Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Ooooh man Nier looks really good. Real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i stopped watching this LP around Christmas because i got the game as a gift from my uncle (who is also the person who introduced me to the franchise and took it from and took it from bland amalgamation to wonderfully detailed adventure), and i decided I'd play through it and see the ending for myself. I'll of course finish the LP, because it's wonderful, but i have to say now, watching the credits, this goddamn epilogue brought me to tears. Seriously.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Everything in that demo looks fantastic, except for the character interactions. I really couldn't care less about 2B and 9S, their dialogue was banal and bland, and in no way justified the drama in the climax, resulting in the entire thing feeling extremely forced and :rolleyes:-worthy. For human-like AIs/cyborgs, they acted more like what C-list actors think robots are like. Let's just use strangely out-of-place honorifics and occasionally intersperse dialogue with *beep boop no emotions allowed* lines, while still allowing an overdramatic singular sacrifice/rescue scene.

I'm holding out hope that all or most of this can be blamed on the constraints of a demo presentation. As i said, everything else seems fantastic. Let me especially fanboy over the fact that you can uninstall your own OS for a self-induced Game Over. Even if this function never sees any practical story use in the full game, it's the most Yoko Taro feature to put in the game, and i love it.

I mean, there was next to no character interaction IN the demo, so I didn't get the impression we were supposed to feel all that attached to the characters. That said, it was pretty obvious that 2B's "Emotions are forbidden" line was a facade, given that it was immediately followed up by what amounts to 'you can call me by my first name.' Like, the characters are passable for a hardened soldier/overeager newbie dynamic. They certainly didn't feel overly robotic, just formal because they're on a military mission.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm just in love with this Nier's setting and style. It's not even post-apocalypse because there doesn't even look to have been an apocalyptic event, it's just... derelict. Like everybody just left. Even some of the more fantastical parts of the setting are very grounded; the giant mech is composed of completely normal cranes, diggers and I think an oil rig. It's kind of weirdly Metal Gear-ish, in that even Yoji Shinkawa's most elaborate Metal Gear designs were still using a lot of modern military visual cues so most of them felt kind of reasonable.

Do we know if anybody in particular is doing the world/setting design? because I love them. I know Akihiko Yoshida (the Final Fantasy Tactics/Bravely Default guy) is doing the character design, but I really don't think he's the guy responsible for Constructicon here. Is that a common design aesthetic for the Drakengard/Nier series? I'm assuming not.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 2, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cleretic posted:

The Final Fantasy Tactics/Bravely Default guy) is doing the character design, but I really don't think he's the guy responsible for Constructicon here. Is that a common design aesthetic for the Drakengard/Nier series? I'm assuming not.

The original Nier was also, uh, derelict. It had some abandoned factories and whatnot, although not everything was like that. For example active human settlements were more primitive. The Drakengard series is more straight fantasy with castles and knights and stuff.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Nier had similar but not verly familer designs in it's robot level

Wdit what I'm saying is you could show me a random screenshot from this game to me in 2010 and I would start crying for recognising it as a Nier sequel immeditaly

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

all the little robot heads look like emile

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

AriadneThread posted:

all the little robot heads look like emile

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Why does it have teeth when it doesn't have a mouth?! :gonk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Probably just random mechanical bits that coincidentally resemble teeth.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Because they must scream.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Darn all the Nier talk on SA happens outside the Nier thread :11tea:

Cleretic posted:

I'm just in love with this Nier's setting and style. It's not even post-apocalypse because there doesn't even look to have been an apocalyptic event, it's just... derelict.

It's more of a "cataclysmic stuff happened but it was way long ago so it's just kinda quiet now" situation I'd say. Less Mad Max and more Life After People

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

edit: nvm

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's after Mad Max. The people in Nier are like the world after one of Drakengards apoclypses and are trying to put their poo poo back together and kinda have up and now mostly try to live off the land and not get murdered by monsters or robots or whatever. Dark Id did LPs of nier and Drakengard and you should read them.

Automata looks fun as balls though. Gonna have to download that when i get home so i can suck at it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Automata is like 3+ apocalypses down the line not even counting the Drakengard one that started it. How there's even something resembling current earth left is probably going to be one of the big mysteries.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Nier had similar but not verly familer designs in it's robot level

Wdit what I'm saying is you could show me a random screenshot from this game to me in 2010 and I would start crying for recognising it as a Nier sequel immeditaly
Any screenshot with the little bullets would give it away, yeah

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The first post-apocalypse novel has a surprising story behind it, and is briefly touched on in this episode about two other interesting stories.

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

Episode 17: A Look Back at ‘16
Happy New Year! Our New Year's special has two topics for you. First, Grant takes us back to 1816, the Year Without a Summer, to tell the story behind the story of Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. Next, Alaina pops into 1916 to share the foundations and highlights of Dada. How does a geological event on one small island shape all of Western culture? If art is created by war, can art go to war?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So fun fact: at the end of Episode 16, after the Drake brothers look through the big Avery telescope and see Scary Island, Nathan says that they can't get excited until they save Sam from Alcazar. Sam sighs and says, "ok..." before Nate cuts him off (then Rafes boats show up). The inflection sounded like Sam was gonna explain something... maybe he was about to come clean about the drug lord?

Edit: maybe not. When the Drake boys are arguing after they meet back up on Scary Island Sam declares they're buying his life back.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 3, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ManSedan posted:

So fun fact: at the end of Episode 16, after the Drake brothers look through the big Avery telescope and see Scary Island, Nathan says that they can't get excited until they save Sam from Alcazar. Sam sighs and says, "ok..." before Nate cuts him off (then Rafes boats show up). The inflection sounded like Sam was gonna explain something... maybe he was about to come clean about the drug lord?

Edit: maybe not. When the Drake boys are arguing after they meet back up on Scary Island Sam declares they're buying his life back.

I think it was more disappointment that Nate wasn't excited/treasure-hungry like he was to go out and find Avery's treasure. like Sam just wants Nate to be as into this as he is and doesn't understand that Nate is pretty much only along to save his brother's life because he's not Uncharted 3 anymore.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah. You can see this tension building up from the start of the boat chapter coming off the encounter with Elena. It's evident in Nate's facial expression right off the bat that he's really not enjoying himself, and Sam doesn't exactly understand it because, in reality, he doesn't have a noose around his neck and he takes that for granted, while Nathan is stressing out about his relationship with his wife while also feeling like he doesn't have a choice but to save Sam. So it's not surprising that Nate's relatively flat affect about something that should be insanely exciting began to grind against Sam's enjoyment. It's also why he asks Nathan how this adventure stacks up to the others - it's sort of like how you're watching a movie you really love with a friend who's just now experiencing it for the first time, and you're constantly glancing over to see if they're enjoying it.

That tension is a great buildup to the revelation that Samuel is actually not getting hounded down by a drug lord, but I'm a bit miffed that the writers felt the need to double up on the liar-reveal, especially in such quick succession, and also because Sam, when he comes to Nathan, has minimal reason to believe he wouldn't want to go adventuring together just for the fun of it. I suppose he may have been trying to hide the fact that he buddied up with Rafe for the early treasure-hunting, but I don't think that's nearly as convincing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah. You can see this tension building up from the start of the boat chapter coming off the encounter with Elena. It's evident in Nate's facial expression right off the bat that he's really not enjoying himself, and Sam doesn't exactly understand it because, in reality, he doesn't have a noose around his neck and he takes that for granted, while Nathan is stressing out about his relationship with his wife while also feeling like he doesn't have a choice but to save Sam. So it's not surprising that Nate's relatively flat affect about something that should be insanely exciting began to grind against Sam's enjoyment. It's also why he asks Nathan how this adventure stacks up to the others - it's sort of like how you're watching a movie you really love with a friend who's just now experiencing it for the first time, and you're constantly glancing over to see if they're enjoying it.

That tension is a great buildup to the revelation that Samuel is actually not getting hounded down by a drug lord, but I'm a bit miffed that the writers felt the need to double up on the liar-reveal, especially in such quick succession, and also because Sam, when he comes to Nathan, has minimal reason to believe he wouldn't want to go adventuring together just for the fun of it. I suppose he may have been trying to hide the fact that he buddied up with Rafe for the early treasure-hunting, but I don't think that's nearly as convincing.

I also feel like Sam literally can't comprehend Nate and Elena's relationship. He's been in prison for 15 years and wasn't exactly a model citizen with a wife and 2.5 kids when he got put in. Nate's managed to evolve past his life as a rogue treasure hunter and settle down with someone he truly loves, while Sam is still acting like they're a couple of twenty-somethings who steal whatever cool poo poo they want and are too cool to follow the rules.

It's an interesting dichotomy because Nate was Sam, essentially. They grew up in the same lifestyle and were seemingly inseparable until Sam's apparent death. Sam in 2015 is an example of how Nate would be if he was the one to end up in prison for 15 years instead.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have to wonder if Sam's original plan was just to feel Nate out on the treasure thing but had the Alcazar lie handy in case he seemed less than enthused.

it's also notable that he tells Nate not to worry about Elena because "anyone would come around" for that much treasure, when his original plan is banking on Nate forgiving him for the same reason after Nate finds out Sam lied, but hey we have Avery's treasure now so it's all good, right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The influence of Sully on Nate when it comes to "steal stuff good but not be a shitbag about it" can't be ignored.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Funky Valentine posted:

The influence of Sully on Nate when it comes to "steal stuff good but not be a shitbag about it" can't be ignored.

I feel this is well put.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They do bring up past disagreements between Sully and Sam, but we don't know what they were about, so there's a ton of things it could be.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sully wanted Chinese delivery so he could hit on the delivery girl while Sam wanted Pizza because it's as greasy as he is

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
In this episode, Nate finally finds what I believe to be Avery's true treasure.

Episode 20: CM.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
~friendship~

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh man, that first note was next to an old Singer sewing machine! They're common as muck so it's not more than a curiosity for its age, but man I'd recognize it anywhere.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nate seeing Evelyn dying made him realize he was an avatar of death and destruction.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sam gets out of the horrors of two weeks in Colombian jail and finds that his little brother got adopted by a cigar box in human form.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I'd love to see Sam running around with his own army of street urchins, picking the pockets of everyone they see. I bet Nate would be the second-in-command.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

In this episode, Nate finally finds what I believe to be Avery's true treasure.

Episode 20: CM.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

A] Thank you for NOT posting this right before I left for work. And
B] Uncharted 4 showed up on this Censored Gaming list - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDVvqv93CM, which I saw as suggested after the LP.

Also, I know nothing about Uncharted, but, all your talk about supernatural aspects is making me think that Nate is some kind of Loot Revenant.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 5, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good thing they changed their surnames, because otherwise their obsession with pirate gold would have everyone cracking jokes about rum.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sam gets out of the horrors of two weeks in Colombian jail and finds that his little brother got adopted by a cigar box in human form.

The best boy by any other name

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"we're two orphans in a city, the only person who knew anything about us is dead, and we didn't steal anything from there that they could watch pawnshops for. Better go on the run so they don't find us."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bruceski posted:

"we're two orphans in a city, the only person who knew anything about us is dead, and we didn't steal anything from there that they could watch pawnshops for. Better go on the run so they don't find us."

Yeah this story is hilariously dumb. As the World Turns for gamers.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

When the name "Eddie" popped up I was half expecting the game to imply the Drakes (Morgans?) were breaking into Eddy Raja's childhood home. (Glad they didn't go that route obviously)

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was actually kind of digging this entire chapter despite not really being into this exploration based stuff in general but the entire "lol i'm gonna drop dead now" thing really takes a shine off the whole thing. It was a chill chapter where they find out about mom and an old friend set them on their way, it doesn't need a dramatic end, it works as a motivation piece without it. And people say ND are the only people who can write good games.

Oh and then they get betrayed by the magic handholds of convenient breaking suddenly. Shameful. Also stop saying Nathan's name in earshot of the cops when you're on the run Sam.

and I hope Nate was a bit more vague and evasive about the bit where he left an old woman to die to his wife.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Seriously this was a chill chapter that just had the dumbest conclusion.

• Locked thread