Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Four pounds of boneless chuck are now in the bath, unseasoned, at 133. Looking forward to seeing the results tomorrow. Man that was a pain in the rear end to bag.

Bet a dollar I miss a piece of twine tomorrow and set it on fire in the searing pan :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I sear with twine intact all the time. If you've broken down a chuck roast it's going to fall apart in the skillet without twine. My pan gets to 500F+, and I have yet to experience ignition. Keep in mind that the twine is saturated with liquid, too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Four pounds of boneless chuck are now in the bath, unseasoned, at 133. Looking forward to seeing the results tomorrow. Man that was a pain in the rear end to bag.

Bet a dollar I miss a piece of twine tomorrow and set it on fire in the searing pan :v:

Hi five boneless chuck buddy! One of my New Year's Eve guests likes meat more well done so I have mine in at 136 and I will but a piece off to sear the everliving daylight out of for the picky eater.

I made porcini powder for the bag for some extra umami and will use the bag juice with sautéed mushrooms for a nice sauce.

Edit: I didn't get a perfect seal in the chamber first time so I double bagged it. Fingers crossed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I sear with twine intact all the time. If you've broken down a chuck roast it's going to fall apart in the skillet without twine. My pan gets to 500F+, and I have yet to experience ignition. Keep in mind that the twine is saturated with liquid, too.

Fair enough! I didn't do any breakdown or cutting of any sort, just left it twined up exactly as it came from the store.

My local butcher closed so all I have now is Whole Foods and that makes me sad. :(

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I just got an Anova for Christmas and picked up some strips from the store for an inaugural go. How long should these stay in the bath at 134? The internet is giving me numbers between 20 minutes and 4 hours.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Fair enough! I didn't do any breakdown or cutting of any sort, just left it twined up exactly as it came from the store.

My local butcher closed so all I have now is Whole Foods and that makes me sad. :(

Mine was tied but I may have pulled too hard a vacuum because it kind of came undone in the first bag, which is why I think the seal also was not great.

For me Costco is probably the best way to get reliable meat. I just get whole cryopacks from the back and save a few cents a pound. Just ask the butchers guys and they will sell you what they have usually.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't have a Costco near (enough) to me, but there is a Sam's Club. Problem is I heard they're just Walmart with larger quantities, do they even have a butcher area?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

With my double bagged meat I am getting a bit of neutral to positive buoyancy. Hard vacuum on first bag and not so hard on the second bag means I had some air in there. I weighted it down with a small plate. Am I correct that I'm not messing with heat transfer or cooking time by putting that plate on there? It is now totally and easily submerged.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have a Costco near (enough) to me, but there is a Sam's Club. Problem is I heard they're just Walmart with larger quantities, do they even have a butcher area?

Sam's club does have a butcher area and has really great meats.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Is it ham or gammon? As far as I understand (I'm in the UK too) ham is cooked and gammon is the name for raw 'ham'.

For reference: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-and-prepare-gammon-and-ham

yeah i meant gammon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Trastion posted:

Sam's club does have a butcher area and has really great meats.

Sounds like all the excuse I need to get a membership. Meat's the only thing I'm interested in buying in bulk though, living alone and all that. (Hopefully I can get the chuck in the puddler good enough to get family to take it home...)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ciaphas posted:

If it was trussed up from the store, they already broke it down to remove the inedible center bit. If you remove the twine, it's going to fall apart into two pieces, like the slices do when you carve it. Bad searing mojo.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I got my Gourmia unit. I want to make a steak and have one from sams club that is about 3/4" thick. Not sure what type it is as I buy them then individually bag and freeze. I am thawing it now. How long and at what temp should I cook for? I am seeing everything from 2 hours to 24 hours. I would prefer 4 hours or less so I can have it for dinner.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Trastion posted:

I got my Gourmia unit. I want to make a steak and have one from sams club that is about 3/4" thick. Not sure what type it is as I buy them then individually bag and freeze. I am thawing it now. How long and at what temp should I cook for? I am seeing everything from 2 hours to 24 hours. I would prefer 4 hours or less so I can have it for dinner.

You can cook from frozen if you want. Doesn't add too much more time, maybe 30 minutes? There are some apps and I'm sure an online calculator or ten that can tell you how long it will take meat of type and thickness to go from temperature a to temperature b in a bath at c.

Hope it came out nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If it was trussed up from the store, they already broke it down to remove the inedible center bit. If you remove the twine, it's going to fall apart into two pieces, like the slices do when you carve it. Bad searing mojo.

Turned out not to matter because the bag broke overnight. Roast status: ruined :(

Oh well, it was for me and leftovers so at least I didn't screw up a gathering.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Would it be problematic to sous vide ribeyes and hold them in the fridge for a few hours prior to searing? I was hoping to dry them out on a rack, but wasn't sure about the standard bacteria concerns.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

beefnchedda posted:

Would it be problematic to sous vide ribeyes and hold them in the fridge for a few hours prior to searing? I was hoping to dry them out on a rack, but wasn't sure about the standard bacteria concerns.

If you take them out of the bath and want to fridge them, do the ice bath chill first. Take them out of the bag and dry them off before finishing. What you don't want to do is take them out of the bath and bag and then put them in the fridge hot.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Got the whole sous vide thing for christmas. Made some eggs and tried a ribeye but wasn't happy with that. So far this is the best thing I've made. Hoping to join the hot water cooking team if I really enjoy using this thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My original anova is no longer heating water, what's the new hotness for ~$100-150?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Another Anova with a sale coupon unless you wanna take the gamble on a cheaper Gourmia

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm new to the vizzle game (literally just a chicken breast and a package of bacon) and I just realized that my fiance a filet of Arctic Char in their freezer, and I'm wondering if I should cook it the same as Salmon.

Looking at Kenji's salmon recipe it seems like I could just let it thaw and cook inside its vacuum seal. Is this okay, or should I do any prep before cooking?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

umalt posted:

I'm new to the vizzle game (literally just a chicken breast and a package of bacon) and I just realized that my fiance a filet of Arctic Char in their freezer, and I'm wondering if I should cook it the same as Salmon.

Looking at Kenji's salmon recipe it seems like I could just let it thaw and cook inside its vacuum seal. Is this okay, or should I do any prep before cooking?

Usually vac-sealed fish has warnings stamped all over it saying to take it out of the vac bag before thawing. I don't know why.

If you're talking about bagging and and cooking a frozen piece instead of a thawed piece, it will be fine. You'll end up with more fish juice in the bag, but who cares.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

theres a will theres moe posted:

Usually vac-sealed fish has warnings stamped all over it saying to take it out of the vac bag before thawing. I don't know why.

Botulism toxin

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/open_your_vacuum_packed_fish_before_thawing

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I was thinking of trying to make cheesecake in a mason jar like many of the recipes I have seen. One of the biggest points of failure has been closing the lid. Everything says don't close it too tight because air needs to escape but I really don't have canning experience so there is a greater than zero probability I would close too loose or too tight.

What would happen if I vacuum sealed the jar and then closed it tight? I figure it would have a place for air to expand since it has been sucked out and then I can just tighten without worrying about it. Would this work or is there some other downfall I am missing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If your custard was whisked there's a possibility it will expand when vacuumed and create a huge mess.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

If your custard was whisked there's a possibility it will expand when vacuumed and create a huge mess.

On the other hand, that could make it fluffier if I make sure there is room for that expansion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it about there being enough room, or about the custard being pulled into the vacuum device?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

dalstrs posted:

On the other hand, that could make it fluffier if I make sure there is room for that expansion.

There's a lot of roadblocks to the fluffing though. If you fluff it, you'd have to stop the vacuum right before it hit the top of the jar. At that point, the expanded air bubbles may or may not slowly release their gas into the top part of the chamber, slowly causing the custard to shrink again. If the expanded bubbles don't lose their gas to the top of the chamber, they'll get crushed anyways when you reopen the jar. You can freeze the custard to maintain the fluffed volume (I've done this to ice cream to novel effect) but you're gonna cook it sous vide after anyways so freezing isn't going to help.

Now, you might, might, might be able to vacuum it, wait to see if it expands then shrinks again, vacuum it a second time to see if you can remove the gas from the collapsing bubbles, and then at that point cook it sous vide hoping any more gas release is able to be absorbed by the 80% vacuum in the jar. I dunno, maybe worth an experiment.

Umm maybe use safety goggles or wear glasses when you open it after cooking.

Wouldn't it just be easier to fill the water line up to just below the lid, and then put a lid over the whole sous vide container to make sure the air above the lid gets up to the same temp?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2017

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Put another mark in the 'forgot to take the twine off the chuck roast before cutting' camp.
Pretty sure I fed a bunch of people very soft twine.

In other news a little of that leftover meat helped make a kickass meat tomato sauce for pasta.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pretty sure they needed more insoluble fiber anyways

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

theres a will theres moe posted:

If you're talking about bagging and and cooking a frozen piece instead of a thawed piece, it will be fine. You'll end up with more fish juice in the bag, but who cares.

Thanks! I ended up thawing it (outside of the bag!) while I made some of Kenji's glazed carrots and it turned out great! Just forgot to season it before cooking and seared one half of the filet too long, but I guess it's lessons for next time.

Also how do you guys store your immersion cookers? I can't really get a meat aquarium Cambro since my kitchen is tiny, so I have it sitting upright on my counter. It seems like a bad idea, but I don't really have any better ideas either. :shrug:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Mine is just clamped to the bin I use and out in the open because after 4 years of moving I finally have a real sized kitchen and nothing else to leave on the counters :(

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

There's a lot of roadblocks to the fluffing though. If you fluff it, you'd have to stop the vacuum right before it hit the top of the jar. At that point, the expanded air bubbles may or may not slowly release their gas into the top part of the chamber, slowly causing the custard to shrink again. If the expanded bubbles don't lose their gas to the top of the chamber, they'll get crushed anyways when you reopen the jar. You can freeze the custard to maintain the fluffed volume (I've done this to ice cream to novel effect) but you're gonna cook it sous vide after anyways so freezing isn't going to help.

Now, you might, might, might be able to vacuum it, wait to see if it expands then shrinks again, vacuum it a second time to see if you can remove the gas from the collapsing bubbles, and then at that point cook it sous vide hoping any more gas release is able to be absorbed by the 80% vacuum in the jar. I dunno, maybe worth an experiment.

Umm maybe use safety goggles or wear glasses when you open it after cooking.

Wouldn't it just be easier to fill the water line up to just below the lid, and then put a lid over the whole sous vide container to make sure the air above the lid gets up to the same temp?

I always vac my creme brulees and ice cream base before putting in the bath. Only time I had a vacuum expansion incident was with a starch-thickened ice cream base. If you're concerned, you should be OK by letting the batter settle and degas before portioning into jars and vaccing. That said, if you're worried about it, just don't vac them, the right ring tightness is very easy to get, just tighten all the way and then just loosen them, there's a pretty wide tolerance where expanding air will be able to get in but the water pressure will keep the lid tight enough to not get water in. The design's been in use for 150 years for a reason, after all.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the best fuel for a torch to char stuff post sous vide?
Thinking I'm gonna grab something to finish stuff up.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Bape Culture posted:

What's the best fuel for a torch to char stuff post sous vide?
Thinking I'm gonna grab something to finish stuff up.

I use a BZ4500HS with MAP-Pro fuel, totally perfect, I didn't buy it to sous vide but hey its tools that I had in the garage!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone made Sea Scallops? I assume they will work and just need a quick sear after. I bought a big bag of them at Sam's Club last week and was thinking that would be my next cook.

Any recipes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IIRC sous vide for scallops doesn't really help. You want them seared and rare, so precooking in SV doesn't really help. I think Kenji wrote about it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

sous vide: I think Kenji wrote about it.

Mods? Title change right here.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah you can't beat a hot-rear end pan for scallops and they take no time to cook. That variance in doneness makes them texturally interesting.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-seared-scallops-recipe-0170067.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The Anova is currently on sale for $129.99 if anyone else is like me and has been lurking in this thread waiting for a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culina...&keywords=anova

Edit: Since I'm new to the sous vide game, would there be benefit to using a cast iron dutch oven as the cooking vehicle? I imagine it might take longer to heat but might stabilize temperatures better. Thoughts?

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 4, 2017