Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
If you have a lot of game knowledge but lack in aim or positioning I imagine that getting stuck in gold or low plat is very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Proposition Joe posted:

If you have a lot of game knowledge but lack in aim or positioning I imagine that getting stuck in gold or low plat is very frustrating.

Frustrating for sure. I probably am in that boat where I know more than I can hope to execute. I see people and whiff. I enter situations knowing I am about to die before I do, but I just don't play enough to have the muscle memory. I usually immediately know when I hosed up an ult or something (in that I should have waited, or that I reflexively pressed a button I shouldn't have).

But I feel like having that knowledge should also prevent "I belong in a higher rank than the game is putting me in! ELO Hell is real!"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A lot of people think their game knowledge is better than it actually is though. Like every time you have someone who overextends and dies then complains about "where was everyone, where were my heals," it's a virtual guarantee that that person thinks of themselves as an incredibly knowledgeable and astute player whose performance is only hampered by the five other people who just won't get with the program.

I mean, positioning is game knowledge really, unless we're using a different definition. Knowing where you ought to be in relation to everyone else is one of those things that marks the difference between an okay player and a really good one, especially when it comes to playing support.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
On the flip side, you can rush Eichenwalde A with D.Va, draw away four players on defense, and your team will still sit at the chokepoint afraid to push through.

Pubbies are turds no matter what level you're at.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It might help if Blizzard actually gave people a good idea of how the placements helped determine ranking besides 'win good, lose bad'. Supposedly it tracks individual skill, but then my teams won four and I ended up in Bronze. Then I've heard stories of people who queued up together and getting way different rankings.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

On the flip side, you can rush Eichenwalde A with D.Va, draw away four players on defense, and your team will still sit at the chokepoint afraid to push through.

Pubbies are turds no matter what level you're at.

Yeah but that's my point. D.Va there thinks "ugh god, why did my team not follow up on my brilliant master plan to flank the enemy team by myself" while D.Va's team is thinking "why the gently caress is our D.Va feeding?"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah but that's my point. D.Va there thinks "ugh god, why did my team not follow up on my brilliant master plan to flank the enemy team by myself" while D.Va's team is thinking "why the gently caress is our D.Va feeding?"

And that plays into the whole situational awareness thing. Your five teammates are sitting there being suppressed by two players because they aren't paying attention to the battlefield.

It's painfully obvious but most Reinhardts will sit at that choke with the shield up until they think everything is dead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

And that plays into the whole situational awareness thing. Your five teammates are sitting there being suppressed by two players because they aren't paying attention to the battlefield.

Or the lone solo flanker loses sight of the bigger picture in their quest to be MVP. Meanwhile back at the choke without D.Va's defense matrix to take pressure off of it Rein's shield has been busted and Roadhog ate your Lucio and everyone's fallen back to regroup so it doesn't turn into a parade of staggered deaths, meanwhile D.Va gets smeared across the walls and gets on the microphone to bitch out your team because where were you guys goddamnit.

Like I get that it's really frustrating to think "man this would be so easy if my five other teammates would just be perfectly in tune with me" but that loss of perspective cuts both ways. Way, way too often people go off and try to do their own thing without an sort of communication or planning, just with the unspoken assumption that naturally everyone will be perfectly in sync with their plan, then turn around and blame pubbies for being turds when it doesn't work how they envisioned it in their heads, all the while imagining themselves to have amazing game knowledge because everyone knows this ought to work instead of simply going okay, my team wants to slug it out at the choke, how can I make that work for us and making it work.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

It might help if Blizzard actually gave people a good idea of how the placements helped determine ranking besides 'win good, lose bad'. Supposedly it tracks individual skill, but then my teams won four and I ended up in Bronze. Then I've heard stories of people who queued up together and getting way different rankings.

If you ended up in Bronze, it either means (A) your victories were against very weak opponents while you lost against silver-ish enemies, and/or (B) the system just didn't have enough info to rank you accurately and you'll be on the fast-track out of bronze as you play more matches.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're a noob, and keep commenting that you've got no clue how to play and so on, don't go into a rage when I try to explain the strategy of our defense and what to watch for. I was trying to help, and instead your screaming has made me hate everybody.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Bruceski posted:

If you're a noob, and keep commenting that you've got no clue how to play and so on, don't go into a rage when I try to explain the strategy of our defense and what to watch for. I was trying to help, and instead your screaming has made me hate everybody.

Look at this noob. Doesn't go into every match already hating everyone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Canemacar posted:

Look at this noob. Doesn't go into every match already hating everyone.

That's why I'm not in the big leagues; when I try to line up a headshot I imagine ruining the other player's fun and flinch. I kill much more efficiently when I stick to guys like Symmetra.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you ended up in Bronze, it either means (A) your victories were against very weak opponents while you lost against silver-ish enemies, and/or (B) the system just didn't have enough info to rank you accurately and you'll be on the fast-track out of bronze as you play more matches.

I've been playing since the season started pretty much, so B's definitely not working for me. But it doesn't feel like I'm really doing anything particularly wrong to deserve being in the bracket for the worst players. I try to do what my class is meant to do, I have a lot of people I can use, I'll pick people or switch if I'm asked. It just feels weird, like it's both on you as a player and out of your control.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

I've been playing since the season started pretty much, so B's definitely not working for me. But it doesn't feel like I'm really doing anything particularly wrong to deserve being in the bracket for the worst players. I try to do what my class is meant to do, I have a lot of people I can use, I'll pick people or switch if I'm asked. It just feels weird, like it's both on you as a player and out of your control.

You're worse than the players in tiers above you, what is mysterious about this concept?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Or the lone solo flanker loses sight of the bigger picture in their quest to be MVP. Meanwhile back at the choke without D.Va's defense matrix to take pressure off of it Rein's shield has been busted and Roadhog ate your Lucio and everyone's fallen back to regroup so it doesn't turn into a parade of staggered deaths, meanwhile D.Va gets smeared across the walls and gets on the microphone to bitch out your team because where were you guys goddamnit.

Like I get that it's really frustrating to think "man this would be so easy if my five other teammates would just be perfectly in tune with me" but that loss of perspective cuts both ways. Way, way too often people go off and try to do their own thing without an sort of communication or planning, just with the unspoken assumption that naturally everyone will be perfectly in sync with their plan, then turn around and blame pubbies for being turds when it doesn't work how they envisioned it in their heads, all the while imagining themselves to have amazing game knowledge because everyone knows this ought to work instead of simply going okay, my team wants to slug it out at the choke, how can I make that work for us and making it work.

Dude, your missing the point. If your D.VA just pulled off four players from the choke, then you don't need the shield because your five other team mates should be gibbing the two defenders left behind.

I'm mean I'm only at 3k for comp, and outside of quick-play, half the players recognize this strategy for both Eichenwalde and Hanamura as well.

But if you wanna be the D.VA that sits at the choke for the next five minutes desperately trying to absorb enemy fire while doing absolutely jack poo poo because you don't want to be the 'hero', then more power to ya.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

Dude, your missing the point.

No, you're missing the point that loving up is a two-way street and if your "pro strat" doesn't get you where you want to go then maybe you should have done something else your own self, but by all means go on and keep blaming pubbies.

e; "I did the right thing, it's everyone else's fault" is just as lovely an attitude at 3K as it is at 500, doesn't matter how you slice it. If doing the "smart thing" isn't getting you the win for whatever reason, and most people are awful at judging the actual reasons why something didn't work which is why they blame everyone else, then whether or not it's the "smart" approach isn't actually relevant, what you're doing isn't working and you're as much to blame for it as anyone. Figure out something else and make it work, whether it's something you think isn't the smart play or not.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 1, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Basically, going off like that is only the right thing if your team is able/willing to attempt to capitalize on it. If they're not, then doing it anyway is a mistake, even if, in isolation, that move is close to "ideal". The only person you have to blame there is yourself for failing to communicate with your team.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

Basically, going off like that is only the right thing if your team is able/willing to attempt to capitalize on it. If they're not, then doing it anyway is a mistake, even if, in isolation, that move is close to "ideal". The only person you have to blame there is yourself for failing to communicate with your team.

It isn't even necessarily a failure of communication, though that is frequently a place where this sort of thing falls apart, it's that the solo flanker often has no idea what's actually transpiring at the choke he "peeled four people away from." People get tunnel vision, people go off onto another part of the map, and they have no idea that while in theory their team should crush this 5v2 he's so cunningly arranged for them that actually he only peeled three people, that one of his team got picked by a Roadhog/Widowmaker/Hanzo/whatever, and then someone on the red team used one of their ults to turn the tide back in their favor before collapsing on the lone D.Va who truly with all their heart believes that the real reason things fell apart is because his team is full of mouth-breathing morons who are just too scared to go through a chokepoint.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Papercut posted:

You're worse than the players in tiers above you, what is mysterious about this concept?

One of the downsides of matchmaking (as compared to just having servers around that people join) is that you never really end up playing against people who are miles better than you. So you never really get a sense of how your own skills stack up against the playerbase as a whole, it's harder to judge your own improvement since you don't have anything stable to measure against, and sometimes you're just literally never exposed to more effective ways of playing the game that high-level players use because you never see anyone good enough to pull it off.

I mean, having every game you play be against people of roughly similar skill is actually pretty loving fantastic, no lie. But it's not 100% upside, there are some things that got lost.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

During our New Year's match arneysurf kept taking out our Lucio with laser focus. Then this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJc3TuVx9A

That highlight surely got through the PotG algorithm on the skin of it teeth. By watching the clip good luck will also reach you fine deserving goons throughout all of 2017.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 1, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Just saw my first aim bot. It was in mystery heroes hahaha.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Jabor posted:

One of the downsides of matchmaking (as compared to just having servers around that people join) is that you never really end up playing against people who are miles better than you. So you never really get a sense of how your own skills stack up against the playerbase as a whole, it's harder to judge your own improvement since you don't have anything stable to measure against, and sometimes you're just literally never exposed to more effective ways of playing the game that high-level players use because you never see anyone good enough to pull it off.

I mean, having every game you play be against people of roughly similar skill is actually pretty loving fantastic, no lie. But it's not 100% upside, there are some things that got lost.

Until yesterday I had exclusively played in groups with people who were higher leveled than myself, sometimes to a large degree (me 20, teammates 80+). I was playing at about a 40% win rate. But yesterday I played solo and never saw anybody on either team above 25 and it was astounding to see myself as capable. I have to imagine that I learned some decent skills through constant slaughter by the higher levels.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jabor posted:

The best way is to record some of your games, watch them to analyse your own mistakes, ask someone else to watch them and review (there are people who volunteer both in the try hard thread and on r/competitiveoverwatch), watch high level streamers and observe their positioning/use of cool downs/tactics, and attempt to integrate everything you learn into your play as much as possible.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Poque posted:

Until yesterday I had exclusively played in groups with people who were higher leveled than myself, sometimes to a large degree (me 20, teammates 80+). I was playing at about a 40% win rate. But yesterday I played solo and never saw anybody on either team above 25 and it was astounding to see myself as capable. I have to imagine that I learned some decent skills through constant slaughter by the higher levels.

it's good to keep in mind that player levels aren't a measure of skill. It seems like the matchmaking system tries to keep people playing in games with people of similar skill/level for as long as it can but it doesn't really mean anything, cuz other level 20-25 players could be smurfs or people who have played 5 hours of fps games every day for the past 10 years or whatever. Level only shows how many xp gaining games an account has played which you'd think would be an indication of skill but it's a real fun game for people to play without ever trying to improve, if they want. SR is the only viable metric for determining if you're playing against players worse or better than you and even then it's not incredibly useful in QP for a few reasons

edit: vvvvv
if BENG were a shared account I'd expect to see more dramatic changes in things like SR, k/d, eliminations but it all seems pretty flat (except SR creeping up) and I really admire this guy for putting so many hours into the game when he must know he's just not very good, but just enjoys playing it a lot, if it's not a shared account

phthalocyanine fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 1, 2017

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

phthalocyanine posted:

it's good to keep in mind that player levels aren't a measure of skill.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Sylphea-1120

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/BENG-11922

c'mon, BENG. I've read that a lot of the level 1000+ accounts are shared accounts at PC bangs which makes it a little less pathetic that they have been playing 67 of the 223 days since release.

sleppy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 1, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I was in a few games with them hours ago, haha. Looking at their profile then (and again now), they disproportionately prefer Symmetra and the supports, which suggests that it probably is just one or two people.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Was there any truth to the post about Blizzard saying they were going to make the Mei Chrimbus skin less of a pallet swap?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No, the whole thing about replacing the skin was bullshit. What they actually said was that there's another legendary in the pipeline for Mei, arriving early this year.

They didn't confirm exactly what event that skin would be tied to, but Lunar New Year seems like the obvious choice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I really want to like Sombra, as her playstyle is fun, but she is so weak. Feels like anytime I play her, the team is going to lose.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

generally what time does blizzard end the events day of? is it going to be at the stroke of midnight in blizz hq or sometime in the afternoon?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Rirse posted:

Man I really want to like Sombra, as her playstyle is fun, but she is so weak. Feels like anytime I play her, the team is going to lose.

Sombra is map specific... only on maps where there is a healthpack nearby when you're attacking/defending is worth it. You have to tell your teammates to intentionally take damage, heal up on the healthpack, and you'll gain your ult super fast over any other character in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Sombra is map specific... only on maps where there is a healthpack nearby when you're attacking/defending is worth it. You have to tell your teammates to intentionally take damage, heal up on the healthpack, and you'll gain your ult super fast over any other character in the game.
It's a shame there's no way to get ult off denying an enemy a healthpack because I feel like that's a better use of it than as a way to boost a "friendly" respawn, but Sombra is so ult-specific that you kind of need to focus on building it ASAP.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mister Fister posted:

It's kind of funny that there were literal months of hype for a character that turned out to ultimately be A). not nearly as OP as everyone feared and B). in fact kind of garbage and one-note. Looking forward to the inevitable balance patch where they overtune her and it's Sombras from hell to breakfast.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wv2Bkh2hJk

:potg:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This is really good.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Too honest that can't be Jeff Kaplan.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Should've stopped that one sentence at "Roadhog can hook other players."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ehud posted:

Just saw my first aim bot. It was in mystery heroes hahaha.

How much cheating is there in Overwatch anyway? I just did the 3v3 deathmatch arcade and the opposing team had a Mei using her wall to get out of bounds. She did it every round in an attempt to snipe us or draw. It was really frustrating, and it would suck if all the games were like that now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arivia posted:

How much cheating is there in Overwatch anyway? I just did the 3v3 deathmatch arcade and the opposing team had a Mei using her wall to get out of bounds. She did it every round in an attempt to snipe us or draw. It was really frustrating, and it would suck if all the games were like that now.

I've never seen that before, huh. that's the newest map they added tho and I think the other maps have all either been fixed or else any other glitches haven't been found

blizzard does banwaves on hackers. they have permabans too, so if you get caught then you need to make a new account and buy the game again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Mei thing is an exploit someone found recently, I imagine it'll be patched out like the thing where you could put Symmetra turrets inside the geometry on certain maps. Not in time for the snowball fight but for the other games on the Antarctica map.

e; or like the thing in Lucioball where you could select non-Lucio heroes.