Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Season 2 of Man in the High Castle just posted on Amazon Prime.

How many seasons will it take to get through all the books, or is this series indefinite as long as it's doing well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Kickboxer: Vengeance was a C- movie with A+ credits.

Watch it for the credits.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I posted about this in another thread, but The Siege of Jadotville on a Netflix is good if you enjoy watching young brave Irishmen rejecting the advances of sultry temptresses. Also the majority of the film is Starship Troopers except played straight and with black men instead of big monsters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Season 2 of Man in the High Castle just posted on Amazon Prime.

How many seasons will it take to get through all the books, or is this series indefinite as long as it's doing well?

It was one book that was about 180 pages, and they covered nearly all the plot in the first season. I'm pretty excited to see where they go from here.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Started watching The OA on Netflix. Pretty drat good only two episodes in. A lot of really touching and wtf moments. I've heard it gets a little sci-fi but so far haven't seen any of that.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
For anyone with two and a half hours to kill over the holidays, until the end of the year Amazon has Tora! Tora! Tora! available on Prime. 1970 epic about the run-up to and day of Pearl Harbor, for anyone who wants to watch a buttload of ships and planes, but mercifully free of Ben Affleck.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Rolo posted:

Kickboxer: Vengeance was a C- movie with A+ credits.

Watch it for the credits.

I started watching this and got bad motion sickness. Couldn't make it ten minutes in because as soon as any action happened the camera sways like it's on a boat, and there are so, so many quick split second cuts between different angles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Davinci posted:

I started watching this and got bad motion sickness. Couldn't make it ten minutes in because as soon as any action happened the camera sways like it's on a boat, and there are so, so many quick split second cuts between different angles.

Yeah I don't get motion sick but I definitely noticed how insanely jerky this movie was.

For substance that is speaking of which, here's a cool 10 minute documentary on good action movie fight sequences for those that somehow haven't seen it here yet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Grem posted:

Started watching The OA on Netflix. Pretty drat good only two episodes in. A lot of really touching and wtf moments. I've heard it gets a little sci-fi but so far haven't seen any of that.

I couldn't stand this show, the dialogue and pacing were just atrocious. Just teasing and teasing for very little payoff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just teasing and teasing for very little payoff.

But enough about your sex life

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:rimshot:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Actually I just finished the OA and it had a pretty dumb ending so now I agree. Don't watch.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I have not seen an ending that hilariously bad in quite some time. The characters thwart a school shooting with the POWER OF DANCE.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
By the description I knew it was going to either be really good or really bad, but I ended up enjoying A Field in England on Prime. It's a surreal/psychedelic film set during the English Civil War. It does a pretty impressive job packing a lot of atmosphere and emotion into a very small cast and setting, vaguely reminds me of The Assassination of Jesse James in mood, just scrunched down into one afternoon and more trippy.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

John Big Booty posted:

I have not seen an ending that hilariously bad in quite some time. The characters thwart a school shooting with the POWER OF DANCE.

Too bad this is used in a terrible show because I bet it'd be right at home in that new Twin Peaks stuff David Lynch is doing for Showtime.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Too bad this is used in a terrible show because I bet it'd be right at home in that new Twin Peaks stuff David Lynch is doing for Showtime.

Not even Lynch could save that show. The OA is a loving trainwreck, and not the interesting kind either.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not Netflix or Amazon Prime but I just discovered last week that the Channel 4 streaming service All4 has, apart from lots of other quality television series, the entire run of the Adam and Joe show, nice wee hit of nostalgia for myself.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm Not A Serial Killer is a movie about a teenage sociopath in smalltown America struggling with his condition.
There's more to it but any horror fan should see it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm Not A Serial Killer is a movie about a teenage sociopath in smalltown America struggling with his condition.

It has Christopher Lloyd in it? If I ever get a day off I'm down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

It has Christopher Lloyd in it? If I ever get a day off I'm down.

Yep and he's not a bit part or anything.
I was surprised at how much I liked it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Was looking through new series on Amazon and they are getting some weird and off the wall stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Here's a weird question, does anyone have any good TV or movies that can be listened to? I'm running out of audiobooks and podcasts so I need something new to listen to at work

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
How do you run out of podcasts?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Deadite posted:

Yeah, for real.
Go check out the Rapidly Going Deaf subforum and throw a dart.

Edit: Pernicious is a horror movie about three white ladies going to Thailand and one of them being culturally insensitive.
It's not good but it gets my recommendation because the slutty character is also the smartest.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Dec 25, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deadite posted:

I like the ones that are more audio drama and less people talking into a microphone. That second one is everywhere but that first category isn't anywhere near as broad.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
As cheesy as it sounds, the anime series Silver Spoon on Netflix has a lot of heart. A Japanese teenager with no goals or direction in life flounders in the rigid school system and chooses to go to an agricultural high school with a focus in dairy science. While it's a pretty idyllic depiction of farming (no chicks being ground up or whatever), he gains an appreciation for the production of food, contends with the ethics of meat-eating, and learns the value of working with your hands in a very Waldenesque way.

Len posted:

I like the ones that are more audio drama and less people talking into a microphone. That second one is everywhere but that first category isn't anywhere near as broad.

Have you listened to Selected Shorts? This episode opens with Stephen Lang reading an excerpt from The Iliad and it's one of my favorite pieces of audio. https://www.podfeed.net/episode/Tales+from+the+Great+Epics/2132832

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crazy Heads is a British dark comedy about two women that can see demons and do their best to fight them.
They are... not great at it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

It's really fun and funny, and it's based on a YA series of YA crime novels about a wannabe-sociopath who's basically Fox Mulder.

Knowing that it's based on a long-running series of novels also helps explain a few of the things which seem to be left just kind of hanging or unexplained - such as the hot chick who's into th protagnist but he never really notices or acknowledges her the whole time (because they get together in later books). It's also weird that this is an indie Irish movie but almost everyone is not Irish except for the shrink.

I'm kinda interested in looking up the John Wayne Cleaver novels because they sound fun.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Though I feel a little silly for watching it, I am genuinely enjoying Cartoon Network's Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated (2010-2013). It's still a kids show, but it feels more Buffyish than past iterations, and is decently clever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Though I feel a little silly for watching it, I am genuinely enjoying Cartoon Network's Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated (2010-2013). It's still a kids show, but it feels more Buffyish than past iterations, and is decently clever.

It's the only Scooby Doo I've ever actually enjoyed, other than WrestleMania Mystery.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Inzombiac posted:

Crazy Heads is a British dark comedy about two women that can see demons and do their best to fight them.

This is great. Thanks for the recommendation.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Here are a few things I don't think I've seen mentioned on here:

* The Panic in Needle Park--This is the movie that Requiem for a Dream wishes it was (and I like Requiem). It's a harrowing look at heroin addiction, from which there's no escape, just a circling down further and further. Also features a brief cameo of Raul Julia, for people who like that kind of thing.

* An Unmarried Woman--A woman has to figure out who she is and what to do with her life after her husband leaves her for another woman. Jill Clayburgh is excellent in depicting a realistic portrayal of a middle-aged woman who has to figure out love, sex, etc., again.

*Tabloid--This is a documentary of a woman who, back in the 70s, kidnapped her boyfriend while he was on a Mormon mission. It's a whole bunch of crazy in the "I'll get the popcorn" kind of way.

*Better Off Ted--This show rules, and it sucks that it got cancelled. It's about a guy named Ted who works for an extremely evil corporation full of weirdos. It's really funny.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Better Off Ted rules.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Better Off Ted rules.

It is beyond fantastic, I third the recommendation.

It captures that feeling of "Why are we doing this, this is loving stupid" feeling of working at a large company well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Always Sunny season eleven is up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Watched the first episode, it's so British, but I enjoyed it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Inzombiac posted:

Always Sunny season eleven is up.

And it's really disappointing too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oldstench posted:

And it's really disappointing too.

Yeah. A lot of retreads and the finale is pretty frigging obvious. But hey, I didn't hate my time watching it.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
The ski resort episode was solid, but overall the season was kinda weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

My wife loved it, I thought it was good enough too.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Better Off Ted rules.

Yes, yes it does. Props to the crew behind those fake commercials, especially.