Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern linebacker Anthony Walker becomes the first NU player in 20 years to declare for the draft before his senior year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

quoting this from two pages ago because Jesse Ertz rules
https://twitter.com/paulpabst/status/814296996454531072
https://twitter.com/JSisco16/status/814872686056902656

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Benne posted:

If he was just a second-round pick, or even late first-rounder who got a chance to sit and learn, there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash.

People talking him up as a top-5 pick and Week 1 starter is just ludicrous. It's Blake Bortles all over again.

Bortles was a top 25 pick which made sense at the time. Trubisky should undoubtedly be a top 100 pick but this draft class is incredibly weak for QBs so he'll likely rise due to his arm.

But we still gotta wait on the combine and the personal workouts before we get a clear idea on how teams value him, not pundits. Pundits are just people who put out their opinion. When I say he should undoubtedly be a top 100 pick, that's an opinion. Doesn't mean it's true. And pundits are just as susceptible to hivemind mentalities. If every other pundit is saying this guy is a top 10 pick, a lot of guys will jump on that. Then as soon as a bunch start saying he's falling out of the top 10, that's what everyone else says too.

At some point during the draft process everyone should realize these are a bunch of 20-24 year old kids that are still developing their bodies and skillsets, and many can succeed or bust on a whim regardless of where they're picked. Except Hackenberg.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wonder how far a broken Chad Kelly will fall. I'm convinced someone would have talked themselves into him at some point in the first round if he was healthy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

Wonder how far a broken Chad Kelly will fall. I'm convinced someone would have talked themselves into him at some point in the first round if he was healthy.

he has the most important stat in college ball - wins over bama, that counts for a ton

I actually might go try to find who the last QB is to beat bama twice because it's been a while. tebow probably
edit: ha, it's Jordan Jefferson with ls
vvv Dang yea, OK

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 31, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

I actually might go try to find who the last QB is to beat bama twice because it's been a while. tebow probably

Jarrett Lee/Jordan Jefferson, when LSU would use them both in the same games.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/119570/how-to-beat-alabama-by-the-only-active-qbs-whove-done-it

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ulmont posted:

Jarrett Lee/Jordan Jefferson, when LSU would use them both in the same games.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/119570/how-to-beat-alabama-by-the-only-active-qbs-whove-done-it

These are dark times indeed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trubisky ended the game yesterday throwing like six gorgeous touchdown passes and five of them were dropped.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

loving lmao

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/815364752968978432

I would say Baalke would draft him in the second. But not anymore.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

FizFashizzle posted:

Trubisky ended the game yesterday throwing like six gorgeous touchdown passes and five of them were dropped.

Hmm seems like an NFL caliber QB would have made the WRs catch the ball.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
With the Browns clinching the 1 spot, what does the top-5 look like (assuming Niners, Bears, Jags & Rams)?

e: for players, not teams.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 1, 2017

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
We done it! Almost winning that game five different times was oh so browns, but they managed to hang on and keep their eyes on the prize. We're number one!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

We done it! Almost winning that game five different times was oh so browns, but they managed to hang on and keep their eyes on the prize. We're number one!

It's refreshing that we're starting to lock in the pick order. On a side note I wonder how many top 15 picks are going to tank their stock to avoid playing for the Browns

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hope theres a good tackle available so the panthers can take a fat slow wr or rb. Maybe a linebacker this time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

I hope theres a good tackle available so the panthers can take a fat slow wr or rb. Maybe a linebacker this time.

There are like 2 decent tackles this year.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers are in a good spot. You gotta think either Cam Robinson, Fournette, Jamal Adams or one of the top corners all end up available at 8. I know they usually go best player available, but it has to be one of those guys or trade back a few spots. At 8, they will likely have some people wanting to move up for snag Trubisky/Kizner.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

The panthers have like 56 mill in cap space and currently spend under 20million on the offensive line as a unit. There's an undoubted need for them to splash some cash on the position but their guards will both need extensions soon and KK Short is up for money.

Here's a current list of the LT free agents
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

Whitworth is the best available and he's 35. Will Beaty and Reiff are the only other name guys and Reiff hasn't been healthy and got moved to RT.

They're gonna have to draft someone.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Doltos posted:

It's refreshing that we're starting to lock in the pick order. On a side note I wonder how many top 15 picks are going to tank their stock to avoid playing for the Browns
Garrett already said (in a passing, joking way) that he doesn't want to play for a cold weather team.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Cam Robinson is top tier and Ramczyk or McGlinchey could both potentially be elite LTs too. Other than that there's a ton of good looking RT prospects like Chad Wheeler or Roderick Johnson. Western Michigan has a guy named Taylor Moton who was smiting competition all year even if it was a bit underwhelming. Arkansas also has one of the biggest OTs I've ever seen named Dan Skipper. I think he's flying a bit under the radar but his feet are incredible for someone so big, could potentially be an elite pickup too.

OT is hella deep this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's a good point, I should have pointed out I was just talking about who might worth it for the Panthers in the first.

I'm not sure I agree that it's super deep, but there are plenty of draftable guys.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If the Chargers could draft Cam Robinson that would be swell

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On a side note about Dan Skipper I keep seeing Myles Garrett getting swallowed up by a bunch of NFL quality OTs:

Dan Skipper - http://draftbreakdown.com/video/dan-skipper-vs-texas-am-2016/
Cam Robinson - http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cam-robinson-vs-texas-am-2016/
Conor McDermott - http://draftbreakdown.com/video/conor-mcdermott-vs-texas-am-2016/

Besides them he got beat up by Gregory Little who was a top 10 recruit for the Rebels this year and a future top 15 pick probably in the NFL. It's concerning considering Garrett's game is supposed to be unparalleled athleticism and he's getting beaten by a stiff like Conor McDermott. I'm starting to feel like Jon Allen or even Taco Charlton are showing more. There's also a guy named Charles Harris out of Missouri that has some really great tape but is flying under the radar because Mizzou blew this year. Either way I'm kind of concerned at this point but whatever.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Garrett had a ankle injury basically all season but they kept putting him in games early and he'd tweak it again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

a neat cape posted:

If the Seahawks could draft Cam Robinson that would be swell

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cam doesn't get past Carolina.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Top ten looks like:

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Chicago Bears
5. Los Angeles Rams
6. San Diego Chargers
7. New York Jets
8. Carolina Panthers
9. Cincinatti Bengals
10. Philadelphia Eagles

If Cam's as good as I think he is, and I don't usually anoint prospects this early, I could see him just going to the Browns first overall.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

Top ten looks like:

1. Cleveland Browns
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Chicago Bears
5. Los Angeles Rams
6. San Diego Chargers
7. New York Jets
8. Carolina Panthers
9. Cincinatti Bengals
10. Philadelphia Eagles

If Cam's as good as I think he is, and I don't usually anoint prospects this early, I could see him just going to the Browns first overall.

Rams picks is the titans'

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Rams picks is the titans'

I forgot they traded their first so they could get their QB of the futu...hahahahahahaha

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Cam doesn't get past Carolina.

He won't get to Carolina

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It doesn't really matter who the Browns pick as the Browns are the kiss of bust

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat i completely forgot the rams traded their pick so that makes the cards steamrolling them even sweeter.

I have no clue who we pick though, another lineman? With everyone coming back from injury I'd hope we could be better than we were when everyone was hurt. WR? the guys we have are developing nicely, plus john brown should have his sickle cell poo poo together as well. I think the current whispers are get a real MLB and kick bucannon to safety/nickel CB. ALso it depends on who walks in free agency, we could theoretically lose campbell and jones

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Official draft order:

1. Browns
2. 49ers
3. Bears
4. Jaguars
5. Titans (From Rams)
6. Jets
7. Chargers
8. Panthers
9, Bengals
10. Bills
11. Saints
12. Browns (From Eagles)
13. Cardinals
*** Eagles (From Vikings)
*** Colts
16. Ravens
17. Washington
18. Titans
19. Buccaneers
20. Broncos

Eagles/Colts have to coin flip for 14-15 as they have identical records and SoS

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It doesn't really matter who the Browns pick as the Browns are the kiss of bust

Well Joe Thomas and Alex Mack were both pretty outstanding picks. Joe Haden has had a good career and their 2015/2016 first rounders look promising. I think the Browns are just unlucky with the quality of talent available to them for skill positions. Week rear end 2007 QB draft lead to Brady Quinn and they drank the poison in 2014 with Manziel. Most of their bad first rounders of the early 2000's weren't egregious reaches either. I do fault them for taking Tim Couch over Donovan McNabb who even my 11 year old rear end knew was better.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why did the Eagles have to win the last two games dammit

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Top 5 pick for the Titans :getin:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Doltos posted:

Well Joe Thomas and Alex Mack were both pretty outstanding picks. Joe Haden has had a good career and their 2015/2016 first rounders look promising. I think the Browns are just unlucky with the quality of talent available to them for skill positions. Week rear end 2007 QB draft lead to Brady Quinn and they drank the poison in 2014 with Manziel. Most of their bad first rounders of the early 2000's weren't egregious reaches either. I do fault them for taking Tim Couch over Donovan McNabb who even my 11 year old rear end knew was better.

The only outright egregious picks the browns have made since 99 were kellen Winslow instead of Ben, and manziel instead of teddy. Lots of their picks didn't work out but that's how it goes even for good teams.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

If you're the Browns, whose career do you ruin with the #1 pick

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
You trade down to get extra picks and ruin more young men's lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Chops Aplenty