Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kater posted:

I don't see the point of hating a show unless you watch the whole thing. If you have it in you to stop you should just do that.

That doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on the parts you saw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

Kazuma doesn't really get shat on at all. Everything just ends up going generally okay for him all around. Not that it really matters because saying the two are basically the same when one's a serious drama and the other's a wacky comedy is dumb all around. Like saying Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is basically the same as Start Wars because it's just an average main character in space.

I think it helps partly because Kazuma isn't THAT awful of a person either. He has issues but he develops faster than Subaru since Konosuba's light on the drama overall.

Also as far as Kazuma's shittier traits go, the people around him have equal or worse issues. Konosuba's a comedy about flawed people in general. Kind of like a fantasy Red Dwarf in that aspect.

They're very different shows built on a similar premise. It's not like we can compare either to Sword Art Online or .hack except in superficial ways either.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Namtab posted:

I didn't want a thread of peep complaining about things they didn't watch. There's nothing interesting about running this without the three ep test rule because otherwise it's just people listing the lolicon/incest shows and saying "yeah those are the worst". Which is true objectively, but that's not good conversation.

Oh yeah I agree 100% but I think there's a little bit of "crushed hopes" in there too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone didn't watch Rokka no Yusha.

Yea there absolutely are shows with endings so bad they ruin everything that came before it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rokka no poosha

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Yea there absolutely are shows with endings so bad they ruin everything that came before it

ah, to be hero

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

ah, to be hero

It was a dumb ending but it didn't make the other episodes retroactively unfunny so I don't know if it counts. Rokka's ending felt pointless because it reset the status quo and added a really dumb character that we'd never see again because there was no way there's be a season 2. Among other things

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

ah, to be hero

What happened there?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What happened there?

It went for a schmaltzy ending where the whole thing was a coma dream and the bad guy was actually his bad dad thoughts. Or is it??????

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it was a waste of like the last fourth of the show. time to pretend none of those episodes exist

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AnacondaHL posted:

Ah I found it, it was Fangz in my KyoAni voting thread who made statistical visualizations

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736714&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post449069132

e.g.

I could probably do these again if someone else collects together the data for me, since I'm waay too lazy for that. I just need the list of usernames/picks for each.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
3: Handa-Kun: Failed my 3 episode test for not being my cup of tea. Gets put on my worst list for not being Barakamon Season 2. :colbert:

2: Ace Attorney: It was an okay show, but goddamn was this the biggest disappointment in all of anime for me, and I probably should have seen it coming.

1: Kumamiko: gently caress this show, and if you can ignore the fact that I only watched half of the last episode, this is absolutely the worst show that I've actually finished, bar none. It took a fun premise and a decent source material and completely dropped the ball on both.

Most Avoided: Yuri on Ice

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I wasn't sure I had anything to list in this one, but then I started reading the thread and was reminded that KumaMiko happened.

1. KumaMiko - Good moments and I wanted to like it but it was often just cruel. Easily the worst of the year for me because it should have actually been good.

2. Dagashi Kashi - Probably the least funny comedy I've ever seen.

3. HaiFuri - This one started out alright but just got progressively dumber, and I dropped it around when the rodents appeared.

Most avoided: Super Lovers because it sounded creepy as heck.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you get to and finish the final episode before deciding you hate the show, you don't hate the show.

There have been shows (including one of my three worst this year, and at least one DM) that I've given the benefit of the doubt. "There's still a plausible explanation for everything that's going on, let's see how they make this work in the last episode".

Then, they invariably fail to do so, and I hate the show even more in hindsight.

Rokka no Yuusha is also a good example of this. They set up the whole thing, then... Oh we just happened to dig down 20 meters and there was this extra tablet laying around that solves the whole mystery. Sorry for wasting all of your time with characters with imperfect knowledge about magic mechanics and whatnot, but none of that matters in the end- isn't that great?

That was last year, though.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I thought I'd forgotten to put Rokka in my list but, yeah, that was 2015.

It just failed to keep us on past episode 3 I think. Something about there being one too many heroes than the prophecy called for. Maybe we were calling the plot too early, but it sounds more like we were giving them too much credit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the stuff past episode 3 was the best part of rokka though, until the last episode when it turned out that the entire cast really were just kind of idiots

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the stuff past episode 3 was the best part of rokka though

Well, that's the foible of a three episode test.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not sure how Rokka could have stayed supe rinteresting past that opening arc without either resetting the status quo (like it did) or becoming less good, what appealed to me was that it was the fantasy locked room mystery aspect, less so the epic fantasy aspect.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

3) Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls This "Show" is a truly baffling spectacle. malformed, malnourished, uninteresting and deeply, deeply, deeply unfunny. A vacuum of attention and effort. Absolutely dreadful. Weirdly it's hard for me to dredge up enough bile to hate it, there's no "it" to hate.

2) Lostorage Incited Wixoss I question the humanity of nearly every single major character in this show to a greater or lesser extent. The protagonist was dull as dishwater, her glasses friend acted like no human being ever acted (also can I say the reveal about her was ungodly lame?), siscon boy was a godawful drag, the one good interesting heroic character got slapped around by fate for no reason except maybe GRIMDARK and the antagonist... Word of advice writers: Please do not subject me to a show where the antagonist does not, cannot, and will not act in any way shape or form like a human being. A character whose entire personality is :moreevil: is the absolute opposite of compelling. The bad guy in Wixoss had some SERIOUS change the channel heat going on because rather than depict him in any way resembling an actual person they started with Sugou from SAO and decided that that was too SUBTLE for their show. I literally started skipping scenes by the end there because of how dreadful it was to watch him swan around.

Oh also if the show could have made up its mind about the other female lead that would have been swell. Should I love her? Hate her? Validate her? Disagree with her? Understand her? Be mystified by her? Judging by the way she completely changes personalities just about every episodes (even several times IN episodes) I suspect some people in the writers room are at least as confused as I am.

1) Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle I'm sort of relieved that I'm apparently the only person here dumb enough to watch this trash. Whether I agree or disagree with anyone else's opinion at least I know I'm alone in enduring this shitshow and that's vaguely comforting. Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle is sort of a who's who of bad Light Novel tropes. We got fanservice, a trashy harem, an invincible hero, lovely characters, a badly realized setting, mediocre action, poor consistency, and just a lamely told meandering plot.

Most Avoided

Magical Girl Raising Project I heard some aggressively bad things about this show, things about series structure and character that made me roll my eyes out of my sockets. Not surprisingly I did not pick it up.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

that was a good show op

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
3.Kabaneri
2.Dimension W
1.Macross Delta

If the ending arcs are bad they can ruin the entire show, and all three of them are proof right there. Macross Delta's entire 2nd half and more is so lacklustre and empty of real drama not even great pop songs can save it.

1.Berserk
Money saving CG kills anime; this is no Tiger and Bunny.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So, worst animes I actually watched in 2016.

Berserk - Berserk is an awesome manga that I have read through a couple times now, but this anime was a terrible presentation of the source material.
Divine Gate - This one almost needs a "so bad it is good" category, some of the lines of the narrator were just too over the top. Talking about some kid who has "never eaten a warm meal because his heart is so cold" and it was being dead serious about it which just made you laugh so hard your sides hurt.
Heavy Object - I watched 3 episodes of this, which is pretty amazing considering how bad the first episode was. Boring, cliche bullshit with a large serving of creepy on the side.
Kumamiko - For all the reasons already stated in this thread, awful punch line.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

If the ending arcs are bad they can ruin the entire show

YMMV but I think the last two episodes of Kabaneri were when it finally hit stride, with the first two episodes following right behind. It's the middle eight episodes that it seemed to forget to just be Aɴɪᴍᴇ ᴀs Fᴜᴄᴋ and kinda sucked to sit through.

I mean... he suplexed a train! Right after I said, out-loud, 'Suplex the train!'

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 2, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

So, worst animes I actually watched in 2016.

Berserk - Berserk is an awesome manga that I have read through a couple times now, but this anime was a terrible presentation of the source material.
Divine Gate - This one almost needs a "so bad it is good" category, some of the lines of the narrator were just too over the top. Talking about some kid who has "never eaten a warm meal because his heart is so cold" and it was being dead serious about it which just made you laugh so hard your sides hurt.
Heavy Object - I watched 3 episodes of this, which is pretty amazing considering how bad the first episode was. Boring, cliche bullshit with a large serving of creepy on the side.
Kumamiko - For all the reasons already stated in this thread, awful punch line.

Only 3 of these votes count

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm not sure how Rokka could have stayed supe rinteresting past that opening arc without either resetting the status quo (like it did) or becoming less good, what appealed to me was that it was the fantasy locked room mystery aspect, less so the epic fantasy aspect.

For what it's worth, the LN - which was translated through Volume 5 (the anime is just Volume 1) for a while, but had to take it down due to the official LN translation - is quite good (at least compared with other LNs/WNs). Each volume seems to focus on one character and their circumstances, and they don't keep introducing new party members. The first volume makes a really bad stand-alone anime for this reason; in the LN the first volume is just this prologue of sorts* that establishes the characters and (anime spoilers)Nashetania as a villain (though (LN spoilers)somewhat of an ambiguous one later). The later volumes go into more detail about the Kyoma and more fully develop all of the heroes.

* This is actually also kinda true for Magical Girl Raising Project.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Namtab posted:

Only 3 of these votes count

Whoops, gonna say Heavy Object for the "avoid" category then.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Ytlaya posted:

For what it's worth, the LN - which was translated through Volume 5 (the anime is just Volume 1) for a while, but had to take it down due to the official LN translation - is quite good (at least compared with other LNs/WNs). Each volume seems to focus on one character and their circumstances, and they don't keep introducing new party members. The first volume makes a really bad stand-alone anime for this reason; in the LN the first volume is just this prologue of sorts* that establishes the characters and (anime spoilers)Nashetania as a villain (though (LN spoilers)somewhat of an ambiguous one later). The later volumes go into more detail about the Kyoma and more fully develop all of the heroes.

* This is actually also kinda true for Magical Girl Raising Project.

See I remember someone giving LN spoilers in the Rokka thread and the later plot twists sounded just as dumb.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ln spoilers given without any context are a dumb way to judge a series though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Berserk for being the biggest gulf of quality from Manga > Anime I have ever seen to the point where when I first saw it I thought it was a joke

And then I watched a bit and it was worse than I imagined

I'm pretty sure the animation in PS1 game cutscenes was better and this poo poo got a second season because it's Berserk

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The original show is also ugly and barely animated though, it's just not as bad as 2016.

Only the manga shows how Berserk should look. That poo poo should be in a museum.

Actually yeah the original anime is pretty lovely too despite what people say, which makes this one even more disappointing somehow

the bar to clear was so low

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
When's the Best Anime thread going up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

When's the Best Anime thread going up

it's already up op

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Oh poo poo I didn't even notice. Thanks

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
1. Kumamiko
I was promised a cute and funny Slice of Life, and didn't get it. While there were some good jokes in the first few episodes, it quickly got creepy and the Machi hatefest set in. Dropped after 5 episodes.

2. Bakuon
The manga is hilarious. This anime adaptation took every good joke and either half-assed it to the degree of not being very funny anymore, or skipped it entirely. The animation was generally lovely, especially the motorcycle riding. Artwork and characters in the source material look much, much better. I think I dropped it after 6 or 7 episodes.

3. Myriad Colors Phantom World
I can't help but have high hopes for a KyoAni show, so despite the awful premise (How many shows can be made out of "Light Novel where bland male protag has supernatural powers, goes to highschool with other kids with supernatural powers, all of the other characters are girls, they fight each other/some sort of monsters with said powers, there's lots of fanservice, the end"?! For gently caress's sake, stop.) I gave it a shot. The animation was great, and the episode where they went to the teddy bear universe was cool. Everything else about the show . . . was entirely forgettable. I watched 8 or 9 episodes and I can't remember a single character's name.

Most Avoided: Re:Zero
I've read some high praise for this show on ADTRW and a couple of my friends love it, but nothing I've heard has made me want to watch Re:Zero myself. Dropped into fantasy/game world is a premise even more boring and over-used than the magical high school one I mentioned above, so that's half my aversion right there. The rest comes from descriptions of the characters, and the mention that they might be depicted being tortured/killed a few times throughout the show. I don't like that sort of thing at all. Avoided.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Dropped into fantasy/game world is a premise even more boring and over-used than the magical high school one I mentioned above, so that's half my aversion right there.

That's why I didn't watch Eupho2. I mean, has there ever been a more overused setting than modern characters in the contemporary world?

I didn't watch it because I didn't like Eupho1, but it'd be better to say "I don't like fantasy" than to make overarching statements based on the broadest possible perspective of the setting and calling it the premise.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Kytrarewn posted:

it'd be better to say "I don't like fantasy" than to make overarching statements based on the broadest possible perspective of the setting and calling it the premise.

I didn't think I needed a disclaimer like "This is my biased, non-objective opinion", this being a thread for subjective opinions. Sorry for the confusion.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Omnicrom posted:

2) Lostorage Incited Wixoss I question the humanity of nearly every single major character in this show to a greater or lesser extent. The protagonist was dull as dishwater, her glasses friend acted like no human being ever acted (also can I say the reveal about her was ungodly lame?), siscon boy was a godawful drag, the one good interesting heroic character got slapped around by fate for no reason except maybe GRIMDARK and the antagonist... Word of advice writers: Please do not subject me to a show where the antagonist does not, cannot, and will not act in any way shape or form like a human being. A character whose entire personality is :moreevil: is the absolute opposite of compelling. The bad guy in Wixoss had some SERIOUS change the channel heat going on because rather than depict him in any way resembling an actual person they started with Sugou from SAO and decided that that was too SUBTLE for their show. I literally started skipping scenes by the end there because of how dreadful it was to watch him swan around.

Oh also if the show could have made up its mind about the other female lead that would have been swell. Should I love her? Hate her? Validate her? Disagree with her? Understand her? Be mystified by her? Judging by the way she completely changes personalities just about every episodes (even several times IN episodes) I suspect some people in the writers room are at least as confused as I am.

for some reason I found it really hard to actually dislike Satomi, like he's so ridiculously hammy and constantly having such incredibly silly faces that I found him funny more than anything

i'm kinda disappointed with how he ended though. like one of the neatest conceits of the show, to me, is how people and their cards change places, in some cases god knows how many times, it's a very interesting concept having to see someone else walk in another's shoes. the first show did this very well with Yuzuki, but this time around the idea of jerkoface being swapped with his horribly shy and meek cardgirl didn't go anywhere, neither did it with siscon, and as far as I can tell, Carnival ending up in Satomi's shoes...changes literally exactly nothing, because they're both basically the same kind of person and after the same things. in fact i think the only difference is perhaps that Carnival is a bit more stoic and composed which just means no silly overdramatization which was kind of the entirety of why Satomi was any fun as an antagonist to me

it definitely was nowhere near as strong as the original show in the end. I don't think it was bad really, and the early middle of the show was really promising. Protagonist stayed kinda dull but I thought Chinatsu was very very strong to start off with - she's doing everything she's doing out of desperation and a need to basically support her entire family, while also working her rear end off to get into a good school. ...so I was kind of disappointed it dropped the ball with her. 'oh your dad has a new job you don't have to worry, also we figured out how to get you into that school' just sort of happens all of the sudden, and I dunno. her obvious arc of 'this person obviously wants to help you, so accept their help since you can't do it on your own' ended up not really going that way really.

and i couldn't even begin to tell you what happened at the end? why did they lose their memories? glasses girl didn't, she won, learned the truth, and that's it. the protagonists did the same, i thought, but they get amnesia for no reason?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
3. Bakuon
It started off well enough, but then it just ran out of gas and puttered to a stop*. In a year where you had SoL shows like Flying Witch, Sweetness & Lightning, Haruchika, etc., Bakuon failed to stand out and just became forgettable. I'm hearing that the manga was really good, which makes the way the anime ended up kind of sad.

2. Dimension W
Again, this show started off promising. It looked like it would be a fun scifi action similar to something like Outlaw Star, but then the plot got more and more disjointed and the characters turned into wasted potential. In the end, it was just less than the sum of its parts.

1. Kumamiko
I think this show's problems and shortcomings would have been forgiven if it had a good ending, with Machi overcoming her anxieties and growing as a character. Instead, it was the exact opposite of that in the dumbest way possible. I can't remember the last time an anime got so many people this pissed off at it with such an easily-avoided mistake.

Most Avoided: Phoenix Wright
I knew there was no way they were going to successfully pull this off, so there was no point in giving it a chance.

*: I'm very proud of myself for describing it like this.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mentat Radnor posted:

I didn't think I needed a disclaimer like "This is my biased, non-objective opinion", this being a thread for subjective opinions. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't be sorry. People get overly touchy about criticism in this subforum.

And yeah it is way over-used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Berserk for being the biggest gulf of quality from Manga > Anime I have ever seen to the point where when I first saw it I thought it was a joke

And then I watched a bit and it was worse than I imagined

I'm pretty sure the animation in PS1 game cutscenes was better and this poo poo got a second season because it's Berserk

Actually yeah the original anime is pretty lovely too despite what people say, which makes this one even more disappointing somehow

the bar to clear was so low

I can't tell if this is a vote for Most Avoided or if you actually watched 3 episodes and rank it your #1

• Locked thread