Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you should only leave Kleptomaniac on characters that have Deviant Tastes imo

"yes, i'll... take what i found in this giant clam, for... later..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

you should only leave Kleptomaniac on characters that have Deviant Tastes imo

"yes, i'll... take what i found in this giant clam, for... later..."

Messing around with clams is what got him kicked out of the brothel

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

why are jesters unpopular and why do most bleed classes have poo poo bleeds compared to blight? other than the attack/stun what skills should i be running with my men at arms? I've usually got the attack the front 2 with debuff and then the mark + prot skill

Damage is damage. Most bleed attacks, at worst, hit almost as hard as a standard attack with the same AOE. The hellion's bleeds are the gold standard here, but generally bleed attacks do semi-decent damage when they land and then the bleed DOT is just gravy; the bounty hunter's lovely hook attack is the only bleed I can think of that does next to no initial damage.

Blight attacks, on the other hand, all have -80% to -100% damage modifiers and do basically no damage upfront. Which means they're pretty terrible for anything except the snails in the cove. The AOE blights can be sort of okayish as a last resort damage dealing measure but they're generally worse than bleed attacks: not only is it advantageous to do more damage upfront, blight attacks usually do less damage total than comparable bleed attacks (or standard attacks, for that matter.)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Straight White Shark posted:

the bounty hunter's lovely hook attack is the only bleed I can think of that does next to no initial damage.

Yeah, Hook and Slice is very underwhelming. I can't think of a single time I've used it, and the Bounty Hunter has always been my favorite class. Guess he needs at least one crappy skill, right?

I usually use: Collect Bounty, Marked for Death, Flashbang, Finish Him. All great skills, but sometimes swapping out a skill for Come Hither is worthwhile, depending on the party composition.

Uppercut is a solid stun, but Flashbang is :discourse:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah the flashbang shuffle is unresistable, with the caveat that you don't know where that blinded stumbling pig is gonna go (whereas with uppercut you know he's going back 2)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is movement shifting really that good? i mean i know it sucks for mine to be moved but i've not really bothered with it outside of stuns

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Move shifting is situational, but when it's good it's really good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is it a bad idea to keep doing apprentice runs with my people who are under level 3 to get the town as upgraded as possible?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you generally want a mix of low to high level dudes for a variety of reasons. mostly so you can ensure you finish off all the bosses, but also so you're not forced into doing the one Champion Long dungeon in the Weald that shows up offering busts

higher level dungeons also tend to give better trinkets, making all your dudes who can use them better.

but equally it's not a bad idea to level up most of your dudes to level 3 to start taking them into Veteran dungeons; attrition is gonna weed out some of them

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Movement attacks are generally not good on their own: they're extremely situational and most of them are not reliable unless you dedicate a trinket slot to them.

However, there are a handful of useful attacks that also have move/shuffle riders and these are pretty good, because you're not wasting a turn even if the movement fails or isn't particularly relevant. Man-at-arms has push+stun, abomination has push+debuff+damage (that also advances forward), bounty hunter and plague doc both have shuffle+stun, maybe a few others. Shuffle isn't particularly reliable, but if you're hitting the first or last enemy at least you know which direction they're moving.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

abominations seem kind of bad

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

when non-transformed they are surprisingly tanky; good stunners, mediocre blighters, with an extremely powerful self-heal

when transformed they are absolute blenders against the first two rows and the party stress from the transformation will probably be counteracted by crit hits. transform against room battles or 4-strong corridor battles, generally.

their biggest downside is locking you into using an occultist as a designated healer. pair them with hellions, grave robbers, bounty hunters or plague doctors to scratch the parts that transformed aboms cannot reach.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arbalests also make good additions to abom parties, their combat heal handles a lot of the problems with occultists.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Arbalests also make good additions to abom parties, their combat heal handles a lot of the problems with occultists.

Also, give the abom a heal buff and he'll shed hilarious amounts of damage very quickly.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

when non-transformed they are surprisingly tanky; good stunners, mediocre blighters, with an extremely powerful self-heal

He pretty much summed it up.

Abominations tend to get better over time. Gear and upgrades will help. I guess he's expensive, since all his skills serve a specific function and are worth upgrading, imo.

Jose, during the early/mid game, try to find the Uncommon trinket, the Padlock of Transference (+30% stun/blight chance). I've used that trinket well into the late game, and I can't recommend it enough. Keeping him in human form (most of the time) is viable, because blight/stun are nice tools to have. As mentioned above, his self-heal, Absolution, is insanely powerful.

Eventually, he'll become a wrecking machine while he's transformed.

Trinkets like the Ancestor's Pen (+15% damage on melee skills, +5% CRT melee, +10% Stress) allow him to shred weaker enemies. The Lock of Fury trinket (+10% DMG, +3 SPD, -10% MAX HP) is worth mentioning, too.

I also agree that the Arbalest is a perfect match for him, since their skills complement one another, and healing becomes much easier.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 1, 2017

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Giving me 2 x 6 cents on this.

I 100% disagree with not getting rid of negative quirks. Don't pay to clear locked-in ones, but otherwise a trip to the sanitarium on a low level enough character is not expensive. Not having curio's messed with / random diseases picked pays for itself very quickly. And if you aren't using the random busts you pick up to upgrade the sanitarium for cheaper stays, what the hell are you using them for? Upgrading the Abbey or Tavern? If you're spending money to remove stress you're doing something wrong.

Also, the Gather missions in the Weald are must-do's unless there is an absolutely essential item elsewhere. They trigger a town event for free Sanitarium, both clearing and locking in.

As for the Jester, basically never run his bleed attacks. They're too situational, and the Jester doesn't want to be anywhere near the front ranks for longer than he has to. Really what you want to be doing is nuking with Finale immediately then shaving off stress / boosting party initiative. Sometimes you can stick around longer to Dirk Stab, or use Dirk Stab to finish something off.

The Jester is... kind of like the Antiquarian, in that they are bad classes that make you money (Antiquarian) or save you money (Jester). For this, Jester is actually a really good pick early on as they are at their best performance during Apprentice / Veteran dungeons. I almost always have at least one on my roster. Once you get to Champion, they are one bad crit away from dying and their problems start becoming very apparent. They are just incredibly squishy and dodge is too unreliable.

I wish I could use Abom's more, but their restrictions feel hugely hampering to having them on the roster. Their Fury trinket is amazing.

And yeah, movement abilities are kind of meh. The most consistent good use for them is doing a knock back to a rank 2 types of enemies that have to resort to weaker moves to walk back into position, like cult brawlers or fungus zombies. What you were aiming for is the Stun that these moves have, and the knockback is a neat bonus. PD and Bountyhunters shuffle stuns are good too for bringing a back liner forward.

For Bleeds vs. Blights, the comparison is kind of silly because what matters is the character that is packing them, and what strategies they they are bringing to the table. PD's blights feel extremely strong because the PD is also a stunning machine, so you can make very good tactical decisions on where to blight, when you can get 2 triggers of the Dot before the enemy acts / etc. That the PD also has probably the best class-trinket in the game helps too. Blights on other characters don't matter to much, since the Abom doesn't get to choose whether to have it on their kit or not, and Antiquarian's load out is so bad her Blight seems good by comparison.

There are no comparable moves for Bleeds. Bleeds are less tactical and more just a brute-force numbers game, where you have to wager if straight damage will be worth doing potentially more damage but a chance the enemy might resist. I tend to run straight damage because I'd like to keep the RNG factor low and banking on two rolls (Accuracy - Damage) tends to yield more consistent results then three (Accuracy - Bleed Resist - Damage). Also, I can't think of any +bleed chance trinkets that are as good as the Blasphemous Vial.

Makaris fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 1, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One good use of pulling is to get a tempting goblet dispensary into rank 1, which basically neutralizes it because all it can do is a lovely worthless stab at that point (which does not move it backward). It's also handy in general just to let the crusader and leper actually hit something if they don't have important targets on ranks 1-2. I usually keep Come Hither on my bounty hunter

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

imo the opportunity gold cost from losing item interactions (from a mentally ill hero) is not a huge thing that hits you in the wallet. you will almost always end up getting more loot than you can carry on successful runs, so going "darn i lost about a thousand there" isn't a massive issue. so you will indeed benefit if you have low-level heroes, and cash to spare, and free sanitarium space, by chopping out the "gently caress with random things" manias. it's just not a case of "i'll remove these manias now and it'll make me rich"

if you're gonna cure a mania, cure a mania that could potentially cost you something that isn't money - curios, or good traits, or really beneficial/negative curio interactions. hence, Curious, or Klepto. warrens or cove runs will hopefully end up with you leaving with fewer bad traits than you went in - i don't really count diseases, as they're so cheap to remove

also just lmao @ "do a mission in the Weald" at any point ever

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does a trinket that gives an increased stun chance apply to all skills, including those that don't normally stun?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does a trinket that gives an increased stun chance apply to all skills, including those that don't normally stun?

could you be more specific

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Stun-improving trinkets only apply to attacks that have a chance of inflicting stun anyway, but the boost is substantial. Houndmasters with trinkets can keep the big nasties locked down for several turns in a row, even in the face of mounting resistances.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do houndmasters have a stun that affects more than half the group?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

They have a bleed skill, Hound's Harry, which affects more than half the group. It hits all ranks.

The Hound Master's stun only hits an individual target, but it's still very powerful and reliable.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 2, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jose posted:

No, but their single-target truncheon (as far as I'm aware) has the single highest stun-rate in the game.

One of the most effective parties you can roll with has two Houndmasters in front keeping the heavy hitters perpetually on lockdown while everyone else murders the little shrimps in the back. Back when the Weald was the place to grind for parchment, many an expedition was spared the horrors of roaming giants swinging entire trees by retired lawmen and their faithful doggies preventing them from doing anything ever for the whole combat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the "morris dancer" party also works well outside of the weald; two men with sticks whacking away, and two women in the back rows casting poison

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Currently about 20 weeks into a new file after not playing this game since back in EA when only the original set of classes were available. Progressing slowly but steadily I guess on upgrading hamlet while figuring out what classes/comps I like to run. Probably far from an optimal setup for late game but Vestal/Jester/Jester/Hellion has been really fun in apprentice dungeons while not letting stress build up too much on them. Got enough ranks in the skill up/gear up hamlet upgrades that I can get level 1 people showing up in the stage coach so switching priorities to all the "make poo poo cheaper" stuff for awhile.

Main things that I still feel like I have no real idea what I'm doing with are figuring out what poo poo on trinkets is really worth looking for, and how much poo poo is worth taking on a general run during provisions. I always end up either overstocking on herbs or holy water or whatever and having to discard stuff mid-run to make space on anything above a short mission, or run out of poo poo halfway in. I do have a chart of what shows up in each dungeon so I'm trying to prioritize what I bring based on that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zerilan posted:

Currently about 20 weeks into a new file after not playing this game since back in EA when only the original set of classes were available. Progressing slowly but steadily I guess on upgrading hamlet while figuring out what classes/comps I like to run. Probably far from an optimal setup for late game but Vestal/Jester/Jester/Hellion has been really fun in apprentice dungeons while not letting stress build up too much on them. Got enough ranks in the skill up/gear up hamlet upgrades that I can get level 1 people showing up in the stage coach so switching priorities to all the "make poo poo cheaper" stuff for awhile.

Main things that I still feel like I have no real idea what I'm doing with are figuring out what poo poo on trinkets is really worth looking for, and how much poo poo is worth taking on a general run during provisions. I always end up either overstocking on herbs or holy water or whatever and having to discard stuff mid-run to make space on anything above a short mission, or run out of poo poo halfway in. I do have a chart of what shows up in each dungeon so I'm trying to prioritize what I bring based on that.

There's a lot of guides out there that say you should bring X holy waters and Y herbs and so forth, and they're all fine, but they're based on statistical probability of what you'll find in that dungeon. Sometimes you run into a dungeon where despite the odds, you just get a million knife racks and no meat tables, so you'll run out of bandages and have too many herbs. You'll never luck into bringing exactly the correct amount of everything on the button, so just expect to occasionally run out of one thing while ending up with too much of something else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zerilan posted:

I use this one which I agree with most of the time. Its suggestions are based on more than just curios so it sometimes suggests bringing bandages or antivenom in areas without curios that need them, which I choose not to do if I have a plague doctor. I also find you can generally get away with 1-2 fewer torches than it suggests.

It also helps you make judgment calls on what to drop when your inventory gets full. Such as if you have 1 bandage and there's only one kind of curio in the dungeon that needs bandages, it's probably safe to drop it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've never really used holy water or herbs but i get mileage out of bandages and anti venom

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
both holy water and herbs have curios that can remove negative quirks so they are definetly worth it depending on the dungeon type.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

i've never really used holy water or herbs but i get mileage out of bandages and anti venom

'erbs remove all debuffs, including camp ones from hellion skills

also feed them to coral in the cove, and anything fleshy elsewhere.

holy water goes on shrines

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bandages aren't that vital IMO. With a good healer (julia's head) and stun abilities you can counteract the giant crab and other bleed/blight bullshit the game throws at you. Additionally, you'll still get hit with a lot of bleed attacks when the RNG decides to throw Arterial Pinch after Arterial Pinch at your party, making you lose a lot of bandages in the process.

I basically don't consider it a good defense for the item/loot slot the bandages use.

Now, anti-debuffs can be very interesting, especially with the Hellion & her combat/camping skills.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

double nine posted:

I basically don't consider it a good defense for the item/loot slot the bandages use.

Now, anti-debuffs can be very interesting, especially with the Hellion & her combat/camping skills.

The Plague Doctor's Battlefield Medicine fulfills the role of a bandage, so it also depends on party composition, too.

Sometimes it's worth it to clear debuffs off the Hellion with herbs, if you're in a tough spot. Bring lots of extra herbs for your Hellion. :420:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is a cove trap that slaps you with something horrible like -20% dodge chance and -8 speed for 12 rounds, and you can bet your rear end that thing is getting herbed away if there's an imminent room battle

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jose posted:

is movement shifting really that good? i mean i know it sucks for mine to be moved but i've not really bothered with it outside of stuns

Say that there's a cultist priestess in back being an rear end. So I punch a skeleton to the back row, stunning the skeleton and forcing the priestess forward. Then I have the Crusader/Leper drive the fucker into the mud.

Say you got a swinetaur setting up for a charge. He needs to be in back to do his big move. He's to tough to pull forward, so have the bounty hunter punch one of his friends in the mouth and send them to the back, denying the swinetaur his big move.

Moving enemies lets you control situations that could go very bad otherwise, as well as let you set up strategies of your own. Many enemies can't use their best attacks if they are moved out of certain positions. Figure out how to take advantage of it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Is there any way to see what positions enemy moves are effective from short of a shitload of trial and error or like, the wiki?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Other than the wiki, I don't think there is. I do wish this game had some sort of bestiary, it would really help.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The most important gimmick I learned is that pirahna dudes in the cove only attack rows 1-2 if they are in rows 1-2 (seaward slash) and they only attack rows 3-4 if they are in rows 3-4 (spearfishing)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Skeleton King posted:

I do wish this game had some sort of bestiary, it would really help.

what do you think Deviant Tastes represents

e: sorry misread your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm a big fan of the bounty hunter ranged bleed because it does so much damage once its on but maybe i'm using it to guarantee they die on their next turn when a melee hit might not. also i like loading bosses full of dots if i can