Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Davethulhu posted:

I entered last night around 9 pacific, but didn't fight my first battle until this morning. I started at rank ~4500, and got above 100 before I had to start using my arena team. I'm around 30 now with 180k currency. With my finish last time, I'm assured of unlocking vader tie, but the higher I finish the easier it'll be to get it to 5* next time around. I'd have to finish top 10 to get it 5* this time, which is probably not going to happen.

I absolutely need 5* this time around so I can start earning Zetas (I'm so close), and for that I need top 10, but I'm aiming for 4th so that I can get 6*. I've seen much worse shards than the one I'm on, so it's possible, right now top 5 is ~5k points, and with 2.5 hours left, I can probably climb that high. I'm at 3450 points and I've used my worst two teams (W2 is almost to 1k/hero/refresh) and right now I'm running S3 (droids) at 500 per.

PS: I have 470k of my initial ~530k remaining. I'm feeling pretty good, given that I haven't touched Empire or Wiggs, and have two untouched teams that are fairly decent if I put my best mods on them (JKA and Phasma leads).

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Does either IGD/QGJ have space so I can suck up raid coins? Currently lounging around in GGA and have hit a gear wall.

I was able to put together a pretty good rebel team (wiggs/STH/Leia/AA) which let me get EP. That team and piles of ally points also let me grab enough shards to get Vader's TIE.

Now I just need to up all their gear levels.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in 1st by 200 with 2 hrs left but out of AP. Hopefully I can hang onto top 25.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I encountered several Zeta-lead teams this tournament.

Zeta Vader, Zeta QGJ Jedi's (With GK), Zeta Cody, and Zeta Maul.

gently caress these bullshit machines.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I encountered several Zeta-lead teams this tournament.

Zeta Vader, Zeta QGJ Jedi's (With GK), Zeta Cody, and Zeta Maul.

gently caress these bullshit machines.

Apparently they reset the cap to 1k again...LOL. Anyways, 45 minutes left, holding 24th with 4600, and just started running my empire team, which I will run until I have no more time...360k to go.

e:
Forgot to actually respond to the above quote...I ran into one QGJ zeta team, and that was awful so I skipped it for the rest of the tournament. Otherwise my empire team held up against basically everything (usually with 3+ surviving). Towards the end I was trying to find any teams that didn't have Shoretrooper or Baze because I could kill those teams faster and that's always nice. Also, I think I made 12th. I should've started about an hour earlier, but...at least I get an almost 5* Vader....I think there were two cheaters in my shard though, and I've reported them, so there's a small chance I'll get lucky and get the rewards for top 10. That's only if CG gives a poo poo, which I don't think they do.

e2: We get some of the biggest derps in TI somehow, I don't get it.

sithmasterpizza [2:06 PM]
@maraxus what's best TI timeout team with out GK

malgrin [2:07 PM]
There isn't one
you could try something with Zarriss, but I'm pretty sure GK is essential to the whole thing

sithmasterpizza [2:08 PM]
I think I might run boba L, fives, aayla, b2, Zarriss
sithmasterpizza [2:08 PM]
is that good or bad

malgrin [2:08 PM]
How does boba lead help you get a timeout?

sithmasterpizza [2:09 PM]
Idk what do I do
To make it good

malgrin [2:09 PM]
go experiment with something and tell us

sithmasterpizza [2:09 PM]
@maraxus: do u know

malgrin [2:10 PM]
He says that GK is essential

maraxus [2:10 PM]
No time out team without GK

malgrin [2:10 PM]
^^

sithmasterpizza [2:10 PM]
What could I run

maraxus [2:10 PM]
Boba aayla bariss chaze

sithmasterpizza [2:10 PM]
Until I get GK
What's it a option
Without Chaze
I have baze not chirrup feared

P.S. This guy got removed from my TI guild, Foxtrot, and moved into the "alts" guild we have -- they do 7* Rancor and Normal AAT. Also, weird backstory, sithmasterpizza is like 14, but someone from his old guild gave him this ridiculously whaley account for him to play on because he wasn't going to play it anymore, so now there's a 14 year old with a pretty crazy account (I think he got it in like August and hasn't spent any money, so it's not as whaley as it used to be), but he has no clue how to actually play this game, and doesn't understand anything. If I had a vote, it would be to remove him from TI. He was saying he might quit so he could get GK, and I wanted to encourage him to leave so we wouldn't have to listen to him anymore. Oh, also fun fact, he has a youtube channel and if you want to listen to the worst thing ever, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELC7BC6rm4

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 2, 2017

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

P.S. This guy got removed from my TI guild, Foxtrot, and moved into the "alts" guild we have -- they do 7* Rancor and Normal AAT. Also, weird backstory, sithmasterpizza is like 14, but someone from his old guild gave him this ridiculously whaley account for him to play on because he wasn't going to play it anymore, so now there's a 14 year old with a pretty crazy account (I think he got it in like August and hasn't spent any money, so it's not as whaley as it used to be), but he has no clue how to actually play this game, and doesn't understand anything. If I had a vote, it would be to remove him from TI. He was saying he might quit so he could get GK, and I wanted to encourage him to leave so we wouldn't have to listen to him anymore. Oh, also fun fact, he has a youtube channel and if you want to listen to the worst thing ever, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELC7BC6rm4

How does he have 6,618 refresh tickets. What the gently caress is this. How does he have 59k Cantina credits?! Does he not understand how RNG works?!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Is his name barron trump? I hear he's good with the computers.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

iGestalt posted:

How does he have 6,618 refresh tickets. What the gently caress is this. How does he have 59k Cantina credits?! Does he not understand how RNG works?!

Well, nothing has been added to the cantina store in forever except credits for ships, so I don't think he's had to buy anything in there for a long time. The original owner had I think every single hero at 7* before handing this account over (again, awhile ago), so he doesn't have the newer heroes maxed or anything like that, but cantina credits won't help with that. Additionally, I have 5500 sim tickets. For those of us that started early, and got the crystal train rolling, it's impossible to run out of sim tickets because we've been buying 2-4 regular refreshes and 1-2 cantina refreshes for a year, on top of what you get for the daily quests. With any alts I've created and messed around with, I've had to buy sim tickets, so I understand how you have none, but for people who do a lot of energy refreshes, it isn't a problem. I'm down to just 2 regular and usually 1 cantina at this point -- slowly saving up crystals this way, but I'm still not really losing sim tickets at this point.

No, he understands nothing. Did you not see the conversation I posted above? I told him that you can't have timeout without GK, Maraxus, who is one of the whaliest whales and designed the timeout comp (as well as many other best meta comps), says there isn't another option, and he's still like "yeah, but how do I do it without GK?"

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Malgrin posted:

Well, nothing has been added to the cantina store in forever except credits for ships, so I don't think he's had to buy anything in there for a long time. The original owner had I think every single hero at 7* before handing this account over (again, awhile ago), so he doesn't have the newer heroes maxed or anything like that, but cantina credits won't help with that. Additionally, I have 5500 sim tickets. For those of us that started early, and got the crystal train rolling, it's impossible to run out of sim tickets because we've been buying 2-4 regular refreshes and 1-2 cantina refreshes for a year, on top of what you get for the daily quests. With any alts I've created and messed around with, I've had to buy sim tickets, so I understand how you have none, but for people who do a lot of energy refreshes, it isn't a problem. I'm down to just 2 regular and usually 1 cantina at this point -- slowly saving up crystals this way, but I'm still not really losing sim tickets at this point.

No, he understands nothing. Did you not see the conversation I posted above? I told him that you can't have timeout without GK, Maraxus, who is one of the whaliest whales and designed the timeout comp (as well as many other best meta comps), says there isn't another option, and he's still like "yeah, but how do I do it without GK?"

I keep running out of refresh tickets lately and do 2 normal / 1 cantina refreshes a day and have been here from almost the start. I must be doing something wrong...

Dude seems like a typical teenage moron who will probably sell that account on Ebay eventually.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Ended up in 10th, which got me vaders ship at 5*. Not enough ship credits to level it fully yet, but even at level 65 it seems quite good in my team of sf, maul, gs, and boba

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

iGestalt posted:

Dude seems like a typical teenage moron who will probably sell that account on Ebay eventually.

That would be the smart thing to do.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That unresistable target lock is pretty sick. You can rotate targets and have everybody perma-locked by turn 5.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Is general Grievous worth getting? I see him pretty regularly in the fleet shipments but never in anyone's squads so I'm guessing maybe not?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm very tempted to make another account on an Android emulator and just cheat

I tried to find a functional cheat today to do that, but didn't have any luck. I guess I'm bad at cheating :(

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Couple of babby questions about Arenas, as I'm kicking rear end and having fun, but could kick more rear end. I got my STH today, and my GS is up to 3 stars, so I'm shifting from using characters because I have to, towards trying to assemble a more optimal team. I still don't have many options for leader bonuses.

What's better?

Option 1: STH, RG, QGJ, JC, GS - this has two tanks, STH and RG.

Option 2: STH ~or~ RG, QGJ, JC, GS, IG-86 - Pick a tank (RG or STH?) and add IG-86 for crazy burst assist-spam abuse from GS, QGJ and IG-86 working in concert.

Another question: Do I spend all my Cantina energy on GS until he hits seven stars, before trying to move on to picking up a Lando?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Numismancer posted:

Couple of babby questions about Arenas, as I'm kicking rear end and having fun, but could kick more rear end. I got my STH today, and my GS is up to 3 stars, so I'm shifting from using characters because I have to, towards trying to assemble a more optimal team. I still don't have many options for leader bonuses.

What's better?

Option 2: STH ~or~ RG, QGJ, JC, GS, IG-86 - Pick a tank (RG or STH?) and add IG-86 for crazy burst assist-spam abuse from GS, QGJ and IG-86 working in concert.

Another question: Do I spend all my Cantina energy on GS until he hits seven stars, before trying to move on to picking up a Lando?

Lando is much more important right now than GS. Lando is a scoundrel & a rebel

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd switch to Lando ASAP because he's badass and useful for a lot of things (he's a scoundrel AND a rebel).

The arena question is probably gonna come down to trial and error/personal preference. I like running 2 tanks (I use STH/Sun Fac) because it can really screw a team that doesn't have great buff removal. It helps that both of those guys do other super useful things. I'd also give the edge to RG over ig-86 because he's slightly more useful long term.

e: i'm only lvl 76 and thus not in the end game meta, so my arena advice is from that point of view.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
We have 2 spots open in IGD, only requirement is at least one 7* guy so you can get raid rewards

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Crap, I was focusing on GS as per the OP, I'll swap to Lando-farming. Still, GS has been handy to have, so no regrets. Thanks!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

two_step posted:

We have 2 spots open in IGD, only requirement is at least one 7* guy so you can get raid rewards

Can you bring me on from QGJ? I've got 33 7* and I need to start doing heroic raids. My code is 599-982-819

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Numismancer posted:

Crap, I was focusing on GS as per the OP, I'll swap to Lando-farming. Still, GS has been handy to have, so no regrets. Thanks!

Huh, I just read through the OP again, and didn't see me say to get GS really anywhere. He's kinda at the bottom of the heroes you should absolutely get from Cantina. I'd definitely put Lando and TFP ahead of everyone else. If you can point out where that is, I'll change it (it's ridiculously long at this point and I very well could have missed it -- GS used to be the best level 1 cantina hero).

e: I'm editing the OP right now anyways, haven't seen it anywhere, but I'm moving things around. I'm trying to figure out what should be in the second post, aiming for stuff like raids, ships, and other late game content (e.g. have a level 1-70 section and an end-game section).

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

MichiganCubbie posted:

Can you bring me on from QGJ? I've got 33 7* and I need to start doing heroic raids. My code is 599-982-819

You have to leave QGJ before I can invite you. It's late now, I can try again in the morning. Or another officer can get you.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I moved some stuff around (mostly just raids into the second post), and then added this stuff to it. Basically, the OP is now a getting started and what to farm guide, while the second post is on end game content.

Malgrin posted:

Meta Arena Squads
New section here, and I'll try to update it every month or so (if you are reading this and think it's out of date, call me out in chat or PM me). Anyways, here goes. I'm separating heroes into Tier lists so you can get a sense of priority as well. Tier 1 means OP. You can run these heroes at basically any star level and they will improve your team comp (exception: Chirrut. He needs Baze, but Baze doesn't need Chirrut). Please note that the lower their star level, the more gear you'll need to compensate for low health. Tier 2 means that unless a team is only T1 heroes, you'll find these guys in the whaliest of team comps. These guys are generally really good on their own or with others. Tier 3 means you'll find these guys sprinkled into other team comps. QGJ is a perfect example -- he's a solid hero in virtually every aspect of this game, and is great at debuffing. You will still see him in top team comps, but you might see him once in the top 10 of your arena, as compared to Wiggs, who are probably in at least half of your top 10. Tier ? means no one really knows yet. For example, Bistan and Cassian are currently in there. They could be really good, but I don't know anyone that's running them yet.

Tier 1: Baze, Chirrut, Stormtrooper, Jyn
Tier 2: EP, TFP, Wiggs, RG, JKA, Vader, STH, K2, Barriss (with Zeta), Rex, Sun Fac, Aayla, B2, GK
Tier 3: QGJ, AA, Lando, K2, Han Solo, Fives, Old Ben, Clones, Droids, JE, Ahsoka, Rey, Daka, EE, Yoda
Tier ?: (e.g. newer heroes): Bistan, Cassian

Top Meta Squads:
Wiggs (L), Chaze, +1
EP (L), TFP, +3
Rex (L), +4

Sadly, Chaze define the meta right now. If you don't have them, they are supremely hard to beat. Baze on his own is pretty tough to beat, but throw in Chirrut and it's really hard to beat without your own Chaze. Boba is a pretty decent counter (give Chirrut lots of buffs, and then execute), and Ventress is another option (give her lots of speed and just use her debuff). With any of the teams above though, Chaze are the best option.

Squad Tournament

Squad tournaments are kind of like if GW and Arena had a bastard step child. You get to pick between 3 options, and can refresh until you find a battle you want to fight. The more points you have, the less points you get per win. You get full points for killing all of your opponents and losing no heroes. I don't remember the exact ratios, but you get more points for having all your heroes survive than you do for killing all of their heroes. I think if you retreat you lose everything. Once you've used a set of heroes to attack, they cost an increasing amount of AP to use again. At the start of the tournament, you get to set a defensive team -- this team is set through the whole tournament, and changing mods mid tournament will affect the defensive team.

These are CG's new favorite way of releasing new heroes (Chirrut, Jyn, Cassian, and DV's ship all came to us this way), and the downsides are that you have to spend GW credits on AP so that you can go into the tournament with several hundred thousand. It cost me about 200k to earn top 25 in the most recent DV tournament.

Some pointers: Wait a few hours to enter. The biggest whales like to get started right away. You'll still have some 6 hours later, but not a lot. New shards are created about every 5000 players. Recent tournaments have had no refreshes, so you can wait as long as you want to join, but you probably need 2-3 hours of attacking if you want to climb to the top. My preference is to join after about 10 PM Pacific as people are going to bed around then, midnight to one is great. I don't attack though, I then wait until morning. This way, everyone in my shard is earning points, but not me. When I wake up, I start attacking, and I have a whole bunch of easy targets before I start hitting the hard ones. This lets me use cheap teams that don't cost tons of AP (they start at free, then 100 AP per hero per refresh and scale upwards of 1k). At the start of each tournament, I outline the squads I want and plan ahead with mods. Depending on the shard, I'll run anywhere from 2 to 4 moderate teams (think Tier 3 and below heroes), and then my top 3 squads (as of this writing, Empire, Rebels, Droids). Here's what my notes looked like for the most recent tournament (DV's ship):

Key: (weak, middle, strong)
W1: CC, Teebo, EE, JC, GS
W2: AA, Leia, Poe, Lumi, Fives
W3: Phasma, FOTP, Daka, Rey, Nebit
M: JKA, Barriss, QGJ, Yoda, Fives
S3: HK, 88, 86, K2, JE
S2: Wiggs, Lando, STH, Boba
S1: EP, Vader, TFP, RG, Shore

Leftover: Dathcha, Eeth, RP, Ahsoka, Tarkin, Dengar, Scavenger, Poggle, Dooku, Luke, HRS

I started by modding S3 with my best mods, and W1 with my second best mods. I climbed to 1k per hero per refresh with W1, and then moved those mods over to W2. After they got close to 1k, I hit a point where I couldn't progress much farther, so I moved mods to W3 and started attacking with S3. Every now and then, I hit a team comp I could beat with W3 and moved in with them. I ran S3 up to 1k per and moved to S2, repeated, and moved on to S1, where I just attacked until I ran out of time. I never actually ended up using M, and barely used W3, so I might cut out W1 and W2, or do some consolidation there, so that I just have 5 teams for tournaments where I'm going deep. If I'm not going deep for a tournament, I'll probably run 7-8 teams up to 250 per hero per refresh and call it good -- roughly 20k AP.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Once I have my Droid team finished (HK and IG88 are done. Working on IG86 next and then Jawa Engineer, Nebit is done). I think I want to make a proper Dark Side team as EP is fun.

I've also been thinking about the future. What are the chances we need a strong First Order and Resistance squad by the time the new movie is out? Wonder if it's worth working on Poe and Finn at the moment..

Stormtrooper Han's AI doesn't understand Shock. He'll still taunt even with it debuffing him.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 3, 2017

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Numismancer posted:

What's better?

It's been said but lando lando lando. Another thing I stress to people that have just started and are working their way through the battles is not to make the mistake I made concerning ewok elder, who is very useful for raids: start farming his hard nodes every day as soon as you can. There are only two, and apart from occasional appearances in the guild store that's the only place you can get shards for him. It takes bloody ages to star it up.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

Malgrin posted:

I moved some stuff around (mostly just raids into the second post), and then added this stuff to it. Basically, the OP is now a getting started and what to farm guide, while the second post is on end game content.

I think you mean Shoretrooper, not stormtrooper in the OP section.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Just got Vader's TIE and noticed that he has fairly easy G10 requirements although he does require 100 Carbanti's that I could use on Sun Fac (G8 atm), so, deep roster people - should I take a quick detour to get Vader to G10 or is Sun Fac crucial?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iGestalt posted:

Once I have my Droid team finished (HK and IG88 are done. Working on IG86 next and then Jawa Engineer, Nebit is done). I think I want to make a proper Dark Side team as EP is fun.

I've also been thinking about the future. What are the chances we need a strong First Order and Resistance squad by the time the new movie is out? Wonder if it's worth working on Poe and Finn at the moment..

Stormtrooper Han's AI doesn't understand Shock. He'll still taunt even with it debuffing him.

I've noticed my Han will and defensive han won't :(

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 3, 2017

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Game just straight up stole Crystals.

I used 50 for a normal refresh. Used the refresh to grind enough Mk 3 Sienar Holo Projector Salvage. Went to build it and upgrade HK47 and the game froze and crashed. Reboot it and.. I have lost all the stuff from the refresh - items, money etc. But I'm now at 100 Crystal refresh, so it went through. What the gently caress.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 3, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I think I'm kinda finished with this already, rip

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

I think I'm kinda finished with this already, rip

Yup, it's super fun and rad for like 2 weeks then it turns into an endless shard grind with no end in sight.

My love of the Star Wars is the only thing that keeps me going.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Yup, it's super fun and rad for like 2 weeks then it turns into an endless shard grind with no end in sight.

Also running into six star guys when you only have fours and their six stars are things like Royal guards

Which at level 45 can really only be bought

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Also running into six star guys when you only have fours and their six stars are things like Royal guards

Which at level 45 can really only be bought

That in GW? Because GW is rando as gently caress.

I hate it. I hate the robot version of it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

That in GW? Because GW is rando as gently caress.

I hate it. I hate the robot version of it.

Arena

I hit rank 30 and then the teams I fought were just not possibly on f2p

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Arena

I hit rank 30 and then the teams I fought were just not possibly on f2p

yeah :smith:

There's always gonna be whales, but there shouldn't be -that many- whales.

The lovely thing about this game is it's so slow that alot of whales have started rolling alt accounts, which is just ugh.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

The lovely thing about this game is it's so slow that alot of whales have started rolling alt accounts, which is just ugh.

I'm in a guild that is populated by exactly that

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

Pretty certain this is true for the majority of us :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Pretty certain this is true for the majority of us :)

Saw Rogue One again last night.

That movie is solid loving golden good. I can't even.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Do the whale alts also spend money on the alts? Because if so ... :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Karzon posted:

Do the whale alts also spend money on the alts? Because if so ... :suicide:

some, but I think it's mostly to get good shards and own them with ideal comps in the sea of newbs.

If you can secure a top 5 spot in a new shard you can pretty much buy whatever you need with the excess crystals.