Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
In the last go-around of 5e psionics, each discipline wasn't like a 5e spell, it gave a basket of abilities.

So if you learned Intellect Fortress, you gained passive psychic resistance, a reaction to impose disadvantage on an attack (that causes damage if the attack still hits), a reaction to add bonuses to int/wis/cha saves, and an action to make a 30' bubble of resistance/advantage on int/wis/cha saves and psychic damage. Everything but the passive ability had a psi point cost.

Then there are 'talents', which are basically cantrips. Mind Thrust was an int save for 1d6 psychic damage and a 10 foot push. No psi cost, usable whenever as an action.

https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf was in Feb 2016, so it took another year to finish the last 10 levels and flesh out more disciplines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man this group I was looking to join doesn't run sorcerers or warlocks because they're hosted by a church and it spooks the olds. And like, I get it, but laaaaaaaame. They've got a dickton of paladins already and the guy running the show suggested a bard. Which was honestly high on my list of stuff but I am a child who hates being told he can't do something and I can't imagine any sufficiently evil cleric option that would make up for not being a mad paranoiac whose mind has been turned to jelly by his otherworldly patron.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man this group I was looking to join doesn't run sorcerers or warlocks because they're hosted by a church and it spooks the olds. And like, I get it, but laaaaaaaame. They've got a dickton of paladins already and the guy running the show suggested a bard. Which was honestly high on my list of stuff but I am a child who hates being told he can't do something and I can't imagine any sufficiently evil cleric option that would make up for not being a mad paranoiac whose mind has been turned to jelly by his otherworldly patron.

So they are okay with wizards? What would the big difference be between calling your character a wizard and just taking the mechanics from sorc or warlock? Or simply saying your wizard gets his powers from outsiders if its just the hang up on the words.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have no idea why they're okay with wizards (or fighters for that matter.)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Paladins get their divine might from a non-Abrahamic god too, that can't be ok.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My next character is going to be a Warlock that's pact bonded to Our Lord And Savior Jesus Christ.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I imagine that one guy's Oath of the Hellsworn homebrew is off the table

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

By the sound of it...

Steer. loving. Clear.

No gaming >>>>>> terrible gaming.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah my LGS does two weekly things, one looks like it's one-shot drop-in games and the other is a persistent campaign so I'll give it a try through those.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oathbreaker paladin :getin:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

My next character is going to be a Warlock that's pact bonded to Our Lord And Savior Jesus Christ.

Play a sorceror who uses time magic purely to take the next thirty minutes to talk to you about the Good News.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Do Clerics still pick domains? If so, make a Cleric of Jehova with the domains Law and Earth. Throw rocks at everyone who says your deity's name.

Splicer posted:

Yeah but what are the downsides?

Not really a lot. But why not make a magic system that takes the best of both worlds? Psionics is just different for the sake of being different.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Consume my body and blood, accept my power.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mango sentinel posted:

Amazing.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Or how about making a religious Monk who likes to loudly proclaim that he kicks rear end for the Lord?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A while back someone posted an editable PDF for character creation, anyone have the link handy? I forgot to save the link and now can't seem to find it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Soylent Pudding posted:

A while back someone posted an editable PDF for character creation, anyone have the link handy? I forgot to save the link and now can't seem to find it.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193053/Character-Sheet--MPMBs-fullyautomated-Colorful-character-generator Is the best one I've ever seen/used.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think that is the one, thanks!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kibner posted:

Asheron's Call used to do a good bit of this. They would even have their devs RP as the big bad that was trouncing the countryside. One time, the dev playing the baddy of the month gave me a month for waving and smiling at him before just running by on my way to do other things. He instantly killed everyone who attacked or worshiped him, though.

Gave you a month what? A month-long ban?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

mango sentinel posted:

The power source of Christ compels you.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dick Burglar posted:

Probably of subscription time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dick Burglar posted:

Oh poo poo, that was supposed to read "gave me a buff". Thinking of one word while typing another. Whoops!

e: It was a buff that was a higher level than one available to players, so it did more and lasted longer. It basically gave my character stats of someone 40 levels higher and lasted 8 hours, iirc. Used it to fight really strong stuff to power level.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 3, 2017

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Barbarian that fights with a jawbone :getin:

Alternatively Light Cleric that kills people on site for breaking laws that are Leviticus levels of dumb. Like if the innkeeper offers him a stew smite him for mixing cloven-hoofed animals and root vegetables or something.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A fancier, friendlier word for warlock, whose patron is a Christian saint, like John of Nepomuk, the saint of the drowned.... (who is a misremembered syncretism from the days the Great Old One walked the waking world, of course)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to suggest a Paladin of Prester John that constantly heralds doom about the Kara-Khitai horde that's going to come from the East and sweep all in its path ...

Razorwired posted:

Alternatively Light Cleric that kills people on site for breaking laws that are Leviticus levels of dumb. Like if the innkeeper offers him a stew smite him for mixing cloven-hoofed animals and root vegetables or something.

... but a Cleric that goes full-on The Year of Living Biblically sounds like an even more amazing idea.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
So my party that I was dm for TPK'd last night in the phandelver mine adventure. it was at tnt green dragon in thunder tree. I gave them multiple outs to not die, with the last one being the dragon just demanding they surrender to him all their treasure. They chose to fight rather than give anything up. This is after clearing the town with no rests.

Any good places to look for inspiration for home brewing a new campaign?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Looking over the Jesus power kit we got

Detect Evil
Turn Evil
Raise Dead
True Resurrection (Everlasting)
Cure Wounds
Moveable Feast

Which screams cleric, but then we get into his weird powers

Bestow Curse
Scry
Levitate
Desecrate Food and Drink
Planar Shift
Nameseeker
Namebinder
Prestidigitation
The Sight
Hex
Charm
Shape/Move Earth
Move Silently
Invisibility
Know Language
Light
Speak with Animals
Shapeshift

Which, boy, that's a mess of powers. If I had to pick a power-set synergy its honestly for a rogue who fancies himself a planner, capable of breaking into any home now matter how guarded, and who if push comes to shove, simply fakes their own death to escape from danger. Basically, when picking gods, if you want to the be the thief in the night, pick Jesus as your patron.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 3, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That fits frighteningly well with one Islamic interpretation that says Jesus was called up to God and another man was made to look like Jesus and crucified in his stead.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So my group is starting up a new campaign, and the DM pitched that its kind of like Suicide Squad, in that we are allowed to play monstrous or evil characters, and we are starting in jail. I have talked to him about playing a Great Old One warlock that is trying to spread worship of his patron and create a wealth/power base by starting a cult/religion. The problem is that we are both at a loss for how to set up a system for the spread of a religion like that in the game. Any tips? One of my goals is to eventually convert a king or noble of some kind and have him gift me some land and a title to build a temple or church.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Big Black Brony posted:

So my party that I was dm for TPK'd last night in the phandelver mine adventure. it was at tnt green dragon in thunder tree. I gave them multiple outs to not die, with the last one being the dragon just demanding they surrender to him all their treasure. They chose to fight rather than give anything up. This is after clearing the town with no rests.

The dragon knocked them out, it didnt kill them, or at least they dont feel dead anyway. Each is now marked by a strange cursed scrawl, the same that fills the deep mines of phandelver. Now, strangely, they can innately sense one another and their condition and if focusing hard their general position. Stranger still, they can feel the dragon and it can feel them and it causeous a nasueous feeling of dread and hatred demanding revenge when it peers at them driving them to hunt it down while perhaps understanding just how the dragon could mark them.

But seriously, unless your players are done with a campaign or characters they cant really lose a fight. No matter how absurdly bullshit that dragon encounter may be its up to you if they want to keep going to get a hook. Consider it an opportunity though to really shake ip the canpaign cause the core plot of phandelver is dreck.

Also, for reference, if following the book, i believe they only need to deal like 60 odd hp to win that encounter or did they not even get that far into its health pool?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 3, 2017

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

"Impressed by your tenacity the bad guys knocked you out and made a pretty pennygold piece selling your characters to the nearest gladiatorial arena."

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Waking up stripped of fancy gear down a river is fun, or in a dungeon far far away.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Some of the best campaigns I've ever been a part of came out of recovering TPKs.

For example, in an old 3e game our team was deep in some dungeon and about to be completely offed by a lich who worshipped Tiamat. Just before the last living member was struck down he pleaded, half jokingly "C'mon Tiamat, surely we'd be more useful than this guy. Save us and we'll work for you!"

She listened. Many fun and morally questionable adventures were had.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Big Black Brony posted:

"You're all sitting in a bar. Suddenly some guy bursts in shouting about getting revenge on some dragon that killed his brother"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Big Black Brony posted:

Like a telling a story kind of campaign where the PCs play through a series of scenes that make up a plotline?

Think of 2 or more pieces of fiction (or pieces of history) you enjoyed or thought were interesting. Mash your favorite bits together. Think about how a protagonist in a novel or movie differs from a D&D party and with that in mind, transfer what you've got to a D&D setting.

And/or look to your players for inspiration. Ask them what they're into. Try to remember the stuff they enjoyed about the games you already played with them. Think of some similar stuff. Throw all that stuff together. Leaf through a monster manual and think about which monsters could be fun to put into the stuff you've been thinking about - specifically, look for thematic matches or fun dissonances.

Either way, then you link up your stuff into a series of cool setpieces and bits to connect those. Then if you do it like I do you end up throwing out more than half of it because your players keep speculating about what's happening and it's way better than what you thought of.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
So it looks from a few posts, these few should awaken in a bad situation. Dragon took then from this material plane. They awaken in another?

With that said, if there is no chance of permanent death, then what is the real fear of getting into really bad situations?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Big Black Brony posted:

So it looks from a few posts, these few should awaken in a bad situation. Dragon took then from this material plane. They awaken in another?

With that said, if there is no chance of permanent death, then what is the real fear of getting into really bad situations?

I don't think they need to go to another dimension entirely. Even if you choose to go the route of "you all wake up", they can just be in the same plane.

As for your other question, consider:

1. Just because this happens now doesn't mean that it will always happen. Meaning, they can still die in future encounters.

2. Fear of death isn't interesting. It's a binary live/die question. and if they die they simply get to play a new character in a new game so it's not as if they genuinely need to fear it anyway. The fear of failure is much better because it means they may need to live with the consequences. Consider, for example, a kingdom locked in civil war. If the evil contender for the throne wins then hey, that kingdom is now an evil place. The PCs won't be welcome there, the armies won't help out with future problems, friendly NPCs may get persecuted, stuff like that. This is interesting, has new adventure hooks, and makes the campaign a living world where stuff actually changes and the PCs actually influence those changes.

3. Fear is overrated. No campaign I've seen has ever been improved by the PCs being actually fearful*. Caution is good. Respecting the enemy's abilities is good. Recognizing that you're in over your head is good. But actual fear is just a blight on games, cowing players into paralysis. A healthy dose of caution makes PCs try new approaches. Fear just makes them try nothing.

(* Except for a truly bleak Wraith the Oblivion campaign I was in, but that's not quite germane to a D&D discussion.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm usually pretty heavily in the "Death is a boring consequence" camp but this really seems like a "no you're dead" situation. My suggestion: ask your players. Do they want to continue the campaign with their players alive but possibly wishing they weren't, continue with new characters with a "Find out where Steve's brother went it's been six months his mother's worried" starting quest, or just forge ahead to something new. A combination of 1 and 2 is possible ("You two narrate why you're attacking this dragon, the other two describe what you've been up to in dragon jail all summer")

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

wisdomHNOX posted:

So my group is starting up a new campaign, and the DM pitched that its kind of like Suicide Squad, in that we are allowed to play monstrous or evil characters, and we are starting in jail. I have talked to him about playing a Great Old One warlock that is trying to spread worship of his patron and create a wealth/power base by starting a cult/religion. The problem is that we are both at a loss for how to set up a system for the spread of a religion like that in the game. Any tips? One of my goals is to eventually convert a king or noble of some kind and have him gift me some land and a title to build a temple or church.

Maybe do some thinking on how other religions will react to this new faith spreading around. Not that the entire game should be based around one player's gimmick (unless the whole party is getting into the evangelism as well), but it's something to revisit occasionally between pillaging and marauding.

Some temples might welcome a new faith since it destabilises the status quo and gives them an opportunity to expand. For example, a deity like Beshaba might feel obliged to lend some support to the cult of Nightmare Space Worm because it helps tip things in her favour and she just loves to see people get hurt, so she wins regardless. Others might get involved because it furthers whatever obscure plots they have, even if they aren't in a related portfolio or alignment.

A dominant lawful good religion like stereotypical do-gooder paladins would be ideologically threatened by the rise of a new evil/chaotic one, but even if they've got the law, the land and an army behind them they're not obliged to instantly crush an upstart player. They might be hampered by honour, notions of mercy or even be hamstrung by the plain secular law of the land. Broadly speaking, paladins aren't allowed to just stab or arrest random people because they detect evil, you have to be an actual criminal first, though often just being a proscribed race or religion is justification enough (paladins are kind of racist when you think about it).

One of the fun approaches to being evil and/or chaotic is to actively challenge the axioms and assumptions that the lawful and good live by. Righteous paladins and clerics all have the stories of how they redeemed a bad guy and showed them the way of the light, and the opposite can happen as well. It's the right, nay, the duty of an evangelical antagonist (you) to explain and demonstrate why your way of living is best. Just as Mr Paladin can show that everyone has the spark of righteousness and selflessness, you can show that everyone is fundamentally selfish given half a chance. Everyone has a button to press, a flaw to exploit, a vice to surrender to, and with a bit of guidance they can throw aside the facade and live honestly and truly as they were meant to.

That said there's a lot of potential ideology and philosophy in the chaotic and evil end of town beyond "being a huge dick" so follow your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Skellybones posted:

Maybe do some thinking on how other religions will react to this new faith spreading around. Not that the entire game should be based around one player's gimmick (unless the whole party is getting into the evangelism as well), but it's something to revisit occasionally between pillaging and marauding.

Some temples might welcome a new faith since it destabilises the status quo and gives them an opportunity to expand. For example, a deity like Beshaba might feel obliged to lend some support to the cult of Nightmare Space Worm because it helps tip things in her favour and she just loves to see people get hurt, so she wins regardless. Others might get involved because it furthers whatever obscure plots they have, even if they aren't in a related portfolio or alignment.

A dominant lawful good religion like stereotypical do-gooder paladins would be ideologically threatened by the rise of a new evil/chaotic one, but even if they've got the law, the land and an army behind them they're not obliged to instantly crush an upstart player. They might be hampered by honour, notions of mercy or even be hamstrung by the plain secular law of the land. Broadly speaking, paladins aren't allowed to just stab or arrest random people because they detect evil, you have to be an actual criminal first, though often just being a proscribed race or religion is justification enough (paladins are kind of racist when you think about it).

One of the fun approaches to being evil and/or chaotic is to actively challenge the axioms and assumptions that the lawful and good live by. Righteous paladins and clerics all have the stories of how they redeemed a bad guy and showed them the way of the light, and the opposite can happen as well. It's the right, nay, the duty of an evangelical antagonist (you) to explain and demonstrate why your way of living is best. Just as Mr Paladin can show that everyone has the spark of righteousness and selflessness, you can show that everyone is fundamentally selfish given half a chance. Everyone has a button to press, a flaw to exploit, a vice to surrender to, and with a bit of guidance they can throw aside the facade and live honestly and truly as they were meant to.

That said there's a lot of potential ideology and philosophy in the chaotic and evil end of town beyond "being a huge dick" so follow your heart.

This is wonderful, thank you!