Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm on the final dungeon of Strange Journey.

The "Three Wise Man" showing up to "explain everything" didn't explain poo poo.

Would I have any idea who they are or who their opponent Louisa is if I had played the other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Try saying LouisaFerre out loud multiple times really fast. That might help?

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 2, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HGH posted:

I forgot she even had a last name.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

She's just a gal out on the town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To answer your question Lucifer appears in a lot of SMT games, usually under a hilariously thin psuedonym (Louis Cypher for example.) and as a blond-haired man or woman who is unassuming and yet infinite suspicious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To answer your question Lucifer appears in a lot of SMT games, usually under a hilariously thin psuedonym (Louis Cypher for example.) and as a blond-haired man or woman who is unassuming and yet infinite suspicious.

He's a pretty lovely devil in this I guess. I mean, "Louisa" has shown up a handful of times and said one or two thing sand then left. Very persuasive, very high effort.

I thought he was top Chaos guy? I was kinda wondering about why, in a series featuring multiple religious beings, Judao-Christian entities like YHWH and Lucifer are at the top of the two alignments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because Japanese people think Juedo-Christianity is cool.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you're into the idea that all SMT games take place within the same multiverse, Apocalypse KINDA explains why the Judeo-Christian gods are the top of the foodchain.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you're into the idea that all SMT games take place within the same multiverse, Apocalypse KINDA explains why the Judeo-Christian gods are the top of the foodchain.

that's a dumb idea to be into though

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Also, it varies a lot game by game. Like, in Nocturne, noted Zoroastrian bad guy Angra Mainyu is the closest thing there is to a top Law man and Canaanite Baal is the top Chaos man and considering the way the conflict there works, Lucifer would be top Neutral guy because it's all based on perspective and he's just interested in getting dudes to help him out with a completely different issue to the Vortex World. Reasons don't perfectly map out onto Alignments in theory, but Shijima is pretty much the exact traditional definition of Law with Yosuga being a pretty extreme version of Chaos.

There are no real absolutes throughout the series because the way alignments work and are shaped is inherently subjective based on the issue at hand. You could maybe make one weird exception and attempt to argue that YHVH is the closest thing to a main series antagonist. And if you're really going to stretch things out in an overall way then the technical Neutral head is Laozi who, being the guy what invented Taoism, has absolutely nothing to do with Judeo-Christianity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of Nocturne, while I'm in an "SMT mood" should I play that next or maybe give Persona 3 a go?

Infinity Gaia posted:

I want to play SMTIV and SMTIV:A and the Devil Survivor remakes so badly but I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a 3DS.

I figure a new, not terrible PC is a better investment of my preciously limited money.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 3, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of Nocturne, while I'm in an "SMT mood" should I play that next or maybe give Persona 3 a go?

do you want to jrpg in a ruined world full of rear end in a top hat demons or make friends with animes

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the mainline SMT games tend to focus on the Judeo-Christian set and they branch heavily into other mythologies with their other output. DDS is heavily based on Hinduism, P3 on Greek mythology, P4 on traditional Japanese mythology, etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And P5 is just books. Go to a goddamn library sometime.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I want to play SMTIV and SMTIV:A and the Devil Survivor remakes so badly but I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a 3DS.

I figure a new, not terrible PC is a better investment of my preciously limited money.

I would play P3:FES on a emulator since it's the better edition of P3 unless you want to play the P3P which has the true heroine option. I, too, have suffered a similar dilemma and bought a PS Vita so I could play P4:G and it's worth it. Also the PS TV is only $60 and will run it fine too. Although I don't own 3DS I've played DS1/2 and they're OK but grindy games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
what's a book

my library is just a bunch of kindles with online certification for phones to scan and copy for 2 weeks

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Isnt SJ basically mother goddesses really pissed off at God?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Tired Moritz posted:

Isnt SJ basically mother goddesses really pissed off at God?

Global Warming made the demons.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

do you want to jrpg in a ruined world full of rear end in a top hat demons or make friends with animes

Heh, a friend of mine who has played pretty much every SMT game just showed me this.

So I guess the question is do I want to hang with assholes or some cool people, maybe some waifus even? Or is that just PS4?

I dunno,I dig this alignment stuff and Nocturne apparently has a cool take on it. Maybe I'll just start up both games and see which interests me more.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just picked up P3P for the first time in 6 months, I think I left it at a mini boss fight against 3 dudes who probably killed me. I beat them fairly easily, didn't save, continued on a few more floors of Tartarus before my MC got KOd by a book casting Mamudo.

I should know better by now to save after an event like a mini boss fight, but who thought it was a good idea to have insta kill moves in a game where you get a Game Over if your MC dies :qq:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HGH posted:

To be fair I always thought Japanese games were too on the nose with their names being English puns. Even the latest FF has a king named Regis, a main character called Noctis who lives in Insomnia and his girlfriend Luna. Like one step above literally SNOW LIGHTNING HOPE but still pretty cheesy.

But then I totally missed the one in the latest DOOM.There's a guy called Samuel Hayden. Sam Hayden. S hayden.

Satan

NikkolasKing posted:

Heh, a friend of mine who has played pretty much every SMT game just showed me this.

So I guess the question is do I want to hang with assholes or some cool people, maybe some waifus even? Or is that just PS4?

I dunno,I dig this alignment stuff and Nocturne apparently has a cool take on it. Maybe I'll just start up both games and see which interests me more.

P3 and P4 are both similar in that way. P3 though feels like a SMT spinoff in that the tone is still pretty dark and negative despite you making friends with random people and going to highschool. P4 was such a success partially because it was the first game in such a bleak series that felt hopeful and made you feel like you have people who have your back, and it has some of the most human characters in a JRPG that are like, actual complicated people sometimes and not boiled down to one stereotypical trait.

SMT3 is 100% early PS2 RPG. There's no voice acting while the English VA for Persona games is a huge part of what makes them endearing. The first thing that happens in the game is the world ends and you become a demon. You will get game overs a lot. The story is more about the atmosphere than like, an actual story

I think they're very different games

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have two gameplay issues regarding Persona 3:FES.

1. How heavily does my character's level (or his persona's) factor into damage dealt / damage received? (And does it make a difference if it's the "original" level of the persona or levelled up.)

2. Is it me or does Atlus really not want me to switch party composition? Because trying to bring a backbencher up from 25 to ~40 for his resistances seems to take really long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's entirely your character's Persona that affects everything but their HP and SP. Older Personas are generally worse than newer ones for a few reasons.

Also, underleveled party members are subject to significant experience scaling in your favor, so no.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the persona's original level is factored into damage calculations along with its current level

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The amount of anger generated by a (what should be an obvious answer) tweet by John Hardin is amazing.

https://twitter.com/JohnLHardin/status/816339149879799814

I guess there were rumors of a PC and Switch version of P5? :iiam:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DarkstarIV posted:

I guess there were rumors of a PC and Switch version of P5? :iiam:

I'm not sure how anyone could have thought Atlus was going to suddenly gain the ability to launch games on multiple platforms at the same time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

I'm not sure how anyone could have thought Atlus was going to suddenly gain the ability to launch games on multiple platforms at the same time.

Atlus can't even launch the same game on the same platform with the same language in 2 countries simultaneously

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's cause Persona 5's boxart didn't have the "Only on PS4" or Sony exclusive sticker so people thought ports might be in the pipeline, especially with Atlus saying they want to work on Switch. People are still jumping to dumb conclusions because I have no clue where the idea of simultaneous release came from, but it's not like Mr. "Persona 5 WILL DEFINITELY release in 2014" knows all the company plans either.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is someone who saw Atlus' name on the list of companies doing stuff on the Switch and was like "OH IT HAS TO BE PERSONA 5 BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY VIDEO GAME ATLUS HAS MADE EVER!"

They are along with those people who thought the game was for sure releasing in 2014 and thought there was gonna be a simultaneous release in all regions.

Also hot take, it's most likely a Switch port of TMS, which I started playing and is pretty cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It's TMS with added face patting. Though I would prefer to pat Hallelujah.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Etrian Odyssey 6.

And 7.

And 8

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope we get a TMS 2. Either a sequel or spiritual successor. I just like the combat system a lot, and the dungeons have some great variety.

Meanwhile I've reached the mid-point of Block 3 in Tartarus in P3P. I need to grind for the Greasy Gears for the Quest for Elizabeth, though. I didn't realise but I think I was on a floor where they would spawn, but I didn't stick around on there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for all we know atlus's logo on the switch thing could just be cubivore on the gamecube virtual console

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

There is someone who saw Atlus' name on the list of companies doing stuff on the Switch and was like "OH IT HAS TO BE PERSONA 5 BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY VIDEO GAME ATLUS HAS MADE EVER!"

They are along with those people who thought the game was for sure releasing in 2014 and thought there was gonna be a simultaneous release in all regions.

Also hot take, it's most likely a Switch port of TMS, which I started playing and is pretty cool.

Please be TMS but you can skip session animations when you're in the back half and they take 30 seconds each time you attack, that's all I need

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
TMS Maniacs edition featuring Dante
He'd love being on stage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

TMS Maniacs edition featuring Dante
He'd love being on stage.
a version of tms where the bland protagonist is replaced with dante

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd take anyone over Itsuki. Even the Persona self-inserts would have been more interesting.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I just got back to playing #FE actually, because I wanna finish it before the Switch comes out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I made it to the final boss of SJ. I lasted...oh, 30 seconds. Literally her first attack killed me.

I'm Level 69 and I've been ready for this game to be over for a while now so I have had no mood for grinding or resource gathering. Big mistake I guess. I get to look forward to a nice day of both of those when I get up later.

On the bright side, I have a ton of Sources I can now use because "you'll never know if you'll need it" stops mattering when you get to the final boss.

Also I guess Gore was the Neutral representative. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I just got back to playing #FE actually, because I wanna finish it before the Switch comes out
I was playing it over Christmas, I got to Chapter 4. The dungeon seems like a bit of a pain. I'll hopefully get back to it at the weekend.