Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

BDawg posted:

Can someone recommend not to miss Rifftrax episodes?

I've seen the following:

Birdemic (live)
Whizzo the Clown
Manos (live)
Carnival of Souls (live)
Mega Force (my favorite)
Breaker, Breaker
Nightmare at Noon
Man from Harlem

Honestly, I love all of the Twilight riffs to death. I recommend at least watching the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MegaZeroX posted:

Honestly, I love all of the Twilight riffs to death. I recommend at least watching the first one.

Mike did an interview about Rifftrax in the early days and said it was as if the creators of the first Twilight left big gaps in the dialogue especially for riffing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how much contempt some of the actors working on the movie had for the material, would not shock me to learn that was true.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

RandomPauI posted:

"I Believe in Santa Claus" and "Santa's Villiage of Madness" are two non-live Christmas-time classics. "This is Hormel" is a solid short (About 20 minutes). As for Bridge and Mary Jo stuff I prefer "Life in the Suburbs" over "A Word to the Wives". The latter seems more popular and higher rated though.

"Life in the Suburbs" is great! "Duties of a Secretary" is also really good.

*secretary screws up at work*
Bridget: "This is worse for me to watch than Saw!!"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
"Home of the Future" has Bridgette singing off key and I find that charming.

Edit: There are a lot of riffs I want as ringtones but that's one I specifically want for a friend.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 31, 2016

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Thanks for the recs, everyone. We started Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare last night and it was great, so far. Would've finished it, but we watched Home of the Future first.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Even though I downloaded it already, I bought the MST3K Reunion Blu-ray with the $10 credit and the new year's 17% off coupon. Ended up costing $5.05.

They always seem to offer these deals AFTER I've purchased everything.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

BDawg posted:

Thanks for the recs, everyone. We started Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare last night and it was great, so far. Would've finished it, but we watched Home of the Future first.

If you haven't finished Rock N Roll Nightmare, then you haven't watched Rock N Roll Nightmare.

I cannot stress enough how much the ending is integral to the Rock N Roll Nightmare experience.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paper Kaiju posted:

If you haven't finished Rock N Roll Nightmare, then you haven't watched Rock N Roll Nightmare.

I cannot stress enough how much the ending is integral to the Rock N Roll Nightmare experience.

This is true.

I usually throw on rifftrax or MST3k before I go to sleep. There are more than a handful of episodes that I know the first half by heart but have never seen the end. I'm glad I followed through on RnR Nightmare though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Assuming they're going to be doing another Kickstarter this year (why wouldn't they), I wonder when it will launch? 2016's was in March, and 2015's was in Feb.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mister Kingdom posted:

Even though I downloaded it already, I bought the MST3K Reunion Blu-ray with the $10 credit and the new year's 17% off coupon. Ended up costing $5.05.

They always seem to offer these deals AFTER I've purchased everything.

Yeah, it's great those offers can be stacked. I had a few other random little gift credits in my account and I ended up buying the Reunion Show on bluray, Time Chasers on DVD, and the second Bridgette/Mary Jo Christmas special for under $14, shipping included.

I think that $10 credit goes away in a few hours, so hop on that while you still can.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BDawg posted:

Would've finished it

This is unacceptable.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Gavok posted:

This is unacceptable.

I'm old and I get tired. My bad.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I had myself a little Rifftrax marathon last night, 4 shorts and then a movie premiere (for me) Hillbillys in a Haunted House. Not sure why the latter only has a 8.9 rating because I think it was the best riff they did all year. The Second Annual Bridget and Mary Jo Christmas Special was also pretty funny, especially the second part where they added dialog to a silent film.

Now that I am thinking about it, there has been some really great content this year:
  • MST3K reunion show
  • Road House 3 riffer version
  • Jurassic World
  • Cat-Women of the Moon
  • Shake Hands With Danger. I don't know why I just saw this this year (as part of a collection?) but I had to include it. B'DUM DEER DUH DUM DEEEERRRrrrr

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Watched a bunch of RT shorts and the MST3K reunion show for NYE. It was great to see everyone on the stage, and I'd have to say my personal highlight was Frank and Trace doing the "More Dates For Kay" short (with the two shorts at the end featuring everyone riffing being a close second). The Mads haven't lost a step. :) I wonder if they're planning on releasing any videos of their own live show sometime soon?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CapnBry posted:

Shake Hands With Danger. I don't know why I just saw this this year (as part of a collection?) but I had to include it. B'DUM DEER DUH DUM DEEEERRRrrrr
They riffed Shake Hands With Danger at the MST3K reunion show. I hadn't seen it before that, either.

I thought the big riff-a-palooza at the end was kind of disappointing because they just spread the old riffs between nine people and there wasn't much (any?) new material there. Of course, even if all the riffs were old, you'd have to be some kind of joyless husk of a person (even more so than I already am) not to enjoy the experience. :allears: Say what you will about 2016, but between MST3K, Guns N' Roses and Misfits we saw some pretty goddamn surreal reunions last year.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Watched a bunch of RT shorts and the MST3K reunion show for NYE. It was great to see everyone on the stage, and I'd have to say my personal highlight was Frank and Trace doing the "More Dates For Kay" short (with the two shorts at the end featuring everyone riffing being a close second). The Mads haven't lost a step. :) I wonder if they're planning on releasing any videos of their own live show sometime soon?

"More Dates for Kay" is one of the darkest shorts they've ever done, and that includes "Here Comes the Circus" and "Days of Our Years."

Kay has prospects for dating! She should team up with the old guy in Hired!

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
it's got nothing on individual differences or each child is different

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

it's got nothing on individual differences or each child is different

Each child is different is really depressing. Long story short: Each kid has their own family problems and it's up to you to correct for them in your instruction. But you only change how you teach. Because you can't actually do anything about their home lives. With luck you'll get thru to the kids and make their lives better!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

They riffed Shake Hands With Danger at the MST3K reunion show. I hadn't seen it before that, either.

I thought the big riff-a-palooza at the end was kind of disappointing because they just spread the old riffs between nine people and there wasn't much (any?) new material there. Of course, even if all the riffs were old, you'd have to be some kind of joyless husk of a person (even more so than I already am) not to enjoy the experience. :allears: Say what you will about 2016, but between MST3K, Guns N' Roses and Misfits we saw some pretty goddamn surreal reunions last year.

But the Superman short they did was new?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yes, yes it was. I was talking about the Grasses short, but apparently forgot to specify that in the post. :downs:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes, yes it was. I was talking about the Grasses short, but apparently forgot to specify that in the post. :downs:

Yeah I was pretty disappointed by that as well. I think Frank and Trace were the only ones who added any new riffs, the rest were all recycled. poo poo, it wasn't even the first time we'd seen that short live. If you're going to recycle, at least do something that had only been done online.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I've been catching up on my Rifftrax and the Daredevil riff was hilarious.

Murdoch: The one thing I don't understand...

Mike: Is how to see.

It's always great to hear the guys crack up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been catching up on my Rifftrax and the Daredevil riff was hilarious.

Murdoch: The one thing I don't understand...

Mike: Is how to see.

It's always great to hear the guys crack up.

I take it you mean the movie and not the first ep of the Netflix show. That bit where they talk about the Kingpin "meeting" a baby is one of my favorite riffs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gavok posted:

I take it you mean the movie and not the first ep of the Netflix show. That bit where they talk about the Kingpin "meeting" a baby is one of my favorite riffs.

That riff came from the series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mister Kingdom posted:

That riff came from the series.

My bad. Figured it was part of your ginormous RiffTrax rewatch.

How's that undertaking going?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gavok posted:

My bad. Figured it was part of your ginormous RiffTrax rewatch.

How's that undertaking going?

Oddly enough, Daredevil is next in line.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh incidentally that 10% email worked as of last night. Wife got Rollergator and the new Bridget & Mary Jo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That house of the future short was supposed to be horrifying, right?

The kid and his mom never seem to leave the house or talk to other people, everybody's life is regulated to the smallest detail by a giant computer that the family doesn't even control, microwaved food is the default.

For the first ten minutes or so I was convinced this was actually a horror film and that Wink Martindale and his family were actually the only people left on earth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anyone else having issues downloading from their library? All I get are 403 Forbidden errors.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone else having issues downloading from their library? All I get are 403 Forbidden errors.

I just tried as a test and I got the same thing. Check their forums. I took a quick look but didn't see any posts about it but it's a little chaotic looking. The tech forum is at the bottom.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That house of the future short was supposed to be horrifying, right?

The kid and his mom never seem to leave the house or talk to other people, everybody's life is regulated to the smallest detail by a giant computer that the family doesn't even control, microwaved food is the default.

For the first ten minutes or so I was convinced this was actually a horror film and that Wink Martindale and his family were actually the only people left on earth.

I figured it was sincerely optimistic given the time period. The guy still gets roast beef and plays golf. The house does the work but the wife still knows how to cook. The kid might watch cartoons but he still knows how to play chess and still does work out things. Minorities know their place as entertainment for the white race.

Okay, that last sentence is way too harsh on the film. It was also an attempt to show an inclusive environment at a time when a white man kissing a black woman on TV was grounds for some whites to boycott a TV network.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
In Astro Zombies in one scene they keep repeating "number nine" in monotone, what is that a reference to?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

remigious posted:

In Astro Zombies in one scene they keep repeating "number nine" in monotone, what is that a reference to?

The song "Revolution 9" by The Beatles contains the phrase repeated over and over

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Oh! Thank you, that was driving me crazy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Bridget and Mary Jo are back with a new VOD The Amazing Mr. X and a new short Katy

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:smuggo:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So the end of Rock n Roll Nightmare... Original ending as written in the script or "oh poo poo the original ending was awful, but I can't pay the cast for reshoots so now I have to reshoot using only myself and this puppet"? I feel like there's a case for either explanation.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So the end of Rock n Roll Nightmare... Original ending as written in the script or "oh poo poo the original ending was awful, but I can't pay the cast for reshoots so now I have to reshoot using only myself and this puppet"? I feel like there's a case for either explanation.

I feel like trying to find reason behind the ending of RRN would simply rob it of it's majesty and wonder. Some things man was simply not meant to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's more to worry about. The angel let a bunch of people die, told the demon they were shadows, but then visited their graves.

• Locked thread