Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

serious gaylord posted:

The Emil-1 is a bit of an arsehole to deal with when its top tier. Even more so if its working a ridge line and isnt driven by a moron.

Having literally zero weakpoints on an unpennable turret isn't very good gameplay, Wargaming. At least tier 10s and a lot of 9s can just slam the Emil I in the turret with HEAT and mostly pen, but the Emil II is functionally immortal hull down outside of like tier 10 TDs and high pen rolls on other tier 10 gold unless they expose their turret roof by sloping down too much. Fortunately their gun has a long reload and bad soft stats so at least it has to expose itself for long periods of time to output damage.

lol jk it's got an autoloader so it'll just spew off four shots in ten seconds, pen 3 of the 4 and then gently caress off while artillery misses.

Darkrenown posted:

Bought an E4 today and holy poo poo the default ammo loadout is 5AP/22HE. I wonder how many players don't change that?

Almost every tier ten has absurd ammo loadouts like that. At least the E4 has a reasonably substantial HE shell? 1100 alpha ain't no joke. One of the mediums I think has like 30 HE shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Nordick posted:

The most aggravating thing is that you can hit an external module, resulting in precisely fuckall of an effect, and the game has the loving audacity to call it a critical hit.

Hit a tank in the side, citical hit! Okay so now his track is yellow and maybe a bit more prone to breaking on the next hit, but he's otherwise completely unharmed and unhindered and THAT IS NOT WHAT "CRITICAL" MEANS WARGAMING YOU ARE TRIGGERING MY GAMER AUTISM

9 times out of 10, I take "critical hit" to mean, "haha, gently caress you."

serious gaylord posted:

The Emil-1 is a bit of an arsehole to deal with when its top tier. Even more so if its working a ridge line and isnt driven by a moron.

I was fighting an Emil I working a ridge on Redshire last night in my Patriot, and I'm not even sure wtf you're supposed to do in that situation. He wasn't really penning me consistently, but I sure as hell wasn't penning him. He had to show maybe 1/3 of his turret, and all of it was well armored at 50+ degrees.

I would have rushed him if it had been a 1v1, but it was not.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

M.C. McMic posted:

9 times out of 10, I take "critical hit" to mean, "haha, gently caress you."

I was fighting an Emil I working a ridge on Redshire last night in my Patriot, and I'm not even sure wtf you're supposed to do in that situation. He wasn't really penning me consistently, but I sure as hell wasn't penning him. He had to show maybe 1/3 of his turret, and all of it was well armored at 50+ degrees.

I would have rushed him if it had been a 1v1, but it was not.

You literally turn around and don't allow the Emil to do anything and tell your teammates to also ignore the Emil and hope they listen. You can do nothing yourself to a hulldown tank with that kind of sloping, raw armor and gun depression. I guess you can hope your arti both targets the Emil and manages to hit them?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Hellsau posted:

You literally turn around and don't allow the Emil to do anything and tell your teammates to also ignore the Emil and hope they listen. You can do nothing yourself to a hulldown tank with that kind of sloping, raw armor and gun depression. I guess you can hope your arti both targets the Emil and manages to hit them?

My teammates actually turned out to be competent in this particular case. So, they flanked while I side-scraped the boulder in the NE. We killed everyone else, then the Emil.

edit: I was also drawing the attention of an IS-3 who penned me 3/4 times. I'm gonna go back and watch the replay because I'm pretty sure he couldn't see anything other than my turret and was firing AP. So, I don't know.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am not sure what exactly WG was thinking when desining the swedish line.

The TDs would have been equally unpenable in a good position. And the HT are just an insult because the only thing for you to do if it peeks you over a ridgeline is to slam the breaks and drive backwards.

Hey but I am not complaining. 50B got a buff and I love my 50B.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

The TDs would have been equally unpenable in a good position. And the HT are just an insult because the only thing for you to do if it peeks you over a ridgeline is to slam the breaks and drive backwards.

Hey but I am not complaining. 50B got a buff and I love my 50B.

The TDs aren't even close to as unpennable due to overmatch. The Emil 1's turret is 180mm at 45 degrees or 150mm at 58 degrees, plus gun depression sloping. The UDES is 20mm at 80something degrees, and 20mm of armor is just not enough to avoid getting overmatched by basically everything. The Emil II's turret is 215mm at 55ish degrees plus gun depression sloping. The Strv 103-0 is 40mm at 80something which is much better, but anything 120mm or better will overmatch everything except those track links on the front, AND it has a big ol' 15mm dome on top for everything else.

The tier ten TD has a little fence which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen put into World of Tanks because apparently a tiny fence makes the tank immortal to most things unless they just shoot at the gap near the gun, so I guess the tier 10 TD could have done what the tier 8 through 10 heavies could do with a lot less work.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Michaellaneous posted:

The same think they almost always think when adding a new line: "Durrr, let's make the top tanks gamebreakingly OP so people will spend gold rushing them!!!"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hellsau posted:

The TDs aren't even close to as unpennable due to overmatch. The Emil 1's turret is 180mm at 45 degrees or 150mm at 58 degrees, plus gun depression sloping. The UDES is 20mm at 80something degrees, and 20mm of armor is just not enough to avoid getting overmatched by basically everything. The Emil II's turret is 215mm at 55ish degrees plus gun depression sloping. The Strv 103-0 is 40mm at 80something which is much better, but anything 120mm or better will overmatch everything except those track links on the front, AND it has a big ol' 15mm dome on top for everything else.

The tier ten TD has a little fence which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen put into World of Tanks because apparently a tiny fence makes the tank immortal to most things unless they just shoot at the gap near the gun, so I guess the tier 10 TD could have done what the tier 8 through 10 heavies could do with a lot less work.

I said "Would have been." If the new overmatch mechanics would have been implemented.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

The same think they almost always think when adding a new line: "Durrr, let's make the top tanks gamebreakingly OP so people will spend gold rushing them!!!"

Having played for years this is pretty much how it goes.

New thing comes out and is OP

New thing stays OP long enough to get people to pay to get it.

Nerf it as the slow people arrive but still leave it in a pretty great state to get some more cash incase someone was feeling reluctant. This also helps deal with the people getting shot by the OP tank.

Then nerf it into balance, maybe even a little too far.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Hellsau posted:

I played against a UDES yesterday in my Patton KR. tanks.gg tells me that I should basically pen it everywhere due to overmatch, but I tracked it once and bounced off it three times, sniping from a distance at the front of the TD. So, maybe I was just really unlucky and hit those two tiny patches of slightly thicker armor on either side of the upper hull.

edit:

Richard Bong posted:

Nerf it as the slow people arrive but still leave it in a pretty great state to get some more cash incase someone was feeling reluctant. This also helps deal with the people getting shot by the OP tank.

Yep, tier 9 & 10 Czech tanks, coming right up!

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 1, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mirthless posted:

Is the IS-6 still good? And is it really as bad at earning credits as I've heard? I have a shitload of gold and I'm trying to decide on a premium tank.

Disclaimer - I played a few dozen games in September, and other than that haven't played in 18 months.

In September I played about 6 games in the IS-6 and found it to still be a very solid tank, especially when it's top tier, and as far as I know it still gets preferential match-making (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I never saw any T10's in my 6 games anyway. If you play it properly it can make plenty of credits, but if you use lots of gold ammo it won't make a lot, but should still turn a profit unless you miss a lot or don't pen.

In general it feels like a much better tank if you want to actually win games, than the KV-5, even though I still love playing the KV-5, shooting all the gold, all the time, because gently caress it, that's what it's for.

I also picked up a Rudy and had a pretty good time playing it during that little stint in September, and it is a good solid tank, but not as good at making money because it's lower tier.

Edit: Mesadoram or anyone else still in NDP. Is there anyone semi-active in NDP for invites? I have no idea if I'll ever come back to the game, but if so my old clan is dead, so I think I'd like to get crying Lenin back on my tank, so I'd like to park my butt back in NDP if that's a possibility.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 1, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Didn't they delay the overmatch changes precisely because the test server was full of unpennable sweedish td's spewing out 5000 damage games?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't they delay the overmatch changes precisely because the test server was full of unpennable sweedish td's spewing out 5000 damage games?

No they delayed the overmatch changes because it made tanks like the Obj 140 or IS-3 have way better turrets because their roofs became invulnerable, plus the whole FV183 bouncing off of 1mm of armor thing. Also because more ricochets off of thin armor is the exact opposite thing that World of Tanks needed, there's no reason that you should be bouncing off of AMX 12ts with giant doom cannons or whatever.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm glad they didn't make IS-3's more bullshit.

Just saying, as a relatively new player that tank is probably the most infuriating one in the game. Its like I finally work out where to shoot the thing and then in the next game the same spot bounces everything.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

the 103 was loving garbage even with 76° autobounce. siege mode is completely crippling

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Richard Bong posted:

It's weird though, because some new lines are mostly garbage. Are they just terrible at balance? Do they try to alternate OP and poo poo lines so they can say on average things are balanced? Do they try to make them all OP but are poo poo at it? Like the second Russian TD line had all the cool top guns removed in testing and were basically poo poo. The top Jap heavies are poo poo, all the UK trees aren't poo poo, but none of them were OP either (and could HESH not be more interesting than higher-pen HE?). The Patriot and the French patrioty thing are basically the best T8 tanks in the game, but the new Waffle is a turd. The e-25 is gamebreakingly good and was removed, but then it was on sale twice again during Xmas, but the special new tank, the KV-122, is awful. Every change is so loving slow. Why?

Sometimes I wish I could go work on WoT, because it seems like there's so many simple changes that's make the game so much better, and I have to imagine you'd make more money selling more premiums for $10-20 and/or "premiuming" your regular tanks for a gold cost than trying to sell $50-100 packages all the time - but at the same time surely they can't just be idiots? Is there some problem or policy-maker which prevents these things being improved? It's baffling.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Is there some problem or policy-maker which prevents these things being improved? It's baffling.

i've gotten the impression that their management got super hosed up when they went on that massive hiring/acquisition spree after WOT hit it big and they haven't recovered since

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Darkrenown posted:

Are they just terrible at balance?

Yes.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
CDC is bad? Lmao shitters itt

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The Emil is absurd. I can do way more against a hull down T32 than I can an Emil 1, and the Emil is way more dangerous. I'm sitting on a few hundred thousand free exp from several years ago and if I started to play the game again I'd probably skip right to the Emil 1.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

SU-85B confirmed best, Kolobanov medal from enemy helpfully trying to cap one at a time, :feelsgood: after 3 straight losses tier 6 while doing over 1000 damage in each
Also I managed to buy a T54E1 and grind out the good parts, tank now p strong. Only 220,000 to a T57 which is probably a Bad Tank by now?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

SU-85B confirmed best, Kolobanov medal from enemy helpfully trying to cap one at a time, :feelsgood: after 3 straight losses tier 6 while doing over 1000 damage in each
Also I managed to buy a T54E1 and grind out the good parts, tank now p strong. Only 220,000 to a T57 which is probably a Bad Tank by now?

The T57 is fine, it's just outclassed in versatility by the 50B and the Swedish tier 10 autoloader heavy has a good turret for hulldown. The T57 still clips out in six seconds for 1600 damage, which ain't nothing, but HEAT is real garbage and the 50B is so drat fast that I prefer the 50B for basically every situation that matters.

The T54E1 is super good though, better in-tier than the T57 is.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

give the T54E1 another 500 HP and it'd be a better T10 too

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

give the T54E1 another 500 HP and it'd be a better T10 too

255 APCR pen is kind of terrible for tier 10 but yeah the T54E1 can actually get places while the T57 is just a little too sluggish. Of course, the thing World of Tanks need is less autoloaders and other burst damage, not more.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

May it be that the T57 is just an overarmored medium?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I unlocked/bought the Hellcat and free-xp'd the modules. Is it any fun? I'm guessing I want to peak ridges and basically never be shot at.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

M.C. McMic posted:

I unlocked/bought the Hellcat and free-xp'd the modules. Is it any fun? I'm guessing I want to peak ridges and basically never be shot at.

hellcat is the best tank in the line

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The old t49 might have been better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

M.C. McMic posted:

One of the Hellcat's strong points is mobility. Don't forget that you have it, and can relocate across the map to react to the flow of the battle, and never be where they expect you to be.

I have fairly weak stats in the Hellcat because it was the very first tank line I went down, but it was still a fantastic experience and I still have it in my garage.

Now, take the same gun, plop it on a much slower heavy tank, which is a much better gun platform (better stats all around on the gun, and fantastic at firing on the move), and add a few thousand battles in experience to the mix, and you have my time in the M6, which is probably my all time favorite tank in the game.

Really, from the M6 on, the entire US heavy line is fantastic, or at least used to be.

Hrmm.. I got off on a bit of a tangent there didn't I. :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The old t49 might have been better.

The T49 was awesome, no doubt. What did they do to it, since you say 'old' T49?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

The Locator posted:

One of the Hellcat's strong points is mobility. Don't forget that you have it, and can relocate across the map to react to the flow of the battle, and never be where they expect you to be.

The counterpoint to this, and the thing you absolutely have to keep in mind is that that mobility comes at the cost of literally all armor. It's easy to get yourself out of trouble in the Hellcat, but it's also incredibly easy to overextend and get into trouble that you can't easily escape and a hellcat without an escape route is going to die very very quickly.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
My first game in the Hellcat, I didn't realize how drat slow it goes in reverse and got obliterated. I had an opportunistic shot on a scout, fired thinking I would back down a relatively shallow hill, and when I started backing up, I was like, "uh oh..." Kaboom.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
The hellcat's acceleration issues really make it feel like a chore to play it, imo. I really just don't like it. I feel like I got bait and switched after the T67, esp. with how hyped up the Hellcat is.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you are halfway decent at the game get the M4 Rev. If you are poo poo and wanna spend some money get the M4 Liberte in the shop for real money.

If you are stupid enough to drive turretless TDs get the SU 122 44. If you don't mind lower tier get the Curchchill 3.

And if you want something kinda mediocre but okay get the T34.

I went with the SU-122-44, I was due to renew my premium time and figured it couldn't hurt to have plenty of gold left over. I've got a JgTig 8.8, a Black Mutz, a Ripper Patton and this thing now. I think I'm good on gold earners!

I'm not really sure how to play this tank just yet and I think it's going to take some getting used to but I loving hated the jgtig more than anything when I first bought it (I had a total loving meltdown lol) and now it's my favorite tank :shrug:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think the old Hellcat was better in-tier than the old T49. The old T49 would run into games where it just didn't have enough ammo to carry and against some t7s the low alpha and limited APCR pen hurt it. The old Hellcat was basically a super stealthy medium and its APCR did better against 8s than the T49's did against 7s.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Locator posted:

Is there anyone semi-active in NDP for invites? I have no idea if I'll ever come back to the game, but if so my old clan is dead, so I think I'd like to get crying Lenin back on my tank, so I'd like to park my butt back in NDP if that's a possibility.

Post your account name and I'll invite you later today.

Darkrenown posted:

Sometimes I wish I could go work on WoT, because it seems like there's so many simple changes that's make the game so much better, and I have to imagine you'd make more money selling more premiums for $10-20 and/or "premiuming" your regular tanks for a gold cost than trying to sell $50-100 packages all the time - but at the same time surely they can't just be idiots? Is there some problem or policy-maker which prevents these things being improved? It's baffling.

You're free to go once CK2 is "done" lol. Anyways, my theory is that Wargaming is too Russian for their own good. They tell the people what they want instead of listening and think that everything should be as difficult and counter-intuitive as possible in order to authentically simulate the experience of Russian misery.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 1, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Locator posted:

I have fairly weak stats in the Hellcat because it was the very first tank line I went down, but it was still a fantastic experience and I still have it in my garage.

Now, take the same gun, plop it on a much slower heavy tank, which is a much better gun platform (better stats all around on the gun, and fantastic at firing on the move), and add a few thousand battles in experience to the mix, and you have my time in the M6, which is probably my all time favorite tank in the game.

Really, from the M6 on, the entire US heavy line is fantastic, or at least used to be.

Hrmm.. I got off on a bit of a tangent there didn't I. :v:

The T49 was awesome, no doubt. What did they do to it, since you say 'old' T49?

doesnt the new version have worse camo and view range? cause it was basically invisible firing from behind a bush, even into 120meters

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to ask such a basic question, I've reinstalled the game and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to direct research to the next tank in my tree (IS-3). I can research components in my existing tank - do I need to have all of them researched before I can research the next tank? Thanks and sorry again.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Just the ones directly in line between the current tank and the next.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Just the ones directly in line between the current tank and the next.

Ah poo poo. Thanks. How do I see my current pool of experience? I can't find it anywhere.

e: Nvm there it is. Thanks.

e2: Are the mods in the OP still relevant or are there a couple must-have mods now that aren't there?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 2, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Redshire, Tier 9 game. I'm in a VK4502 B with a crippled Engine. They have 3 tanks left, 1 scout, and 2 arty who using remarkable brainpower have clearly run away from their usual spot. We have 4 tanks left, 2 mediums, myself and a T49 and we've just got to their cap circle as the enemy scout started capping.

What do you think my team did? Did they:

a) Go back to our base, kill the scout and then chase the artillery. Win the game comfortably and get showered in XP and credits.
b) Chase artillery until the enemy team win by capping while I sob into my keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Well the shock unexpected answer would be a) so that one?