Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Guillermus posted:

Oh nice, I'll max out striker then just do trash and repeatable quests for the glimmer and XP with defender.

Pro tip: you can grab bounties and complete them as a striker. Change your subclass to defender when you turn them in, and the defender subclass gets all the xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's neat. Another thing is the button layout. I'm using default but thinking about using jumper. What are you guys using? I kind of miss being able to jump and aim at the same time and I'm already jumping with L1 on Doom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Meat Dimension posted:

That's me. I use the XIM4 because CronusMAX needed a USB hub to function continuously.

XIM4 can have power problems too, the keyboard and mouse I use with mine has color leds and they can draw enough power to trip the XIM4.

I considered getting a hub with higher power output but it works fine if I turn off the leds.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Seriously gently caress Shimmering Sands.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Also serious gently caress Destiny servers. Got disconnected twice when almost getting The Will of Crota quest losing all progress. It's a pain enough to play with pubbies with servers being poo poo too.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Guillermus posted:

Also serious gently caress Destiny servers. Got disconnected twice when almost getting The Will of Crota quest losing all progress. It's a pain enough to play with pubbies with servers being poo poo too.

What servers? lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

It's all p2p bro

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't tell me that is completely peer to peer when doing strike missions because oh my...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

Don't tell me that is completely peer to peer when doing strike missions because oh my...

Honestly I have something like 400 plus hours in Destiny and it's rarely been an issue. The other day I was doing the Winter's Run strike and poo poo got weird right before the boss, but the guy with the lovely connection got dropped and it gave me two other mooks for the boss fight. But the PvPers in this thread have it way worse.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, I made it into another party and finished it. On my previous one a guy kept pushing forward and getting killed constantly making it a loving chore. That's why I hate playing with pubbies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guillermus posted:

Oh well, I made it into another party and finished it. On my previous one a guy kept pushing forward and getting killed constantly making it a loving chore. That's why I hate playing with pubbies.

Yeah, until you are high enough light level to make strike content trivial, playing with pubbies is painful. Which is why there is no matchmaking for raids and nightfall, though I can't fathom why there is no matchmaking for Challenge of Elders.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

DrNutt posted:

Honestly I have something like 400 plus hours in Destiny and it's rarely been an issue. The other day I was doing the Winter's Run strike and poo poo got weird right before the boss, but the guy with the lovely connection got dropped and it gave me two other mooks for the boss fight. But the PvPers in this thread have it way worse.

400 hours, that's cute :smugdog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, until you are high enough light level to make strike content trivial, playing with pubbies is painful. Which is why there is no matchmaking for raids and nightfall, though I can't fathom why there is no matchmaking for Challenge of Elders.

I can imagine CoE has no matchmaking because if one guy is trying for a points run for his ticket and another guy is trying for minimum time to grind rank, at least one of those players will be really mad by the end.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I did it lmao

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 2, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Communication between players is all peer to peer, but there is a cloud "director" that the game receives instructions from.. like when/where to spawn enemies, scripted events, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Destiny network architecture is an amazing labyrinth of servers but it works, mostly. Bad connections are only really an issue in PVP, it's extremely rare for the game to break down entirely and abort your session.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

haveblue posted:

The Destiny network architecture is an amazing labyrinth of servers but it works, mostly. Bad connections are only really an issue in PVP, it's extremely rare for the game to break down entirely and abort your session.

(THIS IS WHAT HAVEBLUE ACTUALLY BELIEVES)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

Crota would like to have a word with you in the shard room.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Congrats. Any good drops? Felt like SRL threw (lovely) eyaslunas at me like candy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wang posted:

400 hours, that's cute :smugdog:

I imagine I would have a lot more if I was single and living alone, and also did not have a full time job.

Alas... I don't think that's counting my Xbone playtime, which is undoubtedly a lot less but still enough to level 3 or 4 subclasses to max level.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If anyone out there is willing to help with the Nightfall that would be much appreciated. Really would like to finish up my Dawning book today, rather than see the rewards vanish, lost like tears in the rain.

PSN PadreChester

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
Hey guys so I got back into this game and was playing this morning before work and I ranked up to Vanguard 1 and they gave me what I assumed was a turn in for either a legendary weapon/armour/whatever, I chose the weapon since its the only thing left from my insta-40 package but I didn't get a weapon and I can't seem to see this token anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I go to do this or if I misread it or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Crota would like to have a word with you in the shard room.

Crota actually gets mentioned in the presentation as a failure of their process.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Dante18907 posted:

Hey guys so I got back into this game and was playing this morning before work and I ranked up to Vanguard 1 and they gave me what I assumed was a turn in for either a legendary weapon/armour/whatever, I chose the weapon since its the only thing left from my insta-40 package but I didn't get a weapon and I can't seem to see this token anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I go to do this or if I misread it or something?

Might be at the postmaster if your inventory was full at the time.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
If you chose weapon you're screwed. You can only get stuff from the rank-up packages that you're the appropriate rep level to buy. An oversight when they switched from a single package to three choices.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Angry Walrus posted:

If you chose weapon you're screwed. You can only get stuff from the rank-up packages that you're the appropriate rep level to buy. An oversight when they switched from a single package to three choices.

Well that fuckin sucks. Why even give the choice at Rank 1. UGH

Dante18907 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 3, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I guess after the two exotics you get from Xur's gift, the rest of the dawning stuff sucks. Saladin gives you some iron ornaments and 50 motes, and it looks like a shader and emblem are the last two gifts. Please tell me you get something decent for finishing up the book maybe an opportunity to buy an ugly rear end t-shirt???

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

DrNutt posted:

So I guess after the two exotics you get from Xur's gift, the rest of the dawning stuff sucks. Saladin gives you some iron ornaments and 50 motes, and it looks like a shader and emblem are the last two gifts. Please tell me you get something decent for finishing up the book maybe an opportunity to buy an ugly rear end t-shirt???

How do you get the tags for those big gifts?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

DrNutt posted:

The Real Treasures of the Dawning were the blues you dismantled along the way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dante18907 posted:

They are reward ranks in the dawning book. You get Amanda's at rank 4 or 5, Xur's at 6 I think, and Saladin's at 9. Or something to that effect. Once you claim the reward in the record book you can go open the big gift.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

DrNutt posted:

literally what oculd you possibly want more than a shader

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CheeseFactory posted:

Anything less than a XIM4 and you're fooling yourself, the other KBM adapters just aren't the same.

If you have any questions ask away.

You're using it with a mouse and keyboard though normally right? Have you tried it with the Elite?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

You can see the book rewards, you probably get a shader or an emblem or something for it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

You can see the book rewards, you probably get a shader or an emblem or something for it.

Yeah, I was wondering if there was something special for completing it that wasn't listed or something. Just seems a little anticlimactic. That's Destiny!

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

As a new 40, how the everloving gently caress do I gear up quickly to be able to even do the strike playlists and poo poo? Atm I am just pushing through the rest of the story (just started the Taken King stuff). Seeing as the only playlist I can do is for the lvl 20 strikes it seems like they built a wall around the fun new poo poo to keep new players out and looking in.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Dante18907 posted:

As a new 40, how the everloving gently caress do I gear up quickly to be able to even do the strike playlists and poo poo? Atm I am just pushing through the rest of the story (just started the Taken King stuff). Seeing as the only playlist I can do is for the lvl 20 strikes it seems like they built a wall around the fun new poo poo to keep new players out and looking in.

Go and buy a cloak from the speaker, ghost from shaxx and any 350 vendor gear you can afford.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also finish beating the story. There's a poo poo-ton of TTK content, it's much better than the stock missions, and by the end of it you should be much closer to qualifying for the higher strike playlists.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dante18907 posted:

There are 2 books on the left-hand side of your progress screen. The smaller one on the bottom shows all the rewards for ranking up the book. You can unlock the first 2 presents through sparrow racing, but Saladin's present will take several SIVA crisis strikes to earn. It is not worth it and also I think the event ended today.

Dante18907 posted:

I just came back after like 2 years of not playing. I was able to go from 120 ll to 366 in a few days just through Sparrow racing and SIVA strike playlists.

Once you have enough marks and vanguard rep buy some 350 ll gear from the vanguard to get started. Before you decode any engrams put on whatever gear you have that gives you the highest possible light level. Decode an engram, and then check to see if it gives you a higher number before you decode anything else. If it does, put it on and then repeat. Decoding an engram will almost always give you something better than what you currently have, at least until ll 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

titties posted:

There are 2 books on the left-hand side of your progress screen. The smaller one on the bottom shows all the rewards for ranking up the book. You can unlock the first 2 presents through sparrow racing, but Saladin's present will take several SIVA crisis strikes to earn. It is not worth it and also I think the event ended today.

I just came back after like 2 years of not playing. I was able to go from 120 ll to 366 in a few days just through Sparrow racing and SIVA strike playlists.

Once you have enough marks and vanguard rep buy some 350 ll gear from the vanguard to get started. Before you decode any engrams put on whatever gear you have that gives you the highest possible light level. Decode an engram, and then check to see if it gives you a higher number before you decode anything else. If it does, put it on and then repeat. Decoding an engram will almost always give you something better than what you currently have, at least until ll 360.

Whats a good way to get Legendary Marks without access to the various daily strike playlists? I have been getting a couple a day just through dismantling old/offclass gear from the 1-2 sublime engrams I get but otherwise thats it aside from the odd quest reward.

• Locked thread