Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The voice line changes for costumes are great. Witch Mercy says "my minions never die!" instead of "heroes never die!"

"cheers, love! the holidays are here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aphrodite posted:

The game is called Digital Devil Saga. His "spoiler" is in the title of the game.

The title actually goes back to the origins of the series, Digital Devil Story, really. In it a computer genius manages to connect a computer program to the demon realm or something along those lines, I've never actually read or played it. In Digital Devil Saga The characters are just led to believe they're in hell or purgatory before finding out the truth

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The voice line changes for costumes are great. Witch Mercy says "my minions never die!" instead of "heroes never die!"

For a moment I forgot you were talking about the halloween skin or something and had to check to see if there was some kind of messed up Minions movie cross over.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Imagine a pikmin game with minions.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

For a moment I forgot you were talking about the halloween skin or something and had to check to see if there was some kind of messed up Minions movie cross over.

Junkrat but instead of grenades he shoots Minions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Junkrat but instead of grenades he shoots Minions.

Junkrat but every time there's an explosion it's the entire Bee Movie.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Junkrat but instead happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday happy birthday.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Action Tortoise posted:

Imagine a pikmin game with minions.

Overlord?

:haw:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

It took me forever to realize "Heroes never die... for a price" was just the costume, and not me mishearing it for the whole first month.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Dishonored 2 really has improved on all the take down stuff mechanically speaking. The guards are a little more robust than their one counterparts.

The problem is that I

http://i.imgur.com/CyrNxZd.mp4

am not very good

http://i.imgur.com/COVnGTO.mp4

at this stealth thing.

http://i.imgur.com/G09eMb7.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feonir posted:

Dishonored 2 really has improved on all the take down stuff mechanically speaking. The guards are a little more robust than their one counterparts.

The problem is that I

http://i.imgur.com/CyrNxZd.mp4

am not very good

http://i.imgur.com/COVnGTO.mp4

at this stealth thing.

http://i.imgur.com/G09eMb7.mp4

I've always thought there are two approaches to stealth in games; No evidence anyone was ever there, or no witnesses left to explain who was there :unsmigghh:.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always thought there are two approaches to stealth in games; No evidence anyone was ever there, or no witnesses left to explain who was there :unsmigghh:.

Dishonored agrees - it tracks Stealth/"Assault" totally separate from Lethal/Non-Lethal, or at least 2 does. IIRC 1 doesn't care what you do with the former, which isn't an approach I exactly mind.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

Dishonored agrees - it tracks Stealth/"Assault" totally separate from Lethal/Non-Lethal, or at least 2 does. IIRC 1 doesn't care what you do with the former, which isn't an approach I exactly mind.

I recently played through Metal Gear Solid V mission where I ended up going full lethal/full noise and depleted the local map's supply of reinforcements in a long pitched battle but still got a fuckin' A rank, mostly because the whole thing only counted as a single alert. I hadn't quite figured out the whole 'holdup' mechanic and how core it is to stealthing at that point, either.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Hitman: Blood Money did this too. After each mission you'd see the newspaper article about what just happened, as publicly perceived. Live witnesses meant there'd be more detail about you. If everyone's dead then they just know that someone's psychotic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dishonored 1 had a mechanic where wanted posters would get progressively more detailed if you got spotted and left witnesses alive, if I remember correctly.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In Styx: Master of Shadow when you go jumping into the abyss the goblin sometimes yells "FFFUUUCKKK YYYOOOUUU!" it's really loving funny that game swears a lot but it's not in your face its just slightly unrelenting swearing.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

AlphaKretin posted:

PAYDAY2 cares not whether the silence comes from being unperceived or from murdering everything within a six-block radius. All that matters is no 911 calls were placed.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Hitman: Blood Money did this too. After each mission you'd see the newspaper article about what just happened, as publicly perceived. Live witnesses meant there'd be more detail about you. If everyone's dead then they just know that someone's psychotic.

I remember when I first played the tutorial years ago, I had a hard time adjusting to the controls so I ended up getting spotted a lot and having to shoot my way out but I wasn't any better with the shooting controls so my accuracy was really poor. The newspaper at the end said police were looking for "a shooter of limited skill but dangerous enthusiasm," a phrase that still makes me laugh like a decade-plus later.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I love that in Ark: Survival Evolved your tamed dinosaurs look at you when you approach them.

Also, you can ride a frog (it is exactly as fun as it looks):

And put cool glasses on, among other things, a scorpion (you can also ride the scorpion):

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ark turned out to be such a cool game. I'm glad the devs stuck out the initial rough launch.

I'm playing MGSV. I'm doing everything I can not to kill anyone (except that first convoy mission where I don't have many tools unlocked yet). I was really disappointed that they didn't have something like Hitman's coin (an unlimited distraction item).
That is until I accidentally switched to the magazine item that I thought was just extra ammo.
Nope, Snake just has his butt stuffed with extra magazines to toss around like some sorta death-dealing fairy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

XCOM lets you give your heavy units a rocket launcher. They warn you not to use explosives haphazardly because they damage the items the enemies drop, but if a dude is inside a building or something and you don't want to be bothered then you can just tell your heavy to fire a rocket and blow the whole building up. It's very satisfying to just tell a mission to go gently caress its self sometimes.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

I love that in Ark: Survival Evolved your tamed dinosaurs look at you when you approach them.

Also, you can ride a frog (it is exactly as fun as it looks):

And put cool glasses on, among other things, a scorpion (you can also ride the scorpion):

The frog was my favorite animal in the game not just because I got to paint mine red and blue and call it Hoptimus Prime, but that it's melee attacks also knock things unconscious, so even a mighty T-rex can be brought low by a buff rear end frog and some naked dude on its back.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inzombiac posted:

Ark turned out to be such a cool game. I'm glad the devs stuck out the initial rough launch.

I'm playing MGSV. I'm doing everything I can not to kill anyone (except that first convoy mission where I don't have many tools unlocked yet). I was really disappointed that they didn't have something like Hitman's coin (an unlimited distraction item).
That is until I accidentally switched to the magazine item that I thought was just extra ammo.
Nope, Snake just has his butt stuffed with extra magazines to toss around like some sorta death-dealing fairy.

if you've got reflex turned on, chuck a mag at a soldier's head.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nuebot posted:

XCOM lets you give your heavy units a rocket launcher. They warn you not to use explosives haphazardly because they damage the items the enemies drop, but if a dude is inside a building or something and you don't want to be bothered then you can just tell your heavy to fire a rocket and blow the whole building up. It's very satisfying to just tell a mission to go gently caress its self sometimes.

The fact that I was allowed to use my explosives in XCOM2 without being penalized is my favorite little thing.

It felt like such a horrible way to balance a mechanic. Rather than just limiting ammo/radius/damage you're instead punished by loot drops to incentivize not just blowing everything away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Agent355 posted:

The fact that I was allowed to use my explosives in XCOM2 without being penalized is my favorite little thing.

It felt like such a horrible way to balance a mechanic. Rather than just limiting ammo/radius/damage you're instead punished by loot drops to incentivize not just blowing everything away.

The odd thing is that you'd generally be worse off if you DIDN'T scorch the earth in XCOM: EU. Ranking up your soldiers is more important.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

You can still lose drops in X-Com 2 if you blow up an alien and he is the designated loot depository. It is rare but does occasionally happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Action Tortoise posted:

if you've got reflex turned on, chuck a mag at a soldier's head.

Oh dang!

I've already put in 8 hours at 10% completion. I've spent so much time loving around, I love it.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So anyway I have a question - is there a name for the thing in videogames where a boss will appear and it'll have, like, its name and a little subtitle? I mean stuff like this:

For some reason it always tickles me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Disgusting Coward posted:

So anyway I have a question - is there a name for the thing in videogames where a boss will appear and it'll have, like, its name and a little subtitle? I mean stuff like this:

Tangentially related to this, but sometimes when I enter a building or general area I've never been to before, especially if it's large, I like to pretend that the camera (y'know, the one that follows you everywhere?) swings around my shoulder to show off the full lay of the land, then displays the name of the place in a subtitle as the camera rests in a particularly cinematic spot. Sometimes I may even slow my walk to a halt and look around slowly so the camera can catch me scoping the place out.

Wait is the this the anonymous confession thread, or

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't worry, I think about my relative position with a fake 3rd person camera kindof a lot.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

timp posted:

Tangentially related to this, but sometimes when I enter a building or general area I've never been to before, especially if it's large, I like to pretend that the camera (y'know, the one that follows you everywhere?) swings around my shoulder to show off the full lay of the land, then displays the name of the place in a subtitle as the camera rests in a particularly cinematic spot. Sometimes I may even slow my walk to a halt and look around slowly so the camera can catch me scoping the place out.

Wait is the this the anonymous confession thread, or

In Far Cry 3 unlocking a radio tower would basically make this happen. The camera would go off on a dramatic zoom around the map highlighting points of interest from the area you just opened up. One time it went over a crashed WWII fighter plane and being the insufferable airplane nerd I am I had to sprint off in that direction right away.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Don't worry, I think about my relative position with a fake 3rd person camera kindof a lot.

I do this, too.

I think it's a common thing, like when you were riding in a car as a kid, and imagined a man running along the power lines, jumping over the poles, keeping up with the car. Pretty common for those that played video games when young?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think it's a common thing, like when you were riding in a car as a kid, and imagined a man running along the power lines, jumping over the poles, keeping up with the car. Pretty common for those that played video games when young?

Oh god, I did this, but the guy was on a skateboard, because I played lots of Tony Hawk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I do this, too.

I didn't actually do this until a friend of mine told me he did on a long trip and I was so bored out of my mind I started doing it too and we basically had imaginary running dude score attacks based on whoever could imagine the raddest stunts.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

I love this poo poo. I really liked the boss intros in Titanfall 2. I was hoping I could find a video of just the intros but I guess not so here's a boss fight video that includes one of them:

https://youtu.be/IRhvkl46f98

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do this, too.

Excuse me it was a squirrel, not a man

I did this so much

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Digirat posted:

Excuse me it was a squirrel, not a man

I did this so much

Spider-Man over here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Assassins Creed - imagining how Ezio would climb a nearby building. "Well then he could jump to that sill there... no he'd get stuck cause there's nowhere to go from there.. maybe..."

By the way does anyone remember a really old maths game that was ancient egypt themed? You had to climb a pyramid by advancing room by room solving math puzzles, including a Tower of Hanoi I think, and it may have had a time limit. No amount of googling is bearing fruit yet, I used to play it in secondary school in the late 90s/early 2000s

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Jan 2, 2017

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Whenever I play too much Deus Ex, and I walk around downtown afterward, I look in alleys and get ideas

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Somfin posted:

I recently played through Metal Gear Solid V mission where I ended up going full lethal/full noise and depleted the local map's supply of reinforcements in a long pitched battle but still got a fuckin' A rank, mostly because the whole thing only counted as a single alert. I hadn't quite figured out the whole 'holdup' mechanic and how core it is to stealthing at that point, either.

MGSV rankings are based almost entirely on the amount of time it takes you to complete a mission so you can just go in guns blazing and get S ranks all over the place as long as you're quick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants

BioEnchanted posted:

Assassins Creed - imagining how Ezio would climb a nearby building. "Well then he could jump to that sill there... no he'd get stuck cause there's nowhere to go from there.. maybe..."

By the way does anyone remember a really old maths game that was ancient egypt themed? You had to climb a pyramid by advancing room by room solving math puzzles, including a Tower of Hanoi I think, and it may have had a time limit. No amount of googling is bearing fruit yet, I used to play it in secondary school in the late 90s/early 2000s

That sounds like Challenge of the Ancient Empires.