Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

Koobes posted:

its something like 81 atk, so closer to a 4*+++ than a natural 5*

Yeah, it has the same stats as the dagger you could select last Christmas (2015). Probably not going to see time outside the vault unless you're a newer player.

edit for new page: The Chocobo Wing, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone explain relative power gain from +element on gear?

I'm carrying so much 3* and 4* gear and need to filter the junk out. How much relative strength is there between, say, a 3* +fire sword upgraded twice to 5* and a natural 5* relic, or even a blank OSB 6* like Cloud's Apocalypse? Trying to decide what to keep and what to toss is annoying me.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wilekat posted:

Can anyone explain relative power gain from +element on gear?

I'm carrying so much 3* and 4* gear and need to filter the junk out. How much relative strength is there between, say, a 3* +fire sword upgraded twice to 5* and a natural 5* relic, or even a blank OSB 6* like Cloud's Apocalypse? Trying to decide what to keep and what to toss is annoying me.

It's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 attack. More if you can hit softcap with it equipped and buffs running. Less if any significant portion of your damage isn't boosted by the element in question (I.e. Lifesiphons)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I actually am actively looking for the 3 star Frostbrand swords in my JP relic draws because a fully leveled and record/legend dived Ayame can self-buff herself to over the (new, 805 Attack) Attack soft cap completely naked, so the +20% ice damage (which is very rare on melee weapons) is much more valuable than the extra Attack from a native 5 star or higher sword for me. Similar things are true for ninjas who can use the 3 and 4 star elemental caster weapons.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was slightly dissapointed by my OSB 4 100-gem pull. I was almost expecting the game to just give me Bartz's OSB because it's so kindly given me all his other relics when I wasn't looking for them. Maybe some other time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dollar pulled Lulu's moogle.

I can't imagine I'll get much use out of this, maybe CMs.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Dollar pull here comes the 3* cra.. oh poo poo a sparkly

11 pull was this:

Finally YRP can be in position

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I've been scrouging around the past couple days trying to get the last few mythril to hit 50.

Pulled just now. Got 4.

Curtana, Veil of Wiyu, Wizards gloves and Thyrus.

Soooo, I guessssssss I'm leveling some FF14 guys.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
welp

Tyro on his way to becoming an FF5 end-game freelancer.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My one remaining pull only got me Cloud's Guise. I don't have any other relics for him but I did want to get his record materias. Is he worth using with just Climhazzard?

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Guess your favorite FF is 10 now, Armitage.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Adel posted:

Guess your favorite FF is 10 now, Armitage.

it wasn't even that long ago where X relics were extremely hard to come by for me!

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

HGH posted:

My one remaining pull only got me Cloud's Guise. I don't have any other relics for him but I did want to get his record materias. Is he worth using with just Climhazzard?

I've been using him with just Climhazzard on a team of Zidane with his wind imperil BSB and Dorgann with his SSB and it's working out okay. I don't have many amazing relics, though.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
My first mc3 broken character.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Forgot to post this on Friday when it happened but I had a pretty fantastic pull on the 3rd OSB Fest banner.

I am super happy that I finally pulled something for Vaan, what with him being easily one of my most used characters. It is really great when combined with his extra stats from record diving and being level 99. With synergy and everything Vaan ended up getting to 600+ Att, and then you add on the Wings Unfurled RM and his damage can get nuts.

Also I did a 50 pull on the Y'shtola BSB banner and only got a second Thyrus, unfortunately.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 2, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Got Chaos Rod, Warrior Bracer, and Holy Rod.

No bursts, no 6 star but on the bright side I finally have something for Yuna besides the hilariously outdated The Sending.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bartz was my first ssb wielder, my first bsb wielder, and now he's my first osb wielder

i love ff5 and ff5 loves me

Leonyth posted:

My first mc3 broken character.

digging that rm name

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

God, Rubicante was the boss I was most worried about among the 4 of these just because I didn't have a lot of water/ice SBs other than Tidus OSB. Turns out I shouldn't have been, I one shot him easily. Y'shtola's BSB is so loving good, jesus christ.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Combo posted:

God, Rubicante was the boss I was most worried about among the 4 of these just because I didn't have a lot of water/ice SBs other than Tidus OSB. Turns out I shouldn't have been, I one shot him easily. Y'shtola's BSB is so loving good, jesus christ.

Congrats.

Rubie still gave me a bit of challenge even when I prepared Tidus (OSB) and Serah (BSB) to take the offensive along with OK (Water Veil + Wall Break SSB) thanks to his Cloak-flipping and not bringing enough physical damage mitigation (Only Wall and Full Break, Magic Breakdown and Selphie were more focused in keeping the stupid barrage of Counter-Fira as just an annoyance), but with some patience I found the rhythm to knock him down.

I'm also thankful of all the Fire Resistance Accessories given lately, by the way.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Combo posted:

Same but instead of Yoshi BSB I had enough MAG stacking from Ley Lines and RW Vessel of Fate to effectively disregard cloak states. Ruby taking near 160k from his own element (Terra using aforementioned OnionBurst to chain Swiftspell into Scorching Flames, and getting enough Lionheart SB gauge from his constant countering to do it again in the span of one Burst charge) was particularly delicious schadenfreude.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So I have God's own physical holy team -- BSBs for Cecil, Beatrix, Minfilia, Locke and Ramza (plus shout) -- and Locke and Terra for the start of a Fire team. Now that I have BSBs for Luneth and Alphinaud, wind is a decent option too. Any upcoming banners with wind imperil or other good options I should keep my eyes on?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Edly posted:

2/11, 2 copies of Medica II :saddowns:

Scraped together enough mythril for a 2nd pull: 3/11, Asylum, Blessing of Light, Deployment Tactics. Banner redeemed!

Are the upcoming Torment fights where we can get the 5* job motes if we missed out before? I was only strong enough at the time to clear half the bosses, so I don't have Sky High, and it would be amazing on my wind team.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Swapped my RW over to Tidus's BSB if anyone needs help making sure Rubicante gets dunked on with a water attack. e5R5

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Combo posted:

Yeah, slightly disappointed that I didn't get her BSB, but seeing as how I didn't have a native wall until now, I'll be happy with getting her stones kin II

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Nobody seems excited about Banner 4. Is the FFXIV and/or Banner 5 just so good that I shouldn't pull on Banner 4? Both the OSBs look reasonably decent anyway.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

IllegallySober posted:

Nobody seems excited about Banner 4. Is the FFXIV and/or Banner 5 just so good that I shouldn't pull on Banner 4? Both the OSBs look reasonably decent anyway.
Tyro's OSB is...bad. There's no mincing words about it, it's really bad. It's one of the worst OSBs in the game. In addition to Tyro's lowish base ATK, it has a lower modifier than the rest of them, and no element, so it'll have trouble breaking 10k even with buffs.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

IllegallySober posted:

Main issue with the OSBs are that they take damage hits for covering multiple elements/the 15% stat buff (Cloud/Squall is x12, Bartz is x10, Tyro is x9). While Bartz will still shine hitting weaknesses, he loses out a little on bosses with no weakness he can exploit. Tyro will have trouble getting big damage out of his OSB at all, and while the small stat buff can stack with anything right now, there's a lot of other MAG and ATK buffs you can use that are better. A 6* Book isn't all that attractive either (OK and Alph excluded).

The other stuff is just really bland en-elements for damage (Edge BSB, Hope BSB, Paine SSB, Lulu SSB, Cloud SB), then a Medica that won't stop showing up on banners (Penelo's Intercession, to appear in the WoL Limit Chain and Vayne banners), and Yuna's HP Stock Medica, which might actually be the best item on the banner other then Bartz's okay OSB and Edge's BSB since it has celerity cast time commands.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Combo posted:

You have Tidus's OSB and worried about a boss weak to water? :psyduck:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I wonder why they keep bringing back Rubicante as a bonus boss for various wacky purposes, since his gimmick is a perennial chore to deal with even and especially if you have the tools to tell him to go gently caress himself. After a point I was churning out SBs due to all the low-damage (with mitigation) AoE counters, but the whole time I was getting exasperated that he wouldn't open his cloak.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah the gist of it that I got is that Tyro's OSB is pretty much a booby prize. There's other cool stuff on the banner obviously but the risk of getting that is putting people off.

I'd love to finally get something for Bartz but there's no way I'm pulling on it. I've had great luck and don't need it anyway.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
The menu music is a really long, awesome medley, and I still wish there was a way to keep listening to it on any of the screens I spend more than half a second on.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have Tidus's OSB and worried about a boss weak to water? :psyduck:

OSB and yeah, mostly just because i've never beat Rubicante before except in the story dungeons.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Today wasn't ALL bad. Dropped my New Year's mythril in JPN on the Festival banner, got a dupe of Fujin's BSB (dammit!), but also snagged Gilgamesh's new USB. Now to figure out what his EX: Master Swordsman really means. All I know currently is it gives High Retaliate (sounds fun) and Dance of Carnage (which is semi-confusing seeing as that's the English name of Refia's Burst.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I whaled a little. 3 11-pulls, 1 with gems and 1 with mixed gems and mythril. Didn't get the Healers Circlet, but ended up doing okay. Along with the dollar draw, I'm 8/34:

Evoker's Doublet x2
Omnirod x3
Holy Shield x2
Thyrus ( :smith: I already had this at 7*)
aaaaand Veil of Wiyu :woop:

How does the Tiamat summon work? I had Alphinaud at 523 MAG in multiplayer and Tiamat only triggered 2 attacks.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
How does Alphinaud work in general? I have his SSB and his BSB but I see he can't wrath. I reckon ima combo him with Papilymo (sp?)'s ssb for some sexy faithga stacking. Might be hard to utilize Alph's bsb much without hitting a weakness every turn?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tiamat needs 1191 Magic in order to do three hits.

As for Alphinaud's BSB, he doesn't have a ton of problem getting meter once it gets going thanks to his ability to chain instant casts.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Charles Bukowski posted:

How does Alphinaud work in general? I have his SSB and his BSB but I see he can't wrath. I reckon ima combo him with Papilymo (sp?)'s ssb for some sexy faithga stacking. Might be hard to utilize Alph's bsb much without hitting a weakness every turn?

Generally with his BSB, this is the flow:
1)BSB Command 1 does 4 hits and removes delay from his next action.
2)Use a summon that hits a weakness
3)repeat as needed or
4)BSB Command 2 does 2 hits and restores 1 cast of an ability.

Dr Pepper posted:

Tiamat needs 1191 Magic in order to do three hits.

...gently caress, do I need to reforge some gear to hit that? That's a ton stat there.

Along the same vein, how is damage calculated with his SSB?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
1191 should be reachable by stacking buffs. Think +20% Devotion, +30% Sheepsong, +30% OK BSB, +Burst Mode, etc.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 2, 2017

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The second 14 banner is interesting and it is basically a one stop shop for people trying to round out fire teams. All three bursts are fire elemental including an imperil and an enfire. One of the SSB is also fire elemental with an AoE def/res debuff attached. 3 of the weapons boost fire damage including the dud generic dagger so if you get three copies at least you have a cool +fire dagger.

Lot of strange mechanics though. Like Thancred's burst, one command attacks twice and gives you physical blink and the other command attacks three times but doubles the damage if he still has the blink up.

One of Yda's burst commands includes a 30 percent damage shield for herself and the other command gives her stacking attack and speed buffs that go away if she takes damage.

It seems like they were trying to maintain mmo mechanics by giving bonuses if there was another character 'tanking' with draw fire/magic lure but they didn't do enough to make it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I might do a single 11-pull on the second banner, just to shore up my synergy a little more. I got armor for everyone, but very few XIV weapons.

• Locked thread