Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

You can't just keeping paying G to get an energy and returning it, right? If you have 2 energy, you have to pay 2...

afaik you can never be forced to pay a cost, but the "if you can't" is new to me so I don't know if it works functionally different than "if you don't".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

So why couldn't this be a red card?

there is probably a similar red card that gets haste at least, even tho that's like almost useless since most permanents leaving the battlefield happens with combat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

afaik you can never be forced to pay a cost, but the "if you can't" is new to me so I don't know if it works functionally different than "if you don't".

I think something that lets to pay G for 1 energy as many times as you want is probably too good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Cynic Jester posted:

This seems very playable. Very.

yeah thats busted as gently caress.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Deserved better art.

dollars to donuts it's going to be an fnm promo

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

I think something that lets to pay G for 1 energy as many times as you want is probably too good.

its not. you dont get the choice to not pay the energy.

edit: but muktiple 3\4 on turn 3 is going to be an issue

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

my read is that you're required to pay if you can, because it says "pay 2 E" instead of "you may pay 2 E"

by the way, what is up with that elephant's tusk?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Revolting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

It should have added E when you cast, and removed E with an ETB ability so you could play fun tricks with the energy while it's on the stack and get your bounce.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It should have added E when you cast, and removed E with an ETB ability so you could play fun tricks with the energy while it's on the stack and get your bounce.

Cast abilities are Eldrazi Only - RnD

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Red Must Suck :v:

consulate dreadnaught's crew cost should definitely be lower. I have been in many 7/11s that were crewed by only one or two people :colbert:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

If you have GG, you can still just play that on turn 2. I guess we get to see how good a turn 2 vanilla 3/4 is in standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

W
Instant
Gain 3 life.
Revolt - Gain 6 life.

U:
Counter a spell with cmc 2 or less.
Revolt - Counter a spell with CMC 4 or less.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

U:
Seems good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

U:
Counter an artifact spell with cmc 2 or less.
Revolt - Counter a spell with CMC 2 or less.

Fixed it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fish Of Doom posted:

If you have GG, you can still just play that on turn 2. I guess we get to see how good a turn 2 vanilla 3/4 is in standard.

No you can't. If you have no energy it would cost GGG. You can Attune into that on T2 though...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh wait, spoiler season is when we complain about how WotC hates our color of choice so I bet it'll be more like

UUUU

Counter target spell, draw a card
Revolt - draw another card card

Sorcery.

mcmagic posted:

No you can't. If you have no energy it would cost GGG. You can Attune into that though...

Turn 1 play it. Turn 2 play it twice.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

No you can't. If you have no energy it would cost GGG. You can Attune into that though...

turn 1: play stupid-tusked elephant, make an energy
turn 2: play stupid-tusked elephant, make an energy, then play it again

I don't think that's good though

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Oh wait, spoiler season is when we complain about how WotC hates our color of choice so I bet it'll be more like

UUUU

Sorcery.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

UUUU

Sorcery.

True

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

You can crew with that elephant before it bounces, it's really good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

U:

I don't think we're getting Vastly Superior Spell Snare, though I sure wouldn't complain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So this set is REALLY aggressive...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

U:

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. Yeah no if we got this it would be UU1 and mythic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

before anyone says anything no this is not good enough for affinity

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

mcmagic posted:

At last, a playable sliver/myr

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what happens when adaptive automaton gets the bramblewood paragon treatment

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

You can be forced to "pay a cost", such as things that make you sacrifice a creature during your upkeep. As far as I know there is no card that forces you to pay mana for anything, because it would be pointless, because you could just not activate mana abilities and then not have the mana so mana payments would always be optional anyway. Energy just sits around in your reserve so you can certainly have effects that force you to pay it.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Wow this is pretty loving good in limited with Servos, or Artificers.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

But probably good enough for Merfolk

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Lets Pickle posted:

You can be forced to "pay a cost", such as things that make you sacrifice a creature during your upkeep. As far as I know there is no card that forces you to pay mana for anything, because it would be pointless, because you could just not activate mana abilities and then not have the mana so mana payments would always be optional anyway. Energy just sits around in your reserve so you can certainly have effects that force you to pay it.

The interaction I'm basing that guess off of is a creature that must attack an opponent who has an untapped Archangel of Tithes

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

ThePeavstenator posted:

But probably good enough for Merfolk

Merfolk probably has enough lords already.

But elves doesn't have a 2-mana one in modern yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

U:

This at 1U is pretty drat good I think

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Greenbelt rampager + elemental bond?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

The interaction I'm basing that guess off of is a creature that must attack an opponent who has an untapped Archangel of Tithes

All the must attack abilities say "attacks IF ABLE." Which means that if there is an extra cost associated with attacking the creature might not be able, such as if you don't pay the cost. In your example no creature would have to attack the opponent with the Archangel because you can just not pay the 1 mana.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Are you sure? It says artifact on it...

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Well, since B got a one-mana answer to 90% of the deck, Merfolk deserved another 2-drop Lord

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Procrastinator posted:

Merfolk probably has enough lords already.

Merfolk would sleeve up an entire deck of Seas, Vials, and 2 mana lords if it could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

This at 1U is pretty drat good I think

And it still wouldn't be good enough for modern at 1U. It would probably be legacy playable though

• Locked thread