Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Bring back Farscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Maldoror posted:

Bring back Farscape

Bring back Claudia Black.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Can
I get a hell yeah

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Actually in In that lovely green-screened prequel DTV movie they did they showed the Galactica with all of it's armour in place and extra gun emplacements

Huh. I stand corrected, then.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Bring back Claudia Black.

She never left she just does a lot of voice acting now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Depending on how it's built and a ton of other factors a ship could absolute "take a nuke." There's no shockwave in space, so you're just dealing with the heat/radiation. If your hull can absorb that heat it's going to be ok. The main problem will of course be the crew cooking long before the ship is physically destroyed. If you want to destroy the ship you want something with a lot more armor penetration, something like a "bunker buster" or a railgun or a nuke set to go off as the 2nd phase after some sort of shaped charge helps blast a hole through the hull.

Also a smooth outer hull actually has advantages. If you're trading projectile weapon shots at each other, just like with tanks, angled armour can turn a penetrating hit into a deflected hit, while things like ribs would create bullet traps which you don't want. You want poo poo to hit at an angle and glance off, which would actually give a functional reason for more sleek ships.

The Pegasus is rib-free and a hell of a lot nastier than the Galactica, firepower-wise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Maldoror posted:

Bring back Farscape

Set and character design at its absolute peak. The answer is that the new Star Trek series needs the designs to be done by the Jim Henson creature workshop.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
ive been subjecting myself to having voyager on while i do stuff, and chakotay is my spirit animal

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

naem posted:

Vulcans are fun

Is Enterprise supposed to make me hate the Vulcans? I always liked them, but Enterprise is making me hate the Vulcans.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

vortmax posted:

Is Enterprise supposed to make me hate the Vulcans? I always liked them, but Enterprise is making me hate the Vulcans.

They have a revolution mid series and stop being jerks

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hakimashou posted:

ive been subjecting myself to having voyager on while i do stuff, and chakotay is my spirit animal

Robert Beltran on the series finale - "This is what we're going out with?"

Robert Beltran on his scripts - "I wouldn't say I had a bitter taste about the show, but it makes me a lot less caring about the show when the writers don't seem to care about all the cast. When that happens, I check out right away and give as little as possible emotional involvement as I can. So I would have to say, honestly, that for probably the last two or two and a half years, I haven't quite read a full Voyager script. It's not necessary, because I already know what's going to happen. I don't want to put myself to the aggravation."

Robert Beltran on his character - "Although they come up with a scene here or there that's tolerable, I think the character has not progressed since season four. In fact, he may even have regressed a little."

naem
May 29, 2011

vortmax posted:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

vortmax gay, so what?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

hakimashou posted:

I think his character background with the rubber people was a bit of a stretch

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

what's the best episode of voyager? Is it the one where tuvok gets marooned with the alien children who are actually old people from a race who ages backwards? Or is it the one where Tom Paris needs to explain to someone who the nazis were?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mortal Coil;

Seven brings Neelix back from the dead, after watching Janeway think very hard about whether they should bother trying, and he goes on a vision quest after learning there is no afterlife to try and cope. His own mind insists he kill himself immediately, providing definitive proof that even Neelix hates Neelix.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Yo, so what I don't get about this already sub-par show that I know nobody is actually talking about at this point other than the literal 24/7 marathon BBC America is doing is that it, a) wastes the poo poo out of its premise until you got some tittayz on display and basically leaned on the Borg for all the good plotlines, and b) goes back to that loving well on holodeck fantasies getting out of control that people just loving went over the moon for during TNG and just DOUBLES-loving-DOWN.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Huh. I stand corrected, then.

IIRC, her armor was being stripped because she was being turned into a museum ship and no longer needed it. Same reason the one hangar pod was unused and full of antiques in the early part of the show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Blistex posted:

Robert Beltran on the series finale - "This is what we're going out with?"

Robert Beltran on his scripts - "I wouldn't say I had a bitter taste about the show, but it makes me a lot less caring about the show when the writers don't seem to care about all the cast. When that happens, I check out right away and give as little as possible emotional involvement as I can. So I would have to say, honestly, that for probably the last two or two and a half years, I haven't quite read a full Voyager script. It's not necessary, because I already know what's going to happen. I don't want to put myself to the aggravation."

Robert Beltran on his character - "Although they come up with a scene here or there that's tolerable, I think the character has not progressed since season four. In fact, he may even have regressed a little."

where is this from

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Whoa bbca is airing Voyager all day it's nice when good shows get the airtime they deserve

naem
May 29, 2011

SamBishop posted:

Yo, so what I don't get about this already sub-par show that I know nobody is actually talking about at this point other than the literal 24/7 marathon BBC America is doing is that it, a) wastes the poo poo out of its premise until you got some tittayz on display and basically leaned on the Borg for all the good plotlines, and b) goes back to that loving well on holodeck fantasies getting out of control that people just loving went over the moon for during TNG and just DOUBLES-loving-DOWN.

Sums up the show perfectly

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC, her armor was being stripped because she was being turned into a museum ship and no longer needed it. Same reason the one hangar pod was unused and full of antiques in the early part of the show.

Seems strange that they would be stripping the armour off the hull. You don't want to go to visit the USS Missouri and see a bunch of exposed decks where the armour was. Did they actually come out and say that? It would sort of make sense I guess.

bloodychill posted:

where is this from

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/funstuff/beltran.php3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

Seems strange that they would be stripping the armour off the hull. You don't want to go to visit the USS Missouri and see a bunch of exposed decks where the armour was. Did they actually come out and say that? It would sort of make sense I guess.

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/funstuff/beltran.php3

Battlestars are a fair sight bigger than an aircraft carrier, and it's probably raw metal they could recycle into an actively-serving Battlestar that wasn't half-museum.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

criscodisco posted:

Whoa bbca is airing Voyager all day it's nice when good shows get the airtime they deserve

I agree, which makes it a shame they're airing Voyager instead of one of those shows.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Two days :unsmigghh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Strangely, the battlestar Columbia also had the part-armor-part-rib look during the Cylon war.

Ah well. Once again, we're probably putting more thought into this than the actual showrunners did.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

The captain isn't even british!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Powered Descent posted:

Strangely, the battlestar Columbia also had the part-armor-part-rib look during the Cylon war.

Ah well. Once again, we're probably putting more thought into this than the actual showrunners did.

Probably just re-using the CGI model for Galactica and assuming nobody will sperg out about this like we currently are.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
are you guys talking about that show where they used the ship footage from Space Mutiny

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
haha holy poo poo I just came across the applause track added to the Amazon streaming version of that voyager episode about the kazon alliances
Thank you whoever posted about it here

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

haha holy poo poo I just came across the applause track added to the Amazon streaming version of that voyager episode about the kazon alliances
Thank you whoever posted about it here

I hate that loving horn thing they use.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I just turned on bbc because I hate myself apparently.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

are you guys talking about that show where they used the ship footage from Space Mutiny

Everyone knows that Apollo and Starbuck were just cheap knockoffs of Slab Bulkhead.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Smash LampJaw

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Trunk SlamChest

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stump Chunkman

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Buff DrinkLots

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Somebody started a Galaxy Quest thread and I am cross posting my amazing find from Wikipedia. There's a section of Star Trek cast member's quotes about Galaxy Quest.

"I thought it was very funny, and I thought the audience that they portrayed was totally real, but the actors that they were pretending to be were totally unrecognizable. Certainly I don't know what Tim Allen was doing. He seemed to be the head of a group of actors, and for the life of me I was trying to understand who he was imitating. The only one I recognized was the girl playing Nichelle Nichols."
— William Shatner

"I was rolling in the aisles. Tim Allen had that Shatner-esque swagger down pat. And I roared when the shirt came off, and Sigourneyrolls her eyes and says, 'There goes that shirt again.' … How often did we hear that on the set? [Laughs.]"
— George Takei

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i recently finished the first half of The Fifty-Year Mission and as the book goes on and they talk about the movies, Walter Koenig increasingly sounds like that sad retrospective on Trailer Park Boys written by the guy who played Trevor. he sounds like he just didn't have fun on those movies at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I remember him getting a mindworm from Khan and of course "Nuclear wessels!" and... nothing else memorable?