Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is some livestream of the PDX's newest title! Starts about 6:45

https://www.twitch.tv/wizzington/v/110990419

I can't help but feel that Marvin got stuck in an ugly echo-chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wiz is just trying to create a crowd of rabid fans to back his Patreon! (Seriously though, the patreon user "Sakimi-Chan" makes over 25k a month for doing Hentai/pin-ups/etc.....)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

how can you complain about an anime of the best/worst ruler of sweden

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

are we down the rabbit hole enough that its "funny" to quasi-lampoon borderline hentai games or

Absolutely.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Also, the game does look legitimately interesting. I've felt for a while that the time-budgeting game format has room for interesting challenges - worked on a project myself about the life of Vlad Dracul - and the card game has potential. It could be actually, unironically fun! Imagine...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zombiepop posted:

And can someone ask some paradox person why the hell they dont use kickstarter? like at all? or am I wrong? I want Victoria 3 and I am willing to pay.
There's no reason to if you already have the money to finance future games?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sindai posted:

Gauges interest, gives you more money, lets you set goals that people can buy into.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

Like literally this

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
What the guy actually wants is just us telling what our secret projects are, which he for some reason thinks that Kickstarting it would make it come quicker.

Or he seriously think that we don't have the money to start our own projects? :smith:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Groogy posted:

What the guy actually wants is just us telling what our secret projects are, which he for some reason thinks that Kickstarting it would make it come quicker.

Or he seriously think that we don't have the money to start our own projects? :smith:

Shame you guys didn't release that Cities Skylines game, you could have made a mint.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Groogy posted:

Your shameful impoverishment is known to all. After failures like CK2 and EU4, well, it's hardly surprising people would expect you to go out, cap in hand, begging for change.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Paradox wouldn't be in this problem if they adopted the Battlefront "10 dollars a patch" plan.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

He just wants Rome 2 & Vicky 3 Groogy :(

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Gauges interest, gives you more money, lets you set goals that people can buy into.

Forces you to post regular updates which only serve to waste your time, forces you to provide a schedule which will inevitably slip, locks you into shipping with all of the features you propose regardless of whether they prove to be good ideas after implementation, allows you to overpromise via stretch goals which aren't actually feasible in your proposed time line

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Paradox is probably swimming in money, they have enough to pay random mod dev teams to make spinoffs of their games, let them run for a year or two, shut them down for no reason, and then steal the features for their own games.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kickstarter Backer Reward: Pledge 1,000 or more and you can dress up as a Soviet General and have an in game leader portrait!

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I'll kickstart for whatever amount of money if I get to set the Germans tank stats to lower values than everyone else's in hoi4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

GrossMurpel posted:

Paradox is probably swimming in money, they have enough to pay random mod dev teams to make spinoffs of their games, let them run for a year or two, shut them down for no reason, and then steal the features for their own games.

Still waiting on a good Cold War game...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

Not sure if unironic or not....

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

b0lt posted:

Forces you to post regular updates which only serve to waste your time, forces you to provide a schedule which will inevitably slip, locks you into shipping with all of the features you propose regardless of whether they prove to be good ideas after implementation, allows you to overpromise via stretch goals which aren't actually feasible in your proposed time line
Well yeah, I was fishing for positives and thats all I could come up with.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Groogy posted:

Not sure if unironic or not....

You have to admit, you'd never have been able to put so much loving care into straits without the code from East vs. West.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zero One posted:

Still waiting on a good Cold War game...

I'm hoping HoI 4 eventually goes down that path with enough expansions - I don't know why considering there is virtually no evidence to support a theory that they will but they did a lot of things with HoI 2 so I'd like to think they'll try again with 4 after 3 tripped out of the gate and suffered badly for it. Also I want them to piss off everyone who is still salty over East vs. West.

In other news, it looks as though Paradox is indeed swimming in money as all of their major releases from 2016 (and some from earlier) all made Steam's top 100 sales list for 2016; Stellaris came in at 13th, EUIV at 29th and HoI 4 is 39th. Hell even Cities: Skylines came in at 33rd. I guess it helps that they compete in genres that don't have a lot of other options unless you're willing to drive into the grognard rabbit hole but here's hoping they keep up the good work.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jazerus posted:

You have to admit, you'd never have been able to put so much loving care into straits without the code from East vs. West.

Straits didn't get much love, I think it is just the hoi3 straits ported over right?
(Never played a lot of hoi3, I prefer good games)

edit: Oh I get the joke now, heh. :doh:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 1, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm hoping HoI 4 eventually goes down that path with enough expansions - I don't know why considering there is virtually no evidence to support a theory that they will but they did a lot of things with HoI 2 so I'd like to think they'll try again with 4 after 3 tripped out of the gate and suffered badly for it. Also I want them to piss off everyone who is still salty over East vs. West.
Hasnt HoI4 tripped really badly too? I have heard from a number of friends that have played it that it is something that needs a year of patches before it will be playable, just like HoI3 was.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In other news, it looks as though Paradox is indeed swimming in money as all of their major releases from 2016 (and some from earlier) all made Steam's top 100 sales list for 2016; Stellaris came in at 13th, EUIV at 29th and HoI 4 is 39th. Hell even Cities: Skylines came in at 33rd. I guess it helps that they compete in genres that don't have a lot of other options unless you're willing to drive into the grognard rabbit hole but here's hoping they keep up the good work.
Yeah I'm pretty sure they are loaded. I didnt realize that they were that high on the list with so many games. Considering EU4 is what, three years old at this point, that is really impressive for it to be at 29th in sales on steam for 2016.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hasnt HoI4 tripped really badly too? I have heard from a number of friends that have played it that it is something that needs a year of patches before it will be playable, just like HoI3 was.

Not at all. At worst there's some dumb stuff the AI does, and the air and naval game are kind of poo poo, micro-y and sort of pointless, but it's definitely playable and fun. Nothing like HOI3's launch.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If I had artistic skills, I'd draw 'The perfidious gaming swede, sitting on his pile of ill gotten gains as he refuses to make Victoria 3 solely to wound the hearts of the world'.

Alas, alas, my manual dexterity is lacking

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There's a big difference, there's bunch of people not happy with how HOI4 turned out to not be HOI3 2.0 and is saying it needs a year of patches to fix that. HOI3 you couldn't play for a year because it wouldn't start, and if it did start it would crash at random intervals.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HoI3 was my first Paradox game.

It's a legitimate miracle I bothered with any of the others.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Jazerus posted:

You got all my respect and sympathies.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jazerus posted:

Hoi 3 is pretty alright if you treat it as a Spanish Civil War game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Victoria II was my first PDS game, followed by HoI3 (I have 2 laying around somewhere but never really played it). Despite both games being "bad" they still scratched an itch that nothing else did and I had somehow managed to pour close to 200 hours into Vicky and some 450+ into HoI3. I may have a problem.

That said, HoI4 has some problems - some of which are worse than others - but but it is still far ahead of the issues that plagued 3 and I have hope they'll be ironed out before long. HoI3 had some pretty fundamental flaws from what it never really could recover from in the end.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Vicky 2 is not bad, it's just misunderstood. :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not at all. At worst there's some dumb stuff the AI does, and the air and naval game are kind of poo poo, micro-y and sort of pointless, but it's definitely playable and fun. Nothing like HOI3's launch.
Huh, I've been told that, for example, the German AI will throw away 100% of its manpower at the Maginot line if it is well defended (e.g. there is any player involvement). Then, because of time passing, Italy will get involved and throw away 100% of its manpower at the French Alps. On top of the naval and air control being backwards and micro heavy and the AI is really bad at that, too.

Groogy posted:

There's a big difference, there's bunch of people not happy with how HOI4 turned out to not be HOI3 2.0 and is saying it needs a year of patches to fix that. HOI3 you couldn't play for a year because it wouldn't start, and if it did start it would crash at random intervals.
Fair enough. I must have gotten onto the HoI3 train after that time-period had passed because I pretty much never had issues with it when I played. I'm not surprised that there are grogs that want HoI3 stuff back....I like a lot of the concepts I have read about that were added in HoI4 and am looking forward to trying them out (like not managing the order of battle/commanders/unit composition).

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Vicky 2 is not bad, it's just misunderstood. :colbert:

A grumpy teen is misunderstood, Vicky 2 is the abusive husband I keep going back to even though my family and friends tells me I am worth better.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Huh, I've been told that, for example, the German AI will throw away 100% of its manpower at the Maginot line if it is well defended (e.g. there is any player involvement). Then, because of time passing, Italy will get involved and throw away 100% of its manpower at the French Alps. On top of the naval and air control being backwards and micro heavy and the AI is really bad at that, too.

It's a lot better than that now that the first couple of patches have hit. Now most of the dumb ai poo poo will be with your allies putting too many planes in your airfields, or garrison ai moving troops around your country on boats that inevitably get sunk, when they could have just used trains. Hugely annoying stuff when it happens, but still nothing like HOI3s brokenness.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My first Paradox game was HoI2, the original version. Then I got Victoria once Revolutions came out.

Both were such good games, but I'm so glad Paradox has realized that games can be simplified in parts and complex in others.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Why is it totally impossible to get immigrants as democratic Mexico?
USA gets about 6k immigrants, British satellite Canada and Brazil both over 4k, but my democratic Mexico with literally all social and political reforms enacted, no militancy and plenty of available jobs both in factories and RGOs gets 0. Literally no-one wants to move here. I get that USA is more attractive but Canada and Brazil are both monarchies, with zero social progress since game start. Brazil still allows slavery and still it's almost as attractive as USA. I've looked over the wiki, but I can't find any reason why everyone hates Mexico.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
My first Paradox game was Svea Rike 3 :toot:

But then I think EU2 was on the same cd? So I played that shortly afterwards.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Chickpea Roar posted:

USA gets about 6k immigrants, British satellite Canada and Brazil both over 4k, but my democratic Mexico with literally all social and political reforms enacted, no militancy and plenty of available jobs both in factories and RGOs gets 0. Literally no-one wants to move here. I get that USA is more attractive but Canada and Brazil are both monarchies, with zero social progress since game start. Brazil still allows slavery and still it's almost as attractive as USA. I've looked over the wiki, but I can't find any reason why everyone hates Mexico.

Someone has a liberty national value, and it isn't Mexico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Chickpea Roar posted:

Because there is tons of hard coding for how people should migrate and move in the scripts. Just like how it is hard coded that all of Italy's population should be exterminated in case you don't form Italy. Or my favorite, get instant game over because an AI pressed the "Form Germany" button.

I think you are gonna need a war to break out somewhere in high populated areas if you want to get immigrants.

It's not until CK2 we started being way more dynamic with how we design our scripts and go on more values than directly "You are USA so here is a +1000% migration bonus".

TL;DR: If you are playing Vicky2 and not one of the big name nations then expect to not be playing by the same rules like everyone else. Also you will probably be majorly hosed if you are not good at exploiting the game mechanics.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 1, 2017