Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slim Pickens posted:

Just finished up the Christmas motorcycle! Anyone else get moto toys?

Brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok I finally saw it and that's awesome.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Who's excited about Dakar?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not gear. Not a discussion. Not a question. BUT, It just arrived!

I can feel like a pilot man type person again!

On an unrelated note: I got home and turned back to my bike after opening the garage door; turned back and thought "Man, that's a good looking motorcycle. Love it."

I'm the commuting chicken-strips.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Naked Fz6, best Fz6

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Top ten finish this year?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
She already had a top 10, she needs a top 5 now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

She already had a top 10, she needs a top 5 now.

Sure, but this year there's supposed to be a lot more navigation. It'll be interesting to see if that shakes things up. She also just missed it last year so it's not like she's a shoe-in this year.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I was looking over the footage from last year and found a tragicomic one. Listen for the magical sound of rubbing sinter brakes. Later this day we had to do an emergency replacement of the front brake pads on his bike, as one side was metal to metal. He had just changed brake pads before the trip and had overfilled his reservoir so it got into a heat feedback loop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxr1Ecx2Wy8

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Who's excited about Dakar?

Ooh! Me! Don't normally follow motorsports, but races to places and rally bikes in general has me into this one, even though I know little about it. For instance, I didn't even know that people raced quads in it. Seems super scary.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Bikes, cars, quads and trucks. The Dakar is something else.

If you wanna learn about it from the perspective of a pussy who said he'd do it thinking that he never would, then got held to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4g3BauJmOw

edit: the cars are really trucks and the trucks are fuckin lorries btw. Awesome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Robby isn't in it this year. Makin me so mad. I bought a huge carton of his energy drink last year and saved one a whole year for this Dakar and he's not in it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My father in law got killed on a quad in the Libyan desert doing poo poo like that. This was in '08 or '09 before things there went completely to hell. It seems he went over a dune which was significantly steeper on the lee side and wasn't prepared. He came off the quad and it landed on him, breaking his neck. He was riding alone so it was nearly 12 hours after the accident that they found him and that was only with the help of an aircraft.

In short, riding fast through unfamiliar territory can end very badly.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Sorry to hear about that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOpCpCjDhgE/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Robby isn't in it this year. Makin me so mad. I bought a huge carton of his energy drink last year and saved one a whole year for this Dakar and he's not in it.

He was never going to win anyway, but he was certainly entertaining.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

builds character posted:

He was never going to win anyway, but he was certainly entertaining.
He did have one 3rd place in the time that I've been watching Dakar. But that was back when he had bigger money, I assume, from GM, I assume. Since he drove a "Hummer" at the time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

He did have one 3rd place in the time that I've been watching Dakar. But that was back when he had bigger money, I assume, from GM, I assume. Since he drove a "Hummer" at the time.

Wasn't he also first on the 2wd bandwagon? Once that advantage was gone...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I think it's fascinating that KTM are sponsored by Red Bull, while Husqvarna are sponsored by Rockstar. Maybe that was the idea behind buying Husky, double the energy drink dollars.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

High Protein posted:

I think it's fascinating that KTM are sponsored by Red Bull, while Husqvarna are sponsored by Rockstar. Maybe that was the idea behind buying Husky, double the energy drink dollars.

I assume they're just putting their dollars where they think the publicity/wins are. If Cooper Webb ends up being the second coming then I'm sure he'll get some kind of energy drink sponsor.

E: monster != rockstar. Duh.

E2 but here's rockstar/yamaha.

builds character fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

builds character posted:

E: monster != rockstar. Duh.

When did this picture happen?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Pretty sure it's 2013. I'm wondering why he's wearing a spidi suit though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

Yeah, 2013.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've been binge watching motorcycle road rage compilations on YouTube here lately. I've come to the conclusion a lot of motorcyclists who post to YouTube are turning into Sensitive Susan's. So many of them who post videos get offended at the slightest provocation. And then they make the effort to maintain the confrontation instead of just giving the finger and getting on with life.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah, motorcyclists are morons, this can't surprise you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most people are idiots. Motorcyclists fit in that group as well.

90% of them are doing it for YouTube views, 9.9% are doing it because of their misguided feelings of being wronged, and 0.1% are actually in the right in the situation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coredump posted:

turning into Sensitive Susan's

no, that's just what the vocal minority of the US is becoming

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Happy 2017, goons

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
More strange engined bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vn37YVuy6I

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drat, that Norton F1 has a poo poo load of power for a 1991 bike! Makes me wish modern Wankel engine motorcycles existed.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
:siren: Dakar starts tomorrow! :siren:

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/ktm-450-rally/ Seems like a fun bike.

It's a bike at heart.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
That Puch split single

and KR250 tandem twin

are crazytown.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Nuevo posted:

That Puch split single

That's a mechanical penis.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
suck bang blow?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

suck squish bang blow?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Eagerly awaiting No Prisoners 2016 pt. 2.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nuevo posted:

and KR250 tandem twin

are crazytown.

Seen one of these in person. The packaging and general layout looked a lot less nightmarish in person than it does in the pictures I gotta say.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Nuevo posted:

KR250 tandem twin crazytown.

My RG500 would like to have a word with you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

someone leaked BMW's new-for-2018 lineup

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

everyone posted:

why do I care about this?

That's last year's winner Toby Price. He was a fat little boy who grew up and got gud, then he broke himself and made an astonishing recovery. http://www.redbull.tv/film/AP-1PWVETRT91W11/paying-the-price

That other dude is Stefan Svitko. It's a bit unusual because usually the French and the Spanish are the ones that win Dakar. Svitko came in second last year despite being from Slovakia and not being on a factory team. That's ridiculous. Like if chiche went to race and somehow beat z3n. Ok, maybe slightly more probable than that, but it's still ridiculous. Here he is last year, riding 2/3 of a stage in a wheelie.