Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Meanwhile Denuvo says those people are full of it so :iiam: I don't put games on my SSD anyway because it isn't big enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I thought the Denuvo thing was debunked?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Much like all games DRM it's short sighted and poorly designed

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I thought the Denuvo thing was debunked?

Like Len said, the guys who make Denuvo will obviously say it's not the case, but I mean they're obviously gonna say that either way because that's their stock.

Though admittedly it's not like a critical "WILL gently caress your poo poo up ASAP" problem, it's just a known issue with it being what it is and doing what it does.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well gently caress, time to see if I own any Denuvo titles.

Yeah this is a throughly debunked myth but pirates keep spreading it around for obvious reasons

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

If it was that bad we'd have seen it on every gaming news site until they stopped using it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Perhaps this thread is the most horrifying game of all...?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

I definitely see the justification when a company like CDPR goes far out of their way to be fair and The Witcher 3 is still the most pirated game of the year. It's a peace of mind thing. The logic is the same as "locks only keep honest people honest." A criminal will break your lock if they want your stuff but you're not going to leave your door unlocked.

True, although I think Witcher 3 being widely pirated is less to do with DRM and more to do with Witcher 3 being a stupidly good game that everyone wants to play.

Most effective DRM is to make a really lovely game. Then the usual pirates who wouldn't have bought your game anyway won't pirate it because no one wants to play it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
GOG manages to be excellent without any DRM

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Improbable Lobster posted:

GOG manages to be excellent without any DRM

and like every single gog release is the top on any torrent site

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ranma Fan Art posted:

And those pirates wouldn't be buying the games legitimately anyway

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Improbable Lobster posted:

And those pirates wouldn't be buying the games legitimately anyway

This. There info out there that DRM/Denuvo has had little to no effect of sales. The people who were going to buy it, buy it. The people who pirate it, were never going to buy it in any case.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ranma Fan Art posted:

And yet they still make plenty, while at the same time not inconveniencing customers. (Always-online and similar bullshit meant there)

Kokoro Wish posted:

This. There info out there that DRM/Denuvo has had little to no effect of sales. The people who were going to buy it, buy it. The people who pirate it, were never going to buy it in any case.

It's anecdotal because it's obviously just here and there or depending on whatever, but hell, some people even pirate games then buy them later.

You can call it whatever you want or claim it's this or that, but even a lot/most of the big crack groups and stuff always have a "If you enjoy this game, buy it some time too and support the people making it!" note in their releases too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 1, 2017

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hell I pirated Downwell at first and now I've purchased it on 3 different devices.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only thing that matters to a multi-million dollar organization is what's on paper, more so if they're publically traded because they make their money by appeasing people who have money. If a paltry sum cuts a percentage of undesirables from downloading your stuff you take it.

GOG benefits CDP as a distributor. The whole DRM free is advertising and CDP doesn't behold themselves to the same standard when they require you to register your disc copy to download patches. Because they loving know their home region is filled with piracy, that majority of them still buy physical, and CDP has pretty aggressive tactics at home.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yardbomb posted:

Like Len said, the guys who make Denuvo will obviously say it's not the case, but I mean they're obviously gonna say that either way because that's their stock.

Though admittedly it's not like a critical "WILL gently caress your poo poo up ASAP" problem, it's just a known issue with it being what it is and doing what it does.

This is still making the rounds? I thought I was the last one to wisen up about this. :v:
People literally measured what denuvo was doing to their drives and they noticed gently caress all. It may be pointless but it isn't doing this at all.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 1, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lords of the Fallen was the first Denuvo game. Lords of the Fallen hosed up SSDs. This was because of how Lords of the Fallen was coded and how it implemented Denuvo, not Denuvo itself. I hate DRM too but most of this comes from flag-shipping on a game so bad that it kills your computer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Lords of the Fallen was the first Denuvo game. Lords of the Fallen hosed up SSDs. This was because of how Lords of the Fallen was coded and how it implemented Denuvo, not Denuvo itself. I hate DRM too but most of this comes from flag-shipping on a game so bad that it kills your computer.

Yeah but nerds. They're the absolute worst when it comes to reviewing things with DRM. Remember when Spore released and it got poo poo on all over in the Amazon comments not because it was a mediocre game that wasn't anything like what people hoped but because it had always on DRM? Nerds just cannot prioritize.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Always-online can really burn in hell though. Woops split second hiccup in your internet, better hope the game saved at any point recently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Idea for horror game: pirate everything on the internet while avoiding the creepy thin guy in black who periodically checks over your shoulder.

Actually I vaguely remember a game where you're poo poo posting on the internet while looking at your door because a Guy Fawkes masked assailant could break into your room and murder you.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

al-azad posted:

Actually I vaguely remember a game where you're poo poo posting on the internet while looking at your door because a Guy Fawkes masked assailant could break into your room and murder you.

They made a game about the last 6 years of my marriage?!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

al-azad posted:

Idea for horror game: pirate everything on the internet while avoiding the creepy thin guy in black who periodically checks over your shoulder.

You can always play Welcome to the Game for that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

The only thing that matters to a multi-million dollar organization is what's on paper, more so if they're publically traded because they make their money by appeasing people who have money. If a paltry sum cuts a percentage of undesirables from downloading your stuff you take it.

GOG benefits CDP as a distributor. The whole DRM free is advertising and CDP doesn't behold themselves to the same standard when they require you to register your disc copy to download patches. Because they loving know their home region is filled with piracy, that majority of them still buy physical, and CDP has pretty aggressive tactics at home.

CDP started as a cracking group

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And they still use scene hacks uncredited in some of their games instead of doing it themselves

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Len posted:

Yeah but nerds. They're the absolute worst when it comes to reviewing things with DRM. Remember when Spore released and it got poo poo on all over in the Amazon comments not because it was a mediocre game that wasn't anything like what people hoped but because it had always on DRM? Nerds just cannot prioritize.
Umm dude always on DRM is straight up enough to make a game bad. It'd be like if a movie theater refused entry to anyone who came in a bus. Consistent internet connection is not something that can be relied on and requiring it is directly discriminatory to huge populations of people based on location or financial status. Like unless you're hoping to keep Canadians from getting their grubby hands on your precious games.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who gives a poo poo.

What are people's most anticipated 2017 horror games that aren't just scare cam bait? Apparently a new Call of cthulhu is releasing this year?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What is actually coming out this year other than Resi 7? I know there's a couple of indie things like Scorn and Agony but I dunno if they'll hit 2017.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Routine? Maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to see what Prey is going to be. They're talking about you and the enemies can transform into any object so they'll set up scenarios where you're constantly paranoid of the environment. But you can transform too so you can lay ambushes.

Sakurazuka posted:

What is actually coming out this year other than Resi 7? I know there's a couple of indie things like Scorn and Agony but I dunno if they'll hit 2017.

Frostpunk by 11bit, State of Decay 2, Get Even from the NecroVision devs looks like a Condemned/Outlast hybrid, and Call of Cthulhu off the top of my head. No concrete release dates or gameplay really but that's par for the course with horror games which seems like they're announced and released within months.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wow I did not know they were making another Call of Chthulu game. I definitely hope that turns out good. There is a lot of potential in that setting.

Not really a high grade horror game but State of Decay 2 is set for 2017.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if that weird not-The Last of Us zombie horde shooter Sony was touting gets released this year. Partly to tide people over for The Last of Us 2 but also out of spite for State of Decay 2.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A new Call of Cthulhu is on the way? That could be interesting. Dark Corners of the Earth was really good, until guns got involved. It was still worth playing til the end though, but that combat...

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Days Gone. I think that game actually looks kind of cool if it delivers on the idea of being chased through an open world by hordes of infected like the trailer. It at least looks like a different take on a zombie game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestonJew posted:

Routine? Maybe?

Routine seems to be a sure thing, we were actually supposed to get a December release date too which would of been awesome but sales and all that.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Days Gone. I think that game actually looks kind of cool if it delivers on the idea of being chased through an open world by hordes of infected like the trailer. It at least looks like a different take on a zombie game.

That gameplay trailer made me irrationally angry. Why are you turning around randomly and wasting ammo and running in circles arrgghh

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Agony. Maybe Scorn.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
No man's sky! That's a horrific game!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Plowed through Until Dawn in the span of like a week. That was pretty fun once I got over my tendency to want to save everyone and just went, yeah, this is a cheesy slasher movie and half of em are going to die. But Hero of Justice Mike survived, so whatever

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

I want to see what Prey is going to be. They're talking about you and the enemies can transform into any object so they'll set up scenarios where you're constantly paranoid of the environment. But you can transform too so you can lay ambushes.

Frostpunk by 11bit, State of Decay 2, Get Even from the NecroVision devs looks like a Condemned/Outlast hybrid, and Call of Cthulhu off the top of my head. No concrete release dates or gameplay really but that's par for the course with horror games which seems like they're announced and released within months.

Prey seems to change into a who can out dick whom game where you can abuse powers to possibly even evade fights all together or turn them into physics based death hunts. If you care about staying scared, that feeling of helplessness could quickly go away if its powers click with you like abusing Dishonored's warp or the savants that turn that game's powers arsenal into an art piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Who gives a poo poo.

What are people's most anticipated 2017 horror games that aren't just scare cam bait? Apparently a new Call of cthulhu is releasing this year?

I do, I give a poo poo. I want to play RE7, it is my most anticipated horror game of 2017 (aside from Routine, which may be vapor) but I don't want to have to deal with losing everything in the case of an internet hiccup, like Hitman. That said, Denuvo is on Just Cause 3, which hasn't had a hiccup yet for me.

Anyone know what the deal is with State of Decay Year One Survival Edition? Is that regular State of Decay with all the DLC, or is the base game updated in a way that I don't already have as someone who owned State of Decay before?

EDIT: Is Night in the Woods a horror game? That might be my most anticipated horror game.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 3, 2017