Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

savinhill posted:

Yeah, Red Knight series is entertaining.

Daniel Polansky is well worth reading, although I think his Lowtown books are much better than the epic series he's written.
Red Knight sounds good, I'll have to read that.

As for Polansky, yeah I enjoyed his Low Town books, I think they're a fun read, but Builders and Those Above/Below was kind of mediocre to lovely.

Also I'd throw out there Sebastien de Castell's Great Coats series (a strong homage to Three Musketeers) as being loving fantastic and also really funny+witty yet fairly serious at the same time. I had a huge stupid grin on my face plowing through those the entire time.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
About 1/3 of the way through Republic of Thieves. Yea, it's a Locke Lamora book but one going through the motions.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I must be a plebe since I prefer modern day authors to the old famous more literary authors.

Wolfe is way too thick and incomprehensible and the story itself suffers from the overly wordy and vague world where lots is written but little actually happens, and if it happens heaven forbid he actually explains what happens in clear words. Leguin just seems bland to me, though I've only really read Earthsea by her. Can't stand Tolkien, who spends hours talking about nothing in particular and is overly in love with the most unimportant parts of his own world. Haven't read Mieville, mostly because I was getting the vibes from his book that it's more about describing his weird world than having an interesting plot or characters.

I don't know why, I just find it really hard to appreciate the good 'prose' these people have when it seems like that sort of prose is at the direct cost of an entertaining story.

Stories are stupid and prose is good actually.

StonecutterJoe posted:

Like, books that don't even come up as used copies if you look them up on Amazon, and they'll never get e-book versions.
holy poo poo imagine a book only being available in physical form

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I wrote a rundown of the 10 best books I read in 2016, six of which were sci-fi:

https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/top-10-books-of-2016/

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

A human heart posted:

holy poo poo imagine a book only being available in physical form

You're fortunate not to have this problem, apparently, but for those of us with tiny apartments, being able to keep your entire library on a Kindle instead of four-odd bookshelves is kind of a big deal. Also really nice when it's time to move.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Llamadeus posted:

I wanna point out that Earthsea is a very popular series of books mostly aimed at children and young adults. It shouldn't be rejected for being overly literary unless your bar for literary is extremely low :v:

Earthsea has vast literary quality, it's just way more readable than a lot of "literary" fiction.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StonecutterJoe posted:

You're fortunate not to have this problem, apparently, but for those of us with tiny apartments, being able to keep your entire library on a Kindle instead of four-odd bookshelves is kind of a big deal. Also really nice when it's time to move.

It's actually possible to get books from the library, so that you don't need to store them at home.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wolpertinger posted:

I must be a plebe since I prefer modern day authors to the old famous more literary authors.

Wolfe is way too thick and incomprehensible and the story itself suffers from the overly wordy and vague world where lots is written but little actually happens, and if it happens heaven forbid he actually explains what happens in clear words. Leguin just seems bland to me, though I've only really read Earthsea by her. Can't stand Tolkien, who spends hours talking about nothing in particular and is overly in love with the most unimportant parts of his own world. Haven't read Mieville, mostly because I was getting the vibes from his book that it's more about describing his weird world than having an interesting plot or characters.

I don't know why, I just find it really hard to appreciate the good 'prose' these people have when it seems like that sort of prose is at the direct cost of an entertaining story.

I can agree with you about Tolkien, but I really do think Wolfe's prose adds greatly to the enjoyment of his books. This is best deployed in more unusual settings with fantastic imagery where the evocative and lurid descriptions maintain interest until things start to become clear - the Solar Cycle, the Latro books, and the Wizard-Knight are the examples that spring to mind. His more grounded works suffer in comparison, and the confusion you refer to makes them rather unsatisfying to read, though there's usually something there to analyse.. The exceptions are Peace and the Fifth Head of Cerberus, which are both concise enough and are structured into relatively short segments which do interrelate but can be analysed and enjoyed independently, so that each part is digestible and the total book isn't so overwhelming it's difficult to come to grips with.

And thanks for the feedback on Ken MacLeod's book, I've picked it up.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

A human heart posted:

It's actually possible to get books from the library, so that you don't need to store them at home.

Yeah, because nobody wants to actually own books they love. You're right, Mr. Spock. Quite logical.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

What's gotten you so worked up? Pretty antagonistic over a guy wanting an ebook version.

Ebooks are fantastic, readability, ability to edit, weight, portability; a digital library is as good or better than physical media except when it comes to having stuff on display so you can impress people you have over at your home. "Yeah, baby, that's my signed Jim Davis Omnibus :smuggo:"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

StonecutterJoe posted:

Plus, if I lose an ebook, NBD I just download a new copy from Amazon/Kobo/:filez:. If I lose my copy of Moderately Obscure 70's Sci-Fi, I'll have to start trawling used bookstores from here to Chicago.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Oh please. I'm a big ebook fan but they pretty clearly are not capable of some of the things physical books can do. Physical books are much easier to flip through quickly, annotate, etc. Plus the aesthetics of holding the book itself, the cover, the weight, are clearly valuable to some people even if you don't care about them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I prefer real books because all the nice tangible qualities, but my giant kobo ereader definitely wins out for reading like a 500-600 page novel.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maps in science fiction novels, and inserted graphics (such as Stormlight) are garbage in ebook format.. you usually can't zoom on them, and they tend to not be rotation friendly even on a big tablet.

That said, I prefer ebook even without an audible option.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Twenty years from now printed fiction books are going to have the same status that vinyl records have today. Weird, bulky, inconvenient things with strangely dedicated hipster following that are really into them for reasons that normal people don't understand or care about.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nippashish posted:

Twenty years from now printed fiction books are going to have the same status that vinyl records have today. Weird, bulky, inconvenient things with strangely dedicated hipster following that are really into them for reasons that normal people don't understand or care about.

They won't because they're a dumb gimmick and most books worth reading aren't available as ebooks.

Drifter posted:

What's gotten you so worked up? Pretty antagonistic over a guy wanting an ebook version.

i don't know why you think any of the posts i've made in here are antagonistic

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not to keen on ebooks myself but I think he's right here. Ebook sales have gone through the roof year after year and all other media are migrating to computers and stuff too. Anyway, only weird hipsters care about books being actually good.

A human heart posted:

Stories are stupid and prose is good actually.

Nice to see you defending Tolkien for a change :3:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A human heart posted:

They won't because they're a dumb gimmick and most books worth reading aren't available as ebooks.

i don't know why you think any of the posts i've made in here are antagonistic

Your posting in general is pretty weird and negative so maybe it's just an aura you carry around with you

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

A human heart posted:

You will be one of the hipsters.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nippashish posted:

You will be one of the hipsters.

:owned:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

So what you guys are saying is that i will be able to sell my 3€ paperbacks for 300 Trump dollars to discerning clients.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
can you imagine all those sci fi space heros lugging 5 40lbs boxes of mushed up tree with ink squirted on em into orbit? hellllll no.

Eventually all the people who like paper books are going to be dead and the ones who read ebooks are going to be in control.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Baloogan posted:

can you imagine all those sci fi space heros lugging 5 40lbs boxes of mushed up tree with ink squirted on em into orbit? hellllll no.

Eventually all the people who like paper books are going to be dead and the ones who read ebooks are going to be in control.
they're in the future, they have advanced technology like 3d printing which will enable them to produce 2d printers, to make REAL books.

space wars will be waged to deforest entire worlds in search of the perfect paper.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

While enslaving the space squids for ink production. Some mil sci author will write a book where the squids are the real racists.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ink is sentient.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

90s Cringe Rock posted:

they're in the future, they have advanced technology like 3d printing which will enable them to produce 2d printers, to make REAL books.

There was a proposed technology in the late 80s/early 90s where you could go to a bookstore and order a book printed and bound (in paperback) on the spot (well, in several minutes, at least). That way, you wouldn't have to order the book and the bookstore could cut down on physical inventory since no book would ever go out of print.

Apparently, it exists now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q946sfGLxm4

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 2, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Safety Biscuits posted:

I'm not to keen on ebooks myself but I think he's right here. Ebook sales have gone through the roof year after year and all other media are migrating to computers and stuff too.

Except they've been dropping for a couple of years now. It turns out a fair few people will go for a physical book when it costs the same as (or is cheaper than) an eBook.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The main reason an ebook will never replace a normal book is if you swat a fly with an e-reader you can break the screen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Glumslinger posted:

Does the third book get better? I gave up on that one a bit in since I hadn't loved the second one. I really enjoyed the first one a lot, but I feel like each subsequent book kept adding baggage that took away from the story

Yes, the second book is generally considered the weakest part of the series. I'd definitely say check out the third and see if it hooks you again.

It'll depend on what, exactly, you liked about the first book and what you didn't like about the second. It's never going to stop being an off-brand retelling of the French Revolution with magic and demons, and it's never going to go back to being as much of a military procedural as it was during the original (I figure Wexler thinks he's drawn as much from that well as there was to draw).

The main problem I had with book 2 was pacing. There were just far too many plotlines running in parallel, and far too little time spread too thinly between them. That is not a problem that recurs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

The main reason an ebook will never replace a normal book is if you swat a fly with an e-reader you can break the screen.

Alternatively, you could just keep your house clean.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Neurosis posted:

I can agree with you about Tolkien, but I really do think Wolfe's prose adds greatly to the enjoyment of his books. This is best deployed in more unusual settings with fantastic imagery where the evocative and lurid descriptions maintain interest until things start to become clear - the Solar Cycle, the Latro books, and the Wizard-Knight are the examples that spring to mind.

In what way do the Latro books have evocative and lurid prose? They are expressly written in a workmanlike voice of a commoner/soldier, not a professional writer or poet. It's inherent to the story. They have the same style as Pirate Freedom.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

flosofl posted:

Alternatively, you could just keep your house clean.

Ah yes, a house, as well as being the only location one ever reads, is absolutely fly proof when clean.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Why the gently caress would you want to get dead fly all over a good book anyway?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Y'all got some huge flies.

EDIT: BRB inventing an e-reader with an inbuilt bug zapper.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
People will never stop reading scrolls! Codex style books are a FAD!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Safety Biscuits posted:

I'm not to keen on ebooks myself but I think he's right here. Ebook sales have gone through the roof year after year and all other media are migrating to computers and stuff too. Anyway, only weird hipsters care about books being actually good.
Unironically, most of the hipsters I know who collect books, only do so in order to do that "Arranged by color" poo poo on their shelves - and of course to put stuff like FInnegan's Wake and Gravity's Rainbow where people can see the and assume that said hipster is literate.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/02/11/arranging_your_books_by_color_is_not_a_moral_failure.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Unironically, most of the hipsters I know who collect books, only do so in order to do that "Arranged by color" poo poo on their shelves - and of course to put stuff like FInnegan's Wake and Gravity's Rainbow where people can see the and assume that said hipster is literate.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/02/11/arranging_your_books_by_color_is_not_a_moral_failure.html

Jesus christ.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A friend of mine arranges her books by colour but it's mostly because that's how she most easily mentally associates them and so can easily find them. vOv

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's nothing wrong with arranging books to look pretty, especially if you do most of your reading with ebooks and only buy hardcopies if they're something you really want to own, or because they were cheap secondhand books, or you were stuck waiting for a train and your phone's battery was too low to get a few hours of reading done.

There is also nothing wrong with owning eighteen full sets of Proust and leaving them scattered around the place with dog-ears and bookmarks, as long as you're doing it ironically enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Except they've been dropping for a couple of years now. It turns out a fair few people will go for a physical book when it costs the same as (or is cheaper than) an eBook.

Going back to this for the second. You can real books as cheap as ebooks now??? :stare:

I don't think that's going to beat the sheer convenience of going from "I want to buy a book" to reading in less than a minute for me, but if somewhere's selling books for £2~£3 apiece I want to know about it.