Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those exhausts fit the lines of the bike so nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Greased chain. Oil and filter change. Never doing that outdoors in high wind again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gassed everything up so the tanks don't rust over the coming frozen helltime.

Also removed the rm250 front end from my F11 so I can put it back to stock and maybe make a vintage supermoto out of it? Have a ton of stuff to figure out first though, like a 6v to 12v conversion and whatnot.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Finished off my new R/R for the SV650

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't decide if putting tyres on skinny spoked wheels is worse than oiling foam air filters or not. Both are goddamn terrible and it's like that + hilarious service intervals are the price MX bikes pay for being better than normal bikes in every other way.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Bought a Duke 390, less than 700 miles on it and I get an industrial staple in the back tire. Brought in for first service and they charged me 15$ to have the tire mounted and balanced while in for service. That was right before Christmas.

Yesterday I bought and changed out the tires on the bandit. (Back to the Michelin Pilot Road 4) This morning I was going around the neighborhood on a slow scrub in run and shakedown, when I get a piece of metal road debris in the rear tire. Thankfully it just pierced through the edge of the tread and not through the tire, plus I was going slow enough that I heard it hitting as I was riding and stopped immediately to figure out where the noise was coming from.

There are days I hate life and happenstance.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm doing a coolant flush on my CBR today.

The hard part will be putting all that plastic back on.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Replaced the, nearly, 8 year old battery. It almost made it to 50,000 miles. I think the recent cold snap finally did it in. Luckily, Cyclegear had a yuasa on the shelf. Had them fill and charge it for me yesterday, then rode out there today and swapped it in the parking lot.
If forgot what a starter with full juice cranking into it sounds like.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
wiring modifications involving:
nannies' redundant wiring removed from harness/head wiring re-organized/rewrapped.
tail lamp wiring from airbox back replaced. drc-edge rebuilt.
rectifier wiring moved and cleaned up.
hazard/ turn indicator wiring moved to "park light" circuit.
new chain, swingarm pivot grease service.

16 thou on the 470 so far.
http://imgur.com/a/V8r10

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of tyres are those CSB? TKC80?

I just stuck TKC80-equivalent shinkos (based on a shitload of reviews they're meant to be 90% as good) on the KTM and I'm very pleased,. They lean just as far as the contis and have comparable tarmac grip, but I'll have to exercise a lot of restraint to avoid destroying them on the road by wheelspinning everywhere. Brief trip onto grass and gravel and they seemed pretty decent but I'm not a dirtbike person so IDK.

Also replaced all my lovely mismatched plastic fasteners, replaced grips, put on spoke covers. Getting there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
T63s. they work great on fatter bikes. on this guy, eh. they're alright.

surprised at how well they did on this clay/sand/dirt/salt poo poo over holiday break.

I'm gonna spoon on some k270s for the next go round. hated em on the heavy poo poo.. curious how they'll do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That certainly gives me confidence in my decision. Are these sorts of tyres worth a drat at all?

Seems like they'd be slightly worse than a normal road tyre on the road and absolutely useless on anything resembling offroad but maybe I'm underestimating the engineering cleverness of tread design?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd wheel em. but I'm retarded so..

the wife has a gripster rear/t63 on his dr650, friend has gripsters on his klr. they both dropped a lot on that mud (to be expected) but anywhere else they were fine with just airing down.

I generally run knobbier than everybody else as I get scout/help/firstaid duties, and supermoto tires for actual road riding... Yet I prefer knobbies to SM on the street because of the afore mentioned drain bamage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd wheel em. but I'm retarded so..

the wife has a gripster rear/t63 on his dr650, friend has gripsters on his klr. they both dropped a lot on that mud (to be expected) but anywhere else they were fine with just airing down.

I generally run knobbier than everybody else as I get scout/help/firstaid duties, and supermoto tires for actual road riding... Yet I prefer knobbies to SM on the street because of the afore mentioned drain bamage.

Right, so it's not just me. I need to hurry the gently caress up and road register the bike, cause riding it briefly on tarseal I learnt that even totally rooted old knobbies are terrifying above ~70km/h but amazing at lower speeds.

It felt like IRL GTA, or like driving a hosed old commodore V8 with ten year old australian tyres, or a grimy turbodiesel van with an LSD (or on lsd). Crap but awesome.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
New starter relay for the DRZ.

Of all things to die...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Time for the kickstarter kit from the E model

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Time for the kickstarter kit from the E model

yup. just retain some kind of decomp otherwise lol

assembly complete. good for another 6 mos of abuse.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Rebuilt the front brake caliper. One of the pistons was seized pretty bad so I had to use the grease gun trick. worked nicely and wasn't that bad to clean out with it being a 2 piston single sided nissin caliper. You really want air available to help move the grease out afterwards though.

First time I've rebuilt a caliper, took a while, but learned a lot. like that mid 90s honda banjo bolts are m10 (or was it m12?) but has finer threads than normal bolts. Had to plug a banjo with solder to use the grease gun.

Take your time with the caliper in place on the bike and verify that all pistons move. 8 bar on the air hose was only enough to move one of the pistons. Pistons was okay, there was just a bit of dirt that had gotten past the real old dust seals which was disintegrating.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Completed the rebuild of the front brakes today. Hit a little snag when changing to the new brake disc as one of the bolts was missing it's head. Cut a slot for a screwdriver and got it loose. I seem to remember that the torc spec on the bolts felt abit high according to the Haynes manual when I swapped rims some years ago. I'll order me some new bolts and replace the lot later. For now the disc is on with 5 out of 6 bolts so I could mount, fill the system and bleed it properly.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Removed passenger pegs, made a pattern for an exhaust hanger and had my dad make it out of stainless steel. Not 100% happy with it so might rethink it, and powder coat the next one black.

Tail tidy, with giant billboard of a plate and its accompanying R plate. Stupid law's.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Pinny posted:

Removed passenger pegs, made a pattern for an exhaust hanger and had my dad make it out of stainless steel. Not 100% happy with it so might rethink it, and powder coat the next one black.

Not a bad start. Next version I agree w/ powdercoating black, might also want to try making it slightly thinner and having the cutouts follow the line the hanger takes from frame to exhaust and not parallel with the back edge of the hanger

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Not a bad start. Next version I agree w/ powdercoating black, might also want to try making it slightly thinner and having the cutouts follow the line the hanger takes from frame to exhaust and not parallel with the back edge of the hanger

This, plus have the holes scale with the widening hanger.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

That certainly gives me confidence in my decision. Are these sorts of tyres worth a drat at all?

Seems like they'd be slightly worse than a normal road tyre on the road and absolutely useless on anything resembling offroad but maybe I'm underestimating the engineering cleverness of tread design?

One of my gs Alaska trip bros ran those 2 up fully loaded through Yukon construction, he would not stop raving about them.

I trashed a pair of Avons but his contis lasted.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

One of my gs Alaska trip bros ran those 2 up fully loaded through Yukon construction, he would not stop raving about them.

I trashed a pair of Avons but his contis lasted.

How was his grip on dirt?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It was fine. Golf ball sized wet gravel was a problem. But it was a problem for the Avons too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's new final drive day!!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Installed the OEM quickshifter onto my 2015 VFR800f.

Installation was pretty easy compared to an aftermarket part (there's already a plug ready to plug into the QS), however HONDA decided a lovely over-engineered collar was a great way to attach a wire halfway into the engine and behind the main coolant pipe. After loving around with it for a good 30 mins, I realised a zip tie would get the same (and probably better) result with no hassle. 2 mins later and it was finished.

Works really well as far as I can tell. Smooth at really low and really high RPMs, a little more bumpy at mid-throttle. Took some getting used to, but now I'm constantly looking for spots to open it up and just smash through the gears.

The shape of the pedal will take some getting used to, there's now a plate on the inside to keep you from touching the rest of the shifter.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
2 days of swearing, gnashing of teeth, and hammering of fingers and I finally got the baffles/db killers out of the exhaust.

Just need to rub down the inner surface of the cans, and the outer surface of the cups on the end of the baffles to make them easier to get in and out, and find some small-ish bolts to secure them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
^^^How loud is it now?

Finally fixed my 690 dash. Display started deteriorating in November, and hasn't displayed anything since early December. White (conductive?) powder everywhere inside.

Ew.

Success! Forgot what a luxury a working display was. :(

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I had that dash replaced under warranty once for that issue already, it's loving BS that the replacement unit did the exact same thing. It's dust from the plastic rubbing inside the casing due to engine vibes. I had to have it replaced around 1200-1500 miles, everything but the tach was basically useless.

edit: you have any KTM dealers near you? feed them the VIN and see if the mothership is willing to replace the cluster again given that it's been done once already and is still exhibiting the white dust issue. I wasn't under warranty when they replaced it, it was a good faith thing. Maybe they'll do the same again for you.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 17, 2017

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Coydog posted:

^^^How loud is it now?

Not loud enough to be unbearable for puttering around in 30 - 40mph zones. Has a bit of a drone between 4-5000rpm though, but I think that wont be noticeable with earplugs in. I think its a bit quieter than the MT/FZ07's underslung akra, sounds a bit smoother and less aggressive than it too.

It's loud enough to make me feel like a massive prick when blipping the throttle though, so probably just about loud enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

^^^How loud is it now?

Finally fixed my 690 dash. Display started deteriorating in November, and hasn't displayed anything since early December. White (conductive?) powder everywhere inside.

Ew.

Success! Forgot what a luxury a working display was. :(

Did you bind it to the PCB with epoxy? Cause that's how you wanna really fix it.

(details: http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?128617-Fixing-KTM-690-2008-2010-Speedometer-Fogging-and-Flickering )

alr
May 14, 2009
I bought a rear stand.

I should have bought one sooner, entirely worth it for making GBS threads around with the chain.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the plastic work on my Ninja finally and posted it for sale...off to buy a jack for the Shadow so I can wrench on it in my living room sitting on my couch this winter.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

46w draw down to ~5w. That'll make the stator a little happier.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Finally got to ride it for the first time in two months. Either I'm really lucky or the internet warnings about winterizing are way overblown. After sitting outside in a crappy cover, all that'd changed was the tires were down about 1 psi each, and it started up instantly with a bit of choke.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put some OEM heated grips on it. poo poo's toasty. I also have a new top box to throw on it, but the mount doesn't arrive for about a week.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Finished up the fork seal job on the EX500. Also cleared out the schmutz that the left mainjet seems to keep accumulating. I installed a fuel filter, I dipped the carbs for a week, where does this poo poo keep coming from.

Hopefully selling it tomorrow.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Went to check the chain tension for the first time, and realized the previous owner had only been tightening the left-side tensioner. This made for some interesting rear wheel alignment. :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
According to my phone GPS I went 58mph on my XR100 today