Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Well yeah, its not set in our literal past either. The purpose of that introductory text is to tell us the story is set inside a mythic time, like a fairytale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's set in Indiana Jones' past.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My wife wanted to re-watch IV through VI yesterday because she hadn't seen them in forever. Holy God, I'd either forgotten or blocked out how terrible Return of the Jedi is. I mean, certainly this viewing was worse because it included Lucas' post-prequel fuckery, but even striking that, the movie was just a cluster, especially having just seen VI and V in rapid succession.
It is rough in the middle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gfarrell80 posted:

The McLuhanist reading is total bull crap.

Why?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

temple posted:

It is rough in the middle.

Yeah the middle is a complete poo poo show but the ending is the best Star Wars will probably ever be so at least it closes everythinng else fantastically.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

because everything SMG says is a gimmick to troll CD posters

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Every time people poo poo on RotJ Joh Yowza kills a kitten.

FuturePastNow posted:

because everything SMG says is a gimmick to troll CD posters

No need to reach for a deeper interpretation like that; after all sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, the curtains are just blue, and so on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I understand that Star Wars has always been more fantasy than sci-fi, but it's strange to see a modern sci-fi movie that has no awareness of modern technology.

I'm the opposite. I like futuristic films that ignore modern tech. Sci-fi films that use wireless bluetooth headsets and touch screen/sideswipe everything feels a little too on the nose these days.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm the opposite. I like futuristic films that ignore modern tech. Sci-fi films that use wireless bluetooth headsets and touch screen/sideswipe everything feels a little too on the nose these days.

Minority Report is good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I liked how futuristic the personal technology in Westworld feels without seeming too advanced. All the robots are of course super super beyond anything that will exist in our lifetimes. But the stuff like the desktops and maintenance devices and tablets people use, the technology is less "futuristic" and more "everything actually does network together like the companies you bought it from said they would." For a setting about creating AI I found that interesting that the biggest technological advance when the show begins isn't the robots (it's revealed that it's revealed the robots are actually a STEP BACK from the metallic ones because they're cheaper) but rather how quickly and fluidly information is exchanged between all our technology. It was a cool way to make all the technobabble/computer usage super intuitive and immediately easy for anyone to understand what's going on while still being way beyond what we got now.

For real though Alien Isolation was such a great game for all of its stuff being designed around the philosophy of "if we were making this game but in like 1980 what would all the technology look like." I was blown away by how much it commits to that aesthetic and really does look and sound like it could be happening not long after Alien.

firebeats
May 8, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's nothing more than the Hedgehog/Prower phenomenon of ostensibly adult characters engaged in prolonged and intense bouts of presexual intimacy.

FN and Poe - despite being twenty- and thirty-somethings, respectively - are several steps behind Matthew Broderick's teen hacker in Wargames, who tentatively explores how it feels to take his shirt off in front of a girl.

For fans, the actual erotic appeal comes from the fact that Sonic The Hedgehog does not gently caress. Ever. He achieves full satisfaction just by staring at you with his massive hypersensitive eyes, and passionately filling his rounded belly with chilidogs. Poe and FN, likewise, will never move beyond hugging and trying on eachothers' clothes. They have no need to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I was having a really lovely week until God gifted me with a new SMG post about Sonic.

Please never change, you beautiful, crazy porpoise.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My wife wanted to re-watch IV through VI yesterday because she hadn't seen them in forever. Holy God, I'd either forgotten or blocked out how terrible Return of the Jedi is. I mean, certainly this viewing was worse because it included Lucas' post-prequel fuckery, but even striking that, the movie was just a cluster, especially having just seen VI and V in rapid succession.

I'm one of those fans who will defend RotJ until the day I die, mostly because it was the first Star Wars I saw in a theater as an impressionable child and it resonated with me so vividly that nearly every minute of the film is like pure joy. Not the special edition version either, we're talking original untouched Lapti Nek RotJ.

That's not to say I don't acknowledge its faults. Its got pacing issues and kind of slows down around when the Scout team meats up with the Ewoks. But RotJ has one of the best action sequences, chase scenes and space battles in the entire trilogy, some of the best creature designs that have ever come out of Jim Henson's workshop and the best Emperor Palpatine that has ever appeared on screen.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ROTJ has a pretty good first third and an excellent last third that don't entirely belong in the same movie, along with a middling-to-bad middle third (fractions not exact). It's somewhat less than the sum of its parts, but boy, are some of those parts fantastic.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 2, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

the best Emperor Palpatine that has ever appeared on screen.

I'm more of a chimp eyeball man myself

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm more of a chimp eyeball man myself

Close second for sure.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

ROTJ has the best climax and ending to a series. Few movies, tv series, trilogies end well. It ties everything together well. The middle isn't bad because of ewoks. Its the melodrama with Luke, Leia, and Han that ruins it for me. After ESB, their characters needed that moment to resolve their relationships but its the "I'm pregnant!" moment of most wedding dramas or something. It just feels so weird. I'd like to see Han get defrosted, spend a little time with Leia, and then realize that his personal enemies are all dead. He would want to exploit that, empire be damned. Instead he had to act like a jealous boyfriend for the rest of the movie.

The ewoks were stupid but no more stupid than the droids, jawas, mynocks, or cantina. I kinda like their scenes actually. C3P0 becomes the last thing anyone expects, appreciated and powerful.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 2, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

We only see a single scene in RotJ where an Ewok died in the guerilla war between the Rebels and the Empire on the forest floor of Endor that death implies that there were a lot more Ewoks killed in the skirmish than just the one.

These stupid little bears bravely fought for and sacrificed themselves for the Rebellion to battle against the Evil Galactic Empire. Ewoks were the one element that the Emperor had not forseen and it resulted in the end of him and the beginning of the end for the Empire itself.

I've read them compared to Gungans, but I personally enjoy the Ewoks and missed all the hate for them because I was at the exact age those tribal teddy bears were aimed at but, the older I get the more I can understand how they might have pissed off the fan base at the time. Now though? There's a certain awesomeness to how all of Palps mechinations fall apart due to the involvement of primitive Care Bears.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 2, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You can kinda trace the rise and fall of the post-New Hollywood film world through the first three Star Warses. ANH is sweaty and cheap and passionate, ESB is big and lustrous and classical, ROTJ is treading on the worst parts of Spielberg. Then everyone sat around twiddling their thumbs, waiting for Avatar.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just like it when it's creative, like the funky apartment in Fifth Element, or the garish makeup and sexual obsessions in Clockwork Orange. Sci fi writing is jammed with that kind of stuff, and it makes me sad how little of it transfers to sci fi movies.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I feel like real life is getting pretty close to sci-fi that isn't space bound.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a list or write-up of the movies that Clone Wars remade? The Seven Samurai and Gojira episodes were pretty obvious, but I didn't catch the Stray Dog episode until my second watch through. That post about the episode where the hunchback defective clone being based on an old WWII movie made me realize there were probably a ton of classic movie remake plots I never caught. It might be one of the key reasons Clone Wars has been more compelling than Rebels.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Which one was the Stray Dog episode?

I honestly like Rebels a lot more than Clone Wars. It was difficult for me to care about most of the characters in Clone Wars since I already know where they all end up, while the focus on original characters in Rebels means that they're free to do anything they want with how the characters develop, and I frequently found the pacing of Clone Wars to be really slow. Especially later on when four-episode long arcs became very common.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Roth posted:

I honestly like Rebels a lot more than Clone Wars. It was difficult for me to care about most of the characters in Clone Wars since I already know where they all end up, while the focus on original characters in Rebels means that they're free to do anything they want with how the characters develop, and I frequently found the pacing of Clone Wars to be really slow. Especially later on when four-episode long arcs became very common.

Rebels will have to somehow have to get rid of all it's Jedi right before ANH though, even if it's just an 'extended detour until after RotJ' solution.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, but that's like two characters out of the main cast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

Lightsaber Lost. Ahsoka's lightsaber is stolen from her while she's on the bus and she spends part of the episode tracking it down.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh I see it now.

Funnily enough, I managed to mix the movie up with Straw Dogs, which would have been a really interesting episode of The Clone Wars I imagine.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Roth posted:

This is a fair point, but Clone Wars also had the ability to make the stakes significant in a way that Rebels just can't do for a variety of reasons, and the fact is it feels more like a real war, while rebels is just a bunch of major and minor acts of theft and terrorism. Both are great though I like Clone Wars more, but Chopper is my second fav Star Wars character ever right after Chewbacca.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Rewatching the movies from Episode I onward thanks to this thread.

So, Han's being a total dick before the Death Star battle when he tells Luke "May the Force be with you," right?

Like Luke calls him a greedy coward, and then Han is like, "hope the same dumb poo poo that got your buddy Ben killed helps you too, rear end in a top hat."

Basically Luke not only turns Han down after Han asks him to team up (which I presume is a rare thing for Han) but also hits a nerve, so Han goes for the low blow.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 2, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've always read it as more of a you're going to die doing this and less of a low blow. As others have mentioned, may the force be with you seems to be this settings "vaya con dios" or "gruss gott" where it's religious in nature but so ubiquitous as to be not be unique to Jedi-adherent individuals.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nah dude, Han is trying to be nice. The kid he's grown to like that made him save a princess and netted him enough money to pay off the space mafia is going fly off to try and stop the same laser moon they just miraculously escaped from. It's like a "good luck, you crazy bastard" kind of thing.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's one of the major signs that he has a nice side underneath how he generally acts.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

It was basically a (formally) atheist person sincerely wishing a merry Christmas.

I really don't know how can anybody read it as "Han's a douche". :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I watch the version where Han shoots first.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMzK4xzWhU

how can anyone read his face and tone of voice as anything other than "oh jesus i can't believe i'm about to say this but ughhhh it'll mean something to this kid and i don't want him to die"

also let's put the han shooting thing to bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXD2tvV-9Q

Han still un-holsters his gun

Harrison Ford's physicality still plays into the fact he's gonna smoke this dude

If you take the possible human reaction time into effect, they essentially shoot simultaneously

The change doesn't alter anything whatsoever

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bongo Bill posted:

Star Wars technology is unlike real-world technology.

A long time ago

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMzK4xzWhU

how can anyone read his face and tone of voice as anything other than "oh jesus i can't believe i'm about to say this but ughhhh it'll mean something to this kid and i don't want him to die"

also let's put the han shooting thing to bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXD2tvV-9Q

Han still un-holsters his gun

Harrison Ford's physicality still plays into the fact he's gonna smoke this dude

If you take the possible human reaction time into effect, they essentially shoot simultaneously

The change doesn't alter anything whatsoever

The change was unnecessary and it was done poorly.

Edit; unnecessary and poorly executed sums up virtually all the changes in the SE

Super Fan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 2, 2017

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tekz posted:

It's this kind of loopy analysis that's driven the silent majority away from this forum and to the other one where the platonic ideal of movie reviews is to post one line saying if its good or bad, and then you give up your material possessions and retire to the forests to meditate and attain moksha.
If the "silent majority" - aka lurkers - never post, by definition, then who cares?

This is Star Wars. You're not part of the rebellion if you don't show up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super Fan posted:

Edit; unnecessary and poorly executed sums up virtually all the changes in the SE

I liked the special effect changes in Empire Strikes Back, but otherwise everything else is awful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like the part where Harrison's head smushes to the left.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like the part where Harrison's head smushes to the left.

That part was indeed pretty janky in the first two revisions, but it's a complete non-issue in the 2011 Blu-ray edit. The effect is smoothed out sufficiently and the cut is so quick that I don't believe anyone just watching the movie now in good faith could possibly claim there's an aesthetic issue anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKEX6QJ-zlQ

It basically just comes across as a classic Old West shoot-out over a bar table. The only difference is that Greedo manages to get a quick (poorly aimed, because Greedo is a chump) shot off before getting fried, whereas before he was merely a split-second away from getting a shot off. Han still gets the drop on Greedo by unholstering his blaster and bringing it to bear on Greedo without him noticing. And it's a miracle Greedo didn't notice, given that Han's ingenious gambit was simply to ostentatiously put his foot up on the table and hope Greedo didn't movie his head a few inches in any direction to see his blaster in plain sight:

Super Fan posted:

It would have been unnecessary if everyone didn't insist on completely misunderstanding the moral dynamic of the original scene. To wit: If you think the change impacts Han's character arc in any way, then you're one of the many people who misunderstood the original scene, and you're who the change was made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Either Lucas is a wildly insecure man who feels compelled to constantly alter his work or he's a greedy man cynically making these changes to wring more money out of fans. Either way the alterations are awful and jarring and don't improve the films one whit. In most cases they make them worse.

• Locked thread