Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Miss Nomer posted:

I hate him because he's Canadian and has a tramp stamp :colbert:

I hate him cause he has a tramp stamp but doesnt do as much to show the goods as Chris does. What the hell is the point of having your name tattooed above your rear end if you dont show me more of your rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Logicblade posted:

He can reach the stars, and he''ll show you how.

He is brave enough to fight the enemies. This is who he is - just remember him!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The fact that JJ is specifically French-Canadian is what makes him just perfect to me. He's exactly as self obsessed as you'd expect of a seperatist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a very silly analogy, JJ sort of reminds me of Iskander from Fate/Zero with the whole "being a larger than life figure who inspires his followers" thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MattTheDoctor posted:

He is brave enough to fight the enemies. This is who he is - just remember him!

He can change the world, just follow him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Article with sales numbers for the OST
Almost 45k physical copies in the first week seems insane.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dogsicle posted:

Article with sales numbers for the OST
Almost 45k physical copies in the first week seems insane.

I bought it on iTunes purely for the Yuri on Ice track.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was surprised to find out that the same guy wrote most of the Yuri!! On ICE tracks, since a lot of them have completely different styles (aside from the questionable English lyrics). And it looks like this might be the first time he's been involved with anime?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ytlaya posted:

I was surprised to find out that the same guy wrote most of the Yuri!! On ICE tracks, since a lot of them have completely different styles (aside from the questionable English lyrics). And it looks like this might be the first time he's been involved with anime?

I think it's a few people, not just one.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Blew through this last week and it was good.

Thats all, thanks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think it's a few people, not just one.

For the soundtrack as a whole there were two main people I think, so given the spread of songs that's pretty impressive for either one of them (it actually seems like they did a roughly even number of tracks each, I was mistaken about one of them doing most of them).

edit: I can't get JJ's theme out of my head, Jesus Christ. Been stuck in my head all day and I only know like half (or less) of the lyrics from the first half of the song.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 5, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

A piano version of "Shall We Skate": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew-U3Qp0un4 :allears: :woop: :swoon:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The first volume BD/DVD sales are out, and Yuri on Ice sold 35 589 copies this first week. It's quite the hit.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Did the BD get any enhancements over the broadcast version?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Tomie knows me posted:

Did the BD get any enhancements over the broadcast version?

Looks like it

https://twitter.com/Mizuojima/status/813775729213063168

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Those don't look like changes, really, except the last one.

But I already got schooled on animation earlier so I'm probably missing something.

Like the color difference is due to different TVs/lighting, I'm assuming.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the last one is the worst one btw

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Granted I'm on mobile but I can't tell which of the comparison shots are supposed to be the BD version :v:

And I care more about them adding some extra frames to the skating routines than prettying up random scenes that don't need it as badly. I'm surprised they didn't just do it in 3D; they bothered to do 3D mock ups for animation reference but considering the result we got, maybe instead of mockups they should've gone full hog 3D and saved 2D shots for close ups.

I'm not a big fan of using 3D models in complicated shots (mostly dance routines, attacks, concerts) but drat so much of the skating is just painful. I hate that they obviously used the same mockup model for all the skaters despite them being different heights and builds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You think YoI would be improved by using CGI for the skating scenes? :raise:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

darkgray posted:

The first volume BD/DVD sales are out, and Yuri on Ice sold 35 589 copies this first week. It's quite the hit.

Errrr. Oricon just posted an apologetic note about adjusting their sales ranking, setting Yuri on Ice vol 1 sales to 50 878 copies...

For reference, that's 7x what Eupho s2 vol 1 sold.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anybody have an idea/know why the ost has a handful of tracks that just weren't in the anime? (e.g. Welcome to the Madness) unless I'm just forgetting some instance of it in the show.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Fangz posted:

You think YoI would be improved by using CGI for the skating scenes? :raise:

I hate myself a little for thinking it but compared to what the TV animation looks like, yeah. Would also allow them to shoot the routines from different angles to make it look like they aren't reusing animation and maybe the skating elements would be recognizable. Granted I'm talking 3D for medium to long shots and 2D for close shots/rear end shots, around Utapri-tier probably.

In a perfect world everything would be lovingly hand painted 2D but I've accepted those days are gone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that concerns me about a YOI sequel (that uses the same main characters, at least, which this seems like it will) is that they've already had the scores steadily improve to the point where they're higher than the highest real-life ones. So I don't really see any option other than inserting some drama which causes Yuuri (or whoever) to fall off the wagon and have to climb his way back up, since there's not much room left to improve unless they start becoming drat near superhuman in skill.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that concerns me about a YOI sequel (that uses the same main characters, at least, which this seems like it will) is that they've already had the scores steadily improve to the point where they're higher than the highest real-life ones. So I don't really see any option other than inserting some drama which causes Yuuri (or whoever) to fall off the wagon and have to climb his way back up, since there's not much room left to improve unless they start becoming drat near superhuman in skill.

The show did a decent job of showing that even a great skater can have an okay day. I don't think them going down a couple notches earlier in the season, when they're getting used to a new routine, would be all that hard to fathom.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't feel like the show would have any less satisfying or emotionally fulfilling routines just because the scores aren't as high. i spent most of the season not even really paying attention to the numbers and only have a vague idea of what's good anymore, only a couple weeks from the finale.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe its set in the future after gays are legal in russia after putin ate some chechen semtex

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aki_the_geek/status/818368456055631872

https://twitter.com/Aki_the_geek/status/818368682430582785

https://twitter.com/Aki_the_geek/status/818368846281117696

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 9, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Anime of the decade. He's the next Tezuka.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Unmature posted:

Anime of the decade. He's the next Tezuka.

she
yamamoto is amazing and everyone should check out her other work. with kubo being easily accessible on twitter, it kinda seems like yamamoto's contributions as director have been overlooked by a big portion of the fandom for this show. :(

Unmature
May 9, 2008

dogsicle posted:

she
yamamoto is amazing and everyone should check out her other work. with kubo being easily accessible on twitter, it kinda seems like yamamoto's contributions as director have been overlooked by a big portion of the fandom for this show. :(

Holy crap that's awesome! I even thought "I should fact check that it's a he. Naaaah it's anime." And yet this show is STILL subverting my expectations. She's my new hero.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Michiko and Hatchin is legitimately amazing and it's a crying shame so few have even heard of it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Fangz posted:

Michiko and Hatchin is legitimately amazing and it's a crying shame so few have even heard of it.

:agreed:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DIdn't it air on Toonami or something

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

DIdn't it air on Toonami or something

it did, though i was given the impression it had bad ratings. looking around it seemed to regularly be in the top 4 shows on toonami during its run, and only dropped below 800k viewers during a marathon. plus it exceeded 1m viewers multiple times.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

Kenji Miyamoto (the choreographer) performing Stammi Vicino and Eros (Hope we get these performances on the US release as well!)
Translation of commentary on the above, also from the first disc
Partial translation of commentary from the first disc (May have been posted already, I can't keep track.)
Translated interview with Kubo (Again, may have already been posted.)
Sub vs Dub for a few choice lines NGL, may be checking out more of the dub.
Masterpost of a lot of YOI links If you came in late to this thread, a lot of the things I linked to a while ago have been posted here.

Bonus humor!
Yuri On Ice from Yakov's perspective

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Maera Sior posted:

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

Kenji Miyamoto (the choreographer) performing Stammi Vicino and Eros (Hope we get these performances on the US release as well!)
Translation of commentary on the above, also from the first disc
Partial translation of commentary from the first disc (May have been posted already, I can't keep track.)
Translated interview with Kubo (Again, may have already been posted.)
Sub vs Dub for a few choice lines NGL, may be checking out more of the dub.
Masterpost of a lot of YOI links If you came in late to this thread, a lot of the things I linked to a while ago have been posted here.

Bonus humor!
Yuri On Ice from Yakov's perspective

you. i never yet told you how much i appreciate these posts of yours. compiling these links makes things way easier for me to find neat stuff. thank you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Being yakov is suffering

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Xinder posted:

you. i never yet told you how much i appreciate these posts of yours. compiling these links makes things way easier for me to find neat stuff. thank you.

:3: I love blabbing about my fandoms to people, and this thread allows me to dump to my heart's content.

(My one rule for myself is no fanfic or fanart, parodies excepted, because then I'd never get off the internet.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I only have one episode left of this now......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I believe in you JJ! You can easily make third, or maybe fourth place! It's JJ style!!

• Locked thread