Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Reene posted:

No blood. Two fakeouts in one chapter? Eehh.

Loving the hand though.

You do realize that someone who's been stabbed through shirts and a thick jacket is not going to immediately show blood right? It takes time to soak through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

RIP Smitty, died of rage after stubbing his toe and not being able to skip a 30 second ad on youtube.
Starved to death since he never learned basic life skills, like finding the canteen, knowing where the cutlery is kept, or actually aiming cutlery at your mouth instead of just shoving the spoon in the general direction of your face.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
2016 claims another!

:q:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We're in 2017 now!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The grim spectre of 2016 has a long reach indeed. It will not be denied now that Smitty is in its clutches.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So the tank lost aggro, the controller goes down, and guess what's starting?

The add phase.

Wipe it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Video game reference

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The blade is definitely in deep. It's real. For an 18"+ partying dagger, there ought to be a bit of metal sticking out his back.

drat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I meant parrying bit I'll leave that as is.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Well, at least George gets a new boyfriend out of this.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Elfy the River Ghost says, "Don't forget to take your shoes off when you come ashore!"

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Could one of you all do me a favor and break down why this stuff is happening? I've followed Gunnerkrigg for a long time but I feel like I lost the script somewhere.

Annie and Kat learned that the Court did Jeanne dirty and shot her Anwyn lover with some kind of soul trap arrow. Now, Jeanne's vengeful ghost is hostile to anything that approaches. She's tried to kill Annie a few times and traded shots with Parley.

So what are the children trying to do? Like they've been training and preparing to "face" Jeanne. They did a faerie glamour fakeout to distract the ghost while they retrieved the arrow. Are they trying to free the Anwyn's spirit out of the goodness of their hearts and put Jeanne to rest? Are they trying to banish her in some way? I feel like I missed something. I trust it will make sense eventually, but why is anyone doing anything here?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

Could one of you all do me a favor and break down why this stuff is happening? I've followed Gunnerkrigg for a long time but I feel like I lost the script somewhere.

Annie and Kat learned that the Court did Jeanne dirty and shot her Anwyn lover with some kind of soul trap arrow. Now, Jeanne's vengeful ghost is hostile to anything that approaches. She's tried to kill Annie a few times and traded shots with Parley.

So what are the children trying to do? Like they've been training and preparing to "face" Jeanne. They did a faerie glamour fakeout to distract the ghost while they retrieved the arrow. Are they trying to free the Anwyn's spirit out of the goodness of their hearts and put Jeanne to rest? Are they trying to banish her in some way? I feel like I missed something. I trust it will make sense eventually, but why is anyone doing anything here?

They know the arrow has something to do with why Jeanne's spirit is trapped in the Annan Waters. Evidently they believed that just pulling the arrow out of the river would free her.

But then the arrow turned out to be a soul-stealing pocket dimension with an inscrutable labyrinth and the vengeful shade of the Forest resident contained therein, which kind of wasted a lot of their time, and now even though it's been pulled Jeanne hasn't gotten any less murderghosty.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Their goal is to usher Jeanne to the ether. Annie is an afterlife guide by birth, and was charged with the job by Muut.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Their goal is to free Jeanne and send her into the ether (and her boyfriend too). What was done to them was horrible and Annie has wanted to put it right for a very long time, and the others all joined in on the plan.

But they've made a few miscalculations. They didn't know what the arrow actually was or how it worked, which resulted in Annie being unable to actually do anything with it. And Jeanne is a lot more powerful than even they had bargained on. They had four whole levels of protection against her (Blue's illusion, Robot, Smitty's luck, and Parley's fighting ability/teleportation) and Jeanne has now managed to overcome all of them. Did they think that removing the arrow might in itself make her less hostile? It's not clear but it's apparent that things haven't gone as they planned.

There's also the wrinkle that I expect to come into play once Jeanne has been given peace (which is still where I think this will be going) - the founders had a reason for doing this horrible thing in the first place. Whatever their reason it doesn't justify what they did, and I think Annie and the others are right to want to free her, if a bit foolish in the manner they went about it. But that doesn't mean there won't be consequences once she isn't there to guard against whatever specific threat the founders placed her there for.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kat and Annie feel that they need to "undo" this crime. Annie might be further motivated by her psychopomp instincts.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Regy knows what's up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They are all testing the theory that rando kids with zero life skills can one up all the adults, with the obvious tragic consequences.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mulva posted:

They are all testing the theory that rando kids with zero life skills can one up all the adults, with the obvious tragic consequences.

Tragic for the nerd adults who realise their lives have been pointless, maybe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I thought they were trying to prove that Jones is a robot?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly what they should have done was go to Jones once they knew the whole story. She did task Annie with investigating it, but I doubt she thought Annie would go so far as to try and free Jeanne all on her own.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Splicer posted:

Starved to death since he never learned basic life skills, like finding the canteen, knowing where the cutlery is kept, or actually aiming cutlery at your mouth instead of just shoving the spoon in the general direction of your face.

Yeah not even, I'm thinking more important stuff like making sure your dilznik is out of the way when you do up the zipper. Painful times ahead for Smitty. And his doctor will be Anthony "Has Done Everything Wrong" Carver.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tenebrais posted:

Their goal is to usher Jeanne to the ether. Annie is an afterlife guide by birth, and was charged with the job by Muut.

Didn't Muut say something to the tune of "be glad that glow ain't over here, Jesus, Annie, its dangerous" ??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Didn't Muut say something to the tune of "be glad that glow ain't over here, Jesus, Annie, its dangerous" ??

He did, but he wasn't being entirely forthcoming. Annie got more of the story out of him much later:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=528

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regy Rusty posted:

He did, but he wasn't being entirely forthcoming. Annie got more of the story out of him much later:

The text below this comic has always made me think. "One of the words on this page is more important than the others."

Maybe it's "waiting"? Because seems like she's about to get out and wreck some faces.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ConfusedUs posted:

The text below this comic has always made me think. "One of the words on this page is more important than the others."

Maybe it's "waiting"? Because seems like she's about to get out and wreck some faces.

It's "you" in the first panel.

Because it's the only one that is bold.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ConfusedUs posted:

It's waiting because it was a clue to what her deal is. She's been waiting for green dude, which we didn't know at the time. Now we know!

e: I think green dude us going to climb out and be all "Hey bae! :swoon:" and she'll be all :swoon: and they'll :swoon: off into the ether while Smitty suffocates in his own body fluids.

e2: I've never gotten around to putting Smitty in my phone's autocorrect. Seems a bit pointless now.

e3: Know what's not pointless?

Smitty's torso.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Shame they don't have a handy surgeon.
:v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Regy Rusty posted:

Honestly what they should have done was go to Jones once they knew the whole story. She did task Annie with investigating it, but I doubt she thought Annie would go so far as to try and free Jeanne all on her own.

You don't know that Jones isn't about to show up as part of their incredibly convoluted multi-phase attack.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

You don't know that Jones isn't about to show up as part of their incredibly convoluted multi-phase attack.

Suddenly there's an explosion of dirt, and out of the massive dust cloud walks Jones, who decided to get down to where everyone else is by simply stepping off the edge of the cliff.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Given that Parley is about to take out the Coyote knife and slice Jeanne in two, if Jones shows up now it will only be to grade them on their extracurricular activities (C- ambitious goals, sloppy execution :v:).

Splicer posted:

e3: Know what's not pointless?

Smitty's torso.

Brutal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Given that Parley is about to take out the Coyote knife and slice Jeanne in two, if Jones shows up now it will only be to grade them on their extracurricular activities (C- ambitious goals, sloppy execution :v:).

Jeanne will protest that Smitty's execution was not sloppy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Mattress posted:

Jeanne will protest that Smitty's execution was not sloppy.
drat

In both :drat: and drat I wish I'd thought of that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yes please

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Lurdiak posted:

Jones has no etheric presence whatsoever. Wouldn't Jeanne be unable perceive anything to attack and Jones have nothing to interact with her?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lunar Suite posted:

Jones has no etheric presence whatsoever. Wouldn't Jeanne be unable perceive anything to attack and Jones have nothing to interact with her?

Jeanne has some physical presence. It's sticking out of Smitty right now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

Jones has interacted with Ghosts and Psychopomps before. She can't go into the ether but that doesn't mean she can't interact with etheric entities that exist in the physical world.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
e: nvm. Got my J's mixed up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh.

Going back a few pages later, it turns out Muut wasn't simply reserved when Kat scolded him for leaving Annie to cross her mother over, he was petrified in fear:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=531

(or at least that's how I want to read it now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ConfusedUs posted:

I always thought it was "we". Muut wasn't acting by himself, and while he might simply have been talking about the other psychopomps, it's possible there's more entities involved.