Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Attestant posted:

I might do a single 11-pull on the second banner, just to shore up my synergy a little more. I got armor for everyone, but very few XIV weapons.

I'm hoping for more his Papalymo's toys, particularly his burst. Anything else is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

1st AD posted:

Generally with his BSB, this is the flow:
1)BSB Command 1 does 4 hits and removes delay from his next action.
2)Use a summon that hits a weakness
3)repeat as needed or
4)BSB Command 2 does 2 hits and restores 1 cast of an ability.

Please don't do this. The actual flow (against a single target boss) is:

1) BSB command 1
2) Repeat 1) until Burst Mode ends, then instant cast your BSB with the leftover powerchain and start over again.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I thought his burst got hype in part due to Valigarmanda/full power Tiamat/Meltdown+command 2, since you can Enwind the latter two and the first one's 16.5x tri-element.

I've never mathed this out, but at the very least, the latter two seemed like such heavy hitters as to be worth it.

But yeah don't just use even normal 5* Summons like Bahamut with it. The Command 1, due to the Enwind and Powerchain, is definitely way better than that. I just was thinking the comparison wasn't as bad in the cases I listed?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Lol Tyros OSB dollar pull. 🙄

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
As I understand it, the threshold for the Tiamat summon to hit twice is a magic of 599, and to hit three times needs a magic of 1191. That seems pretty outclassed by Bahamut and Titan without some fairly crazy synergy and buff stacking. Am I missing how awesome it is somehow?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SageAcrin posted:

I thought his burst got hype in part due to Valigarmanda/full power Tiamat/Meltdown+command 2, since you can Enwind the latter two and the first one's 16.5x tri-element.

I've never mathed this out, but at the very least, the latter two seemed like such heavy hitters as to be worth it.

But yeah don't just use even normal 5* Summons like Bahamut with it. The Command 1, due to the Enwind and Powerchain, is definitely way better than that. I just was thinking the comparison wasn't as bad in the cases I listed?

The only time anything other than command 1 spam is ever worthwhile is: if the enemy is neutral or worse to wind and fully weak to fire or earth (meltdown until empty->command2->repeat); if the enemy is neutral or worse to wind and fully weak to fire, ice, or thunder (valigarmanda until empty->command 2->repeat); or if there are multiple bosses you don't care about hitting Weak phase at the same time (3 hit tiamat or valigarmanda until empty->command 2->repeat).

Against any single target boss which takes anything less than 200% damage from earth or fire (while also not being any degree of weak to wind), command 1 is always better. Technically 3 hit tiamat is very slightly better than command 1 spam against a single target boss for pure single rotation DPS, but command 1 spam has several benefits there which outweigh the very minor single rotation DPS increase (it doesn't cost an ability slot, it doesn't cost any orbs to hone, it generates more SB gauge, and it lets you recast your BSB instantly when it runs out).

It was hyped in part because of the ether command, but in the vast majority of situations the ether command is a trap. Command 1 does a very sizeable amount of damage per cast (16k for me against neutral difficulty 220 bosses). Stick with the instant cast.

Stopgap posted:

As I understand it, the threshold for the Tiamat summon to hit twice is a magic of 599, and to hit three times needs a magic of 1191. That seems pretty outclassed by Bahamut and Titan without some fairly crazy synergy and buff stacking. Am I missing how awesome it is somehow?

1191 isn't that hard to hit. You need 490 character sheet magic for it assuming you're using Devotion, two stacking 30% Magic buffs (Onion Knight + Papalymo/Sheepsong/Braska SSB2/Selphie BSB/Yuna BSB2/Raines BSB/etc), and the character you're casting Tiamat with has Burst Mode active. Alphinaud has 192 Magic at level 80 with his BSB mastered; you can easily pick up 50 from armor and accessory, bringing you to 242. 148 Magic is reachable from there via synergy rod/staff/book, 6 star rod/staff/book (no rods or staves yet but there will be some down the line), augmented once-upgraded 5 star caster rod/staff/book, or normal augmented 5 star caster rod/staff/book with more heavily mag-weighted armor. Once he gets his MC3, it'll be much easier since he gets +35 Magic on his way to 99. At that point you just need any 5 star caster weapon he can equip.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 2, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Really debating whether I should pull on banner 4. The only ice sb I have is lagunas ssb and the only water sb I have is bartz' flurry storm bsb command, but I don't really like any of the relics except maybe Edges bsb. Or maybe I should do another xiv pull. Or both hmmmm 🤔

I have 300 mythril atm 😁

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
Crafted my first Full Break today~ :3: I'm entirely too pleased about this. Maybe I'll be able to do the ward of four crystals event properly? Although only Terra's anywhere near semi-ready, eh.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Torments tonight. Haven't seen much buzz about it, assuming it's going to be a similar difficulty jump to OG BahaSin.

I'll be attempting the CM since I've accrued 3 BSBs, a medica and a hastega.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
quick question, do elemental damage bonuses stack?

Like, does the holy damage bonus on lightbringer sword for beatrix stack if I also put basch's platinum shield unique on her?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hi posted:

quick question, do elemental damage bonuses stack?

Like, does the holy damage bonus on lightbringer sword for beatrix stack if I also put basch's platinum shield unique on her?

Yes, they stack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

1191 isn't that hard to hit. You need 490 character sheet magic for it assuming you're using Devotion, two stacking 30% Magic buffs (Onion Knight + Papalymo/Sheepsong/Braska SSB2/Selphie BSB/Yuna BSB2/Raines BSB/etc), and the character you're casting Tiamat with has Burst Mode active. Alphinaud has 192 Magic at level 80 with his BSB mastered; you can easily pick up 50 from armor and accessory, bringing you to 242. 148 Magic is reachable from there via synergy rod/staff/book, 6 star rod/staff/book (no rods or staves yet but there will be some down the line), augmented once-upgraded 5 star caster rod/staff/book, or normal augmented 5 star caster rod/staff/book with more heavily mag-weighted armor. Once he gets his MC3, it'll be much easier since he gets +35 Magic on his way to 99. At that point you just need any 5 star caster weapon he can equip.

Don't forget that Alphinaud can already pick up 30 MAG from fully Diving him; that cuts down the required MAG from equipment down to 268.

You're underestimating the amount of MAG you need from the weapon though - 242 + 148 = 390, 100 short. You won't be reaching it with only two buffs and Devotion without using synergy. If you want to use it with a 6* weapon you'll need a third 30% buff. If you have a 7* SSB+ weapon you should be able to manage it with an additional 20% buff - so something like Darkflare Star + Vessel of Fate + Strange Vision.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 2, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Setup for the Torment CM tonight, have at it goons

Might switch meteor for Shiva for weakness medals but I'd be concerned about a lack of aoe wave clear for the trash

PS. ewFR for a V geared Celes SSB. It's pretty good for conserving hones vs. the trash and, most importantly, the bosses' strong single target spells

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget that Alphinaud can already pick up 30 MAG from fully Diving him; that cuts down the required MAG from equipment down to 268.

You're underestimating the amount of MAG you need from the weapon though - 242 + 148 = 390, 100 short. You won't be reaching it with only two buffs and Devotion without using synergy. If you want to use it with a 6* weapon you'll need a third 30% buff. If you have a 7* SSB+ weapon you should be able to manage it with an additional 20% buff - so something like Darkflare Star + Vessel of Fate + Strange Vision.

tiamat is too fickle, just use meltdown

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Good lord I've had a major power spike thanks to December :catstare:

I've suddenly gone from just having medica to having the whole Trifecta, moved into 4 and five star abilities and having enough basic hones to not use auto attack much, plus having amazing BSBs for Water, Fire and Wind. This is awesome :getin:

I am completely screwed on phys-immune or ranged-only fights.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

W.T. Fits posted:

Yes, they stack.

Whoa I didn't know this. I have a couple red armlets so bring on those generic fire+ daggers banner two.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Inge posted:

tiamat is too fickle, just use meltdown

Tiamat is AoE though

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Still a cute newbie, coming back with a few more questions. I have one party at lv16 so I'm still way back at the beginning of the game. Sorry if this comes up a lot in 200 pages. I only saw the 1st point touched on in the OP.

What should I be doing with all my equipment and poo poo that I'm collecting? I've filled my inventory (or at least the one for armor/weapons) with a mix of whatever crap I get from leveling, login bonuses, and a few gacha pulls. So I have a decent collection of 5-6 star items but a lot of dupes of 1-3 stars also. Should I just vendor everything under a certain star level? I know some games will drop loot at the highest rarity level I've had, so it would be advantageous to upgrade stuff to 3* so all future drops are base 3*. Is that the case here?

My party consists of the first 5 chars I unlocked (the PC, WHM, BLM, Cloud, and Kain). Am I right in understanding that I should pretty much use whoever I have the best gear for as long as I keep the 3dps, 1 heal, 1 support mix? At least as a newbie until I'm hitting lv50 chars, should I mostly focus on building one badass party without worrying too much about synergies, or should I work at keeping all of my dudes around the same level?

Finally, I have 5 soul of heroes from the login event - is there anyone in particular I should grab (maybe they won't have a release coming up for a long time or something) or is it again purely based on getting a great gacha drop and then buying the char to use it with?

E: Forgot to post my recent gachas, since that's fun to do. I forgot to grab one of the phase 2s but I did one p3 and one p4.

p4:

p3:

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 2, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Still a cute newbie, coming back with a few more questions. I have one party at lv16 so I'm still way back at the beginning of the game. Sorry if this comes up a lot in 200 pages. I only saw the 1st point touched on in the OP.

What should I be doing with all my equipment and poo poo that I'm collecting? I've filled my inventory (or at least the one for armor/weapons) with a mix of whatever crap I get from leveling, login bonuses, and a few gacha pulls. So I have a decent collection of 5-6 star items but a lot of dupes of 1-3 stars also. Should I just vendor everything under a certain star level? I know some games will drop loot at the highest rarity level I've had, so it would be advantageous to upgrade stuff to 3* so all future drops are base 3*. Is that the case here?

My party consists of the first 5 chars I unlocked (the PC, WHM, BLM, Cloud, and Kain). Am I right in understanding that I should pretty much use whoever I have the best gear for as long as I keep the 3dps, 1 heal, 1 support mix? At least as a newbie until I'm hitting lv50 chars, should I mostly focus on building one badass party without worrying too much about synergies, or should I work at keeping all of my dudes around the same level?

Finally, I have 5 soul of heroes from the login event - is there anyone in particular I should grab (maybe they won't have a release coming up for a long time or something) or is it again purely based on getting a great gacha drop and then buying the char to use it with?

E: Forgot to post my recent gachas, since that's fun to do. I forgot to grab one of the phase 2s but I did one p3 and one p4.

p3:

p4:

Your p3 and p4 are mixed up, and are also good pulls.

Use Souls of Heroes on characters with Soul Breaks that you don't have. But don't use them if you could recruit that character soon. For example, you just pulled Bartz's Apocalpyse, and you could recruit him right now by doing one of the early stages of the current Dorgann event. Check http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/events/ for a list of future events and what characters they have coming down the pipeline.

Relic draws will ALWAYS get you 3* and higher equipment. Combine them and upgrade them fully to improve your synergy, since it improves greatly every 5 levels that an equipment has. Don't throw away anything 3* or higher at the point you're at, you never know what could be useful. Keep in mind that you have a Vault where you can store equipment that you think you're not going to need frequently, to make room in your active inventory. The 1* equipment that drops from old trash mobs is generally pointless with the power creep we've had over the years.

Definitely focus on only a few characters to start, trying to balance the levels of the dozens and dozens of playables is something only reserved for people with way too much time on their hands, like me. Try and replace the Core White Mage and Black Mage as soon as you can; you should have Rydia already, and she's way better than Black Mage. I may say use a Soul of a Hero on Arc, but you can recruit him naturally in the main dungeons at some point, so that's your call. Good luck to you!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Alxprit posted:

Your p3 and p4 are mixed up, and are also good pulls.

Use Souls of Heroes on characters with Soul Breaks that you don't have. But don't use them if you could recruit that character soon. For example, you just pulled Bartz's Apocalpyse, and you could recruit him right now by doing one of the early stages of the current Dorgann event. Check http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/events/ for a list of future events and what characters they have coming down the pipeline.

Relic draws will ALWAYS get you 3* and higher equipment. Combine them and upgrade them fully to improve your synergy, since it improves greatly every 5 levels that an equipment has. Don't throw away anything 3* or higher at the point you're at, you never know what could be useful. Keep in mind that you have a Vault where you can store equipment that you think you're not going to need frequently, to make room in your active inventory. The 1* equipment that drops from old trash mobs is generally pointless with the power creep we've had over the years.

Definitely focus on only a few characters to start, trying to balance the levels of the dozens and dozens of playables is something only reserved for people with way too much time on their hands, like me. Try and replace the Core White Mage and Black Mage as soon as you can; you should have Rydia already, and she's way better than Black Mage. I may say use a Soul of a Hero on Arc, but you can recruit him naturally in the main dungeons at some point, so that's your call. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I should hold off using a soul to recruit anyone new right now. I'll see if I can post a screenshot of just my good equipment to get advice on party comp right now that should serve well up through my first set of 50s. I should try to get just one team to 50 and then work on selecting individual chars to boost / level break higher as needed for harder content and events, right?

I'll trash everything 1-2* and not bother trying to upgrade those. When you say combine+upgrade to improve synergy, do you mean that the boost I get from using an item that matches a game will improve even more as I level up the item?

I haven't even tested the vault yet, I assumed there was some cost involved. It's basically just an extra inventory that I can't equip from directly? Once I'm set with a party I'll just dump everything else in there.

E: If anyone wants to give advice on what, if any, party I should go for with the few good things I have...

Unlocked dudes:

Weapons:

Armor:

Accessories:

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 2, 2017

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I would definitely look to get Arc and Bartz as part of your lineup. An instant medica (party heal), Bartz with his OSB and cloak, and a RW will carry you really, really far.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

I'm bad at recognizing relics by picture but if that X Sword is Auron's you should get him - IIRC he can drawtaliate which is super useful for low-level play.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm bad at recognizing relics by picture but if that X Sword is Auron's you should get him - IIRC he can drawtaliate which is super useful for low-level play.

It's a Jecht weapon.

You also have Terra's Overstrike there, it seems. You should recruit her too as a de-facto Black Mage with that on her side.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Use a soul on Arc and Terra, and get Bartz from the event for sure. You'll get a lot of mileage out of Word of Kindness. Group heals are extremely valuable. Try to do as much of the event stuff as you can so you can unlock more characters and get some growth eggs. They'll help beef up your characters, so you can start doing some of the harder content. Being able to do higher difficulty content is pretty essential for getting more powerful.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Man power creep is hilarious, I thoroughly melted Rubicante with Tidus, Rinoa, and Celes BSBs. At one point I realized it was easier melting him even with his cloak up. gently caress you and your stupid gimmick.

The multiplayer boss was easy too, I carried a terrible sub-80's party through the ultimate with Minfilia and Alphinaud.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Richard M Nixon posted:

p4:

p3:

To do list:

1: Put Bartz in your team, give him the sword/cloak you pulled.
2. Get Terra when you can, give her the blood sword. Kick the black mage for her.
3. Give Kain's sword to Cloud, unless you like Kain more.
4. Craft lifesiphon for Bartz if you get a chance, since you can use it to fill his SB gauge quickly.
5. Use OSBs to one/two shot dozens if not hundreds of bosses.
6. Kick the white mage, Tyro's able to heal as wel as them and he's not made of papper. Core characters are filler trash and nothing more.,
6. Drop Tyro for Arc once you can get him, since his cloak's SSB will give you a solid AOE heal and Arc's a better healer in general.

Getting your party layout to be Bartz/Terra/Arc with the last two spots filled by whomever. Maybe Steiner since you have his armor but I'd give him less priority than Terra and Arc when you spend hero souls.

Getting rid of Black/White mages for Terra/Arc is a definite must though. And kicking someone for Butz to join the party with his OSB and SB gear.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for all the advice, goons. I'm not super great at metagame manipulation so I appreciate the simplification. I can sperg out once I've made it further into the game - this info should carry me a long way at at the low level place I'm at now.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 2, 2017

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Do the Torment dungeons and Cid's Missions cycle around like the mote dungeons do, or is this a one time thing for trying to finish the FF5 ones? My 5 synergy is good, including a Lenna medica, but I'm not sure I really have the set up and hones to be able to finish the whole thing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

Thanks for all the advice, goons. I'm not super great at metagame manipulation so I appreciate the simplification. I can sperg out once I've made it further into the game - this info should carry me a long way at at the low level place I'm at now.

Also since I didn't see you mention it and your party doesn't reflect their usage, the game has been throwing growth eggs around as login bonuses a lot. I would use a couple on Bartz, terra's, and arc at least.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Farm the orbfest for gold/xp/orbs if you haven't been doing so, and clear each level once if you can. The enemies are easier than normal so you might be able to go further than you expect, especially with the extra materials from the crafting stages and the levels your characters will gain while clearing said stages.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Combo posted:

Also since I didn't see you mention it and your party doesn't reflect their usage, the game has been throwing growth eggs around as login bonuses a lot. I would use a couple on Bartz, terra's, and arc at least.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Farm the orbfest for gold/xp/orbs if you haven't been doing so, and clear each level once if you can. The enemies are easier than normal so you might be able to go further than you expect, especially with the extra materials from the crafting stages and the levels your characters will gain while clearing said stages.

Would it be better to use some of my level eggs to boost the core barta/terra/arc/?/? party higher right away or just keep grinding. I've cleared maybe 10-15 story dungeons so far and I can't get past the first 2-3 event dungeons with a low level party. I figure that I can just boost up and smash through a bunch of them with ease but I don't know if I should treat leveling eggs as super precious commodities.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Weapons:

Armor:

Those 4* daggers can be super useful, I'd start combining them. Also toss the ffii shield and combine the ffx arm guards. There are some 4* equipment that approach 5* level with synergy when they're fully combined and reforged. Your 4* daggers are fantastic as anyone can use them.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I would boost up terra, arc, and Bartz for now. It looked in one of your pictures like you had Auron's sword, but an ffx event is on the way so you can probably hold out until then.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pulled a thyrus and two wizard's gloves from XIV. Having a native wall feels so strange after all this time. I'm also hyped for the new ninja spell for Yuffie to have fun with.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I'd actually argue that Steiner would be worth getting after Arc (since you have Terra and Bartz already) because his Tin Armor gives him an imperil fire effect (that's what the "temporarily lowers their fire resistance" means).

Imperil effects are debuffs that make a boss weak to a certain element (fire in this case), which increases the damage done by your guys using the same element. Hitting weakness also fills your SB bar faster, so you want to be hitting weaknesses as often as you can. Terra's Overstrike ability is fire based and Bartz' Overstrike can hit for four elements with fire included, so if you used Steiner's imperil effect first, they'd do even more damage.

This doesn't work on all bosses, but for ones that doesn't have a weakness, you can use imperil to make one.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice he had Steiner's armor. He's a good solid spellblade and knight, plus the armor soulbreak is very nice, definitely get him too.

A team of Bartz, Terra, Arc, Steiner, and Auron is a decent start. No support in there but you probably aren't going to have the orbs for breakdowns for a while.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone have a full size image of the current chocobo login screen? :3:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Tyro's OSB is...bad. There's no mincing words about it, it's really bad. It's one of the worst OSBs in the game. In addition to Tyro's lowish base ATK, it has a lower modifier than the rest of them, and no element, so it'll have trouble breaking 10k even with buffs.

At least it has really good base stats? Y'know... for those times when you want to run Tyro or OK through the Monday dungeon, lol.

Tyro's been the opposite of most everyone else when it comes to SBs, with his first one being overtly powerful and every new one being more and more disappointing. I wish they'd just made the OSB a Wall + the extra attack. Even as weak as it is, it'd be SOMETHING to slightly outclass the SG finally.

Still... another +10 ATK for my Wall user, yayyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
none of those chocobos are alive...

• Locked thread