Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

botany posted:

Advocating for the Right of Return is not the same thing as "relitigating 1948"

I think it is, and this was in the context of the post I was responding too. Anti-Zionists aren't narrowly focusing on eliminating settlements. If they were, they'd have significantly more support. That's the position of John Kerry and other advocates of a two state solution. Any deviance, whether you're anti-Zionist and want a binational state, or you're Bennett and want to annex the settlements, is relitigating 1948.

SyHopeful posted:

Yes, this will be the time your attempts to use doublespeak and other basic propaganda techniques will win you rhetorical points.

Do you actually have an argument?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Do you?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think it is, and this was in the context of the post I was responding too. Anti-Zionists aren't narrowly focusing on eliminating settlements. If they were, they'd have significantly more support. That's the position of John Kerry and other advocates of a two state solution. Any deviance, whether you're anti-Zionist and want a binational state, or you're Bennett and want to annex the settlements, is relitigating 1948.

Do you actually have an argument?

Yes: you're a lying sack of poo poo who needs to twist meanings and muddle commonly understood definitions to even remotely come close to having a valid point that ends up being paper-thin anyway. This is nothing new, yet you keep at it anyway. Your dedication to these lovely transparent tactics throughout the years is about the only thing you do worthy of admiration.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please stop posting about posters.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Please remove the ones posting in bad faith.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How about instead of me doing that, KJI explains why Right of Return is relitigating 1948. RoR seems to base itself on resolutions as recent as UNSC Resolution 247 (1967) and UNGA Resolution 169 (1980). (according to this discussion under the entry for UNGA Resolution 194 (1948).)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Please remind me what relitigating 1948 means. Also Relitigating isn't a word according to spell check so that's kind of fishy.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Relitigating is a word, but I'm not sure how you could relitigate 1948 given that it wasn't really decided according to law in the first place. It was done via a war with the support of major powers from outside the region.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How about instead of me doing that, KJI explains why Right of Return is relitigating 1948. RoR seems to base itself on resolutions as recent as UNSC Resolution 247 (1967) and UNGA Resolution 169 (1980). (according to this discussion under the entry for UNGA Resolution 194 (1948).)

It's not at all central to the argument I was making (which is that a significant portion of anti-Zionists are in fact much more focused on one state and the right of return than settlements), but sure. The results of 1948 were a fully distinct separation of two entities. Any attempt then to institute one state is contrary to the status quo since then that has served as the basis for the international consensus for a two state solution. Would you argue that Palestinians are being compelled to negotiate under duress? Because arguing that Israel, as currently constituted, has to cease to exist surely is a similar threat regardless of whether or not you agree with the outcome. If you read Mondoweiss or anything similar, this is precisely what they argue - their position is Zionism and Israel must cease to exist.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think Palestinian right of return within Israel is dumb as gently caress personally because you know it would drive the Israeli right insane and would result in all kinds of trouble even if the government let it happen. However, it's a perfectly good idea from an abstract humanitarian ideal. It's not an end to Israel for a bunch of people to be able to return to the land they used to live in. Even if you're all "hey that land was annexed and it's Israeli now!" then okay, but that means the Israeli state controls it and the people living there are under the authority of said state, not that the people who used to live there can't live there anymore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not at all central to the argument I was making (which is that a significant portion of anti-Zionists are in fact much more focused on one state and the right of return than settlements), but sure. The results of 1948 were a fully distinct separation of two entities. Any attempt then to institute one state is contrary to the status quo since then that has served as the basis for the international consensus for a two state solution. Would you argue that Palestinians are being compelled to negotiate under duress? Because arguing that Israel, as currently constituted, has to cease to exist surely is a similar threat regardless of whether or not you agree with the outcome. If you read Mondoweiss or anything similar, this is precisely what they argue - their position is Zionism and Israel must cease to exist.

I'm having a hard time understanding who you're talking about here. Palestinians? BDS specificaly? Mondoweiss (which is a commentary website rather than a political movement)? Where, for example, in the BDS list of demands, is there the dissolution of Israel?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could be making a philosophical argument like if you cut off your arm you're not really in the same form as you were a few minutes ago and if that's the case then sure, Israel in the form of an apartheid state can gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Even if you think that it is relitigating 1948, why is that a bad thing? The current situation has made the resolution for almost 70 years ago unrealistic, let's take a different approach. Unless you want to argue that rules and laws shouldn't be changed once they're made?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Right of Return is a human right that has nothing to do with 1948. Israel doesn't change if some Palestinians move back, any more than it changes if some people die and others are born. The Right of Return doesn't impact the statehood of Israel at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Higsian posted:

I think Palestinian right of return within Israel is dumb as gently caress personally because you know it would drive the Israeli right insane and would result in all kinds of trouble even if the government let it happen. However, it's a perfectly good idea from an abstract humanitarian ideal.

Yes, when faced with the choice between mollycoddling racist fascists and doing the morally right thing, sane and responsible governments should always go with the option that appeases the neonazis.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The Israeli government is neither sane nor responsible currently.

If Palestinians want a right of return then they can argue for it all they want. I never said it shouldn't happen, just that it is dumb as gently caress. I'd rather stay wherever the hell I'd landed than go to Israel as a returning Palestinian refugee, and I'll continue to think those that do want to return are crazy.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm having a hard time understanding who you're talking about here. Palestinians? BDS specificaly? Mondoweiss (which is a commentary website rather than a political movement)? Where, for example, in the BDS list of demands, is there the dissolution of Israel?

It goes back to the original point I was responding to, about the anti-Zionist movement being motivated by a one state solution and the right of return.

Miftan posted:

Even if you think that it is relitigating 1948, why is that a bad thing? The current situation has made the resolution for almost 70 years ago unrealistic, let's take a different approach. Unless you want to argue that rules and laws shouldn't be changed once they're made?

I believe in the two state solution, and think John Kerry's statement was mostly correct although he made some mistakes. "X hasn't worked (even though we're not actually doing X, we're doing Y), so let's do Z" is the kind of logic that got Trump elected. I think abandoning the two state solution, in addition to being unlikely to succeed, is likely to create a gigantic amount of human suffering and misery.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

It goes back to the original point I was responding to, about the anti-Zionist movement being motivated by a one state solution and the right of return.

You first raised relitigation in response to:

PT6A posted:

It's fascinating how successfully the Israeli right-wing has managed to conflate opposition to its polices to opposition to Israel itself, and any opposition to Israeli policies for any reason, as anti-Semitism.

Like so:

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's a wide anti-Zionist movement that is indeed advocating against Israel period instead of the current government. BDS, for instance, has a central tenet of relitigating 1948.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

There is already a massive amount of human suffering and misery. A one state solution will definitely result in an uptick, but may force a much quicker resolution. Right now it's looking like Israel will never accept a two state solution. At least this way the human suffering and misery will be spread out more evenly, and will stop the slow death that gaza is experiencing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

It's kind of hard to flee a city under siege.

I take "in part" to mean that if you tried to kill every Arab in the US you couldn't say "but there are still Arabs elsewhere in the world!" You're defining it down in a way that seems absurd. If they had a removal policy for Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza or Israel proper I'd see where you're coming from, but moving people away from settlements is colonization, not genocide.

To play devil's advocate (against the pro-genocide argument), using that definition you could technically say that Dylann Roof was committing genocide because he killed some black Americans and presumably had the desire to kill or drive away all black people. Obviously this is an extreme twisting of the definition, but I think you start to run into some problems conveying meaning if you ignore both scale and outcome. Also, the Israeli government has plausible deniability with regards to intent (even though it's clear they definitely would prefer that the Palestinians disappear in the long term).

My own feeling is that "genocide" is technically accurate but is generally perceived by people as meaning "killed a significant portion of an ethnic group as part of a plan to kill all of them (in a particular area)", so "ethnic cleansing" is better because it avoids arguments like this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Can a charge of genocide apply to non-state actors? And if so, what are useful examples of historical occurrences of such?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Can a charge of genocide apply to non-state actors? And if so, what are useful examples of historical occurrences of such?

Sure, the privately run Congo Free State owned by Leopold II of Belgium.

You could argue that Congo was itself a state actor and that Leopold didn't single-handedly decimate the African population, but he bears responsibility for its founding (as an individual, not part of Belgium) and it was land acquired and then exploited for his personal benefit.

Definitely an edge case but one could see, say, a private military company in the near future doing much the same.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 3, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As for the actual argument:

- Israel's current conduct counts as ethnic discrimination/oppression; arguably a case could be made for ethnic cleansing due to refusing to allow any Palestinian construction over a period of decades causing overcrowding and misery to 'encourage' people to self-deport.

- Israel's proposed solutions by the right (annexation of Area C, "autonomy" for Areas A/B) is the literal historical definition of apartheid complete with homelands ("I, I, I, ain't gonna play Jenin City") but is still not ethnic cleansing since most right-wingers who propose this have no problem with granting the 100,000 or so Palestinians in Area C voting rights as part of annexation - just as long as the 3m or so Palestinians in Areas A/B do not.

- Explicit calls for ethnic cleansing are still limited to the very extreme right (Moshe Feiglin being the most quotable spokesman for that, and he was run out of Likud for being too extremist)

- You have to get pretty far in the crazy scale (settler rabbis, hilltop youth, etc) before you start getting to genocidal rhetoric.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The graft investigation of Bibi has been upgraded to a criminal investigation and it doesn't sound like he may escape this one. He has been investigated several other times for similar issues with travel and gifts but nothing has stuck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/w...v=top-news&_r=0

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What happens to the Israeli right if Bibi goes down? I'm assuming not much in the long term.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

What happens to the Israeli right if Bibi goes down? I'm assuming not much in the long term.

A lot of petty political infighting between rival parties within the right wing coalition. It could make it difficult to form a ruling coalition after the next elections, since they already have the slimmest of a majority. Eventually, it'd probably end with a right wing government, so not much would change, but it has the potential to be a hilarious spectacle.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Was Obama's abstention from the UN vote really as much of a game changer as everyone seems to say it was? It's not exactly unprecedented and his actions weren't even as harsh as past GOP presidents.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Necroskowitz posted:

Was Obama's abstention from the UN vote really as much of a game changer as everyone seems to say it was? It's not exactly unprecedented and his actions weren't even as harsh as past GOP presidents.

That's pretty much the MO of the Israeli government in international diplomacy. First, something probably insiginficant happens, like a resolution on something or another. This is followed by a complete outrage by the Israeli Foreign Ministry and the PM's office who are dead set on making sure that the insignificant issue becomes a talking-point and a matter of great contention. All the media outlets in the West plays along because sensationalism and controvercy sells, and the Israeli government knows how to be sensational and controversial. Suddenly the goalposts have shrunk and proper discussion stifled.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Elor Azaria has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Just to point out he's not likely to be further punished beyond the house arrest he's already been serving for the past 10 months.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Elor Azaria has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Just to point out he's not likely to be further punished beyond the house arrest he's already been serving for the past 10 months.

At least he was found guilty. I imagine the right is having a meltdown.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

At least he was found guilty. I imagine the right is having a meltdown.

Even the right-wing politicians are melting down. No less than four current cabinet ministers (Naftali Bennett, Miri Regev, Aryeh Deri, Yisrael Katz) have publicly called for him to be pardoned, with several of them claiming that the trial itself was unfair or tainted. Liberman has openly stated that he doesn't like the verdict. Right-wing protesters outside the courthouse chanted "Gadi beware, Rabin's looking for a friend" - referring to Gadi Eisenkot, the IDF Chief of Staff, and Yitzhak Rabin, the former prime minister who was assassinated by a member of the far-right.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Some meltdowns in the Washington Post:

quote:

12:50 p.m.

An Israeli military court has thrown out a relative of Sgt. Elor Azaria, while a second relative stormed out of the court after his manslaughter conviction over the killing of a wounded Palestinian attacker.

A young woman called the verdict a disgrace and screamed “the Israeli military is over!” before she was thrown out of the courtroom. Another woman screamed “disgusting leftists!” and stormed out.

Azaria sat emotionless as the verdict was delivered.

He is expected to be sentenced in several weeks.

1:00 p.m.

Israel’s defense minister says the conviction of an Israeli soldier on manslaughter charges over the shooting death of an incapacitated Palestinian attacker is “difficult” and that he disagrees with the verdict, but called on the public to respect the court’s decision.

Avigdor Lieberman told reporters after Wednesday’s ruling that “despite the difficult verdict, the defense establishment will do everything it can to assist the soldier and his family.”

He disparaged criticism of the military, saying, “We must keep the army outside every political argument...and keep it in the widest consensus in Israeli society.”

The verdict caps a nine-month saga that has deeply divided the country. Defense officials have criticized Sgt. Elor Azaria’s conduct, while large segments of the Israeli public, along with members of the nationalist ruling coalition, have rallied behind him.

1:40 p.m.

A spokesman for the family of the Israeli soldier convicted of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an incapacitated Palestinian attacker says the court ignored evidence indicating the soldier was innocent.

Sharon Gal, family spokesman and former lawmaker, told reporters, “It was like the court was detached from the fact that this was the area of an attack. I felt that the court picked up the knife from the ground and stabbed it in the back of all the soldiers.”

Sgt. Elor Azaria was convicted of fatally shooting a Palestinian involved in the stabbing of a soldier, even though the Palestinian had already been shot and incapacitated by troops.

The soldier’s defense team said it would appeal the verdict.

3:30 p.m.

A hawkish member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition is calling for an “immediate pardon” for the Israeli soldier that killed a wounded Palestinian assailant.

Naftali Bennett, leader of the Jewish Home party, posted on Facebook: “Today a soldier who killed a terrorist who deserved to die, who had tried to slaughter a soldier, was put in handcuffs and convicted like a criminal.”

4:55 p.m.

The office of Israel’s president says it will consider a pardon for Sgt. Elor Azaria at the appropriate time, but that a decision is a long way off.

In a statement, President Reuven Rivlin’s office said on Wednesday that a pardon request would be weighed only “following a conclusive judicial ruling.” With Azaria still facing sentencing and an appeals process, that means the matter may not come before the president for some time.

The statement gave no indication whether Rivlin would support a pardon. It says that if a request is made, the president will consider it “in accordance with standard practices and after recommendations from the relevant authorities.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.5a4506f3b287

Also, sentencing will be on January 15th. The article notes the maximum sentence is 20 years, but "analysts expect him to receive less than that." Are those feelings warranted? While I'm not familiar with the Israeli legal system, the judge seemed to go out of the way to issue point-by-point rebuttals to every single defense and potential mitigating factor in the case.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Edit: I'm dumb and poo poo.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 4, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He will be sentenced to 15 months or so, of which he will already have served 11 under house arrest, then he'll get a third deducted for good behavior (it's easy to be a model prisoner when you were never imprisoned and as far as I know he didn't get the opportunity to execute more prisoners of war in the interim). He is not going to spend one day in prison.

Perhaps some of his sentence will be converted to public service as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Main Paineframe posted:

Even the right-wing politicians are melting down. No less than four current cabinet ministers (Naftali Bennett, Miri Regev, Aryeh Deri, Yisrael Katz) have publicly called for him to be pardoned, with several of them claiming that the trial itself was unfair or tainted.
Ditto Shelly:
https://www.facebook.com/ShellyYachimovich/posts/10155123977109218:0

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

William Bear posted:

Some meltdowns in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.5a4506f3b287

Also, sentencing will be on January 15th. The article notes the maximum sentence is 20 years, but "analysts expect him to receive less than that." Are those feelings warranted? While I'm not familiar with the Israeli legal system, the judge seemed to go out of the way to issue point-by-point rebuttals to every single defense and potential mitigating factor in the case.

Getting the maximum sentence is incredibly unlikely, but I don't think anyone knows beyond that. The thing to keep in mind is that this isn't the Israeli justice system, it's the Israeli military justice system, and there's a lot of political ramifications too since Azariya has a lot of sympathizers. The fact that he was even prosecuted at all was unusual (usually there would be a cover-up), so there isn't much precedent to look back on as a guide. Personally, I think he'll get a couple of years in addition to what he's already served - they didn't go to all the trouble of having this trial just to give him a slap on the wrist, but throwing the book at him increases the risk of political intervention. Since the legitimacy of the IDF itself is on the line here, they'll avoid extremely low or extremely high sentences and give him something that's low-ish but just high enough to not be perceived as a free pass.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

gently caress Elor to death with a mule on live israeli television on all channels for a full 24 hours imo.

You seem normal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Edit: Same as post slightly higher upthread.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

More normal to be making a really crude joke than being a shitbag that's executing restrained people really.

Congratulations for not being as bad as a convicted murderer.