Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Indeed! I've been on a kick lately where I'm reducing the size of my studio but increasing the quality. Basically I realized that I pretty much only record one or two channels at a time now, so I decided to ditch the extra channels and mics and make them the best two channels I could afford. I've got a UAD Apollo Twin Duo and the Neumann now, selling my Saffire Pro 40, Blue Reactor mic, and a pile of little AKG cheapo mics that I used for toms and whatnot.

About to sell my Korg SV-1, probably going to go with something much smaller and cheaper in exchange for that since I've spent so much on my recording channel. Thinking one of the Komplete Kontrols, probably the 49 key. The wife and I are quite likely moving to Japan for a year in a month or so anyway, so something more portable would definitely be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not technically an instrument or gear, but cool nonetheless.

Found this at a thrift store near my parents after visiting them for the holiday.
It's the 3rd edition printed in 1975.
The best part is the schematic section it has factory supplied schematics from fender, kay, gibson, supro, ampeg, even montgomery ward and sears.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Awesome. Great find. I'm fascinated.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would kill to find something like that in a thrift shop. It doesn't even look like it's in that rough of shape.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Speaking of old poo poo I played through a legit vintage Sears branded amp

It had some really good tiny tiny breakup it was cool as heck

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the bend on the cover is the worst of it. It looks like it must have sat on some dudes book shelf for 30 years and then got donated.
I looked it up on amazon and some used bookstore is trying to sell one for $500:aaaaa:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Yeah the bend on the cover is the worst of it. It looks like it must have sat on some dudes book shelf for 30 years and then got donated.
I looked it up on amazon and some used bookstore is trying to sell one for $500:aaaaa:
I think every book has at least one Amazon seller looking for ridiculous money for it.

A first edition just went for $30 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/electric-gu...=p2047675.l2557

And its still in print - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/electric-guitar-amplifier-handbook

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I'm really upset that you own that microphone and I do not have money to do so.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I got a RAT because RATs own

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I keep considering one weird, expensive dirt pedal, then another... My Muff is okay, but it doesn't quite do it for me, I used to have a Keeley-mod DS-1 that was the poo poo. Maybe if I compressed the muff signal some? Lately I've been thinking about something like the EQD Palisades or Spires or something because I'm a fiend for EQD's weird poo poo, but I never pull the trigger because I end up thinking "maybe I should just get a RAT. Or something else cheap and nasty." And then the moment passes and I don't have money for more pedals.

e: really I should probably be thinking about my amp, since clean it's great, but I can't seem to make things sound the way I want them to with its overdrive channel. It's either not quite enough or instantly put over into fart noises, so I just generally make the dirt in the pedals and play that through the clean channel.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 5, 2017

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Go for the RAT, I got one when I wasn't really feeling my Muff. It really does the trick in getting you a tight fun distortion tone. Plus they're a dime a dozen so it's not overly difficult to find a used one.

But if you still want a fuzzy sound, I really love the Double Muff. It is more controlled, brighter (but it isn't very bottom heavy either), and less smooth fuzz. But it's also my favorite fuzz. If I had to give it a character (as hard as it's to describe for a fuzz), it's kinda like a less buzzy, smoother, and higher gain silicon fuzz face. Best part is that it's cheap so you can get it for less than $50 and flip it for just as much if you don't like it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Check the Deluxe Big Muff if you're gonna go for an Electro-Harmonix pedal. That much control for how little mine costed (got it for 80 bucks) seems almost criminal.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

EBMM Axis Super Sport in translucent purple, with a Bare Knuckle Nailbomb in the bridge location.

It's... pretty mean, man. :getin:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Cool! Hard-tail! I could get into that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A Bomb or C Bomb?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

muike posted:

A Bomb or C Bomb?

A Bomb. AlNiCo for life, man. :whatup:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

HandlingByJebus posted:

A-ha! Thanks for that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HandlingByJebus posted:

Hell yeah dude. Might go for the A-bomb on my next set. The C bomb was invented for the band who's guitar sound I was shooting for but i think it's okay to mix it up on set 3

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Got a Nektar Impact LX25+ to rid myself of the bane of Automap. After a painless registration and quick download it works perfectly with Cubase, super stoked with it. Drum pads feel a lot nicer than the ones on my old Nocturn 25 keyboard too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My new Les Paul Halcyon, a birthday present from my wife after selling my Explorer - it's technically a Bill Kelliher signature model since it has his Lace Sensor HB's and a one-off finish but no gaudy signatures other than truss-rod cover I've already got a replacement for.

As a 2014 it's one of the last years to have over-fret binding on a very light caramel rosewood fretboard (maybe granadillo?). The colour is as a goldtop with a black-burst. Taking photos in the dull winter afternoon light hasn't done the colour justice, but is a good approximation. It reminds me of the kind of thing you'd see hung up on a wood-panelled wall, covered in nicotine of your cool uncle's rec room - it's a little gaudy, but lived in at the same time.

I A/B'ed this against a Les Paul Custom at GuitarGuitar in Camden Town, London - and honestly couldn't find much in it. I was expecting to be blown away by the LPC but other than the rear binding quality-wise they seemed very equivalent.

I found the Lace pickups (Dissonant Aggressors) to match roughly the tonal characteristics of the LPC's 490/498 pickup set with the volume backed off, but able to supercharge to more high gain territory on full throttle and with modern wiring one has full control of the volume of the pickups (that is, when dialling one to zero volume it doesn't cut off the other) which is awesome.

I could have splurged on a Custom or even a 2016 standard, but honestly they didn't match up at all in depth or breadth and as such, I'm really happy with my [not so garden variety] LP!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
...That's pretty loving sexy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just went and bankrupted myself

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Dad just got a new midi controller for the studio, so he gave me the old M-Audio one.

And this will be arriving in a couple of weeks: Warren Ellis signature Tenor Guitar, 2-pickup version.

So excited about the tenor. I've been wanting an electric tenor for years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

massive spider posted:

hell fuckin yeah

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
WAH WAH WAHHHHH

Custom Audio Electronics Dunlop MXR doobie doobie whatever
I got a new wah, I like it.
It has a built in MXR boost which I won't probably use and also it has 2 frazels or something, a red one and a yellow one that give it 2 separate sounds.
All I know is it has true bypass and a loving LED indicator so I can tell if it's on or off easier, hell yeah!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

massive spider posted:

Well? Is the rock jam chill?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its p chill.

For real though this thing is great BUT with the exception of the pitch effects which are a bit of a letdown for such an expensive unit.

The snapshots feature is really cool though. Its like a "quickload" feature for sounds, so instead of changing patches and getting a small gap, you change sounds within one patch with a single button and all your reverbs etc spillover seamlessly.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

peter gabriel posted:

WAH WAH WAHHHHH

Custom Audio Electronics Dunlop MXR doobie doobie whatever
I got a new wah, I like it.
It has a built in MXR boost which I won't probably use and also it has 2 frazels or something, a red one and a yellow one that give it 2 separate sounds.
All I know is it has true bypass and a loving LED indicator so I can tell if it's on or off easier, hell yeah!

This is pretty cool. How does it sound compared to other wahs you've tried?

massive spider posted:

Its p chill.

For real though this thing is great BUT with the exception of the pitch effects which are a bit of a letdown for such an expensive unit.

The snapshots feature is really cool though. Its like a "quickload" feature for sounds, so instead of changing patches and getting a small gap, you change sounds within one patch with a single button and all your reverbs etc spillover seamlessly.

Nice. How are you using it? Amp + guitar cab, studio monitors, or other speakers?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm putting a send in all my patches before the cabinet simulation, then routing that out to my amps effects return. So I've got one out to amp and one XLR out to DAW.

My plan is that this means if I ever gig again I can just use whatever dogshit backline the venue provide so long as they also take the XLR out to PA.

It sounds much, much better as a preamp into tube power amp than the POD HD did too, which sounded stiff and shrill.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schpyder posted:

I got a RAT because RATs own

Hell yeah. I have a bunch of fancy expensive dirt pedals but the Rat I got for $60 is still my favorite.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I wanted a RAT with true bypass what version would I need to look for? I've always really enjoyed their sound.

Southern Heel posted:

My new Les Paul Halcyon, a birthday present from my wife after selling my Explorer - it's technically a Bill Kelliher signature model since it has his Lace Sensor HB's and a one-off finish but no gaudy signatures other than truss-rod cover I've already got a replacement for.

As a 2014 it's one of the last years to have over-fret binding on a very light caramel rosewood fretboard (maybe granadillo?). The colour is as a goldtop with a black-burst. Taking photos in the dull winter afternoon light hasn't done the colour justice, but is a good approximation. It reminds me of the kind of thing you'd see hung up on a wood-panelled wall, covered in nicotine of your cool uncle's rec room - it's a little gaudy, but lived in at the same time.

I A/B'ed this against a Les Paul Custom at GuitarGuitar in Camden Town, London - and honestly couldn't find much in it. I was expecting to be blown away by the LPC but other than the rear binding quality-wise they seemed very equivalent.

I found the Lace pickups (Dissonant Aggressors) to match roughly the tonal characteristics of the LPC's 490/498 pickup set with the volume backed off, but able to supercharge to more high gain territory on full throttle and with modern wiring one has full control of the volume of the pickups (that is, when dialling one to zero volume it doesn't cut off the other) which is awesome.

I could have splurged on a Custom or even a 2016 standard, but honestly they didn't match up at all in depth or breadth and as such, I'm really happy with my [not so garden variety] LP!

Ya did it, you won the new gear purchases thread. That thing is perfect.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's one of the guitars that gets a seat on my reverb watch list

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GreatGreen posted:

This is pretty cool. How does it sound compared to other wahs you've tried?

The yellow mode sounds like a crybaby pretty much, a little cleaner maybe.
The red mode is more guttural, a bit more throaty and it seems to be tailored towards gain channels but works well clean, it seems to have less of a sweep than the yellow, but not by much. You can adjust the Q with knobs inside the pedal though to taste, as well as the amount of gain in the boost. The boost also has a knob on the side to adjust it on the fly.
The built in boost is good, I just don't need it. It's much more powerful than I expected. You could play rock with just the wah and a clean channel, although the boost oddly isn't independent so you can't have it on with the wah off.
It's built like a crybaby so tough as old boots. All the different options are switched on by two red buttons near the front of tit which you can kick on and off, but inside a pedal board you can't do that.
It comes with a tool so you can tighten up the pedal stiffness or loosen it. And finally they have put a battery hatch on it so you don't have to open the whole thing up, I'm using a power brick so again, it's not important to me but it is a nice touch.
The status LEDs are worth it alone for me, glancing at it at a gig and knowing where I'm at is why I decided on this one in the end. Daft as that sounds, it's a big deal to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

it's one of the guitars that gets a seat on my reverb watch list

So I was going to post a link to the one I've been watching but couldn't find it in my list. Sold today. Lucky bastard.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks dudes - basically nothing else has been off the wall-hooks since I got it, but that's likely a honeymoon-period thing. The more I play with the Lace pickups the more I an appreciate the range: I keep the vol on the bridge around 8/10 and 5/10 on the neck (with the tone a little down too) and it's great for hard rock with very distinct neck/bridge tones - but it roars like a mammoth if you turn either on full-throttle. My playing isn't what I'd like it to be, but I'll try and get a sound-demo up. It sounds nice through the Friedman ;)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks dudes - basically nothing else has been off the wall-hooks since I got it, but that's likely a honeymoon-period thing. The more I play with the Lace pickups the more I an appreciate the range: I keep the vol on the bridge around 8/10 and 5/10 on the neck (with the tone a little down too) and it's great for hard rock with very distinct neck/bridge tones - but it roars like a mammoth if you turn either on full-throttle. My playing isn't what I'd like it to be, but I'll try and get a sound-demo up. It sounds nice through the Friedman ;)

There's something special about a good Les Paul, I do love mine. Yours is stunning, congrats on it :)

SOME TONE APPROACHES...

This could be fun!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I wanted a RAT with true bypass what version would I need to look for? I've always really enjoyed their sound.

They're all true bypass! That's the reason they didn't have indicator lights for ages - it was a while before a pedal could be both true bypass and tell you it was on. So you'll it's just a matter of sound and/or features. I still adore the Turbo RAT, which uses LED clipping, probably because of all the genetic damage caused by King Buzzo from a zillion Melvins shows. It does need to have some volume going, though - one of the reasons I love the No Brainer so much is that it sounds a lot like the Turbo RAT even at lower volumes.

It looks like they've expanded the line, though!

I know I keep linking to my own band for examples, but I never have time to record gear demos. This entire album was done with a LP and Turbo RAT. Sorry about, uh... the playing.

After The War fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

peter gabriel posted:

There's something special about a good Les Paul, I do love mine. Yours is stunning, congrats on it :)

The only Les Paul that I ever liked is the one I ended up buying. I know a few other guys who also only like their one, it's weird.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shiroc posted:

The only Les Paul that I ever liked is the one I ended up buying. I know a few other guys who also only like their one, it's weird.

I'm the same, it is weird. I don't want another unless it's a goldtop with p90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

peter gabriel posted:

I'm the same, it is weird. I don't want another unless it's a goldtop with p90s

The One True LP.