Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

um no it does not

youre thinking of the nexus 5x the link you provided is for the nexus 5 which is not fi compatible
here's one for $180 https://swappa.com/listing/RFW441/view

my point still stands, you don't have to upgrade and you don't have to buy the newest thing on the market like a capitalist pig, oink oink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the first fi phone was the nexus 6

the fact that you cant identify the phone youd recommend does not make your recommendation look particularly wise. also the nexus 5x is failing in the field quite often so much so that lg is just giving people their money back on it. buying one now would be amazingly stupid unless you happened to the get the original receipt so you could scam lg

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

the nexus 5x is failing in the field quite often so much so that lg is just giving people their money back on it. buying one now would be amazingly stupid unless you happened to the get the original receipt so you could scam lg
[citation needed] cuz you're just smearing the FUD all over the place

and the first fi phone was the nexus 6 only because it was in beta, a few months later they allowed 5x's in

whatever man, your credit card bills are your problem not mine

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bhodi posted:

my point still stands, you don't have to upgrade and you don't have to buy the newest thing on the market like a capitalist pig, oink oink

You can get a new g4 for 150 off Amazon unlocked or a g4 play carrier locked for 85

They are recent and not experiencing hardware failures

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bhodi posted:

and the first fi phone was the nexus 6 only because it was in beta, a few months later they allowed 5x's in

http://www.androidguys.com/2016/11/25/lg-gives-full-refunds-for-nexus-5x-units-affected-by-particular-hardware-failure/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
any indication of what percentage of phones are affected? not that it matters, a g4 is fine except you probably want to get google fi because as has been stated and confirmed in this very thread, it is the best, and your most frugal option on it is the 5x

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I pay 35 dollars a month for 5gb of data on verizon which is actually cheaper than the equivalent for fi iirc

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Total wireless ftw btw

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that is pretty ownage

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bhodi posted:

heres 500 people on googles forums and heres a story with links to others

ofc you dont have to go that far like ten people in the grey forums have had theirs fail.

lg burned through their refurb stock a while ago and everything you see on swappa is going to be one that lg swapped out for a working one and their owners are smartly dumping before it fails too

the n6 was the first fi phone because it was the first nexus with a unified us baseband and because the 5x/6P didnt exist for another year. the n5 came in cdma and gsm variants the d821 and d820 respectively and therefore obviously couldnt work on fi. phones not made except in the future are compatible but are unfortunately difficult to source

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
sorry, i dunno what you're talking about because i literally looked at the prices on fi and bought the cheapest rectangle to shitpost with but i'm sure it's very important and persuasive and will happily make people spend $650

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bhodi posted:

sorry, i dunno what you're talking about because i literally looked at the prices on fi and bought the cheapest rectangle to shitpost with but i'm sure it's very important and persuasive and will happily make people spend $650

lol i spend a lot of time in iyg i know dumb people do dumb things your example may add to the pile but does not provide anything unique

you even defended your purchase in the correct order

-you should do what i did and heres a lot of incorrect information as to why
-okay so maybe all of the things i believed were factually incorrect but it sure was cheap
-okay its not cheap when you factor in aggravation+time but its still what i did

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

People say the pixel is the best phone out. I've seen the pictures it takes and they are extremely good. Everyone says it's fluid and smooth in a way that is incomparable to phones before it. I don't think that justifies it's price but I don't care if it does to someone else

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I got a v20 and I think it's a swell phone despite being more expensive than an i7

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

lol i spend a lot of time in iyg i know dumb people do dumb things your example may add to the pile but does not provide anything unique

you even defended your purchase in the correct order

-you should do what i did and heres a lot of incorrect information as to why
-okay so maybe all of the things i believed were factually incorrect but it sure was cheap
-okay its not cheap when you factor in aggravation+time but its still what i did
I didn't know there were two separate phones called 5 and 5x because i don't live in iyg. why are you trying to fishmech so hard, no one can possibly care this much. it's still the cheapest phone you can get if you are on fi which you should be with the maybe exception of an only-data plan

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
any of u dorks ever heard talk of the iPhone before? i recommend u check it out immediately

thanks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

People say the pixel is the best phone out. I've seen the pictures it takes and they are extremely good. Everyone says it's fluid and smooth in a way that is incomparable to phones before it. I don't think that justifies it's price but I don't care if it does to someone else

its a lot easier to justify now when theres no other android this smooth its going to be a lot harder next year when there will also be used pixels you can compare to

right now tho its a p. simple choice if youre in the us and wont get an iphone either buy a pixel or buy whatever version of the g4 you can live with (fingerprint sensor/ads/size/etc) every other option makes no sense at all

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yep I have the g4

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LastInLine posted:

um no it does not

youre thinking of the nexus 5x the link you provided is for the nexus 5 which is not fi compatible

Android, not even once

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

https://swappa.com/buy/nexus-5-unlocked

maybe there is a middle road where i can still read twitter and shitpost from a phone that doesn't cost six hundred fifty dollars, no nevermind i simply MUST spend to read internet text in the greatest fidelity, yay capitalism

the previous generation that only came out 3 years ago is 1/6th the cost and has 100% of the functionality minus a slightly worse camera and unless you are doing something like google cardboard you can't tell the difference. i dunno where this obsession with having the latest and greatest phone came from sometime in the last decade, marketing i guess

i asked you for a new phone, not a used phone from over 3 years ago, which incidentally launched for $350 for the base version, which is quite a bit more than cheap enough to buy 4 for 650

Bhodi posted:

why do you keep posting used, old phones?

the one you linked here cost $429 when it was new. you definitely weren't buying 4 of those for $650

are you under some mistaken impression that the pixel is going to cost the $650 to buy forever, like people are just going to refuse to sell used ones for cheap in a year or two?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i would love to buy a pixel phone, unfortunately i live in a country that is not Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, United States

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheany posted:

i would love to buy a pixel phone, unfortunately i live in a country that is not Australia, Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, United States

sorry to hear

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my needs are extremely suited by my huge gold nexus 6p that i got for 450 new with the fi discount.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Glans Dillzig posted:

will I hate myself if I buy a pixel

I swore off anroid after the disaster that was the gnex aka my first smart phone and the pixel is so good I switched back from iPhone for it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forgot this was a thing

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Jesus christ, I accidentally stuck my s-pen in backwards in my Note 5 and bricked the lever that detects the pen. This has got to be the dumbest design possible. Anyone run into this and is this something Samsung will warranty (haha)?

naturally some guy who constantly talks about playing children's games on his phone is defending Samsung

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
pen-s

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

how do you even stick that in backwards???

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Syncopated posted:

how do you even stick that in backwards???

very carefully

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

I forgot this was a thing

naturally some guy who constantly talks about playing children's games on his phone is defending Samsung

I thought they fixed that after the first one that had that problem

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Blue Train posted:

The fix was a sticker saying don't do it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
my pixel is good and strong and cool

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cocoa Crispies posted:

According to the bad thread they did and then walked it back because samsung

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
like my first thought is "couldn't they key it like have the hole be round and the wrong end of the pen-s be square so it won't fit" but i'm apparently better at mechanical and industrial design than samsung's phone team

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the design team doubtlessly thought of it but some high level exec probably said something vaguely dismissive about a keyed prototype catching on their hand and thus an edict was made that it had to be the same diameter the entire length.

at least that's how I would expect it to go, having worked in a different division of Samsung in the past.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

the design team doubtlessly thought of it but some high level exec probably said something vaguely dismissive about a keyed prototype catching on their hand and thus an edict was made that it had to be the same diameter the entire length.

and that executive thought he was steve jobs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Wheany posted:

i would love to buy a pixel phone, unfortunately i live in a country that is not, Canada,

lol if you think our telecom and isp system is in any way functional except on paper

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Endless Mike posted:

bricked the lever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like my first thought is "couldn't they key it like have the hole be round and the wrong end of the pen-s be square so it won't fit" but i'm apparently better at mechanical and industrial design than samsung's phone team

you mean like palm and handspring did twenty years ago? naaaaah. those companies are dead and their stylus secrets died with them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some patent bullshit involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some patent bullshit involved

if that was the case then how come all the other samsung notes dont have this problem?

• Locked thread