuming that these systems have USB ports let alone any that servicemen will have access to.