Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Use the shopping carts! Vroom vroom! If you've got a beefy enough character you can grab furniture and ram zombies out of the way while holding it, and hope you dont tire out before you get yourself free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Synthbuttrange posted:

Use the shopping carts! Vroom vroom! If you've got a beefy enough character you can grab furniture and ram zombies out of the way while holding it, and hope you dont tire out before you get yourself free!

I will next time! I'm still learning the controls so I kept hitting the use button instead of attack, and just...really inept play. I'm slowly getting better, though!

....so of course for my last run I started with a kung-fu master, who convinced her gun-crazy tagalong to stay when he tried to make her leave - and we picked up both of my familiar characters and had a party going, with car theft and adventure -

And then the gun dude died.

And then -

Which led to Eriol calling for someone to leave the car.

And then we had a really bad run in a siege, and I was down to just Lotte...until we picked up Breanne. And I was all "phew!" because two is better than one ----

e: Breanne was not prepared for a cabin rescue, either - met up with the other person, had a sledgehammer - got cornered by falling zombies and died. :rip:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 31, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont think sledgehammers break, but you need a ton of strength and fitness to use them effectively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's cold, but if you have Friend Of Dog, that's basically what dogs are for. They're disposable party members who happen to also be very good at hit and run attacks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Moar like Fiend of Dog, you monster. :colbert:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Dogs are awesome because you can let them solo missions, killing like 2 zombies total and still getting most of the loot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got a cat last run, and holy poo poo it just ripped everything apart. It practically soloed the log cabin siege and only got a little tired near the end.

Then I killed it trying to ramp over some bandits. :saddowns:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
No gently caress cats. They do real great in combat but then they just FLIP OUT FOR NO REASON AND KILL YOUR TEAM. Or they say F this and sit down.

Like seriously I was doing well and then the cat flipped out and killed my only living human.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Are the cats you can recruit (from the witch, I assume?) as good as the Cat Lady's cats? Little fuckers are zombie blenders.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

No gently caress cats. They do real great in combat but then they just FLIP OUT FOR NO REASON AND KILL YOUR TEAM. Or they say F this and sit down.

Like seriously I was doing well and then the cat flipped out and killed my only living human.

I'm guessing that's because they start with bad morale? Seems like that should be fixable if you baby them and aren't too unlucky.

They probably also have awful loyalty, but I've never been able to see their stats so :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like a perfectly ordinary cat.

Also I told the witch to COOL IT

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sounds like a perfectly ordinary cat.

Also I told the witch to COOL IT

The best COOL IT!! so far was at the shotgun merchant for me.
It worked, he gave me an auto shotgun and some ammo.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ya know, 2016 was a good year for roguelikes. Cogmind dropped more updates, Caves of Qud went full-time, Dungeonmans got out huge updates (go wizardmans!), Demon's plugging along - what am I missing? What cool roguelikes hit this year that we should be thankful for?

I don't want to do a best of the year, because there's too many good roguelikes out there, and more coming - Jupiter Hell's kickstarter funded! :toot:

But a retrospective is good, because oh man. What a year!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just want to wish you all a bug-free (well, except the bug that drops the Sword of Ultimate Unstoppable Badassery right next to your bed), procedurally generated Happy New Year, you ASCII driven mad code monkeys!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Was this also the year that Metal Gear Solid RL came out and Ocelot did his Revolver twirl?

Elona+ sure seems much better at handling the grind than the last time I played it. They addressed the soul-sucking magic grinding, so that you could spend points on certain spells or pay trainers to train an entire group of spells. The goose pet can lay two plats and a flock of them can build you up for the early/mid game until jobs finally have a good plat payoff.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ya know, 2016 was a good year for roguelikes. Cogmind dropped more updates, Caves of Qud went full-time, Dungeonmans got out huge updates (go wizardmans!), Demon's plugging along - what am I missing? What cool roguelikes hit this year that we should be thankful for?

The Jupiter Hell kickstarter met its goal, and Death Road to Canada came out. The roguelike genre in general is super-vibrant.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have to say that roguelikes (either close to or loose from that definition) have become my new favourite genre.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have to say that roguelikes (either close to or loose from that definition) have become my new favourite genre.

it's nice that it feels like people are actually trying with the new roguelikes they put out these days, because for a little while there it really felt like devs were just cranking out turds with 'procedural generation' slapped on there and as a major selling point with no real semblance of fun or anything interesting. in a way the fad has died down, probably for the best.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
It was interesting to learn yesterday that after calling 2016 the Year of the Roguelike, RPS completely dropped the genre from their annual release preview for 2017. Still, in general the (real roguelike) community is continuing to produce a lot of good stuff and it's only going to get better this year and beyond. With Unormal and HandofLuke both going full time, Caves of Qud will finally be finished in style :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kyzrati posted:

It was interesting to learn yesterday that after calling 2016 the Year of the Roguelike, RPS completely dropped the genre from their annual release preview for 2017. Still, in general the (real roguelike) community is continuing to produce a lot of good stuff and it's only going to get better this year and beyond. With Unormal and HandofLuke both going full time, Caves of Qud will finally be finished in style :v:

Finished? :crossarms:

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Haha, yes yes... well, "finished" in the sense that the main story will be in there and it's out of EA. (Basically the same situation Cogmind will be in this year.) But yeah there's nothing stopping us from, you know, adding More Stuff because ROGUELIKES.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
MidBoss is another one that will get situated in 2017---it should be pretty drat fine come the time of it given there's been a ton of work the dev has been putting in on it over the past few years. http://www.midboss.net/ Only has one tangential bit of competition of a sort too, which is spiffy for adventuring mightily within a niche: http://possession2.com/

Streets of Rogue should arrive big time in the latter half: http://streetsofrogue.tumblr.com/post/155215890720/2017-to-do-list

2017 will also see Death Road to Canada get MUCH better: http://steamcommunity.com/games/deathroad/announcements/detail/512681301231286301 New progression system will surely do the business alongside the rest.

Even ADOM will likely, finally finish out all the remaining content from the crowdfunding drive especially thanks to the P&P books finally getting done and shipped so long as Biskup doesn't break anything else dancing!

2016 will be hard to match in terms of the Roguelike spread, but 2017 surely has a fighting chance.

We still need Caverns of Xaskazien II to make a roaring comeback from the void though else the year might be declared invalid and in moral violation...

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

because you can play it for free here: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Crosscountry_Canada_1991

(and also like a zillion other old games)

and one of those zillion other old games is Warlords 2

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kyzrati posted:

It was interesting to learn yesterday that after calling 2016 the Year of the Roguelike, RPS completely dropped the genre from their annual release preview for 2017.

I mean, obviously. You can't have two Years of the Roguelike in a row. That'd just be silly!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

Haha, yes yes... well, "finished" in the sense that the main story will be in there and it's out of EA. (Basically the same situation Cogmind will be in this year.) But yeah there's nothing stopping us from, you know, adding More Stuff because ROGUELIKES.

Gonna be such a cool roguelike year. Gonna stream some Dungeonmans this week, then maybe I'll take a crack at streaming Cogmind! Happy new years everyone.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anyone on the fence about DEMON TRUCK should get it right now just for the soundtrack, holy poo poo.

:rock: Hail Satan :rock:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a new favorite Death Road to Canada character. The CEO of Cold Steel Knives can show up at a trader camp and try to sell you a Cold Steel Broadsword, and you can ask for a demo to have them tag along for a day and they spew informercial pitch fragments while massacring zombies with their giant broadsword that they then try to sell you. I don't know if the sprite is locked into being a vaguely Ron Swanson-looking middle-aged man, but if so, that's even better because it fits perfectly :allears:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I thought you all might appreciate this pic of my first ever Curious Expedition game completion.

Expedition 6 was pretty disastrous though, so I deserved it. I had 4/5 party members with me with a bunch of golden trinkets when I discovered the golden pyramid in expedition 6. One whiskey left and 3 question marks in close proximity with one golden seal left to activate. Cool I got this. Oh the other seal is on the other side of the map in a one tile wide valley surrounded by lava spitting volcanoes. Long story short I made it back to the pyramid with my loyal dog and 2 moonstones.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I bought one way heroics plus in the winter sale anybody have any beginner tips? I played about 10 hours of the console spin-off and the original seems way different.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am loving Caves of Qud, but so far have lost every character with good potential to Chaingun Turrets shortly after entering the Rusted Arch. The Sultan update has added a nice little dungeon to clear before going to the arch after clearing Red Rock and the Rust Wells though, and I have been getting lucky with some cool early game artifacts from it, and some crazy fights at the bottom.

I have recently been trying a Triple Jointed high agility gunslinger/small blade user with high Int for skill points and getting into tinkering (you can set your AGI to 24 in character creation and use Triple Jointed to hit Agi 29 without needing to put a single point into it).

However high DV doesn't seem to be enough to deal with Chainguns.

Has anyone had any success with a heavily armoured 4 armed axe wielder? I am trying to stay away from Esper builds at the moment as I have played them a lot and want to take a break.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phrosphor posted:

I am loving Caves of Qud, but so far have lost every character with good potential to Chaingun Turrets shortly after entering the Rusted Arch. The Sultan update has added a nice little dungeon to clear before going to the arch after clearing Red Rock and the Rust Wells though, and I have been getting lucky with some cool early game artifacts from it, and some crazy fights at the bottom.

I have recently been trying a Triple Jointed high agility gunslinger/small blade user with high Int for skill points and getting into tinkering (you can set your AGI to 24 in character creation and use Triple Jointed to hit Agi 29 without needing to put a single point into it).

Has anyone had any success with a heavily armoured 4 armed axe wielder? I am trying to stay away from Esper builds at the moment as I have played them a lot and want to take a break.

I don't have any suggestions for you, but would you mind sharing your character number? I'd love to try that one out.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The biggest thing that helps against chaingun turrets is getting a glowstone asap so you can actually see them sooner, other than that you could always get that mutation that disables nearby artifacts/robots. As a general rule of thumb dont even try messing with chaingun turrets until you have 9+ armor and/or 25+ dv.

4 armed axe users are pretty solid, I generally prefer to have all the offhands be short blades for the doubled chance to attack but I've had decent late game success with an axe in each had for a chance to get multiple cleaves in one flurry.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

Early game you're not gonna be able to pump your DV up to ludicrous enough a degree to become (mostly) unhittable, and since it basically requires totally tossing aside your AV you might want to focus more on armor until you can get the gear put together to have a close to maximally effective dodge tank. Presuming all slots free and no AGI bonuses or skills, going with maximum evade for your equipment would net you 21 evade. You can kinda scrape by with 10-14 DV against weaker opponents, but things like chaingun turrets will shred you as you already noted, and for anything much past Grit Gate you're probably going to want at least 18 (and preferably a lot more) in my experience.

In terms of gear, you should be looking to get your hands on anything Elastyne for your extremities (mostly +2 dv, except for the skull cap), an Elastyne Skin Suit (1AV, 3 DV), Flexivest (2 AV, 3 DV) or Nanovest (4 AV, 2 DV) for your body; you probably won't find them early unless you luck out, so you'll probably have to go with Woven Tunic or Overalls (1AV, 2 DV), which have the downside of not being tinkerable; Snakeskin Armets, an Issarachi Veil, and most masks except the vinewood sap mask/gas mask are nice (+1 DV per), but also can't be altered. In terms of cloaks, the rainboweave cloak is the best dodge cloak in the game as far as I'm aware (+3 DV) but also it's pretty heavy at 15 lbs; Portable Beehives are, astonishingly, lighter, provide infinite honey and 2 DV, though they also eat up your "Floating Nearby" slot; the Praetorians cloak is 2 DV and much lighter than either rainboweave or the beehive at 3 lbs.

Speaking of the floating slot, if you don't care about having light, you can shove a light-obfuscating lens on there for an extra point of DV as well--weirdly it's tinkerable, so you make it wooly or reinforced or whatnot. Also, Acrobatics is pretty valuable, offering +3 DV (2 from "spry" and 1 from "tumble".) If you somehow had all of this right at level 1 with 29 AGI, you'd have 30 DV, which would probably make you effectively invulnerable to most early game threats.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Against most early- to midgame enemies, trying to get reasonably high AV and DV will be much more effective than stacking a ton of DV but being unable to tank a particularly violent fart. DV gouging only really pays off in the lategame when you can crank it up to absolutely ridiculous levels, in my experience.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't have any suggestions for you, but would you mind sharing your character number? I'd love to try that one out.

I will dig it out when I get home, I have had 4 really good runs with the build, the beginning is very awkward until you can get Shank. You have to heavily rely on your pistols which is tough when ammo is scarce. The moderately successful runs have involved getting lucky and finding a stash of slugs or bumping into wandering trade caravans that have carried stuff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Clever Spambot posted:

The biggest thing that helps against chaingun turrets is getting a glowstone asap so you can actually see them sooner, other than that you could always get that mutation that disables nearby artifacts/robots. As a general rule of thumb dont even try messing with chaingun turrets until you have 9+ armor and/or 25+ dv.
the first thing is why I always take night vision. also freezing hands lets you kill chaingun turrets fairly early, but to be fair freezing hands works against basically everything

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

IronicDongz posted:

the first thing is why I always take night vision. also freezing hands lets you kill chaingun turrets fairly early, but to be fair freezing hands works against basically everything

Yeah, my problem I guess is that I specifically avoiding common mutations like freezing/burning hands, Temporal Fuge, Light Manip etc. Just used them a lot and want to try new things. (maybe hamstringing myself too much..)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How does the hunger and thirst system in Qud work? In particular, how fast do you accumulate thirst, and how much water does a recycling suit generate?