Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Was gone for New Year's Eve but will most likely have my preview up this evening. Disclaimer: Opinions will be horribly wrong due to having no idea how your stadiums and sliders influence your performances.

Edit: It is mostly done but I have forgotten how much work it is so it will be delayed till tomorrow.

CVE fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

SL XXI Punjabi Prison Preview Extraordinaire

This season, the Punjabi Prision is in a state of turmoil, as the Aperture scientists will not be here for the first time since Subpar league 3. In their place, we have two new teams, and two old, famous teams coming down from the SL for the first time.

We start with the only veterans coming back from Subpar Season 7, the W.E.B Dat Bois, a team with a name that is nowhere near as endearing as it was the first time I saw it back in its EC thread. They came only 4 games short last season of promotion, but can they do it again in a much stronger division?

Next we have a new team, allegedly run by Kensei's wife. Is this the truth, or only an excuse by a veteran owner to try making a second account? Regardless will the strong bullpen of the Centralia Corgis be enough to get them through?

We then move on to legends themselves, the now Bath Rakers. No matter where exactly in the United Kingdom they are, the Rakers have existed since SL 9, and have even made it to the finals of the SL itself, so they are certainly hoping that this is just a short trip down to the Subpar.

Harlock returns to the Subpar league with his new team, the Enix Slimes, hoping to do better than his previous Small Market Superstars. Will the knowledge of what didn't work on his previous team help him here?

And finally, we have the man, the myth, the legend himself, mrnoun, finally coming down to the subpar league. His many stadium changes last season were not to the benefit of the Luna Landers, and they find themselves here, in the Punjabi Prison. Will anyone be able to stop the former champion from climbing back to the Super league?

Catchers

1 . 1927 Mickey Cochrane / 1969 Joe Torre (BAT)
2. 1967 Joe Torre / 1939 Ernie Lombardi (ENX)
3. LUN 1938 Ernie Lombardi (LUN)
4. 2014 Buster Posey / 1974 Johnny Bench (CEN)
5. WEB 1960 Joe Torre (WEB)

This is actually a pretty good group of catchers for the subpar league, although with a surprising amounts of Joe Torres. Cochrane is one of the best hitting catchers available, with good defense and a good eye. Torre is a good hitter for a catcher, but he's far less good with the glove. Great as a small spoon platoon option for the Rakers though. I'm a little less fond of him as the big spoon for the Slimes, but he's still a good option, with Lombardi acting as a more than capable small spoon. Again, I'm slightly less fond of him full time, but Lombardi is a perfectly serviceable starting catcher, even if he is the slowest man to ever play major league baseball well. In theory, the small spoon of the Corgis, Johnny Bench, should easily be the best catcher in this division, but in practice, mogul hates his strikeouts and low averages. He still brings good defense and pop though. I'm less enthused with the big spoon of Buster Posey, because he's never really been anything more than serviceable in the super league. This is the best aged one to ever been used though, so maybe I'll be wrong. The Dat Bois Torre is in last place for one reason, age. In 1960, Joe Torre played all of 2 games for the Braves. While he has a better track record in the SL and subpar than I was expecting for someone at his age, I'm not trusting a bat first player who played all of 2 games that season to consistently hit well.

1B

1.1927 Jimmie Foxx (BAT)
2. 1998 Jimmy Bagwell (WEB)
3. 1962 Frank Robinson (LUN)
4. 1939 Johnny Mize 2016 Han-Ram (ENX)
5. ??? (CEN)

Still a mostly good group at 1B. A decently aged Foxx is the really only true star here, as he is yet to succumb to the horrors of alcoholism in 1927, even if he is only 19. Bagwell is surprisingly mediocre in the SL. He's going to be okay, but unless you get that one season where he was SL MVP by a mile, he's not going to be much more than that with the bat, although Bagwell also brings good defense and base running at 1B. Frank Robinson isn't a 1B. I know baseball reference lists it as one of his positions, but he only played 300 games over the course of 12 seasons there. The bat will play, 1962 is a great age for him, and has mostly been good to great in the SL, but his defense is not going to be what you hope for, even by 1B standards. Mize is good. Prior to KW's current team he never really got a fair shake, especially at a good age, but in 1939 Mize lead the league in average, slugging, and home runs. Less great is Han-Ram. The problem with Hanley is that he's a collection of interesting baseball tools that sometimes combines into a good player. At SS or 3B, as long as you're willing to deal with some mediocre fielding, he'll do good work at the plate. At 1B, the expectations are much higher, and I'm not sure that he'll be able to reach them. Hell, I'm not sure if mogul even thinks that he can play 1B worth a drat, 2016 update or not. Finally, I have no idea who's supposed to be playing 1B for the Corgis. The lineup post says that the only 1Bs on the 30 man are Miggy, Helton, and Berkman in the Minors, but the lineups have Edwin Encarnacion as the starting first baseman. Regardless, all four would come in last. Cabrera is a frustrating player in the SL, given that he usually ends up being a roughly league average right handed 1B, instead of the really good hitter he is in real life. Helton is aggressively mediocre because mogul has no idea how to look at his coors inflated stats, Berkman is more of a good bench piece than an effective starter, due to his righty lefty splits. Encarnacion is hurt by his late ascendance to effective baseballing and high number of strikeouts.

2B

1. 1926 Rogers Hornsby (BAT)
2. 1975 Rod Carew / 1939 Billy Herman (ENX)
3. 2016 Robinson Cano / 2016 Jose Altuve (CEN)
4. 1978 Bobby Grich (LUN)
5. 1952 Bobby Avila (WEB)

2B is where we start seeing some drop off in the quality of players. Hornsby is, of course an elite player at 2B, with a phenomenal bat and the ability to mostly play 2B. Just to make it perfectly clear though, Hornsby's struggles at 2B aren't due to a deadball glove or anything, he was just an indifferent fielder at 2B, who stayed at the position mostly because he was the star of the team, and goddamnit he was going to play 2B even if it wasn't good for anyone but him. Carew is mostly fine. If he hits for contact like he does most seasons around this age, he'll be a net positive for the team, bad defense or not, and Herman is an effective small spoon guy. Cano and Altuve are going to disappoint the Corgis. Mogul just seems to have a massive hate on for Cano, thinking that he's not only a mediocre hitter, but a meh defender as well. Altuve did well in the EC, but I'm not sure he has enough time IRL to work in a super league environment yet, but there is hope. Grich is there for one reason, and one reason only, defense. He'll play good defense, hit like poo poo, and do what the Landers expect of him, nothing more. Avila is filler, and not particularly good filler at that. The Bois will want to upgrade on him as soon as possible.

3B

1. 1985 Wade Boggs (CEN)
2. 1943 Arky Vaughan (BAT)
3. 1955 Ken Boyer (ENX)
4. 1948 Ken Keltner (LUN)
5. 1992 Cal Ripken (WEB)

Wade Boggs is pretty much the Ideal of a 3B in the SL, short of some kind of super created player. He hits for average, he has a good eye, and he plays good defense. Arky Vaughn is only playing 3B for the Rakers because they happened to trade away this exact Boggs for magic beans 2 seasons ago to the Beer Leaguers. He still has the bat to profile at 3B, but it would look so much better at SS. Ken Boyer is basically a poor man's Ron Santo. He'll play defense, hit some dingers, and mostly be okay. He doesn't have much of a SL history, but at 3B, you could do much worse. Keltner is a true mrnoun special in that I have no idea who he is or how well he's going to do in the SL. His real life stats make me think he'll do fine, but players from his era haven't always had the best transitions to the SL before. On the other hand, it's mrnoun. He could probably make a mogul created guy work. Ripken last is mostly because a good aged Ripken has no business playing anything but SS. Despite how he was in real life, mogul seems to see Ripken as a glove first, mostly no bat SS with pretty drat good defense. At SS, that's acceptable, hell, even good. At 3B? A little less so. It'd be one thing if you had another stud at SS, but as we're about to see, that isn't really the case.

SS

1. 1939 Arky Vaughn (ENX)
2. 1940 Arky Vaughn (CEN)
3. 1983 Cal Ripken (LUN)
4. 1997 Nomar Garciaparra (BAT)
5. 1995 Barry Larkin (WEB)

Arky Vaughn is really, really good. He hits lefty, hits well, and plays mostly good defense at SS, which is about all you can ask of him. Given his slightly strange career arc, I'll take the slightly younger one, but either will do great. Now, I know the lineup says that the Corgis are platooning their Vaughn with Ian Desmond, but there's absolutely no way that anyone would ever do such a thing, so I'm just going to pretend that it wasn't posted. Ripken is still a glove first SS, and much better now that he's actually playing SS. Nomar is kind of a high rent Han-Ram, but with more consistency. I don't love his defense, which is an issue at SS, but he's still a good and useful player to have. In real life, Barry Larkin was good at everything without being great at anything. In the SL, he's mediocre at everything, and not really someone you want to start unless you absolutely have to. If only the Bois happened to have a better, all glove defense SS playing some other position...

LF

1. 1955 Stan Musial (ENX)
2. 1983 Tim Raines (LUN)
3. 1960 Hank Aaron (WEB)
4. 1927 Al Simmons (BAT)
5. 1997 Larry Walker / 1932 Ben Chapman (CEN)

Gotta have Stan the Man in first place. This one is getting a bit long in the tooth, but he's been effective, if not exactly a star, 10 years older than this version. I'm not sure this version is going to be the true Stan the Man experience, but he'll be good regardless. Tim Raines Star has fallen a bit in recent seasons of the SL. He was a clear 1st round talent for much of the league's history, and a key cog of the title winning Dopple-Bangers. He hasn't really been seen as on that level in a while though. I do like him here, though. He's an effective leadoff man, and his defense is substantially better in LF than it is in Center. While he's not a better player irl than the guys behind him, I do think that he'll be better for his team than they will be. Hank Aaron is another one of the disappointing SL stars, but this time it's not really moguls fault. Aaron is talked about as one of the greatest players ever as much because he was good for so long, compared to how good he was in any given year. While he was, in fact, really good some of those years, many of them were in the 60s, when pitching ruled. As long as he played, Aaron never hit more than 47 home runs in a season. Combine that with the malus every hitter takes in the SL, and you get a hitter who tends to be good instead of great. Good is nice, sure, but when he's named Hank loving Aaron, you want a little more than good. Al Simmons is also good, but he doesn't have the legacy of the one of all time greats weighing him down. He'll do most everything well. Walker is another guy hurt by Coors. Mogul looks at his video game numbers and assumes that he's a good hitter instead of a great one. He still is usually good, but when he's bad, he's nearly unplayable. Having a caddy at this age is a decent idea, given his injury issues, but I'm not sure Ben Chapman is that guy. He does have a decent record in a small sample size, and a pretty good eye IRL, but I can't rank someone with all of a season and a half or so in the SL higher than this.

CF

1. 1915 Tris Speaker (WEB)
2. 1961 Willie Mays (BAT)
3. 1938 Joe DiMaggio (LUN)
4. 1936 Earl Averill / 1939 Joe Medwick (ENX)
5. 2016 Mike Trout (CEN)

Short of somehow getting a hold of Oscar Charleston, Speaker is the best possible CF in the SL. He gets on base, steals bases, and hits decently, all with a strong enough arm to be useful despite his deadball glove. 1915 is even a great age for him. In real life, Willie Mays is clearly the best CF in history, bar none, end of story. In the SL, not so much. Mogul doesn't love his bat, his defense, his speed, anything. He's still useful, being mostly decent to good at everything, but he's not what you hope he'd be. Younger is usually better with Mays though, and 1961 is a mostly young age. DiMaggio si a tad young in 1938, and not as good as Mays to begin with. However, mrnoun has had more success with DiMaggio than anyone, so I expect him to do better than I would for, say, Craig. Earl Averill is a pretty decent CF, who's getting a bit old in 1936, so a caddy makes sense. Medwick does not make sense as that caddy, however. He had 19 career games in CF, which worries me quite a bit. If he was some kind of elite hitter, the way that a young Barry Bonds can be, or a great runner, like Rickey Henderson, I'd get it, but he's not either. It's gonna end poorly. Mike Trout should be better than last. Hell, statistically he's up there with Mays and DiMaggio, and I don't think I'm going too far in saying that IRL he has the potential to be one of the all time greats. In the SL though? He's going to strike out, a lot. Like, a whole lot. He was decent in the EC, but the pitching is nowhere near as strong there as it's going to be here, and iirc he still struck out like 200 times. It's gonna be rough.

RF

1. 1939 Mel Ott (ENX)
2. 1993 Gary Sheffield (CEN)
3. 1967 Hank Aaron (LUN)
4. 1993 Tony Gwynn (WEB)
5. 1892 Sam Thompson / 1958 Al Kaline Platoon

Ott an interesting player IRL. Despite being absolutely tiny by baseball standards at 5”9', 170 pounds, he is a member of the 500 HR club. but it came almost solely because of his longtime home stadium, the Polo grounds. He was a pure pull hitter who hit some 63% of his career home runs at home. That seems to bug mogul a bit, as he tends to only hit around 20 home runs a season here, despite his prolific real life numbers. Sheff's a good hitter, but for a steroid era corner outfielder, he's not going to hit that many home runs. He's still going to hit well, but his defensive defenses tend to hurt him, even in RF. Hank Aaron is still disappointing, and it's just going to be worse in 1967, where he was 33. In real life, Aaron's decline phase didn't really start until 1971, where injuries really started to take their toll on how much he could play. Mogul, on the other hand, doesn't really get unusual careers, and sees a 33 year old corner OF and and doesn't care as much that he was an all star and hit well for another 7 seasons. Tony Gwynn is hurt by mogul in a different way. Mogul thinks he had a noodle arm, and mediocre defense. For a lot of Corner OF, that wouldn't be an issue.. For a contact speed guy who, worst case scenario, might slug in the .300s, that's a bit more of an issue, and by 1995 Gwynn is getting old. Sam Thompson is a good, if kinda generic pre-deadball OF. He hits for average, takes a couple of walks, and hits enough doubles to usually have a decent slugging percentage. He doesn't really bring anything paticularly sexy to a corner OF spot, but he'll probably do decently enough against right handed pitching.

DH

1. 1999 Manny Ramirez (LUN)
2. 1993 Gary Sheffield (WEB)
3. 1953 Mickey Mantle (ENX)
4. 1895 Willie Keeler / 2013 Miguel Cabrera (BAT)
5. 2016 Miguel Cabrera (CEN)

Man-Ram is an interesting player in the SL. The 1995 version has some real garbage seasons. The old one has some real mediocre seasons. The prime ones though? From about 1996 to 2003., Manny tends to be a force of loving nature, crushing baseballs and pretending to play defense. Luckily, at DH, he doesn't even have to pretend. Wait, didn't I already talk about 1993 Gary Sheffield? Oh, this is the Padres one instead of the Marlins one. Okay, he's still a good hitter, and more useful now that he doesn't have to play defense. I'm not a fan of Mickey Mantle at DH. In the SL, he's not a great hitter. He strikes out a bunch, and his power doesn't play as well in this environment as it did in real life. In centerfield though, that's fine. No, he's not a great defensive center fielder, but he's able to play it, and even his mogul bat is worth starting. At DH? That's less sure. Wee Wille Keeler is a former holder of the all time SL batting average crown, having hit .371 for the Premods back in SL12. Unfortunately, he doesn't bring a whole lot past that, with only an okay eye and generally pretty mediocre power. He's an okay leadoff man, and Miggy as a caddy against lefties helps, but even then he's really nothing special in as a DH. Miggy full time at DH is...fine. He's not terrible, but he's also not going to be anything special.

Bench

1. Platoon Partners, '87 Ryne Sandberg, '42 Joe Cronin (BAT)
2. '39 Harry Danning, '35 Tony Cuccinello, '35 Pinky Whitney, '40 Bob Elliott, '76 Reggie Smith (LUN)
3. Platoon Partners, '39 Stan Hack (ENX)
4. '92 Chris Hoiles, '60 Eddie Mathews, '52 Ray Boone, '52 Larry Doby (WEB)
5. Platoon Partners, '02 Tod Helton, '16 Josh Donaldons, 16 Ian Desmond (CEN)

I don't love any of the benches in this division. The Rakers are missing someone on the bench to play CF in case of injury, the Landers bench is full of guys I've never heard of and the beginnings of another Reggie Smith virus, the Slimes have no backup SS and no real backup CF, dat Bois anger me by actually having a starting caliber 3B to play instead of wasting Ripken there, and the Corgis have several modern guys who probably aren't going to be of any value. I've ranked it the way it is mostly because I have enough faith in the Rakers minor leaguers, and mrnouns ability to have some idea if the random players he plucks out of history will work.

SP1

1. 1909 Addie Joss (ENX)
2. 2015 Clayton Kershaw (CEN)
3. 1892 John Clarkson (BAT)
4. 1992 Greg Maddux (WEB)
5. 2016 Kelsie Whitmore (LUN)

Joss is a deadballer par excellence. His bad seasons tend to be more average than truly terrible, and as a deadballer who gets some strikeouts, he's incredibly useful to basically any kind of team. By 1909 he is getting close to his historical death to Tuberculosis, but he should be an ace regardless. Kershaw is basically a unicorn. A modern pitcher that mogul loves to death, and has been an ace for the Southpaws and Panderers. It will be interesting to see if he will continue to be good without pander's dark magicks backing him. John Clarkson is probably the most consistent of the commonly used predeadball pitchers, but he's generally been more good than great. As a braves fan, Maddux is kinda depressing in the SL. I want him to be the ace I saw growing up, but he ranges from “good #2 or low ace” to “christ that's bad”. He was good for the Bois last season, so let's hope he continues being good for them here. Whitmore is an engima. She was above average in the subpar, but I vaguely remember it being mentioned in irc that she was overachieving. I don't have a whole lot of faith that she will continue to be average, let alone an ace.

SP2

1. 1962 Juan Marichal (ENX)
2. 1882 Old Hoss Radbourn (BAT)
3. 1923 Dazzy Vance (WEB)
4. 1992 Brett Saberhagen (LUN)
5. 2014 Madison Bumgarner (CEN)

Marichal is a tad young in 1962, but he's a good solid groundball pitcher who generally keeps the ball in the park. Old Hoss actually lead his league in strikeouts in 1882, with all of 201 of them, over the course of 466 innings. Baseball was a different game back then. Old hoss is a hell of an innings eater though, Ks or no Ks. Vance was the best pitcher of the 1920s. Unfortunately, the 1920s were one of the most hitting oriented eras of baseball. He's not a terrible pitcher, but his rather odd career path and era adjustment hurt him in mogul. Saberhagen is a generic righthanded groundballer in the SL. He's not a terrible guy to have at the back end of your rotation, but he's not someone you want to have this early. I don't have a whole lot of faith in Bumgarner. So far he's only ever been used by the now H-Zephyrs franchise, and to varying degrees of success. This is the better aged Bumgarner we've ever seen, but his career SL WHIP so far does not inspire a whole lot of confidence in me.

SP3

1. 1903 Addie Joss (BAT)
2. 2002 Greg Maddux (WEB)
3. 1939 Paul Derringer (ENX)
4. 1984 Mike Scott (LUN)
5. 2016 Cole Hamels (CEN)

I'm not entirely sure why the Rakers are using their best SP at SP3, but whatever, he's still great. Maddux is getting real old in 2002, and I'm not sure he'll survive the year, but he's still, somehow, depressingly the second best SP3 in this division. Derringer is a no power, finese pitcher, who somehow gets deadball level groundball rates and tends to give up basically no homeruns. He's not an ideal SP3, especially with Rod Carew behind him at 2B most days, but he'll be fine. Mike Scott is another generic right hand filler groundballer. Cole Hamels has had some major struggles in the SL to date. He's a lefty without an overpowering fastball in a league full of right handed platoon power. He really hasn't even been great for Pander, and I don't know if he'll do well for the Corgis.

SP4

1. 1927 Lefty Grove (BAT)
2. 1971 Nolan Ryan (WEB)
3. 1992 Kevin Brown (ENX)
4. 2015 Zach Greinke (CEN)
5. 1976 Burt Hooton (LUN)

Lefty Grove is a groundballing lefty that mostly does fine. In real life, he's considered to be on of the greatest pitchers of all time. In the SL? The whole “lefty” thing tends to put him around a midrotation starter, which is a shame. Nolan Ryan is about right at SP4. On one hand, he's a starter for the New York Macho Men, and liable to strike 20 guys any game he starts. On the other hand, he's going to walk around 5 dudes a start if you're lucky. If I recall correctly, mogul seems to hate Greinke's stamina, limiting him to like 5 innings a start or so. That would be a big issue for a team that doesn't already want to get to the bullpen as soon as possible like the Corgis do. I have spent far longer than I really want to admit trying to come up with something interesting to say about Burt Hooton, but I am failing miserably. Like half of his good seasons have come under mrnoun teams, so I guess he could be fine?

SP5

1. 1965 Juan Marichal (BAT)
2. 1951 Warren Spahn (ENX)
3. 1983 Bryn Smith (LUN)
4. 2016 Masahiro Tanaka (CEN)
5. 1992 Andy Benes (WEB)

There are three distinct tiers of SP5 in this division. Marichal, who's clearly the best pitcher out of any of them, and someone who should be higher in the rotation. Spahn, who as a lefty without a great fastball, but good other things is about right at SP5, and the others, who are all probably going to suck. Smith has mostly been used as a reliever, so maybe he'll be better at starting? Tanaka has a home run problem in real life, and I don't see it being any easier in the SL. I have never heard of Andy Benes. I watched baseball for most of his career, and still couldn't tell you anything about him. He apparently had some good seasons, but I'm not seeing any reason for him to be particularly good in the SL.

Bullpen

1. Modern All stars (CEN)
2. Basically the 2016 Red Sox (ENX)
3. Trevor Hoffman plus sadness (WEB)
4. Lee smith plus dudes I've never heard of (LUN)
5. Smoltz, and mediocrity (BAT)

Bullpens are mostly a crapshoot, but the modern, extremely high K guys on the Corgis should do well. The other modern guys for the Slimes should do decently, but not as good as the all stars. Hoffman is good. The rest of the Bois bullpen is less good. Then we get more in to the tradtional “a couple decent dudes plus whoever was left on my feeders” bullpens.

Final thoughts

As much as I want to believe in mrnoun, I'm just not seeing the firepower from them to really compete with the Rakers. Despite a weakness in the bullpen, the Rakers are top to bottom the strongest team in the division, and probably headed back up to the SL next season. The Slimes are pretty strong for a new team, with only a few mostly minor weakness. If anyone is really going to compete with the Rakers on a talent level, I think it'll be them. Dat Bois are a stars and scrubs team. Normally, after a season these kinds of teams have enough depth to get rid of the scrubs, but the Bois have not. I don't think they'll be able to survive Bobby Avila and Barry Larkin in prominent roles. I want to love the Corgis. They had a phenomenal draft and I love the bullpen. They just have so many modern question marks that I just can't see them doing well. I have no loving clue how the landers will do. On a purely talent level they seem meh. The rotation looks to be hot garbage, and there aren't a whole lot of bats that look to be truly great. On the other hand, mrnoun. Betting against a multi time champion who's pulled random schmucks out of nowhere only for them to be great is what he does.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
If someone, and it definitely doesn't have to be gingemidget, can get me:

-Dynamo League Championship Banner for RCMP (SLXVII, SLXX)
-Smasher League Championship Banner for Portland Panderers (SLXX)
-Super-League Championship Banner for Portland Panderers (SLXX, should be a 150x150 image)

I'd done them myself, but art no good I do.

Also, DannoMack has released the following statement:

DannoMack posted:

Greetings, fellow owners!

It is difficult for all of you to understand what it is like to be part of a great country like Canada. (Yaya, of course, being from the degenerate section of Canada, is not counted as a proper Canadian in my eyes. As most Canadians will tell you, the only true Canadians are those from Eastern Ontario, the non-French parts of Quebec, scant though they may be, and the Atlantic provinces, but only as far east as Halifax, and certainly excluding Newfoundland.)

I, however, take great pride in my country. As such, though I hold many titles, none of them, especially the United States and European titles, mean anything to me save for the Canadian title.

Therefore, as of today, I hereby relinquish all of them save for the Canadian title, the greatest title of them all.

As a result, the other six titles are vacated. The Khartoum Doom are promoted from interim European Champions to full European Champions. The Janus are promoted from interim United States Champions to full United States Champions. The Hardcore and Television titles will be sent to the Sub-Par to make up for the Cruiserweight and Heavyweight Championships being promoted along with the Base Cloggers. The Intercontinental and Larkin-Downing Championships are vacant, and will be contested in Week One of the regular season.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

just use this to represent my super league pedigree

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I've just realised that Hornsby and Jeter are the same dude (other that attitudes vis a vis fun)

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i don't know if smasher mentioned it, but now that he did the save file interleague trading is over and you'll have to make ripping off owners in your own league suffice

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

drat, I was totally about to trade that one guy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

SLXXI Super Basic Mark Bellhorn Preview

I'm gonna be honest, I usually write a whole lot for these and I doubt anyone really reads em. So I'm gonna keep this one succinct.

The Mark Bellhorn divison is one of stability, having had no demotions or promotions in the off-season.

The Teams

The Khartoum Doom have been around effectively forever, and have seemed to bask in longevity without a great sense of urgency. I can't remember any major roster changes they've made in half a dozen seasons. They get guys who hit dingers, get pitchers that McFreeze personally likes for whatever reason, and hope for the best. But they hit fewer dingers than you might expect compared to the competition nowadays, and had a brush with being a wild card for the second straight season after winning the division outright for five straight seasons.

The Minnesota Commission are the other relative elder statesmen of the division, and the only other team to win the division since the Finger Bangers had things on lockdown. They are the quintessential dingers, deadballers, and defense team, but lacking more than two guys capable of OBPing above .322 kept their offense quiet. They led the league in homers in SLXIX (by a lot), but took a disappointing third in both homer total and divisional standing last season. Technically they were due for a demotion, but their recent success probably weighed in Smasher's decision to grant mercy and give them another shot at the division.

The Mexico City Mexecutioners are an easy team to like, being a spiritual successor to the dinger-obsessed Zombie-Llamas, only better and a bit less gimmicky. "A bit" means they still led the league in almost every offensive metric such as runs, homers, OBP, slugging, but were pretty mortal in perhaps the more relevant OPS+ category, finishing 6th. They took a wild card in the first taste of the SL life, which is partly a testament to the staying power of this one-dimensional team, and partially a disappointing assessment of the depth of the Smasher League on the whole.

The World Warriors were a bad team last season, and appropriately borrow their SL-Ref avatar from Pungry's SLXIII The Worst team. It was their worst divisional result to date, and completes their incremental stepping down from 2nd place, to 3rd, to 4th. Being a great combo team with Beet in the Tag Team Tournament guaranteed their survival, regardless of divisional record, and now it'll be interesting to see how they can take 5th place in a division of 4. They'll find a way, I'm sure. I believe in them.

The Pitchers

SP1
1) 19?? Martin Dihigo (KHA)
2) 1903 Addie Joss (MEX)
3) 1911 Pete Alexander (WOR)
4) 1909 Cy Young (MNC)

Dihigo had about 8 years there as a shutdown starter, whose only flaw was a relatively low strikeout total. He limited hits, homers, and walks regardless of envrionment. Then he had a bad season for the Jobbers. No matter, he came back and had a couple more good seasons for the Doom, before having a few struggles last season. He gave up a few more homers and a bunch more hits, so I'm banking on the former being a fluke and the latter being simple BABIP luck. He'll dominate unless McFreeze decides he wants to make him a position player after a fit of whimsy. Joss is really good and I like him more than a prime Pete for strictly aesthetic reasons. Both are fantastic deadballers, limiting walks and homers. Both have decent infield defenses behind them, so I don't see why they can't dominate. Cy Young is good, but getting old. He's had a remarkably good run of success for the Commission, so taking 4th here is built more around the injury risk given his age than performance issues.

SP2
1) 1901 Christy Mathewson (MEX)
2) 1925 Pete Alexander (WOR)
3) 1926 Pete Alexander (MNC)
4) 1962 Juan Marichal (KHA)

Probably ranked differently than most people would. I think Juan would be first if he weren't in Khartoum, where he's been declining steadily as the competition gets better and hits more dingers off him. The deadballers ahead of Marichal are off-ages (Christy's too young, Old Pete's old), but they have a decent history of success for their teams. Christy's been real good in a bad situation, so he nudges first over the Petes. McFreeze needs to reconsider Juan Marichal's value to his team versus other teams, because giving up dingers is a bad habit given the existence of the Mexis and Commission.

SP3
1) 1907 Walter Johnson (WOR)
2) 1979 Rick Reuschel (KHA)
3) 1874 Al Spalding (MNC)
4) 1903 Bill Bernhard (MEX)

I normally don't like true rookies, but young Walter's yet to have a bad season, so he wins. Reuschel's a great fit for the Doom, a modern guy who doesn't give up dingers. A shame the Doom House suppress strikeouts, because giving Reuschel an extra K or two a game would probably help him out, and it's not like the rest of the division would benefit from more pitcher strikeouts. Spalding's been mercurial, but seems like a good fit for the defense-first Commission. Bernhard is a decent deadballer. I don't know if I feel good having him as a SP3, but he's kept the walk totals low for the Mexicutioners, which is really the only thing most pitchers can hope to do to succeed in that dangerous stadium.

SP4
1) 1910 Slim Sallee (MEX)
2) 1909 Cy Young (MNC)
3) 1925 Walter Johnson (KHA)
4) 1901 Noodles Hahn (WOR)

Slim Sallee has been mostly fantastic in every situation he's been put in unless you're Monathin. A great find by Beet and rabidsquid in SLXVII (and monathin too, except not really given how Slim's worked out for him so far). Cy Young should probably be Pash's SP2, dunno why you make one 1909 Cy your #1, then another one your #4. But okay, he's a good #4. Noodle's had trouble (by ERA+) for Yaya over the past few seasons, but there's reason to keep hoping for a good result from him. He's not that much of a baby. Old Walter's a piece of poo poo who cannot be trusted. I don't know why that's the case, it just is.

SP5

1) 1908 Jesse Tannehill (MEX)
2) 1913 Chief Bender (MNC)
3) 1906 Doc White (KHA)
4) 1983 Steve Rogers (WOR)

Tannehill's yet another deadballer who fits really well in the Mexicutioner system. Didn't do good last season, probably can do good this one. Bender's alright, an average guy for Pash, unlikely to wow. White did great for the Direwolves, and crappy for everyone else pretty much, but the allure of a lefty deadballer is captivating enough to keep throwing him out there. Good luck with that. Steve Rogers is a guy you want in your minors, not starting on opening day. He is not Captain America, as he pitched for the loving Expos. This is the first indication that the World Warriors may be aggressively bad, rather than moderately bad. It's neat to see him get some burn, but that's a move to make in the EC or MAYBE SubPar, not in the Mark Bellhorn.

Relievers
1) Joakim Soria / Sean Doolittle / Tom Henke / Greg Holland / Atlee Hammaker / Nick Altrock (KHA)
2) Jonathon Papelbon / Old Tom Henke / Steve Reed / Randy Myers / Joe Sambito / Cy Falkenburg (WOR)
3) Sparky Lyle / Larry Anderson / Tug McGraw / Hoyt Wilhelm / Nap Rucker (MEX)
4) Old Christy Mathewson / Carl Mays #1 / Jack Pfeister / Joe Benz / Carl Mays #2 / Young Tim Keefe (MNC)

So the Doom use multiple really good relievers, the World Warriors almost use okay relievers, the Mexis are alright but very thin, and the Commission are too invested in the idea that starters can be relievers to give it up now, despite the fact it won't work. You can hope to tread water I guess. All told, the Mark Bellhorn bullpens are hilariously outclassed by the neighboring division, where the Bombers and Panderers make this group look like SubPar also-rans.

The Players

Note: for platoons I only list the big spoon in the rankings, and leave the little spoon for the bench. I'll take the little spoon into account in the rankings if it's super important.

Catchers
1) 1936 Bill Dickey (KHA)
2) 1932 Bill Dickey (WOR)
3) 2006 Joe Mauer (MNC)
4) 1919 Wally Schang (MEX)

So Dickey's good at both sides of the ball, and has had a slightly nicer history at 29 for the Doom than younger for the Warriors. Either way he works. Mauer is kinda bad at being a catcher per Mogul, but his bat can play from time to time. Not a good starter, but I guess you can take your chances as a Twins fan with your favorite cake-eater. Schang is a bit hard to place. His bat sucks and he makes more errors than you'd think, but he's supposedly really good at handling pitchers, and maybe, just maybe, that helps the Mexis get a little more out of their rotation. Until that's confirmed in a more concrete manner, hard to rate him better than dead last.

First Base
1) 1925 Lou Gehrig (WOR)
2) 2012 Al Pujols (MNC)
3) 1960 Mickey Mantle (KHA)
4) 1963 Stan Musial (MEX)

Gehrig's a good 1B in general. Hits from the good side, hits well. Not a good fielder, but not unplayable bad either. Pujols is right on the terminator edge between Good Albert and Bad Albert. Even Bad Albert isn't that bad, so yeah, he's fine. Mantle played 1B a little at the twilight of his career, but I don't know how much I'd trust his already questionable glove there most of the time. I put him ahead of Ancient Stan because I like Joe Kelley as the small spoon better than Hank Greenburg. Well, that and because he's gonna hit better than Stan at 42, who seems mostly there for the Mexis to age-bug any other Musials in the league.

Second Base
1) 1906 Eddie Collins (WOR)
2) 1982 Lou Whitaker (MEX)
3) 1974 Joe Morgan (KHA)
4) 1989 Ryne Sandberg (MNC)

Eddie Collins is in a world of his own, even at that baby age. Superlative hitter, not great in the field. Whitaker's bat is suspect but his glove man, his glove will always play. McFreeze wins the battle against MNC, because Ryno's rough contact skills are helped by being in a small spoon as Joe Morgan leads the 2B tandem, while the Commission Sandberg is exposed too much. I do wonder if Sandberg's superior fielding provides value over Morgan's better offensive ceiling versus righty pitchers. In a division dominated by deadballers, maybe the defense is worth keeping Morgan on the bench and starting Sandberg full time. Meh. I'll trust in platoon advantages for now.

Third Base
1) 1960 Eddie Mathews (MNC)
2) 2006 Alex Rodriguez (MEX)
3) 1946 George Kell (KHA)
4) 1953 George Kell (WOR)

Mathews hits dingers. That helps Pash. A-Rod also hits dingers, although being the wrong handed big spoon hamstrings him a little bit. His partner, Edgar Martinez, is good against lefties, so overall this platoon is good. The Kell Plague was bad, but even before that Kell hadn't been working offensively for the Warriors or Doom. He provided surplus defense for the Doom to buttress his value, making the younger Kell the better bet. 3B is generally the most starved position talent-wise in the SL, so a defense-first Kell is a fine play. The Warriors Kell needs to hit more like SLXIX and less like SLXVIII and SLXX, which were disasters.

Shortstop
1) 1991 Cal Ripken (MNC)
2) 1942 Johnny Pesky (MEX)
3) 1983 Ozzie Smith (WOR)
4) 2010 Alex Rodriguez (KHA)

This is a lovely group. Ripken is fine, insane defense and dingers. Too bad his OBP won't help the Commission. Pesky isn't that good offensively, but he's better than Ozzie by enough to account for the defensive difference and then some. Pesky's still a fine defender in his own right. Ozzie cannot hit, but the Warriors are taking that hit to squeeze every ounce possible out of the starters. I could live with that if the rest of the bottom half of that lineup weren't so shaky. If you had 6 or 7 other great hitters then Ozzie makes sense, but until McGee shapes up or the Kell Plague dissipates this means there are several black holes in that lineup. In my view, playing an older Alex Rodriguez at shortstop in a rotation with groundball pitchers is a big reason the Doom perennially under-perform.

Left Field
1) 1950 Ted Williams (MNC)
2) 2000 Barry Bonds (KHA)
3) 1927 Goose Goslin (MEX)
4) ???? Maniac McGee (WOR)

Seasons Ted Williams can hit for average and last the whole season, two things Bonds can't. However, one thing the Doom have is like 5 all-Super-League caliber left fielders, so even the loss of Barry Bonds won't even register as an issue worth noting. Backup Billy Hamilton is also better than anyone not named Ted Ballgame on this list, although he's way more valuable for the Doom in CF. Goslin is okay, but he always struck me as an odd fit for the Mexis, who I figured would benefit more from a power guy than contact guy. I mean, 20+ HR is nice, but from LF in Mexico City anything less than 40 is a wasted opportunity. McGee can jump up on this list if he gets fixed. It'd take a sizeable fix after last seaon. 619 plate appearances with a 59 OPS+? Woof.

Center Field
1) 1913 Tris Speaker (WOR)
2) 1901 Billy Hamilton (KHA)
3) ???? Christobal Torriente (MNC)
4) 1991 Ken Griffey Jr (MEX)

Speaker is Speaker. Hamilton is faster Speaker who don't hit so good. Hamilton's a weird fit for the dinger-focused Doom, an apparently concession to the utility of contact and speed. He's good. I don't know about Joe Kelley as the small spoon CF for the Doom, though. Seems weird. Torriente is a solid center fielder. His defensive metrics will ding him simply because he won't get many flyballs with that pitching staff, but he's been good to my eye. As with all custom players, wait and see how he rolls, and don't hesitate to get DiMaggio in there if there are struggles. Griffey will hit dingers, but I don't think he'll do enough on any other facet of the field to make the downgrade from Averill worth it. I mean, you're telling a guy who hit 36 dingers for you (and a 124 OPS+) be your small spoon DH instead of starting CF, even though he hits from the left side, in favor of Griffey. Is it just me or is that kinda weird?

Right Field
1) 1918 Babe Ruth (KHA)
2) 1917 Babe Ruth (MEX)
3) 1913 Shoeless Joe Jackson (WOR)
4) ???? Big Oh (MNC)

Oh here's where you kept some good players. I knew they had to be somewhere. So Ruth is Ruth, and primer is better than younger. Both rule. Jackson is just old enough to hit. That's about all he'll do. Oh doesn't tend to hit well, and his prowess as a RF is super questionable. Pash is again relying on Smasher's decision to give him excellent custom players for his team's success. Maybe keeping Pash around rather than relegating him speaks to Smasher's sense of guilt about making custom players underwhelming? Or, a more likely explanation is that Smasher takes a small measure of delight in seeing Pash's hopes deflate as the custom players struggle to meet replacement level value.

Designated Hitter
1) 1942 Ted Williams (KHA)
2) 1953 Ted Williams (WOR)
3) 1906 John McGraw (MNC)
4) 1991 Edgar Martinez (MEX)

First two are obvious. McGraw's a good contact/speed/eye hitter and terrible defender, so DHing him is ideal. Just make sure he doesn't touch a glove. Martinez is a good hitter, and I get platooning him at 3B vs lefties. I guess I don't get hitting Averill at DH instead. I mean I get it, he's your best option versus anyone in that circumstance, righty or lefty, I just don't get how you couldn't make your team better by avoiding this kind of sub-optimal platoon in the first place. What're you going to be doing when Averill is your full-time CF after Griffey stinks up the joint?

The Benches
1) Melissa Mayeux / Edgar Martinez / Joe DiMaggio / Johnny Bench / Gary Sheffield (MNC)
2) Wally Schang / Joe Kelley / Ryne Sandberg / Placido Polanco / Tim Raines (KHA)
3) Rudy York / Nap Lajoie / Rico Petrocelli / Larry Walker / Hank Greenberg / Earl Averill (MEX)
4) Tommy Helms / Ken Boyer / Fred McGriff / Lou Boudreau / Shanty Hogan (WOR)

I really like the Doom and Commission benches. I think the Commission benches have starter ceilings, while the Doom is merely a well-formed group of defensive replacement lacking an impact bat. The Mexis bench has some talent and fits the team reasonably well. Well, except for Lajoie, who'd be better off traded given his lack of thump. Petrocelli has yet to actually hit a ball with his bat in the Super-League, but if he does for the Mexis it'll surely be a dinger, so that's good. The Warriors bench...if I saw an EC team with a bench that bad, I'd strongly recommend they draft for depth. This is not a good unit. I had never heard of Tommy Helms before right now, and when I looked him up that only created more questions.

What are you doing, Yaya? What possessed you to think that was a good idea?

Overall the trends pretty clearly suggest the following standings:

1) Mexico City Mexicutioners - 88-74

Great balanced deadball rotation, great defense, and solid offense all-around in a friendly stadium are a good recipe for success. Find hot hands and play them, initial assumptions be damned. The bullpen is the weak point, so get your starters to go deep.

2) Khartoum Doom - 84-78

It's the same ole same ole for this venerable icon. They're better than they showed last season, but the level of competition is simply too good to see them jump much. The Doom are an excellent barometer for determining if a team can really survive employing a central philosophy (dingers!) without completely committing to it to a ridiculous degree.

3) Minnesota Commission - 75-87

This is a solid team. Hits a lot of dingers. But the Search for OBP is a story without a happy ending here. Things will get better than last season, but how much better? The elite talent just isn't here compared to the rest of the Mark Bellhorn, and the custom players are too treacherous. Still, who you do start should hit a bit better than last season.

4) The World Warriors - 74-88

Another better season looms before the Warriors, but how much better is up for debate. There are simply too many rough spots and too little depth. You're really trying, I see that, but I see this division as a two team race for first, and a two team race for third. Repeating the tag team would help alleviate a lot of worry for you, and give you another shot to build better depth.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah, the Griffey starting in CF thing is on a very short leash. I know Averill is a disaster in the field and he needs to platoon or something so he won't die, as he's ancient, but he just hits so well and other than one flukey season has done so forever. I am hoping that young Griffey can make up for Goslin/Ruth patrolling the other corners of the OF and hit a few dingers, but there's a very strong chance that Averill just ends up starting in CF again. At least partially because there's a decent chance that Griffey strikes out more this season than all of Averills seasons for me combined.

I would feel better about trotting Goslin out if he could play CF, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself to pick up someone who can either defend significantly better or hit some dingers. I've been thinking about throwing Walker into RF and Ruth into left or even putting McCovey out there, but I am hoping to trade Goslin+ some stuff for a Bonds or a Waner. I know Waner doesn't have a lot of power but he's basically the Goslin idea souped up with significantly better defense.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, the Griffey starting in CF thing is on a very short leash. I know Averill is a disaster in the field and he needs to platoon or something so he won't die, as he's ancient, but he just hits so well and other than one flukey season has done so forever. I am hoping that young Griffey can make up for Goslin/Ruth patrolling the other corners of the OF and hit a few dingers, but there's a very strong chance that Averill just ends up starting in CF again. At least partially because there's a decent chance that Griffey strikes out more this season than all of Averills seasons for me combined.

I would feel better about trotting Goslin out if he could play CF, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself to pick up someone who can either defend significantly better or hit some dingers. I've been thinking about throwing Walker into RF and Ruth into left or even putting McCovey out there, but I am hoping to trade Goslin+ some stuff for a Bonds or a Waner. I know Waner doesn't have a lot of power but he's basically the Goslin idea souped up with significantly better defense.

Goslin is a LF.

Waner is a RF. Waner can pretend to play CF.

Neither plays the other's position.

Your plan doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Trading for Bonds sounds good, but few people wanna sell them it seems. The Larry Walker plan sounds better to me.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
In my defense, Tommy Helms exists to be a defensive replacement. My right side of the infield is very defense heavy which, with the groundball heavy rotation, I'm hoping can work to my benefit. There is a bit of a reliance on Maniac getting his poo poo together though, because like you said, Ozzie is not going to be able to hit and Kell has struggled for me in 2 of the 3 seasons.

edit: If I recall correctly, the Patient Zero Kell that plagued the others last season went undrafted, so that gives me reason to be optimistic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are a lot of options I can explore in left field, the problem is finding a guy who can hit for power, will strike out less than 150 times, and will play passing defense. It's pretty easy to check two of those three boxes but hitting all three seems like it will require some actual assets.

Maybe I should worry less about strikeouts but it seems like it's working out pretty well for me.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't sleep so I was rereading some of the division previews and Pander mentioned making his short because nobody reads them: I read all of the division previews and appreciate the work that people put into them, at the very least I end up learning about some dudes I've never heard of before and it's a good way to familiarize myself with the other teams. Plus it's interesting to see other peoples perspectives on some of the players and SL history usually comes up. Division previews are the best.

Also I see a bunch of teams that should have traded for my Nap Lajoie this offseason but they're mostly in the subpar. Someone trade for my Nap, he's way too good to waste on my bench.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Preview week is indeed the best. Your work does not go unread.

And unfortunately, Cthulhu, I'm in the States for the holidays, but raincheck.

Mea culpa on Ginger Beaumont. I should have been even more generic, like Pops O'Hanrahan.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

There are a lot of options I can explore in left field, the problem is finding a guy who can hit for power, will strike out less than 150 times, and will play passing defense. It's pretty easy to check two of those three boxes but hitting all three seems like it will require some actual assets.

Maybe I should worry less about strikeouts but it seems like it's working out pretty well for me.

Worry less about outfield defense. You have a deadball rotation after all.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XXI, Week 0: Nothing begets Nothing

Analysis

I've never liked a 12-man pen, in the Super-League or real life.

Analysis

On the list of priorities, finding a new banner for this team is way down there. I'm not sold on this rotation, either.

Analysis

I need to figure out what to do with all of the players your csv hosed up, and I haven't decided what to do. Ask me tomorrow, maybe.

Analysis

All hitting, no fielding.

Analysis

An awesome plan to put pitchers who never strike anyone out in front of a defense incapable of fielding balls cleanly. Shepard, you've done it!

Analysis

Mornacale couldn't fail, he could only be failed.

Analysis

Same as it ever was.

Analysis

It's going to take eldritch power to make this outfield be productive enough.

Analysis

If the Giants beat the Packers in Lambeau again in the playoffs, I will destroy Armitage's happiness! All of it!

...what's that? I'm too late. drat YOU, ARMITAGE!

Analysis

McFreeze believes in A-Rod. Who are we to question such fidelity?

Analysis

Is this the year that HulkaMatt makes it?

Analysis

Actually, I'm not sure that this team necessarily should be using only ten relievers, since, at home at least, relievers are probably going to get quite a lot of work. But, hey, let's see how things go.

Analysis

Man, who even knows with custom players?

Analysis

This team exists.

Analysis

I'm not sure what you're doing with Hornsby. He's not a prototypical utility guy. Although the game seems to think he could play SS and 3B. Incidentally, had Hornsby played today, he would have certainly been on the Alfonso Soriano/Hanley Ramirez career path of getting out of the middle infield by his early 30s, but, at the time, the player-manager was in vogue, and Hornsby spent a ton of his career as his own manager, and he decided he wanted to play 2B.

Analysis

Not the rolls on your relievers you might have wanted, I guess.

Analysis

The switch pitcher is going to take time to figure out.

Analysis

Man, that's a lot of deadballers in front of a lot of not great defenders. Then again, the GenericDome is a dinger-or-be-dingered environment, and an infielder can't stop a home run.

Analysis

Alas, poor MACHINE.

Analysis

Between Monicro and Beet, I'm tempted to believe that the journey is more appealing than the destination.

Analysis

Balla had Thome played against LHP. That clearly was a typo on his part, given that he's old enough to have seen Thome play, even if he spent most of his career in the other league.

Analysis

Monsoon's rating looks great! Then again, he is the classic 'tools' player.

Analysis

I'd try to ride Pedro until his arm broke, but I can understand why you don't want to build your early season around when a guy is going to collapse.

Analysis

I think the Warriors can survive, but it's a weird division.

Standings

]

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Speaking of pre-season rituals that everyone should be paying attention to, but is apparently overlooked, we should start the Pre-Season Pick'ems!

Super-League

Who will win Mark Bellhorn? PICK ONE:

Khartoum Doom
Minnesota Commission
World Warriors
Mexico City Mexicutioners

Who will win Senor Goodtimes? PICK ONE:

Oklahoma City Bombers
Portland Panderers
Dusty Baker's Base Cloggers
Genoa Janus

Who will win Norris-Smythe? PICK ONE:

South Bolton Eazy W's
Aperture Scientists
Kōbe Crows
Akabira Killer Mikes

Who will win a Smasher League wildcard? PICK TWO:

Khartoum Doom
Minnesota Commission
World Warriors
Oklahoma City Bombers
Portland Panderers
Dusty Baker's Base Cloggers
Genoa Janus
South Bolton Eazy W's
Aperture Scientists
Kōbe Crows
Akabira Killer Mikes

Who will win Momento Mori? PICK ONE:

Slaughterhouse Nine
Detroit Wolverines
Innsmouth Lookers
Mr. Burns Zephyrs

Who will win Vae Victus? PICK ONE:

Nega-Llamas
Jersey City Jobbers
Rochester Generics
Hoboken Zephyrs

Who will win Sic Transit Vir? PICK ONE:

Sindhi Sheikhs
South Dakota Marmosets
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
South Shore Gumshoes

Who will win a Dynamo League wildcard? PICK TWO:

Slaughterhouse Nine
Detroit Wolverines
Innsmouth Lookers
Mr. Burns Zephyrs
Nega-Llamas
Jersey City Jobbers
Rochester Generics
Hoboken Zephyrs
Sindhi Sheikhs
South Dakota Marmosets
South Shore Gumshoes

Sub-Par League

Who will win Monster's Ball? PICK ONE:

Bonus Wagner
Plimoth Premodernists
Glastonbury Knights
Omaha Forgettables
Origami Tsunamis

Who will win Feast or Fired? PICK ONE:

Rockford Losers
Brookings Dinosaurs
Nova Scotia Broomstackers
Modern Love
Brooklyn Giants

Who will win Punjabi Prison? PICK ONE:

Luna Landers
Porthcawl Rakers
ENIX SLIMES
Centralia Corgis
W.E.B. Dat Bois

Who will win Kennel from Hell? PICK ONE:

Burlington Berners
Blood Gulch Blues
Midway Mobsters
Krakow Dragons
Houston Hol Horses

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

Aperture Scientists

South Bolton Easy W's
Oklahoma City Bombers

Mr. Burns Zephyrs

Who will win Vae Victus? PICK ONE:[/b]

Jersey City Jobbers

Sindhi Sheikhs

Slaughterhouse Nine

Sub-Par League

Who will win Monster's Ball? PICK ONE:[/b]
Bonus Wagner

Who will win Feast or Fired? PICK ONE:[/b]

Modern Love

Porthcawl Rakerss

Krakow Dragons

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I know that overall is a trap but that roll for Griffey is awfully nice, and it seems that Rudy York is hated again. It might be Carlton Fisk time. McCovey got a nice looking roll too, hm. Also that Yaz always has tempting ratings. Schoolboy Rowe, yikes. Oh well, he was only taking up a slot that was filled by some average relievers that get absolutely blasted at home. Or maybe it was Reulbachs slot but either way its no huge loss for the gamble.

Maybe I shouldn't have wasted a roster spot to amuse myself but, Hail to the King, baby.

edit: That A-Rod roll is a bit worrisome, he's pretty important to the Mexicutioners

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Speaking of pre-season rituals that everyone should be paying attention to, but is apparently overlooked, we should start the Pre-Season Pick'ems!

Is there a post with the actual Sub-par team rosters with their rolls?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Week zero will be tomorrow if we adhere to the normal schedule.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Oh, yeah, do pre-season pick 'em.

Also, make tag teams.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Super-League

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Khartoum Doom
Oklahoma City Bombers

Mr. Burns Zephyrs

Jersey City Jobbers

Slaughterhouse Nine
Sindhi Sheikhs

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Brookings Dinosaurs

W.E.B. Dat Bois

Houston Hol Horses

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 3, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Super-League

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Khartoum Doom
Aperture Scientists

Innsmouth Lookers
(sure why not)

Nega-Llamas

Mr. Burns Zephyrs
Jersey City Jobbers

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Modern Love

Centralia Corgis

Houston Hol Horses

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

hey armitage you're kind of an rear end in a top hat for including ancient Cecil Travis on your csv given you have zero intention of actually using him. As evidence you have zero intention of using him, I submit your own final roster post where you don't even list him in your minors.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Revenant Threshold posted:

Brookings Dinosaurs
Brooklyn Giants
I have detected an anomaly in your choice here.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Pander posted:

hey armitage you're kind of an rear end in a top hat for including ancient Cecil Travis on your csv given you have zero intention of actually using him. As evidence you have zero intention of using him, I submit your own final roster post where you don't even list him in your minors.

Duh, I thought I took him out when I traded him. drat it

Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 2, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kw0134 posted:

I have detected an anomaly in your choice here.

thats just good strategy

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Oklahoma City Bombers
Aperture Scientists

Slaughterhouse Nine

Hoboken Zephyrs

Sindhi Sheikhs

Jersey City Jobbers

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Rockford Losers

ENIX SLIMES

Krakow Dragons

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

Aperture Scientists

South Bolton Eazy W's

Slaughterhouse Nine

Jersey City Jobbers

Sindhi Sheikhs

Mr. Burns Zephyrs
Hoboken Zephyrs

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Rockford Losers

ENIX SLIMES

Midway Mobsters

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Oklahoma City Bombers

Slaughterhouse Nine

Nega-Llamas

Slaughterhouse NineDetroit Wolverines
Innsmouth Lookers
Mr. Burns Zephyrs
Nega-Llamas
Jersey City Jobbers
Rochester Generics
Sindhi Sheikhs

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Brookings Dinosaurs

Porthcawl Rakers

Krakow Dragons

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

First of all, DCB and I will make a tag team. Scary Monsters (and super freaks) are a go! Roster to come after the SD!

As for preseason pick 'em, please help me out here HulkaMatt?

kw0134 posted:

Super-League

Minnesota Commission

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Base Cloggers, Bombers

Slaughterhouse Nine[/b]

Jersey City Jobbers

Sindhi Sheikhs

RCMP, Generics

Sub-Par League

Bonus Wagner

Modern Love

ENIX SLIMES

Krakow Dragons

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

World Warriors

Detroit Wolverines

Hoboken Zephyrs

Sindhi Sheikhs

Jersey City Jobbers

Sub-Par League

Plimoth Premodernists

Rockford Losers

Bath Rakers

Blood Gulch Blues

I hope betting against myself pays dividends :ohdear:

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Schwarber and Addison didn't make it. The real mystery is why does the sim hate the Cubs?

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Oklahoma City Bombers

Detroit Wolverines

Rochester Generics

Sindhi Sheikhs

Slaughterhouse Nine

Sub-Par League

Bonus Wagner

Rockford Losers

Luna Landers

Houston Hol Horses

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

[quote="kw0134" post="467912775"]

Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

Kōbe Crows

Oklahoma City Bombers
Aperture Scientists

Detroit Wolverines

Nega-Llamas

South Dakota Marmosets
South Shore Gumshoes

Sub-Par League

Plimoth Premodernists

Rockford Losers

W.E.B. Dat Bois

Blood Gulch Blues

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Pre-Season Pick'ems!

Super-League

Khartoum Doom

Portland Panderers

South Bolton Eazy W's

Minnesota Commission
Oklahoma City Bombers

Mr. Burns Zephyrs

Hoboken Zephyrs

Sindhi Sheikhs
South Dakota Marmosets

Sub-Par League

Glastonbury Knights

Rockford Losers

Porthcawl Rakers

Krakow Dragons

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I forgot that I had another Schilling that could have taken Brian Wilson's place. Can you really blame me? I won't make a change yet, though. Neither for that bad Joe Jackson roll - after that poo poo Armitage got out of him despite the roll, I just can't not give him a shot.

Anyway, tag team business. Rabidsquid! Are we teaming up to make The Third Law again? I can't think of a reason why not, since we did really well last time around.

Finally, pick'em business:

Mark Bellhorn
Khartoum Doom

Senor Goodtimes
Portland Panderers

Norris-Smythe
South Bolton Eazy W's

Smasher League Wildcards
Oklahoma City Bombers

Memento Mori
Slaughterhouse Nine

Vae Victis
Hoboken Zephyrs

Sic Transit Vir

Dynamo League Wildcards
Jersey City Jobbers
Sindhi Sheikhs

Monster's Ball
Glastonbury Knights

Feast or Fired
Rockford Losers

Punjabi Prison
Bath Rakers

Kennel From Hell
Krakow Dragons

Also, inability to properly write Latin words annoys me.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Is anyone tracking Pre-Season or is it me again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
DannoMack, you're up for teaming up again, right?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I'm not sure what you're doing with Hornsby. He's not a prototypical utility guy. Although the game seems to think he could play SS and 3B. Incidentally, had Hornsby played today, he would have certainly been on the Alfonso Soriano/Hanley Ramirez career path of getting out of the middle infield by his early 30s, but, at the time, the player-manager was in vogue, and Hornsby spent a ton of his career as his own manager, and he decided he wanted to play 2B.

Honestly, I'm not that sure myself what to do with Hornsby. I hadn't expected him to roll so well, or for Mogul to think he could actually play shortstop or third. My original plan was to build up his value this season and then possibly trade him, but who knows now.