Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks i might email ya

does One Mans Dream still have this display in it? I forgot to look last month

http://guide2wdw.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Walt-Disney-One-Mans-Dream-Past-Epcot-Attractions-Hollywood-Studios-Attraction.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://disneyparksmerchandise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/January_Releases_12122016.jpg

also theres a 20k leagues pin with piece of history being released, the last one that came out I got back in 2004 and ended up selling it for like $800, so if anyone in the parks grab one! (or if you can grab me one too ill pay you back)

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Just sent you an email, Braks. My February work trip is happening so some friends and I are making a weekend of it afterward :woop: We'll probably do Disney Springs on Friday, AK and Epcot on Saturday and Sunday, and then do a monorail tour of the deluxe resorts on Monday since our flights aren't until the evening. Can't wait.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

As a question, if we don't purchase a Disney Dining plan as part of a package from WaltDisneyWorld, can we still eat food within the park? If so, how? New to this, so trying to plan out things affordably is a bit overwhelming.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes you just pay regularrly.

there's two types of dining basically; fast food go up to a counter order what you want wait a minute then leave or sit down restaurant

i beleiver every single sit down restaurant on property requires a reservation, which you can do ahead of time on the Disney Experience site.

I usually only do the counter service ones, heres my reccomendations for best at each park:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill (Mexican, toppings bar)
Cosmic Rays (Normal theme park food)
Caseys Hotdogs (hotdogs)

EPCOT:
Every country has a quick service except france, so pick a country you feel like eating at. We usually go to the one in Japan or China
Sunshine Seasons (The Land Pavillion, lots of different foods)

MGM:
There really isn't a decent counter one here anymore. Pizzarizzo is cool for it's atmosphere if you're from New england / new york but its food is pretty subpar.

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree Barbecue is amazing.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

TV Zombie posted:

As a question, if we don't purchase a Disney Dining plan as part of a package from WaltDisneyWorld, can we still eat food within the park? If so, how? New to this, so trying to plan out things affordably is a bit overwhelming.

You can pay with cash or credit for food. Not everyone can get the dining plan or even chooses it. You give them money. They give you food.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
There's a quick service in France, Les Halles? I can't remember if that's the name but I've grabbed food there several times.

Meal plan is good if you like planning out meals and using them to score some great things at fancy places or buffets or character meals. I liked it great for myself, great when I planned everything out for my family trip (me and my parents). When it was me and my husband, we just paid out of pocket and only had 1-3 actual reserved meals.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is a meal plan cheaper than buying through cash/credit? Or is there no difference? I'm just wondering if there was any benefit for either way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TV Zombie posted:

Is a meal plan cheaper than buying through cash/credit? Or is there no difference? I'm just wondering if there was any benefit for either way.

Depends entirely on what restaurants you pick and how much you would eat if paying cash. We loved the deluxe meal plan (1 quick service, 1 table service, 1 snack per day), it let us focus solely on what we wanted to eat, try new things since we rarely order appetizers or desserts, and generally made each trip much more stress free. If you are a light eater, the table service meals will be way too much food on the plan and you'd come out cheaper paying straight up, but if you want to indulge and plan table service meals each day then it's a great option.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Magic Kingdom:
Pecos Bill (Mexican, toppings bar)
Cosmic Rays (Normal theme park food)
Caseys Hotdogs (hotdogs)

EPCOT:
Every country has a quick service except france, so pick a country you feel like eating at. We usually go to the one in Japan or China
Sunshine Seasons (The Land Pavillion, lots of different foods)

MGM:
There really isn't a decent counter one here anymore. Pizzarizzo is cool for it's atmosphere if you're from New england / new york but its food is pretty subpar.

Animal Kingdom:
Flame Tree Barbecue is amazing.
Harbor House by the haunted mansion is my favorite by far. The food is decent for park quick service and you can people watch upstairs looking out the windows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being from New England I never go there but yeah I always hear it's good

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TV Zombie posted:

I've got a post with my thoughts on this. Let me post this so I can dig it up.

Edit: found it.

quote:

We got the free dining promotion (thanks again Braksgirl!), and while we hope to go during the promotion again, we've thought about whether we'd spring for the dining plan. We've settled on a tentative yes. Here's the thing - it absolutely is a ton of food and a lot of it will end up sweet (desserts with every meal + snacks that frequently end up being dessert-ish). So, right off the top, if anyone in your party is a light eater or if "eat 3-4 desserts a day" doesn't sound like their idea of a good time, don't do it. It's also hard to argue that the DDP is worth it in the strict financial sense. It's not incredibly difficult to buy things on the plan that add up to its cost (and this has been more true this year, when quick service prices went up more than usual), but you still have to try. If I set aside $60/day per person, I probably could stay in that budget without too much difficulty. That being said, there is something very luxurious about being able to look at a menu and ignore prices that day. If you've ever stayed at an all inclusive resort, it's very much a similar feeling. For me, even if I know I have money budgeted for a specific meal, I'd be hesitant to order the entree that's more expensive than anything else on the menu. I certainly wouldn't have gotten dessert at every meal. This effect will vary from person to person, so I can't honestly say how much it should sway you, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

A random note about the dining plan that we found out a couple days in - at most restaurants, any non-alcoholic beverage is included. At Sci Fi Dine-In, my SO got a milkshake for her beverage. Cost-effective and delicious! I took to getting coffee with dessert rather than a soda near the end of the trip, which was also included.

Also, regarding quick service options - Harambe Market at AK is also very good.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 31, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whenever i go Harambe Market is never cfucking open, so I think its first in the parks "close when quiet" or "close first" list.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

They have changed the dining plan for 2017, though. Now you get an entree and a drink at QS locations and your snack credits bump up from one credit to two. So if you're not a person that likes dessert at every meal, you have the flexibility of that other snack credit. A snack credit can be used on basically anything that is a single serving. That could be an order of french fries, a box of popcorn, a Dole Whip, a cupcake, a Mickey Bar, a pretzel, etc. So if you're less into sweets and more into savories, that's a good change for you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

They have changed the dining plan for 2017, though. Now you get an entree and a drink at QS locations and your snack credits bump up from one credit to two. So if you're not a person that likes dessert at every meal, you have the flexibility of that other snack credit. A snack credit can be used on basically anything that is a single serving. That could be an order of french fries, a box of popcorn, a Dole Whip, a cupcake, a Mickey Bar, a pretzel, etc. So if you're less into sweets and more into savories, that's a good change for you.

I personally think this is a vast improvement because I never cared for the dessert they offer at most QS dining options. Having an extra snack credit to blow on my daily Starbucks coffee is awesome. Or another one to waste during food and wine fest.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
It means two more Dole Whips a day!

I think the standard meal plan is good if you like to plan things in advance, and if you like to have 1-2 great meals a day. If you just want to be super spontaneous- paying at point of service, or quick service plan may be better. The next time I go, I'll use the standard plan again, because planning out meals is enjoyable for me, and I like trying new places all the time. I didn't use it last trip because my husband didn't want a "planned and regimented" trip.

I think it would be nice if you could see a running tally of your meals via app/computer, as keeping mental track with the receipts is slightly annoying. #pipedreams

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Why they haven't incorporated it into the app yet is beyond me. It would have helped this poor woman next to us at dinner in the castle whose husband used all their dining credits on breakfast every morning without realizing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Why they haven't incorporated it into the app yet is beyond me. It would have helped this poor woman next to us at dinner in the castle whose husband used all their dining credits on breakfast every morning without realizing it.

...exactly how much food is that?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
At the Hilton Bonnet Creek right now and the war stories from people who have been at the parks sound nuts. Massive crowds and MK is already doing capacity control. Glad I'm just chilling at the hotel tonight.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Animal Kingdom is pretty chill right now. Our plan is to be at Epcot tonight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mykkel posted:

Might want to head there early, when it gets close to capacity they'll start diverting people elsewhere. I think they did that on the 4th of July.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Mykkel posted:

Good luck! I'm off at 915 and planning on being far far away. People are camping on grass already.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Cais posted:

Good luck! I'm off at 915 and planning on being far far away. People are camping on grass already.

Wife and daughter decided we had to do Magic Kingdom. People are sitting along main street now for fireworks show in three hours. This is madness. On the other hand the Cast Members I have interacted with are really good actors, as they appear happy to be here.

Will post throughout evening as my brain melts. :confuoot:

Eating at Harbour House for first time small line. Once you get past Main Street it's not so bad. Pirates is 70 minutes. :shrug:

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 1, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The 7.30 fireworks nearly blew poo poo off my walls at the house it was so damned crazy. We're smart enough to go visit the neighbors up the street for their NYE party then head off to the bike path where we can watch the entire fireworks form the comfort of our neighborhood. No DUI's, no road rage, not getting murdered. Wins all around.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Same here, we'll be watching them from the balcony of our condo. Saw a glimpse of them last night at midnight while walking the dogs, holy hell they were massive and long.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey speaking of locals, im moving to zephyrhills in like a month, do you guys have any reccomendations for good places to eat and experience inj the area (im like 1 hour from disney)?

also whats cheaper, winn dixie or publix? or walmart? or is there some kind of "moral culture" between the three like up here with Trader Joes and Shaws etc?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Publix is employee owned at some level. Walmart is probably cheapest.

40 minute wait for Haunted Mansion. Yeah saw 7:30 fireworks from harbour house. Pretty impressive.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks.

i heard wonders of life was open today? like what would even be open in there? or just as a resting area

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

drat. Watched the show next to the carousel. Never been surrounded by fire works before. Awesome will do New Years Eve here again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Watched the fireworks from the balcony of my apartment and it's a better view than I usually get in the parks. living here doesn't suck.

Also, if Wonders of Life was open today, it was probably just for decompression/rest space, because all the poo poo in there is either rotting away or has been taken out. All the pods for Body Wars are now spare parts for Star Tours

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My family has been doing studios for new year's for a while. It is generally quieter, you don't get crazy lines, is easy to get a drink, and since we stay at the epcot resorts it is very convenient, plus they always had magic hours immediately after midnight. But god they must be trying to actively push people away. They got rid of mulch, sweat and shears last year. This year, not only did they cancel the magic hours, but the fireworks were just the afternoon star wars one repeated, preceded by the saddest dance group. Which also meant that most drink carts were closed by midnight.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mykkel posted:

Publix is employee owned at some level. Walmart is probably cheapest.

Publix stock can only be owned by employees or ex-employees and they hand out stock like candy to employees iirc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Publix also often has a good deli with a prepared foods section (both pre-packaged entrees like pot roasts that just need some minor cooking to finish and freshly prepared items like salmon and salads that they scoop up and box on request), so you can get a proper meal that's better than frozen food in a microwave but doesn't really need any preparation.

Apparently Frozen topped out at 5 hours last night and Test Track at 3 hours. I don't even know what compels people to keep getting in a line that long. Is standing in line for 5 hours really that great even with friends?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So for a Christmas present I've been offered any tour of my choice when I go in May, so I've been wondering what to go on.

Last time I went I did the keys to the kingdom tour and I enjoyed that, so is there anything else that's similar?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
5 hours? 30 min is the longest one should wait for Frozen, and even that is questionable. Jesus that's insane.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Icedude posted:

So for a Christmas present I've been offered any tour of my choice when I go in May, so I've been wondering what to go on.

Last time I went I did the keys to the kingdom tour and I enjoyed that, so is there anything else that's similar?

What about the walking trail tour in AK, the one where you go above ground in the elevated ropes that are over the Kilimanjaro Safari? I bet that's cool.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Watched the fireworks from the balcony of my apartment and it's a better view than I usually get in the parks. living here doesn't suck.

Also, if Wonders of Life was open today, it was probably just for decompression/rest space, because all the poo poo in there is either rotting away or has been taken out. All the pods for Body Wars are now spare parts for Star Tours

This makes me sad as hell because it'd hypothetically be the easiest thing in the world to update Cranium Command into an Inside Out show. Was losing the MET sponsorship really that much of a death sentence?

Do we know what's going to be happening in AK evenings in mid-February? I've been helping plan a big family trip and it turns out I'm the only one who is even aware that it isn't a "half-day park" anymore. (I mean it never was for me; I love animals. Can't wait to drag the fam to Flights of Wonder. :derptiel: )

The new arts festival at Epcot sounds pretty cool -- and it ends the day I arrive. :ughh:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Being in Walt Disney World for NYE is one hell of an experience.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Unmature posted:

Being in Walt Disney World for NYE is one hell of an experience.

Good experience, or bad experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like the famous outdoor margarita kiosk in Mexico is getting themed and expanded upon. All for it!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/new-choza-tequila-coming-to-epcot-in-2017-at-walt-disney-world-resort/