Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"I cut off a man's hand effortlessly." - someone who has never wielded anything sharper than a butter knife in his life and gets everything he thinks he knows about blades from anime. Does he imagine that a sharp enough blade is magic and just sails through flesh, bone, and connective tissue without resistance?

Meat cleavers are thick, heavy, and sturdy for a reason: even if it's razor sharp, you need a good solid whack to cut through bone, and that's when it's firmly braced against a cutting board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

bend posted:

That's not all that unbelievable really, it's generally not too difficult, you can even learn how on the internet. I know a bloke who taught himself how to pick locks when he was 13 so he could get into his dads shed and steal weed and beer, it's not a big step from there to " I can hear people next door, I better get in here quietly. OOH I know, I'll pick the lock", not necessarily a good idea mind, but if you had a good idea you probably wouldn't be committing burglary.

yeah nah it's pretty unbelievable, my city's got a pretty high crime rate and there's no loving lockpicking going on, burglars go for unlocked doors or else they smash a window. nobody picks a loving lock on a loving house that has a person inside it in real life

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

you guys would not believe what I saw at my most recent anime convention

My favorite parts of this that no one has mentioned yet:

- a single punch from a doughy cosplay enthusiast knocking out "several" teeth
- the dogwhistle in the second paragraph that implies black people were tacitly supporting the beating
- discount Pat Morita calling it "your beloved loving Japan" in a really derisive way, despite...being from there?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

Next time please put a letterbox around your post. Be sure to explain what part is funny, and add the emojis.

For example,

DAT FACE WHEN YOU

post goes here

JUST WAKE UP 😂😂😂😂

You missed the tumblr reblog part that acts as the laugh track/aesop

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah nah it's pretty unbelievable, my city's got a pretty high crime rate and there's no loving lockpicking going on, burglars go for unlocked doors or else they smash a window. nobody picks a loving lock on a loving house that has a person inside it in real life

Yeah, you average burglar isn't exactly well trained and even if they can pick locks why loving bother? Just walk down the street in the middle of the day and test doors for that poor fucker that forgot to lock it on the way to work. Way easier.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

InediblePenguin posted:

Or, if it's an old lock, 5 seconds with tongs and that lock is off.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slime posted:

Yeah, you average burglar isn't exactly well trained and even if they can pick locks why loving bother? Just walk down the street in the middle of the day and test doors for that poor fucker that forgot to lock it on the way to work. Way easier.

To add, if you're a skilled lockpicker, you can go into locksmithing and actually just make tons of money legally, obviating the need to go around burgling.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

InediblePenguin posted:

Technically, it was not lock picking so much as trying to break the lock to enter but some burglars tried to break into a house that I was in within the past year. Thankfully the lock was not as susceptible as some of my neighbors' but it was an unsettling morning when I realized the front door's lock did not work and the outside gate had been opened.

The police theorized that they were targeting homes with people residing in them in order to find cash.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

"Grandma's dead LOL - mum"

He thought it meant crying regular tears

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
And the mum in that quote thought it meant "Lots Of Love" or something like that.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Fathis Munk posted:

And the mum in that quote thought it meant "Lots Of Love" or something like that.

It doesn't?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

King Hong Kong posted:

Technically, it was not lock picking so much as trying to break the lock to enter but some burglars tried to break into a house that I was in within the past year. Thankfully the lock was not as susceptible as some of my neighbors' but it was an unsettling morning when I realized the front door's lock did not work and the outside gate had been opened.

The police theorized that they were targeting homes with people residing in them in order to find cash.

I think the difference between lockpicking and bruteforce attempts to break a lock open is important enourgh to maintain the distinction, particularly when discussing how realistic bat'leth dude's story is

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tfw you defend your domicile from a cowardly peta'Q who won't face you like a true warrior 😂⚔️😂

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"I cut off a man's hand effortlessly." - someone who has never wielded anything sharper than a butter knife in his life and gets everything he thinks he knows about blades from anime. Does he imagine that a sharp enough blade is magic and just sails through flesh, bone, and connective tissue without resistance?

Meat cleavers are thick, heavy, and sturdy for a reason: even if it's razor sharp, you need a good solid whack to cut through bone, and that's when it's firmly braced against a cutting board.

My favorite was a troper years ago on the TT forums asking about the plausibility of karate chopping a person's head off. People coming to the thread were telling him no, that's really not a thing that can happen. But he just kept begging. "What if the guy was MILITARY TRAINED" "what if he went REALLY FAST" He was so desperate, he really wanted to write a story where the protagonist karate chopped a guy's head off, using one of his regular old human hands, but it needed to be REALISTIC AND PLAUSIBLE ISN'T THERE SOME WAY. CAN'T YOU FATHOM SOME INSTANCE, SOME CONDITION, SLLLLICE THE HEAD OFF WITH HIS KARATE TRAINED HAND????

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

My favorite was a troper years ago on the TT forums asking about the plausibility of karate chopping a person's head off. People coming to the thread were telling him no, that's really not a thing that can happen. But he just kept begging. "What if the guy was MILITARY TRAINED" "what if he went REALLY FAST" He was so desperate, he really wanted to write a story where the protagonist karate chopped a guy's head off, using one of his regular old human hands, but it needed to be REALISTIC AND PLAUSIBLE ISN'T THERE SOME WAY. CAN'T YOU FATHOM SOME INSTANCE, SOME CONDITION, SLLLLICE THE HEAD OFF WITH HIS KARATE TRAINED HAND????

I bet Black Dynamite could do it with his Kung Fu. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Some burglars in Spain got hacked up by their victim when he grabbed a sword recently. No missing limbs, but the results were almost absurdly bloody.

:nms: due to pictures of the wounds.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Some burglars in Spain got hacked up by their victim when he grabbed a sword recently. No missing limbs, but the results were almost absurdly bloody.

:nms: due to pictures of the wounds.

Holy poo poo, they got wrecked.

Even better (for the story), the dude who sliced and diced them was in his 60s or 70s.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

flosofl posted:

I bet Black Dynamite could do it with his Kung Fu. :colbert:

Why use your hand when you have a boomerang?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Lockpicking is actually loads of fun, you guys should try it:
http://toool.us/equipment.html
It's kind of like knitting, a fun little fidgety hand activity if you have a few minutes while you're waiting for something to compile or whatever.

e: do not attempt to use it in a home invasion, you may lose a hand and all the other burglars will laugh at you.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

I'll rephrase then, It's not the most unbelievable part of the original story that someone would be stupid enough to try. Certainly more believable than the dude chopping peoples hands off, or someone getting there hand cut off and disappearing into the darkness rather than bleeding everywhere and passing out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I know someone who owns a bat'leth.

He doesn't keep it sharpened and instead uses it as a nerdy display item rather than a weapon because he's not a goddamn moron.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RoboRodent posted:

owns a bat'leth.

RoboRodent posted:

not a goddamn moron.

Yeah right buddy

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

He doesn't keep it sharpened and instead uses it as a nerdy display item rather than a weapon because he's not a goddamn moron.

I'm not sure both of these can be true

gently caress YOU BOBBYK

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

An Imgur post titled "BEAST MODE":

quote:

Thank god he did it too or that would have been weird. for those wondering what i mean by "Accidentally" i dont just break into the beast run in public, i didnt mean to do it in my work place and i certainly didnt mean to do it infront of my colleague.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Of course somebody who refers to it as "the beast run" totally did it by accident you guys.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bend posted:

That's not all that unbelievable really, it's generally not too difficult, you can even learn how on the internet. I know a bloke who taught himself how to pick locks when he was 13 so he could get into his dads shed and steal weed and beer, it's not a big step from there to " I can hear people next door, I better get in here quietly. OOH I know, I'll pick the lock", not necessarily a good idea mind, but if you had a good idea you probably wouldn't be committing burglary.

Source your dumb-rear end quotes.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

RoboRodent posted:

They really do look like the sort of thing that would instantly stab you if you tried anything beyond "gently waving about at arm's length".

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Source your dumb-rear end quotes.

sorry for disagreeing with you I guess, like I said

bend posted:

I'll rephrase then, It's not the most unbelievable part of the original story that someone would be stupid enough to try. Certainly more believable than the dude chopping peoples hands off, or someone getting there hand cut off and disappearing into the darkness rather than bleeding everywhere and passing out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, they got wrecked.

Even better (for the story), the dude who sliced and diced them was in his 60s or 70s.

Yeah, don't gently caress with real swords. $30 mall katanas can barely cut a 2 liter in half, but real swords kept sharp are going to gently caress up every bit of flesh they touch.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I mean wouldn't it be really weird to be at home with your six-year-old daughter and then all of a sudden Rihanna started singing LOTR?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

To be fair, at five my son would belt out Misfits songs in the car. Cause that's what his parents would listen to. Kids don't really start following pop music til like, 9.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

And the daughter was.. Albert Einstein

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Also how the gently caress do you "sing" Lord of the Rings

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

goose willis posted:

Lord of the Rings
Lord of the Rings
Duh-duh-duh-duhh
Lord of the Rings

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

goose willis posted:

BAAA BA BA BA DA DA DAAA

DUNUNUNUHHH NUNHNUHNUNUNHHH NUNUNNHHH NUUUUHHHH

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: if you've never sung the theme to Dallas by using the word Dallas.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

goose willis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_eaAk57oUY

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

goose willis posted:

The dwarves sang in one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015